Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time wasting - kicking the ball away - free kicks from the wrong place 18:57 - Nov 8 with 826 viewssaint901

All of the above obvious in the Newcastle game - and every other game this season I have seen.

Time wasting, especially by keepers is so frustrating. Pickford should have red carded for this against us and Pope as well. Also why does it take a team who have scored at least three minutes to return to their half. Here's an idea. If your team has scored and you're not back in own half inside 30 seconds, you have to leave the pitch until the ref brings you back on?

Players are kicking the ball away - not far usually but always to an empty space. This was meant to have been stopped many seasons ago. Clearly not.

How many times are players offside between pen box and corner flag but the kick is taken by the keeper centrally and 15 metres further up the pitch? Why not have a rule that says any offside beyond the 18 year line is taken on the 18 yard line?

I read the report from the "friendly" ref on here and he/she talks a lot of sense. However why bother with a forensic analysis when - for example - the three issues above still happen in EVERY game?
Time wasting - kicking the ball away - free kicks from the wrong place on 21:39 - Nov 8 with 706 viewsSFC_Referee

Firstly thanks for the praise of my analysis (and yes I am a he), just wish I got more of that on the pitch! 😂
But anyway with regards to your questions there’s a few fair points you’ve made but also a few things that could be said to counteract parts to your points, although I do very much get where your coming from and understand as to why you may be frustrated by it all.

So the placement/positioning of set pieces at a restart. All refs (including myself) will always give players a bit of leeway for where they take set pieces, especially when their movement is of no major benefit to their team (so like when defenders go a bit further back when taking a throw in in their defence half so it can reach a defender). As it’s no major negative for the opponents, so they won’t be complaining, and the leeway’s given just so that you don’t have to order a retake for every set piece.
But for your more attacking set pieces, it’s down to each ref themselves on how much leeway they give them. Which in the prem is a lot so that the games still flowing and it doesn’t become a static game with set pieces continuously having to be retaken due to not being in the right place.

Players kicking the ball away does get punished as well, it’s just all down to the levels that they kick it away. As the smashing the ball away to delay the taking by like a minute are almost always cautioned, and rightfully so. It’s just the usual little tap away to stop a quick free kick is never punished as if officials were to start giving yellows for them, then there’d be loads, and they’ve also have to caution players for quickly getting right up to the set piece taker to stop them from taking it really quickly, as under the LOTG both are cautionable offences, it’s just at any level they’re never cautioned as if they were, then there’d be loads of cautionings and both teams on the backs of the officials at every set piece.

And lastly with regards to time wasting, unfortunately in the prem the players know what they’re doing. As if we take out the extreme time wasting, then cautionings only ever occur when the winning team is doing it in a close game where the result could quite easily change, as in other games there’s no need for it hence why players never do it intentionally.
But for our more typical close game, what refs have to do is differentiate time wasting from taking their time. As there’s two main reasons why the refs don’t usually give out cards for time wasting, with one being the same as the kicking the ball away issue as too many players would get booked at the top level, and without a set time, that would lead to more controversies when those yellows turn into reds. The second reason is that players are intelligent enough to know how far they can push a ref before they’ll get cautioned, hence why many will take that set piece just a second or two before they know the ref will blow, which is why they’re soo very rarely booked as their intelligent enough to avoid them.

But at the end of the day there’s one major thing that’s done differently in the prem to the non leagues, as the prem officials are told to officiate games a bit differently to how I officiate certain non league games. As mine are about being fair and just controlling the game so that everyone’s happy, whilst prem refs are their to also make it fair, but also to not ruin/reduce the entertainment for all those watching, both in and out of the stadium.
Which is exactly why you never see players sent off for dissent in the prem, yet is occurs quite often in non leagues, why less yellows are given away for little petty things and more for the major incidents so that games don’t end as a 9V8 al the time, as well as why more leeway is given for set pieces so the game continues to flow and isn’t static, meaning that it’s more entertaining for the fans to watch.
As whether you agree overall about that or not is up to you, but those prem refs officiate game differently as they’re jobs to be fair but keep it entertaining, which sometimes means being less strict on certain rules and being less in the limelight for what they’ve done, which is more down to what the FA/prem tell them, rather than the refs and LOTG themselves.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2022 21:42]

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

Time wasting - kicking the ball away - free kicks from the wrong place on 22:04 - Nov 8 with 656 viewssledger

its quite simple,have a game clock that stops every time the ball is not in play,that way no arguments,fans get more football or in our case more misery
Time wasting - kicking the ball away - free kicks from the wrong place on 00:02 - Nov 9 with 608 viewspjt50

Time wasting - kicking the ball away - free kicks from the wrong place on 21:39 - Nov 8 by SFC_Referee

Firstly thanks for the praise of my analysis (and yes I am a he), just wish I got more of that on the pitch! 😂
But anyway with regards to your questions there’s a few fair points you’ve made but also a few things that could be said to counteract parts to your points, although I do very much get where your coming from and understand as to why you may be frustrated by it all.

So the placement/positioning of set pieces at a restart. All refs (including myself) will always give players a bit of leeway for where they take set pieces, especially when their movement is of no major benefit to their team (so like when defenders go a bit further back when taking a throw in in their defence half so it can reach a defender). As it’s no major negative for the opponents, so they won’t be complaining, and the leeway’s given just so that you don’t have to order a retake for every set piece.
But for your more attacking set pieces, it’s down to each ref themselves on how much leeway they give them. Which in the prem is a lot so that the games still flowing and it doesn’t become a static game with set pieces continuously having to be retaken due to not being in the right place.

Players kicking the ball away does get punished as well, it’s just all down to the levels that they kick it away. As the smashing the ball away to delay the taking by like a minute are almost always cautioned, and rightfully so. It’s just the usual little tap away to stop a quick free kick is never punished as if officials were to start giving yellows for them, then there’d be loads, and they’ve also have to caution players for quickly getting right up to the set piece taker to stop them from taking it really quickly, as under the LOTG both are cautionable offences, it’s just at any level they’re never cautioned as if they were, then there’d be loads of cautionings and both teams on the backs of the officials at every set piece.

And lastly with regards to time wasting, unfortunately in the prem the players know what they’re doing. As if we take out the extreme time wasting, then cautionings only ever occur when the winning team is doing it in a close game where the result could quite easily change, as in other games there’s no need for it hence why players never do it intentionally.
But for our more typical close game, what refs have to do is differentiate time wasting from taking their time. As there’s two main reasons why the refs don’t usually give out cards for time wasting, with one being the same as the kicking the ball away issue as too many players would get booked at the top level, and without a set time, that would lead to more controversies when those yellows turn into reds. The second reason is that players are intelligent enough to know how far they can push a ref before they’ll get cautioned, hence why many will take that set piece just a second or two before they know the ref will blow, which is why they’re soo very rarely booked as their intelligent enough to avoid them.

But at the end of the day there’s one major thing that’s done differently in the prem to the non leagues, as the prem officials are told to officiate games a bit differently to how I officiate certain non league games. As mine are about being fair and just controlling the game so that everyone’s happy, whilst prem refs are their to also make it fair, but also to not ruin/reduce the entertainment for all those watching, both in and out of the stadium.
Which is exactly why you never see players sent off for dissent in the prem, yet is occurs quite often in non leagues, why less yellows are given away for little petty things and more for the major incidents so that games don’t end as a 9V8 al the time, as well as why more leeway is given for set pieces so the game continues to flow and isn’t static, meaning that it’s more entertaining for the fans to watch.
As whether you agree overall about that or not is up to you, but those prem refs officiate game differently as they’re jobs to be fair but keep it entertaining, which sometimes means being less strict on certain rules and being less in the limelight for what they’ve done, which is more down to what the FA/prem tell them, rather than the refs and LOTG themselves.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2022 21:42]

Interesting read. Thanks! I must admit I never realised that PL referees got different instructions.

If players knew that things like deliberately tapping the ball away, blatant time wasting or dissent would be punished with a caution, wouldn't they learn pretty quickly not to do them — particularly if it was spelled out to them at the start of the season?

If LOTG aren't being applied consistently at all levels doesn't it make your job harder? Your players are seeing PL players getting away with things that they're getting a yellow for.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Time wasting - kicking the ball away - free kicks from the wrong place on 01:13 - Nov 9 with 579 viewsSFC_Referee

Time wasting - kicking the ball away - free kicks from the wrong place on 00:02 - Nov 9 by pjt50

Interesting read. Thanks! I must admit I never realised that PL referees got different instructions.

If players knew that things like deliberately tapping the ball away, blatant time wasting or dissent would be punished with a caution, wouldn't they learn pretty quickly not to do them — particularly if it was spelled out to them at the start of the season?

If LOTG aren't being applied consistently at all levels doesn't it make your job harder? Your players are seeing PL players getting away with things that they're getting a yellow for.

Yeah well many don’t realise that they get told different things, and it’s only when you start to officiate and get some experience that you relaid how different they can be.
As it makes sense as to why they’re told it all, as I presume you understand why the PL tell them all of this, and what to do differently in certain areas?

But with regards to cards and such, yeah it might work, but at the same time it would also just lead to more controversy and people blaming the officials more for not booking so and so, who later got another yellow so would’ve been sent off if he’d been originally booked etc… and the prem doesn’t want even more attention around the officials than we’ve currently got.
But at the same time, players would eventually get used to it so yeah your right it would probably get better, especially on the dissent side. So it’s hard to tell, but I personally wouldn’t be against it if it was to be enforced more strictly.

And your spot on with what your saying about happening in the prem can make mine and other lower down the ladder refs jobs a lot harder, definitely! As what loads of refs go on about is of how you see players get away with abusing officials all the time during and after the games, yet they never get sent off or any real suspensions for it, which is a really poor influence for youngsters and fans seeing it all who also think it’s then ok. Which then of course leads to more referee abuse and is a major reason as to why soo many young refs quite refereeing after such little time and soo very few become refs in the first place!
But it’s not just dissent but also other things like time wasting, the 6 second rule etc… as they’re soo very rarely punished in the prem, whenever you do punish them for it in other leagues many people (especially parents back when I was doing youth games!) would always go on about “oh but that never happens in the prem”, which not only makes it look like us lower refs are in the wrong, but is also the things that persuade them into doing it in the first place.
So yeah your completely spot on with that point, and it’s something that many refs go on about, and is why we never discuss EFL or PL games/incidents at any meetings we do, as it’s just not the same and Caaba really be compared.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2022 1:16]

Poll: Who’ll win the playoffs

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024