Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ward-Prowse's new role 18:23 - Jan 17 with 557 viewsresearchersaint

Wrote the below article about how Ward-Prowse's new role is getting the best out of him and allowing him to be a key attacking influence. Check it out if you fancy it.

https://analyticsunited.co.uk/2023/01/16/james-ward-prowses-new-role/
Ward-Prowse's new role on 10:31 - Jan 18 with 418 viewssaint901

Interesting and I'd largely agree.

I think however more credit needs to be given for two very influential factors.

First, in the recent cup games and at Everton, the whole team seemed to have more confidence and were more inclined to see a forward pass rather than a nervous crossfield or backward pass. It could be argued that this was because of the second point below or it could be that a little confidence goes a long way. If players making forward runs are actually in with a chance of receiving the ball, they'll carry on doing it. This change in attitude must be laid, to his credit, at the managers door. (It is however fragile and we will need to keep the faith.)

Second, the decision to play JWP further forward has implications for other players as your graphic shows. Adams was forced to the channels more often and therefore became more of a link player for others going past him. This suits him. Armstrong (A) has always been better as a slightly deeper lying player able to use his key asset, his pace, and run at people. With JWP further forward he is able to do that.

Having JWP further forward also means that the high press is engaged (a mid/low press without him is weak) and that drags the likes of Diallo forward. Overall we are more compact and harder to play through.

Everton fell into that strategy because they like to get the ball wide and cross for Calvert-Lewin. Having advanced full backs/wing backs, cut that space down and stopped their game. (They are also low on confidence and therefore less inclined to play a risky over the top pass, even though Gordon has pace to spare).

The Villa game will be interesting. First, they are a more physical side than most and will test the boundaries of the laws. Second, their strikers are a good mix of a poacher (Ings) and what I would call a floating striker position with a couple of players with decent pace. Playing a high line against them risks that over the top ball and a team in the form Villa are in, may well try that.

Equally I think Villa's defence is perhaps the most static in the league. They seem to play in very defined positions with a reluctance to move into another defenders "area" and often when they are forced to, we see scuffed clearances and some confusion. Mings in particular is great when the ball or player is coming at him but when the player in front of him goes into another defenders "area", you can see Mings switch off. Playing a false 9/number 10 as JWP is, could exploit that provided the two DM's for Villa can also be pulled around a little.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024