Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No striker = no goals? 13:27 - Apr 21 with 362 viewsresearchersaint

Wrote this article about Southampton's approach against Palace and our struggles with no presence in the final third and our inability to play to Onuachu's strengths when he did come on. Really hope Sellés plays a striker tonight but wouldn't be surprised to see us line up in a similar way unfortunately.

https://analyticsunited.co.uk/2023/04/20/saints-search-for-goals/
No striker = no goals? on 13:56 - Apr 21 with 324 viewsIfonly

I agree with a lot of your articles. I fully agree that we need to play a striker but we're not going to. Nick reckons Tall Paul will start tonight. Pigs might fly I reckon. Selles has boxed himself in to a corner with his statements about how our "identity" is a high press. Whatever you can say about Tall Paul, he's not built for pressing, so he's very unlikely to start. Even if he's brought on, we seem incapable of adapting tactics to play to his strengths.

It seems Selles' only attacking plan is to win the ball high up the field and catch the defence out of position. Sometimes that can work, but not often enough. We need to have a cutting edge as well and Selles seems clueless about how to provide it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024