Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saints V Aston Villa The Verdict 10:30 - Feb 23 with 660 viewsSaintsNews

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/52042/saints-v-aston-vil

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Saints V Aston Villa The Verdict on 12:52 - Feb 23 with 578 viewsA1079

From the moment the players walked onto the pitch to the final whistle, the whole team seemed to be up for it yesterday and that fed the fans and the fans fed the players.

The whole team gave a consummate display of domination and this was a thrashing without the scoreline.

Every player gave their all. I don't think there was a blade of grass that Djenepo did not cover. True, it was not always clear to anyone what he was trying to do, but his work rate and effort was second to none. Even when he lost the ball he chased to get it back again. The whole back line looked competent and JWP really did seem to take the lead in the position at Right back. McCarthy had a couple of wobbly moments in the first half which a good team may have capitalised on but that aside this was probably as good as display as you could have expected and it was just pure entertainment. It may seem churlish and pedantic to highlight some on-going issues, such as having 28 shots and having to wait until almost the final kick to put the game out of reach - indeed, I think most in the ground were still expecting a poor Villa to undeservedly grab something. Yet, if that had happened it would have been the defence that would be criticised not our failing to convert more of our chances. Also, our final ball at times was not good enough, especially during a spell in the middle of the 2nd half.

Villa were truly poor and I don't think anyone expected that. Always difficult to know whether we made them poor or they made us look better. But, whatever the fact, Saints players gave there all showing team work, spirit, fight and determination. I did doubt Ralph's decision to take Long off, but he got away with it.

A word about the fans which have been somewhat maligned recently. Give us something to sing and shout about and we will and yesterday we did. The atmosphere matched the desire on the pitch and it all made for an enjoyable afternoon.

I still don't want to talk about being safe - 7 to 8 points should do it, but we should be striving to get as many points as possible. Very often, form going towards the close season will be mirrored in the start of the next. Off pitch though, the board and all should be now firmly planning their summer shopping list and targets and not wait until the final walk around the pitch has been completed. If they don't, then we risk repeating the same old issues.

But, for once, I/we can bath in a good game, a good atmosphere, a good home result and a nice feeling.
Saints V Aston Villa The Verdict on 13:33 - Feb 23 with 547 viewsSaintsforeverj

This was a very enjoyable game. The team were superb and the fans responded. We looked so good yesterday. How we can look so bad and disjointed in some games yet we are superb in others is baffling. Every player was excellent, even the subs who came on - just willing Adams to score! Smallbone looks some player too. WP at right back was just outstanding and I can see Djenepo becoming a cracking player and fans favourite.

But like the previous poster said - give the fans something to cheer, give us some success and we are as good as any fans in the league. All we want is to have some relative success. Watch the place erupt if we do.
[Post edited 23 Feb 2020 13:37]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Saints V Aston Villa The Verdict on 18:28 - Feb 23 with 425 viewsCenturion

Glad for 3 points in a potentially difficult game.

Watford defeat means we are 10 points clear and you would think Liverpool will beat Wham.

I would be happy with a draw at the London Stadium but I would imagine Wham will have to go for 3 points.

Two wins from safety for the Saints. It seems a long time since the Leicester debacle.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024