Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting real post Grimsby 13:58 - Mar 3 with 939 viewssaint901

I'm not going to blame Selles for picking a second team against Grimsby. His focus is on survival and risking his "better" players in a game where you can expect some less gifted players to be steaming in, makes no sense. So I'm disappointed but recognise that the two penalties were debatable (interested to hear what our resident ref might say about them) and we also had chances to score.

And that was the one bright spot, chances to score.

By my reckoning we're going to need 38 or 39 points to stay up. That's 20 points from 14 games.

I can presently see only 12 to 14 points unless we can find a way of playing differently.

My fear is that with a tall CF is hampering us. We seem to want to play up to him and collect a knock down, but that is a low percentage game. Even if we pick up 1 in 5 of those, we need to get support forward.

JWP - who was a success at the No 10 - is now a little deeper to accommodate said CF and that is dragging back the wide players and pushing the DM back onto the defenders. Overall a team that is in good shape going backwards and defending, but will struggle to attack.

Further, a tall CF and speedy companion are good only if we make some crosses. Landing a goal kick on the CF is - as above - a low percentage play. Throwing in a cross where the defender and CF are more static is a higher percentage. To do that we need to be pressing and have people who can cross the ball.

JWP - yes. KWP - can do but also erratic. S Armstrong - can but is better arriving late in the box. Theo (who seems to be flavour of the month) can but again is inconsistent and these days thinks he a central striker. So I'm struggling to see where this might come from.

My reluctant conclusion is that we need to play percentages - certainly at home.

It matters not if we lose the next 4 or 5 at home. We therefore need to take a chance.

I would be tempted to start games with a defensive set up and then to change it up on 60 minutes by bringing on the speed merchants and switching to 3-5-2 in order to press their box. I'd be telling the players to throw the ball into the box at every opportunity.

We may still lose but we'll have fun.
Getting real post Grimsby on 14:05 - Mar 3 with 912 viewsmushinexile

That will be too late and we will need to come back from two down.
Getting real post Grimsby on 14:21 - Mar 3 with 883 viewsdwayne_dibley

Getting real post Grimsby on 14:05 - Mar 3 by mushinexile

That will be too late and we will need to come back from two down.

arranging deckchairs comes to mind

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Getting real post Grimsby on 21:42 - Mar 3 with 749 viewsNewdawn2014

not used to fun , pain and embarrassment are the norm.
Getting real post Grimsby on 07:57 - Mar 4 with 639 viewsdwayne_dibley

Getting real post Grimsby on 21:42 - Mar 3 by Newdawn2014

not used to fun , pain and embarrassment are the norm.

that is why I stopped using Asda and went to Aldi

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Getting real post Grimsby on 08:02 - Mar 4 with 628 viewssaintwizzler

The real problem is our players are not good enough and a coach who is now manager.

We will see later.
3 points and things look different.

WE MARCH ON

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024