Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
for the older swans fan 13:12 - Mar 7 with 8444 viewsdulaisjack

we have now left the vetch many years ago now and made our home at the liberty, for all you older fans what do you miss the most from the old vetch days.
Will start it off looking at the flood lights at an evening game hearing the north bank singing
[Post edited 7 Mar 2014 13:13]
for the older swans fan on 23:10 - Mar 7 with 1246 viewsSwanseajill

I miss the Harry Griff bar and all those fans that would be there many hours after the game. Only see a few on rare occasions now.
The double decker was definitely the best view of the pitch, and while doing the raffle I managed to view from all areas of the ground.
The white swan, repainted each season, looking splendid in the centre circle before the game.
for the older swans fan on 23:17 - Mar 7 with 1229 viewsRancid

Has the Swansea Jack pub been mentioned yet? Walked past it yesterday and it's in a ridiculous state.If you talk to any away fans who went to the Vetch they'll always mention the Jack.
for the older swans fan on 23:26 - Mar 7 with 1216 viewslonglostjack

for the older swans fan on 23:17 - Mar 7 by Rancid

Has the Swansea Jack pub been mentioned yet? Walked past it yesterday and it's in a ridiculous state.If you talk to any away fans who went to the Vetch they'll always mention the Jack.

Agree - town planning putting the car first has got a lot to answer for.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

for the older swans fan on 23:41 - Mar 7 with 1204 viewsSwanseajill

for the older swans fan on 16:21 - Mar 7 by max936

The Paxton was the place to be Mr Baker, I miss that boozer, the Clarence was another favorite.

The Paxton after the game, was frequented by some of the players when we were in the lower leagues. ...probably one of the reasons we stayed in the lower leagues for. so long.
for the older swans fan on 00:07 - Mar 8 with 1182 viewsTNT

Loving watching Robbie James boss games in Division Four.

Noticing him ripping off his tie up and throwing it to the ground during one game in '76, keeping one eye on it until the end of the game and climbing on to the pitch from the NB, running on the pitch and taking the tie up home and pinning it on my bedroom wall... it had Vetch Field mud on it too!

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

for the older swans fan on 05:27 - Mar 8 with 1136 viewsDoubleDecker

Remember once when Les Chappell was caretaker manager after Tosh was sacked chatting to him in the Paxton over a pint (both of us) and asking him how a mate of mine was doing at the Vetch on a trial from the Swansea League !!!

Picture the scene 2014 having a beer with Laudrup in the Premier Lounge................maybe not !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Days indeed ......
for the older swans fan on 05:53 - Mar 8 with 1129 viewsParlay

Sneaking around to the players entrance behind the family stand after a match and waiting for the players to come out was always pretty fun.

I was only about 12/13 at the time and used to go with a few older lads. All of a sudden Jason Price pops his head round from the players bar (porta cabin) and says "you guys want a drink?" Ended up having a Budweiser with Keith Walker et al.

Stealing grass from the pitch and planting it my own garden to grow the vetch field

Great days though. The game has changed since then beyond recognition - just look at the FA Cup these days. I will never get that feeling I got at West ham away and home again I don't think. Even away days at the likes of Macclesfield and Mansfield in league 2.

Edit*

Any games I couldn't go to - "watching" on teletext.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2014 5:55]

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

for the older swans fan on 08:43 - Mar 8 with 1084 viewsSwanseajill

for the older swans fan on 05:53 - Mar 8 by Parlay

Sneaking around to the players entrance behind the family stand after a match and waiting for the players to come out was always pretty fun.

I was only about 12/13 at the time and used to go with a few older lads. All of a sudden Jason Price pops his head round from the players bar (porta cabin) and says "you guys want a drink?" Ended up having a Budweiser with Keith Walker et al.

Stealing grass from the pitch and planting it my own garden to grow the vetch field

Great days though. The game has changed since then beyond recognition - just look at the FA Cup these days. I will never get that feeling I got at West ham away and home again I don't think. Even away days at the likes of Macclesfield and Mansfield in league 2.

Edit*

Any games I couldn't go to - "watching" on teletext.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2014 5:55]

Memories crowding in from that!
Remember Gareth and I coming home from touring Scotland in a camper van, and going to Mansfield game on the way back.
We had to leave our Setter in the van at a ground exit. Gareth went out half time to take him for a walk!!! How times change without us really knowing, or noticing.
'Sky' Walker was the landlord of the porta cabin.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024