Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters 14:32 - Aug 8 with 8744 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters

First and foremost, I'm writing about a tiny minority of posters on PlanetSwans. There are dozens of posters who are always courteous even in contention, and who not only disagree with me, often vigorously, but teach me while doing so, and there is another huge block of posters who can and do remain courteous at all times, even when not contending.

But, oh, the madness of some posters on PlanetSwans. One poster insults or disparages another poster, or misrepresents another poster's words, and the poster so put-upon blocks him. And who gets blamed for -- what? being inconsiderate? -- not the insulter, but the insulted.

What is offensive here? Blocking one who can't be civil? Or letting it be known that someone has been blocked?

Why is there an "ignore" feature on PlanetSwans? As a condiment to be put on hot dogs, perhaps? To be cut out and hung on a Christmas Tree (with apologies for bringing religion into this)?

As hard as this might be for a few to understand, I do not post on here or read posts in order to watch human beings attacking each other like rabid dogs. I do so in order to share thoughts about the Swans, to be amused by Welsh humour, and to engage in some intelligent discussions about important matters.

I do not appreciate foul language replacing argument, or being treated discourteously, or having my words twisted and the dishonest "misinterpretation" being used as if I said it. Those are the basic reasons why I block someone. Not having to read them helps me to maintain my peace of mind -- probably the main goal of my life in these troubled days.

To be quite honest, I would be deeply grateful to all of those who have either an unkind, sometimes even hateful, attitude toward me, or who feel intimidated [which is their fault, not mine], just block me! Please.

Unlike a few on here who think ill of me for blocking, I will appreciate being blocked. Even being told. Especially being told.

How often recently have we read many posters expressing concern about the deterioration of the discourse on PlanetSwans? So, let's start another "campaign." Everyone block people who are discourteous and twist words.

There would be two worthwhile results: (1) peace of mind for the blocker, and (2) shut down the real offenders -- kinda like voting them out with the "ignore" button.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

On on 18:20 - Aug 9 with 922 viewsllangyfelach

On on 18:12 - Aug 9 by Davillin

And there's you, too, misrepresenting what I say. I don't "block" someone because he irks me or grates on me, and I don't berate anyone's intelligence. The latter is of no importance to me, and the former is simply incorrect [no-one -- especially on here -- irks me or grates on me].

I block those who insult, use foul language as a substitute for reasoned discourse, and intentionally misrepresent what I write. How many times do I have to say that? Have you seen me block anyone for another reason? {I give the reason every time.]

If you would retract your insulting language and repair the misrepresentations, I'd be grateful.

If you wish to laugh at my insistence on courtesy, go to it.

Would never laugh at courtesy or politeness, old bean. I never get involved in spats on here as a rule, and hope that my words (laced with profanity, I appreciate) don't come across as bullying or intimidating. But all I see is you inviting criticism - this thread is a classic example - and then you berate the very criticism you asked opinion of

If you are afraid of an answer then don't ask the question. If you're not afraid of the answer then be fully prepared to accept that the answer may not be the same as yours

I bid you farewell and hope you enjoy the rest of this weekend. I'm off to get f*cking tw*tted

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

On on 18:30 - Aug 9 with 893 viewsCottsy

On on 18:19 - Aug 9 by Davillin

My hero.

I don't block those who disagree with me. I have said on here many times that I enjoy contention in discourse. I do not, however, appreciate foul language as a substitute for reason, insults, and intentional misrepresentation of what I write. I guess I have to make that my "signature line."

Wanna give the URL for "Mumsnet" so I can refer certain discourteous posters to it as a teaching tool? Thanks.

You're happy to intentionally misrepresent and insult others though.

If man evolved from monkeys why do we still have monkeys?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:33 - Aug 9 with 885 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:19 - Aug 9 by perchrockjack

It's one thing to hate an individual, quite another what they post

I agree completely.

I have said on here many times that I stopped hating a very long time ago. It is completely against the principles upon which I conduct my life. When we expect something from someone else, or from a situation, we will be either gratified or disappointed -- and we have no control over either. And being disappointed about something over which we have no control is foolishness and detrimental to our peace of mind.

I now refine that to add that I don't hate anything anyone says or writes, as I have no control over that either. Other reactions from time to time, but not hate.

Regarding being hated myself, I don't assume anyone hates me unless they say it or clearly demonstrate it, and then I do not respond with hate. It makes me sad, not for myself, but for them.

On on 18:43 - Aug 9 with 873 viewsllangyfelach

Hate is a horrible, tiresome emotion. Anybody whose whole existence is based on hatred has my pity. You can't hate forever. One day you have to question what emotions act as the fuel for your being. I think that anyone who genuinely posts in anger or replies in anger needs help
[Post edited 9 Aug 2014 18:44]

On on 18:48 - Aug 9 with 862 viewsDarran

On on 18:20 - Aug 9 by llangyfelach

Would never laugh at courtesy or politeness, old bean. I never get involved in spats on here as a rule, and hope that my words (laced with profanity, I appreciate) don't come across as bullying or intimidating. But all I see is you inviting criticism - this thread is a classic example - and then you berate the very criticism you asked opinion of

If you are afraid of an answer then don't ask the question. If you're not afraid of the answer then be fully prepared to accept that the answer may not be the same as yours

I bid you farewell and hope you enjoy the rest of this weekend. I'm off to get f*cking tw*tted

You've been discourteous to Cheap Trick loads of times you kant.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:49 - Aug 9 with 862 viewsDavillin

On on 18:20 - Aug 9 by llangyfelach

Stop calling me "old bean," please. It's disrespectful and offensive to me.

My original question was about "blocking" or "ignoring" posters, but as sometimes happens [even once is too often, really] certain posters arrive to attack me personally. I certainly do invite discourse, including reasoned disagreement, but I do not invite personal criticism - and especially not insults and discourtesy cloaked as "criticism." You misrepresented me again.

p.s. If you think I feel in the least "bullied" or "intimidated" by anyone on here, you are sadly mistaken. I'll leave it at that.

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:54 - Aug 9 with 855 viewslifelong

This thread is making me laugh now.

I can visualise a thread heading in the near future, 'FAO The Old Bean.'
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:02 - Aug 9 with 844 viewsjackonicko

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:54 - Aug 9 by lifelong

This thread is making me laugh now.

I can visualise a thread heading in the near future, 'FAO The Old Bean.'

Or do what I do. I'm ignoring the thread.
Login to get fewer ads

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:14 - Aug 9 with 836 viewsllangyfelach

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:49 - Aug 9 by Davillin

Stop calling me "old bean," please. It's disrespectful and offensive to me.

My original question was about "blocking" or "ignoring" posters, but as sometimes happens [even once is too often, really] certain posters arrive to attack me personally. I certainly do invite discourse, including reasoned disagreement, but I do not invite personal criticism - and especially not insults and discourtesy cloaked as "criticism." You misrepresented me again.

p.s. If you think I feel in the least "bullied" or "intimidated" by anyone on here, you are sadly mistaken. I'll leave it at that.

Not bothered in the slightest if you or anyone else on here for that matter feel bullied, as long as my words don't contribute to it then it's fine with me. Was bullied as a child until I battered the two instigators, so abhor bullies in any walk of life.

Life is too short, old 'un. Way too short to take random words from random nerds seriously.

I stand by what I say - you ask a question, then refuse to accept any other answer to the question unless it's your own

Dav, I genuinely respect your knowledge and experience, but I'm comfortable in my own skin these days to say that I have no respect at all for the way in which you deal with invited criticism

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:17 - Aug 9 with 827 viewsperchrockjack

You've obviously not been referred to as a scorcher or scouters, mart

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:31 - Aug 9 with 804 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:14 - Aug 9 by llangyfelach

Not bothered in the slightest if you or anyone else on here for that matter feel bullied, as long as my words don't contribute to it then it's fine with me. Was bullied as a child until I battered the two instigators, so abhor bullies in any walk of life.

Life is too short, old 'un. Way too short to take random words from random nerds seriously.

I stand by what I say - you ask a question, then refuse to accept any other answer to the question unless it's your own

Dav, I genuinely respect your knowledge and experience, but I'm comfortable in my own skin these days to say that I have no respect at all for the way in which you deal with invited criticism

You wrote that you "...have no respect at all for the way in which deal with invited criticism."

You seem to fail to understand that I did not in this thread, and never do, invite personal attacks and insults. A few posters on here do not know the difference -- or can't handle discourse without personal attacks and insults.

You also wrote that you "...stand by what [you] say - ask a question, then refuse to accept any other answer to the question unless it's your own."

I most of my posts on here I do not even state an opinion, often after being asked. I've even posted a few times that it's not my opinion I'm interested in, but yours. Your words directly above are another sheer misrepresentation.

I am left to wonder why you repeatedly see me in such a distorting light. I could make a few guesses, but they would do me no good, so I leave it at that. Except to suggest that you not block me.

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:45 - Aug 9 with 785 viewsSwanzay

As I previously said, Davs, you seem to judge others automatically on here as inferior to your own 'knowledge', without any realisation or respect others!
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:03 - Aug 9 with 759 viewsDarran

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 19:45 - Aug 9 by Swanzay

As I previously said, Davs, you seem to judge others automatically on here as inferior to your own 'knowledge', without any realisation or respect others!

Well you are. 😂

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:21 - Aug 9 with 741 viewsSwanzay

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:03 - Aug 9 by Darran

Well you are. 😂

Cant he 'defend' himself? I thought he was the fountain of knowledge and superiority on here, my mistake!
On on 20:24 - Aug 9 with 737 viewstrampie

On on 18:12 - Aug 9 by Davillin

And there's you, too, misrepresenting what I say. I don't "block" someone because he irks me or grates on me, and I don't berate anyone's intelligence. The latter is of no importance to me, and the former is simply incorrect [no-one -- especially on here -- irks me or grates on me].

I block those who insult, use foul language as a substitute for reasoned discourse, and intentionally misrepresent what I write. How many times do I have to say that? Have you seen me block anyone for another reason? {I give the reason every time.]

If you would retract your insulting language and repair the misrepresentations, I'd be grateful.

If you wish to laugh at my insistence on courtesy, go to it.

I responded to a post by you with the following :-

You mention ''All the U.S. did to help Britain in those early days'',
the US never entered either world war till late in the day both times, without checking it was something like a combined half a decade late.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You responded with ''If you know so little about history, keep your head down and be silent''. -
[I was right, check out the entry dates of the US in the wars ?, are you trying to rewrite history or something or are just thick ?]

You went onto say ''don't open your mouth to speak'' -
[You what ?, are you some kind of bully or something ?, that ain't going to work with me mush, or some others I can tell you].

Then you go on to say '' Now, before anyone makes a comment about me exiting when I'm defeated in an argument, I'm not and I'm not, but that's all I will say on this thread about this subject''. -
[So I take it from that, that you recognised you was out debated by me and probably thought that not to be embarrassed by the new kid on the block again you will block me].

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you may have actually blocked me or you may not have blocked me and are reading what I say, but nevertheless at least others can see from my post that you block posters for no reason.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2014 21:14]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

On on 20:25 - Aug 9 with 737 viewstrampie

On on 23:11 - Aug 8 by JackoBoostardo

I assume you're talking about me.

1) Goad you in to a response? Wasn't it a discussion on a forum?

2) Something controversial about "America"? Please, please, please don't ever criticise Britain, I may have to block you!

3) Personal attacks and insults against your country? Wow... makes me a terrorist in your eyes right?

Remember this thread?
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/115929/60-years-ago-toda

Or how about this one?
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/116106/page:1#.U-VIevldV

I can't even find the thread in which I allegedly "personally attacked" america. I did say I loved the US from my travels, and may even have criticised a few US policies on international matters, but to the extent of blocking someone instead of discussing it?

As I mentioned, it appears your posts are driven by ego regrettably.

Nice post.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

On on 20:27 - Aug 9 with 732 viewstrampie

On on 18:07 - Aug 9 by exiledclaseboy

Strange thread this. For me, having been around this place for much longer than is probably healthy, the people who "hate" me and especially those who disagree with me are the ones that make it worth coming back. I genuinely can't imagine blocking anyone until I'm left purely with a forum of people whose posts are so inoffensive, so bland and non-challenging that it would be like reading Mumnset.* I simply can't get worked up enough about what's said on here to consider anyone worthy of "blocking".

*Not that I've ever read Mumsnet you understand. I just imagine it to be that way. Honest.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I agree, top post.

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:27 - Aug 9 with 728 viewsJackfath

Are you all grown men?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:28 - Aug 9 with 729 viewsDarran

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:21 - Aug 9 by Swanzay

Cant he 'defend' himself? I thought he was the fountain of knowledge and superiority on here, my mistake!

I'm not defending him I'm abusing you. 😂

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:30 - Aug 9 with 722 viewsOnslow

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:27 - Aug 9 by Jackfath

Are you all grown men?

I am. Pubed up to f*ck, me. Hair and Adam's apples all over the f*cking shop

She keeps passin' me by...

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:31 - Aug 9 with 739 viewsJackfath

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:30 - Aug 9 by Onslow

I am. Pubed up to f*ck, me. Hair and Adam's apples all over the f*cking shop

This thread is great. Grown men telling each other they are not wound up and justifying why or why not they should put each other on ignore or not.

Going round and round and round and round in circles.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:35 - Aug 9 with 734 viewsOnslow

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:31 - Aug 9 by Jackfath

This thread is great. Grown men telling each other they are not wound up and justifying why or why not they should put each other on ignore or not.

Yep. It's the circle of life, the wheel of fortune

She keeps passin' me by...

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:42 - Aug 9 with 724 viewsSwanzay

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:28 - Aug 9 by Darran

I'm not defending him I'm abusing you. 😂

Oh Daz how can you ever abuse me? Do you really think you are of any significance to me in reality, your just here, here and here (PS) and I enjoy our banter.

I know this is your world(PS), so enjoy being the big boy, this is your stage, if it makes you feel better!
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:46 - Aug 9 with 714 viewsdickythorpe

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 20:31 - Aug 9 by Jackfath

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 21:05 - Aug 9 with 691 viewsCatullus

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:24 - Aug 8 by Davillin

Right! And they they come right back and be even more rude. Haven't you been reading these boards for the past several years?

Further, "telling them to feck off" is being just as rude and keeps the cycle going. Haven't you been following world history for the past several years?

You and I can agree, however. You tell'em to feck off; I'll block'em.

I haven't looked at my blocked list for a long time. I don't block anybody at the moment, although there might be a couple on there I have blocked in the past.

I'm trying to go down the road of if I don't like how someone behaves on here, generally trying to ignore the rubbish they post but answer any decent posts they may make.
It's not always worked, but it's currently good enough for me.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024