Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' 12:50 - Sep 29 with 2630 viewsAVFTT

BasilRobbieReborn's latest thoughts

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/blackpool/news/36401
"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 12:59 - Sep 29 with 2110 viewsMyMoney_MySayPart2

"It's not all that easy to put your finger on precisely why we are failing to get results."

-facepalm-
"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 13:11 - Sep 29 with 2098 viewsstraightatthewall

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 12:59 - Sep 29 by MyMoney_MySayPart2

"It's not all that easy to put your finger on precisely why we are failing to get results."

-facepalm-

Go one then....why are you unconvinced?

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 13:40 - Sep 29 with 2086 viewschesterbfc

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 13:11 - Sep 29 by straightatthewall

Go one then....why are you unconvinced?

As I see it ,and having just read Riga,s latest interview,are we just getting used to listening to our manager repeatedly telling everybody we are basically rubbish.
He must have by the law of averages signed some of these players,surely?
Did he sign Barnsley,s midfield?? and think he could improve them. Was Joe Lewis his or KoKo,s?,Orlandi? Why does he persist with the Fonz?, McMahon as captain? Miller?.
His comments are getting to sound like many other failures from the past and eerily like Alan Ball who blamed everybody including the tea lady.
"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 13:56 - Sep 29 with 2063 viewsLytham_FY8

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 13:40 - Sep 29 by chesterbfc

As I see it ,and having just read Riga,s latest interview,are we just getting used to listening to our manager repeatedly telling everybody we are basically rubbish.
Did he sign Barnsley,s midfield?? and think he could improve them. Was Joe Lewis his or KoKo,s?,Orlandi? Why does he persist with the Fonz?, McMahon as captain? Miller?.
His comments are getting to sound like many other failures from the past and eerily like Alan Ball who blamed everybody including the tea lady.

Alan Ball had more than six players two weeks before the season started.

"The money has not been taken out of the football club to pay for this hotel, but the money will be borrowed to build the hotel in part or whole"

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:08 - Sep 29 with 2050 viewsstraightatthewall

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 13:40 - Sep 29 by chesterbfc

Let me guess, Ollie showed that you can do it with less....?

If people refuse to open their eyes and see the actual truth rather than blindly accepting what Karl would prefer you heard then there's little hope left to be honest.

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:13 - Sep 29 with 2043 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:08 - Sep 29 by straightatthewall

If people refuse to open their eyes and see the actual truth rather than blindly accepting what Karl would prefer you heard then there's little hope left to be honest.

That's a very odd post, if you don't mind me saying so. For a start, there was no mention of KO in the OP or the reply you quoted - you and Lytham are the ones who were quick to shift the debate over to your favourite (only?) topic.

What you seem to be saying is that there is no opinion possible or permissible other than your own. It's not a stance that promotes debate, to be honest. And not like you either, in real life.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:15 - Sep 29 with 2038 viewschesterbfc

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:08 - Sep 29 by straightatthewall

Alan Ball started playing youngsters from about the 3rd week in, from memory didn't he blood the youngest player ever to don a Pool shirt. Whilst I,m in total agreement about the shambolic pre season do I now have to listen to that excuse for the rest of the season?. Then is not now.
"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:22 - Sep 29 with 2027 viewsstraightatthewall

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:13 - Sep 29 by basilrobbiereborn

That's a very odd post, if you don't mind me saying so. For a start, there was no mention of KO in the OP or the reply you quoted - you and Lytham are the ones who were quick to shift the debate over to your favourite (only?) topic.

What you seem to be saying is that there is no opinion possible or permissible other than your own. It's not a stance that promotes debate, to be honest. And not like you either, in real life.

Actually, I asked you why you were unconvinced. Would like to know what that's based on, because at present, I can't honestly see how anyone can judge the fella with a straight bat. He simply can't be considered good, bad or indifferent to my mind.

My second post was a reaction to chester's and I stand by it. It's just utterly absurd to blame Riga for anything, because it so spectacularly misses the real point and until the real point is addressed, discussing Riga's performance is pointless as asking why Bradley Wiggins can't win an F1 grand prix.

In some cases, I'm can't accept anothers opinion, because I know it to be wrong. Sorry, I know I sound arrogant and dismissive there. No doubt, even a cock. But it's the way I feel about this whole thing.

If the guy plays Lewis on the wing and Perkins in goal, then by all means hammer the mayo smothering fool, but until that recognise that miracles don't happen, no matter how hard you may want to believe in them.

Login to get fewer ads

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:33 - Sep 29 with 2012 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:22 - Sep 29 by straightatthewall

Actually, I asked you why you were unconvinced. Would like to know what that's based on, because at present, I can't honestly see how anyone can judge the fella with a straight bat. He simply can't be considered good, bad or indifferent to my mind.

My second post was a reaction to chester's and I stand by it. It's just utterly absurd to blame Riga for anything, because it so spectacularly misses the real point and until the real point is addressed, discussing Riga's performance is pointless as asking why Bradley Wiggins can't win an F1 grand prix.

In some cases, I'm can't accept anothers opinion, because I know it to be wrong. Sorry, I know I sound arrogant and dismissive there. No doubt, even a cock. But it's the way I feel about this whole thing.

If the guy plays Lewis on the wing and Perkins in goal, then by all means hammer the mayo smothering fool, but until that recognise that miracles don't happen, no matter how hard you may want to believe in them.

SATW

thanks I understand you better now, although you seemed to have had a general pop on the other site too. You're right, it does make you sound like a cock. (only teasing)

As to why I'm unconvinced ; well, earlier in the week I did post to point out that he's had hardly any time and I thought he deserved longer to show what he could do. I also said I thought it would be counter-productive to sack him.

However, as I said in the article, I consider him tactically rigid, and I've seen absolutely no evidence to suggest that he can change a match from the bench. And most of these players WERE brought in by him and his management team. I also said that I found his closed-mindedness about at least one of the players he inherited baffling. Finally, if you read the piece as a whole, it was implicit throughout that we were concentrating on defensive functionality at the expense of anything more expansive, and it self-evidently isn't working. Are you saying you didn't see those points, or did you just ignore them to go for the cheap sound bite? That's more FY8's style than yours.

(No subject) on 14:43 - Sep 29 with 1996 viewsKhonKaenSeasider

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:33 - Sep 29 by basilrobbiereborn

SATW

thanks I understand you better now, although you seemed to have had a general pop on the other site too. You're right, it does make you sound like a cock. (only teasing)

As to why I'm unconvinced ; well, earlier in the week I did post to point out that he's had hardly any time and I thought he deserved longer to show what he could do. I also said I thought it would be counter-productive to sack him.

However, as I said in the article, I consider him tactically rigid, and I've seen absolutely no evidence to suggest that he can change a match from the bench. And most of these players WERE brought in by him and his management team. I also said that I found his closed-mindedness about at least one of the players he inherited baffling. Finally, if you read the piece as a whole, it was implicit throughout that we were concentrating on defensive functionality at the expense of anything more expansive, and it self-evidently isn't working. Are you saying you didn't see those points, or did you just ignore them to go for the cheap sound bite? That's more FY8's style than yours.

All very well criticising systems or inflexibility but we appear to have a handful of players playing out of position every single match and no quality on the bench (or even the pitch come to think of it), to change things!!!

That's the starting point for our problems, players playing in unfamiliar roles because we have a squad as a whole unfit for purpose.

Granted, it doesn't explain why young Tom is omitted, which is a good point.

So long as we keep behaving like Oxfam FC, we're pretty much goosed, and we all know, yourself included, who is to blame for that.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2014 15:00]

It will absolutely change the club forever if we go up. It can’t fail to

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:55 - Sep 29 with 1984 viewsstraightatthewall

Are you really going down the line that this is the manager's squad?

I guess if you work on the basis that every player signed is approved by the manager because he hasn't said 'there is absolutely no way this lad is playing for my team' then OK, it's 'his' squad. I just think there's a ton of evidence collated over a period of around 10 years to indicate that the situation is MASSIVELY more complicated than that.

I 'had a pop' on the other site, because I wanted to make a point about how many still don't get it. Maybe it's time for Glenn to get out the Basildon Bond....

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:14 - Sep 29 with 1960 viewsbig_bloomers

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:55 - Sep 29 by straightatthewall

I guess if you work on the basis that every player signed is approved by the manager because he hasn't said 'there is absolutely no way this lad is playing for my team' then OK, it's 'his' squad. I just think there's a ton of evidence collated over a period of around 10 years to indicate that the situation is MASSIVELY more complicated than that.

I 'had a pop' on the other site, because I wanted to make a point about how many still don't get it. Maybe it's time for Glenn to get out the Basildon Bond....

STW - I'd say a half is the manager's squad however not the squad he would have wanted. I don't think there is a doubt he chose a large number of those players but more probably out of necessity than desire.

KO would've thought the Oriol Twins were from Little House on the Prairie!!

Poll: Protesting or Not Protesting - Official Poll

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:17 - Sep 29 with 1958 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 14:55 - Sep 29 by straightatthewall

Bu that's part of my point SATW. I do "get it". I understand what you think very well. I just don't agree with all of it, or occasionally much of it, most of the time. As to it being complicated - yes I agree, it is. Except when it suits you for it to be otherwise, in a "four legs good, two legs bad" kind of way.

As for the other point about the squad, I can just about see that Clarke, Ranger and Delfouneso might not have been Riga's picks (and two of those have done OK, actually).

McMahon, Dunne, Davies, Barkhuizen, McKenzie, Grant and Perkins were here when he arrived, and only two of them have really featured. . Are you honestly saying that Lewis, Parish, Daniels, Oriol (x2), Orlandi, Mellis, Cywka, Zoko, Zenjov, Miller, Dielna, Lundstram, Rentmeister and Cubero were anything other than his picks? Because I'd have to disagree if you said otherwise.

I accept that they might not have been his first choices, for the most part. And the how and the why that came about is the crux of our problems, I think we''d all agree about that. It clearly isn't all down to the manager, and I'd say that the chairman and the manager's agent have hardly covered themselves in glory.

However, all managers have to cope with not getting all or much of what they really want. If this is Plan B, it clearly has some deficiencies and I don't see why you and others get quite so affronted if people bring it up. Perhaps you can't bear to see the blame being spread around a little?

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:28 - Sep 29 with 1928 viewsFountain

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:14 - Sep 29 by big_bloomers

STW - I'd say a half is the manager's squad however not the squad he would have wanted. I don't think there is a doubt he chose a large number of those players but more probably out of necessity than desire.

KO would've thought the Oriol Twins were from Little House on the Prairie!!

I was under the impression that TOm B was injured.

I don't see how anyone can put the blame for the results at the door of the manager. Two weeks ago KO stated he was to back Rigan and recognised that we needed players. Two weeks on and diddly. That is where the blame should be placed. The Clarke 'injury' should have seen a loan in next day, but it didn't happen. Why?

As for the tactics, well the lack of alternatives maske the front 3 pick itself, as much to keep defenders busy as any attacking threat. One thing for sure in my mind is that you cannot player Miller and Ranger in the same team under normal circumstances. The same applies to Lundstrom and Perkins. The Manager's hands are tied- he needs players in and some players out.

If he gets those players, and results don't improve then have a pop at Riga, but until that day only a madman would place universal blame on him.

slap me on the patio

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:48 - Sep 29 with 1907 viewsAlfHooker

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:28 - Sep 29 by Fountain

I was under the impression that TOm B was injured.

I don't see how anyone can put the blame for the results at the door of the manager. Two weeks ago KO stated he was to back Rigan and recognised that we needed players. Two weeks on and diddly. That is where the blame should be placed. The Clarke 'injury' should have seen a loan in next day, but it didn't happen. Why?

As for the tactics, well the lack of alternatives maske the front 3 pick itself, as much to keep defenders busy as any attacking threat. One thing for sure in my mind is that you cannot player Miller and Ranger in the same team under normal circumstances. The same applies to Lundstrom and Perkins. The Manager's hands are tied- he needs players in and some players out.

If he gets those players, and results don't improve then have a pop at Riga, but until that day only a madman would place universal blame on him.

Founts,
Tom B has been fit since Shrewsbury; he played 90 mins v Morecambe in MIDFIELD and spent half the game playing CENTRE MID.
In the recent in house 11 v 11 he played the whole game at CENTRE HALF.
prior to that when thumped 7- 2 or whatever it was by Bolton Riga played im at RIGHT BACK.

Whatever the reason Riga seems to have an axe to grind with the lad or he and others are being used in the game against Koko.I'm not saying he's a world beater but he's a better attacking option that some of the dross we see week on week.

The only conclusion I can draw is that Koko signed the players so Riga plays them to make a point. This may also explain the bizarre substitution 3 mins into added time when losing 3-1.When you're winning , yes, run the clock down, but losing? Makes no sense unless said players are on appearance money and it hits Koko in the pocket.
"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:51 - Sep 29 with 1901 viewsFountain

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:48 - Sep 29 by AlfHooker

Founts,
Tom B has been fit since Shrewsbury; he played 90 mins v Morecambe in MIDFIELD and spent half the game playing CENTRE MID.
In the recent in house 11 v 11 he played the whole game at CENTRE HALF.
prior to that when thumped 7- 2 or whatever it was by Bolton Riga played im at RIGHT BACK.

Whatever the reason Riga seems to have an axe to grind with the lad or he and others are being used in the game against Koko.I'm not saying he's a world beater but he's a better attacking option that some of the dross we see week on week.

The only conclusion I can draw is that Koko signed the players so Riga plays them to make a point. This may also explain the bizarre substitution 3 mins into added time when losing 3-1.When you're winning , yes, run the clock down, but losing? Makes no sense unless said players are on appearance money and it hits Koko in the pocket.

Alf, fair enough and thanks for the info. Then I'd include him in the squad just for something that bit different.....PACE

slap me on the patio

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:56 - Sep 29 with 1890 viewsAlfHooker

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:51 - Sep 29 by Fountain

Alf, fair enough and thanks for the info. Then I'd include him in the squad just for something that bit different.....PACE

Founts,
No worries!It just doesn't make sense (not just Barks but the others also).
Well not to me anyway....
"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 16:08 - Sep 29 with 1874 viewsWizaard

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:56 - Sep 29 by AlfHooker

Founts,
No worries!It just doesn't make sense (not just Barks but the others also).
Well not to me anyway....

Those late substitutions have to be down to appearance money. It was too late to try and change the game plan.

Having said that, Zenjov went very close to scoring in our best move of the season to date...
"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 16:53 - Sep 29 with 1838 viewsstraightatthewall

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 15:17 - Sep 29 by basilrobbiereborn

Bu that's part of my point SATW. I do "get it". I understand what you think very well. I just don't agree with all of it, or occasionally much of it, most of the time. As to it being complicated - yes I agree, it is. Except when it suits you for it to be otherwise, in a "four legs good, two legs bad" kind of way.

As for the other point about the squad, I can just about see that Clarke, Ranger and Delfouneso might not have been Riga's picks (and two of those have done OK, actually).

McMahon, Dunne, Davies, Barkhuizen, McKenzie, Grant and Perkins were here when he arrived, and only two of them have really featured. . Are you honestly saying that Lewis, Parish, Daniels, Oriol (x2), Orlandi, Mellis, Cywka, Zoko, Zenjov, Miller, Dielna, Lundstram, Rentmeister and Cubero were anything other than his picks? Because I'd have to disagree if you said otherwise.

I accept that they might not have been his first choices, for the most part. And the how and the why that came about is the crux of our problems, I think we''d all agree about that. It clearly isn't all down to the manager, and I'd say that the chairman and the manager's agent have hardly covered themselves in glory.

However, all managers have to cope with not getting all or much of what they really want. If this is Plan B, it clearly has some deficiencies and I don't see why you and others get quite so affronted if people bring it up. Perhaps you can't bear to see the blame being spread around a little?

Robbie,

following up on the point about who has signed whom, I don't think that because a manager gets players who are way down on his wish list means we can then call them 'his squad' and then immediately move onto what his Plan B is. It's been obvious from day 1 that we're seriously undercooked and underfunded. All at a point where the need to be the opposite was paramount.

Time doesn't change that. Nor does is alter the fact that the squad is threadbare and severely lacking in quality.

And as an aside on the 'who side whom' issue, let me throw out a possibility here. Zoko is mentioned. Riga - looking at a squad of 8 and a few days till game 1 - decides that as he knows the guy and his basic assets eg, big strong with some pace, then it's worth a go given that his other choice is nobody at all. The same point can be applied to several of the squad.

And you continually reference Riga's agent as an issue here. Which smacks of the sort of 'one-track mind' you might accuse me of. We all get that you believe agents to be the devil incarnate. I still don't really understand why an agent would instruct his client, to take his second job in English football and then do everything within his power to feck it up beyond belief.

Final point; as said several times, talk of 'where's his plan B?' is laughable when we can all see that the guy hasn't even been able to properly employ Plan A. I might say that his Plan B is what you have been witnessing. Players working damn hard to not concede and hoping for the best. As referenced on the other site, the only other possible option I think he has, is to go long at every chance.

That's a viable and workable plan B for me. I don't want to see it, but it's an option.

Of course if he went there, he'd soon lose all support from the fan base. And you'd be near the front of the queue and still unable to see the wood for the trees.

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 17:03 - Sep 29 with 1824 viewsOldSkool

Riga clearly said on Sky Sports News about 5 weeks ago:
"I havent got any of the players I wanted..."

Why do some people choose to ignore that???
(No subject) on 17:26 - Sep 29 with 1807 viewsTangent

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 17:03 - Sep 29 by OldSkool

Some people are quite selective on what they want to ignore depending on what agenda they want to drive. There was nothing wrong with Riga's credentials before he came to Blackpool FC, as a matter of fact his win percentages are quite high. If Riga had the option of picking his players as, has been suggested I very much doubt he would have picked the ones we have.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2014 17:31]

“Unlike other clubs, we do things properly.” — Karl Oyston - 2013

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 18:18 - Sep 29 with 1778 viewschesterbfc

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 17:03 - Sep 29 by OldSkool

I will ask the question again, as we now appear to have 2 new signings, how many are Riga,s choices? and having read all the huff and puff ,who currently could tell me the players Riga will own up to ,and why does he constantly decry his own picks although you people in the *know* say with supreme knowledge only 1/2 are his "men" I happen to think he is negative and although there are glimmers of progress the football I,m watching both home and away is dire, nearly as bad as Ince
"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 18:55 - Sep 29 with 1753 viewsstraightatthewall

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 18:18 - Sep 29 by chesterbfc

I will ask the question again, as we now appear to have 2 new signings, how many are Riga,s choices? and having read all the huff and puff ,who currently could tell me the players Riga will own up to ,and why does he constantly decry his own picks although you people in the *know* say with supreme knowledge only 1/2 are his "men" I happen to think he is negative and although there are glimmers of progress the football I,m watching both home and away is dire, nearly as bad as Ince

Here's a thought, perhaps the quality of football might have something to do with the players he's able to sign.....

(No subject) on 18:57 - Sep 29 with 1751 viewsstraightatthewall

"Our Season shows no signs of picking up ..' on 18:18 - Sep 29 by chesterbfc

Here's a thought, perhaps the quality of football might have something to do with the players he's able to sign.....

(No subject) on 19:14 - Sep 29 with 1730 viewshertfordseasider

(No subject) on 18:57 - Sep 29 by straightatthewall

Funny how the only, yes the ONLY piece of publicity where we had Riga photographed, chuffed with a signing was with Cubero. We also had a soundbite, what have we had with the other signings and why does he keep saying his hands are tied, he isn't getting the players he wants, he is frustrated and that he is telling the truth?

I wonder how many of these players he has actually been in the room with when they signed, and I'm sorry, but if anyone thinks these 2 new players are his signings or what will help get us out of this shambolic mess then you are deluded.

The only thing I think is wrong with Riga now is that it is time for him to just walk away, KO will not give up, he should walk and tell it how it is and see what a mess we would be in then as KO scrabbles around trying desperately to get someone in to manage. It is pathetic.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024