Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Riga is tactically inept 21:42 - Oct 21 with 5447 viewsBertandErnie

Just watched another dull, uninspiring, lacklustre performance and am starting to think Riga is clueless tactically. No pace, no width, too many players staying back, two banks of four and a country mile to the strikers.

Whatever the lack of backing or quality of players, for me he is just a dull manager tactically. I'd sooner lose games 4-0 and have a go. Wondering if he's the manager we all hoped for.
Riga is tactically inept on 11:36 - Oct 22 with 1044 viewsSteveBanksDiscoPants

Riga is tactically inept on 11:25 - Oct 22 by Lala

Ah - are you Jane then as well as Jane Gallagher or are you one and the same ?

And top response btw

Yes. I'm also a lady :-). Janeyseasider on Twitter. I use SBDP on here.

Jane G is someone else.
Riga is tactically inept on 11:38 - Oct 22 with 1039 viewsLala

Riga is tactically inept on 11:36 - Oct 22 by SteveBanksDiscoPants

Yes. I'm also a lady :-). Janeyseasider on Twitter. I use SBDP on here.

Jane G is someone else.

Ah - hello then

SATW - I apologise, trust you to have the ladies real names off pat

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Riga is tactically inept on 11:40 - Oct 22 with 1037 viewsSteveBanksDiscoPants

Riga is tactically inept on 11:38 - Oct 22 by Lala

Ah - hello then

SATW - I apologise, trust you to have the ladies real names off pat

I went to the same school as SATW.
Riga is tactically inept on 11:41 - Oct 22 with 1033 viewsLala

Riga is tactically inept on 11:40 - Oct 22 by SteveBanksDiscoPants

I went to the same school as SATW.

Oh lord, poor you...

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Riga is tactically inept on 12:41 - Oct 22 with 1002 viewsTrashcan_Man

Riga is tactically inept on 10:51 - Oct 22 by SteveBanksDiscoPants

Riga has to take some blame. Totally negative last night. No wing play. 2 banks of four, massive gap between midfield and Miller. He needs to give up this trying to nick a 1-0. Oh...and John Lundstram is the most pointless player since John Doolan.

But but but...it wasn't two banks of four in the first half. He had the back four, Lundtram and Perkins in front of the back four and then Oriol, Orlandi and the Fonz playing as a three behind Miller. Because Ibe and Russell caused us so many problems in the second half, the doubling up Oriol and Delfonso had to do to contain them turned it into a midfield four. And that worked up to a point. Despite their constant threat, they didn't manage to create many clear cut chances.

I think he put a team out to do a job in a potentially fluid formation that could have turned into an attacking formation if Derby had had an off night and that nearly paid off. Compare that to Ince who played the same way every single game, whatever the opposition. I doubt we had 13 shots against Derby last season when they absolutely caned us. (Had Ince gone by then?)
Riga is tactically inept on 13:30 - Oct 22 with 980 viewsstraightatthewall

Riga is tactically inept on 12:41 - Oct 22 by Trashcan_Man

But but but...it wasn't two banks of four in the first half. He had the back four, Lundtram and Perkins in front of the back four and then Oriol, Orlandi and the Fonz playing as a three behind Miller. Because Ibe and Russell caused us so many problems in the second half, the doubling up Oriol and Delfonso had to do to contain them turned it into a midfield four. And that worked up to a point. Despite their constant threat, they didn't manage to create many clear cut chances.

I think he put a team out to do a job in a potentially fluid formation that could have turned into an attacking formation if Derby had had an off night and that nearly paid off. Compare that to Ince who played the same way every single game, whatever the opposition. I doubt we had 13 shots against Derby last season when they absolutely caned us. (Had Ince gone by then?)

I can fully understand the temptation and desperation to want to try something different to effect a different outcome. And I don't doubt that in small doses an improvement might happen sometimes.

But it's going to take a lot to convince me that the issue doesn't lie 100% with the quality of player we've recruited rather than how they are being deployed. As such, the manager or head coach has few true options. It's interesting that Ince was slated for his (lack of) style, but his general comment that if we opened up and went for it we'd get stuffed does seem to be proved true by the awful run of results we've had over a full season (starting back last October.) That sort of run stems from one thing and one thing alone and that's who you've got on the pitch. Tinkering with how and who we play will make as much difference as sandcastle trying to stop a tidal wave. I know it's hard and alien to all that we've done in the past, but right now, I think football is the last thing of importance at the football club.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Riga is tactically inept on 15:36 - Oct 22 with 949 viewsBertandErnie

Riga is tactically inept on 13:30 - Oct 22 by straightatthewall

I can fully understand the temptation and desperation to want to try something different to effect a different outcome. And I don't doubt that in small doses an improvement might happen sometimes.

But it's going to take a lot to convince me that the issue doesn't lie 100% with the quality of player we've recruited rather than how they are being deployed. As such, the manager or head coach has few true options. It's interesting that Ince was slated for his (lack of) style, but his general comment that if we opened up and went for it we'd get stuffed does seem to be proved true by the awful run of results we've had over a full season (starting back last October.) That sort of run stems from one thing and one thing alone and that's who you've got on the pitch. Tinkering with how and who we play will make as much difference as sandcastle trying to stop a tidal wave. I know it's hard and alien to all that we've done in the past, but right now, I think football is the last thing of importance at the football club.

SATW - I'll confess that was a vent anger on the keyboards when I got home last night post and on reflection, bearing in mind how we played in the first half, a bit harsh.

Totally agree about the KO situation and hope Riga does prove what a good manager he can be but he does need new blood and to a be a tad more adventurous at home!
Riga is tactically inept on 16:02 - Oct 22 with 938 viewsSteveBanksDiscoPants

Riga is tactically inept on 13:30 - Oct 22 by straightatthewall

Yeah first half you could see that, but second half we were so deep. However I will say the football is better to watch than under Ince. I just don't think Riga is totally blame free. We need to play to the little strengths we have, which is big bruisers up top basically, who need wingers, not midfield triangles then hoof.
Login to get fewer ads

Riga is tactically inept on 16:58 - Oct 22 with 918 viewsstraightatthewall

Riga is tactically inept on 16:02 - Oct 22 by SteveBanksDiscoPants

Yeah first half you could see that, but second half we were so deep. However I will say the football is better to watch than under Ince. I just don't think Riga is totally blame free. We need to play to the little strengths we have, which is big bruisers up top basically, who need wingers, not midfield triangles then hoof.

Well hoofball is pretty much the only thing that I'd suggest too. The midfield is not likely to create anything anyway.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Riga is tactically inept on 19:22 - Oct 22 with 891 viewsclarkestattoo

Riga is tactically inept on 16:58 - Oct 22 by straightatthewall

Well hoofball is pretty much the only thing that I'd suggest too. The midfield is not likely to create anything anyway.

What's wrong with Cubero - seems a bit strange that he has disappeared again so quickly - not up for the fight maybe - and Zenjov seemed happy to play for his international side and less so for his club side.

Always the problem with foreign players (without sounding a bigot) they come with a lot of European attitude!

Poll: Do you think Riga will still be in charge next Saturday?

Riga is tactically inept on 19:44 - Oct 22 with 885 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Riga is tactically inept on 19:22 - Oct 22 by clarkestattoo

What's wrong with Cubero - seems a bit strange that he has disappeared again so quickly - not up for the fight maybe - and Zenjov seemed happy to play for his international side and less so for his club side.

Always the problem with foreign players (without sounding a bigot) they come with a lot of European attitude!

Cubero got injured at Middlesbrough CT.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Riga is tactically inept on 20:05 - Oct 22 with 874 viewsOdinsRaven

Riga is tactically inept on 19:44 - Oct 22 by basilrobbiereborn

Cubero got injured at Middlesbrough CT.

Listened on radio and sounded like we were holding our own most of the game. We all know the players are league 1 at best. Only one person to blame through lack of investment. Koko out

Ps Lala hope you feel more chilled here but I miss you x
Riga is tactically inept on 20:09 - Oct 22 with 870 viewsWizaard

Riga is tactically inept on 20:05 - Oct 22 by OdinsRaven

Listened on radio and sounded like we were holding our own most of the game. We all know the players are league 1 at best. Only one person to blame through lack of investment. Koko out

Ps Lala hope you feel more chilled here but I miss you x

It's not Riga's fault that he can't make a silk purse out of an unfit sow's ear, because that's what he has to deal with.

Given the circumstances of the talent of Derby who had also gone five games without conceding, losing 1-0 to a late penalty was as good as it could have been.
Riga is tactically inept on 09:36 - Oct 23 with 844 viewssteve_g

Riga is tactically inept on 20:09 - Oct 22 by Wizaard

It's not Riga's fault that he can't make a silk purse out of an unfit sow's ear, because that's what he has to deal with.

Given the circumstances of the talent of Derby who had also gone five games without conceding, losing 1-0 to a late penalty was as good as it could have been.

Agree with most on this thread however he should take some blame if for instance he has game changing players available but is choosing not to use them - and that's what I hear about Ranger.

Poll: Has the O's treatment of fans re: court proceedings changed your opinion of them

Riga is tactically inept on 17:11 - Oct 25 with 818 viewsBertandErnie

I realise I apologised for maybe being a bit knee jerk with this thread after Tuesday but after listening to the commentary on today's game I wonder if I was actually 100% accurate!

Take KO out of the equation - Riga must have spent a few million on wages for this group of players and if it came to it I'd only want to keep about 3/4. For me we need a change - ideal starting with koko but as that won't happen Riga can now go for me.
Riga is tactically inept on 17:15 - Oct 25 with 792 viewsBigbrother

Maybe this is what Karl wanted. Keep grinding him down and when he does eventually sack him he'd have the fans blessing. My only hope is that whoever he brings in, he realises he has to back him. Time to stop playing games Karl and give us the club we deserve. Sadly for me that does include the departure of Riga who is an unfortunate scapegoat.

Poll: Who is King Rat in the Oyston Family

Riga is tactically inept on 17:15 - Oct 25 with 792 viewsccseasider

Time for Riga to go. Long over due.
Riga is tactically inept on 17:51 - Oct 25 with 781 viewsTwoPhillips

Out of interest, who did play left back today?

Poll: That final Premier League Relegation Place

Riga is tactically inept on 09:49 - Oct 26 with 754 viewsWindyMiller

Riga is tactically inept on 17:51 - Oct 25 by TwoPhillips

Out of interest, who did play left back today?

Perkins TP - tactically inept or forced in to a corner?!

Poll: Should Karl Oyston resign or be sacked?

Riga is tactically inept on 20:51 - Oct 26 with 742 viewswespens

Riga is tactically inept on 09:49 - Oct 26 by WindyMiller

Perkins TP - tactically inept or forced in to a corner?!

Quick question to those who went to Reading - did Lundstram or Orlandi improve from last Tuesday. I think this is where I have a problem with Riga - he doesn't drop players who have absolute stinkers week after week.

Poll: Would you ever play John Lundstram again?

Riga is tactically inept on 21:32 - Oct 26 with 736 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Riga is tactically inept on 20:51 - Oct 26 by wespens

Quick question to those who went to Reading - did Lundstram or Orlandi improve from last Tuesday. I think this is where I have a problem with Riga - he doesn't drop players who have absolute stinkers week after week.

Lundstram was pretty poor, I thought - certainly to blame for the penalty, which all stemmed from him miscueing an attempted volley at their goal!

Orlandi is neat enough on the ball, but not that great when we don't have it and not as precise as Oriol. he didn't have that much of an impact yesterday.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Riga is tactically inept on 08:42 - Oct 27 with 715 viewsHappy_Satsuma

Riga is tactically inept on 21:32 - Oct 26 by basilrobbiereborn

Lundstram was pretty poor, I thought - certainly to blame for the penalty, which all stemmed from him miscueing an attempted volley at their goal!

Orlandi is neat enough on the ball, but not that great when we don't have it and not as precise as Oriol. he didn't have that much of an impact yesterday.

Have to say Riga's inability to bring in a left back on loan is probably the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I reckon we could probably have picked up 5 points from these games if he'd brought one in.

Poll: Riga - Stay or Go

Riga is tactically inept on 14:58 - Oct 27 with 710 viewssteve_g

Think this thread basically reflects where we are at the club at the moment. Riga hasn't had the backing but then hasn't had the results. Unfair to say whether he's tactically inept or not - of course a new man coming in and changing systems and personell could prove that this set of players are better than Riga was making them look?

Poll: Has the O's treatment of fans re: court proceedings changed your opinion of them

Riga is tactically inept on 15:46 - Oct 27 with 699 viewsrigabeliever

Three things any new manger has to do:

1. Bring in a different style striker than the ones we have
2. Get some wide play in to our game
3. DROP LUNDSTRAM!!

Poll: When will Blackpool's first win come?

Riga is tactically inept on 15:53 - Oct 27 with 691 viewsSadallover

Riga is tactically inept on 15:46 - Oct 27 by rigabeliever

Three things any new manger has to do:

1. Bring in a different style striker than the ones we have
2. Get some wide play in to our game
3. DROP LUNDSTRAM!!

Can I add get some defensive cover at left back -play higher up the pitch - higher tempo - shoot on sight of goal and stop giving away stupid goals!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024