Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) 18:49 - May 17 with 11399 viewsTVOS1907

I'm trying to date this picture, which I think is after a game against Brighton as I don't think the fixture board would have been changed during the game back then.

Any suggestions?

[Post edited 17 May 2015 18:52]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 18:56 - May 17 with 6085 views49thseason

1963/64 or 64/ 65 (when Brighton were promoted as champions) in the old 4th division
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 19:13 - May 17 with 6046 viewsTVOS1907

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 18:56 - May 17 by 49thseason

1963/64 or 64/ 65 (when Brighton were promoted as champions) in the old 4th division

I wondered about those dates, but both Brighton games in those seasons were night matches (Aug 28 & Mar 22) so it would have been dark at the end of the match (assuming this is what the picture shows)

Maybe the fixture board HAD been changed and it was a game before we played Brighton?

How about v Brighton in April 1972? I'm leaning towards the 60s, but that game in 1972 was on a Saturday (Apr 29).

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 19:23 - May 17 with 6005 views442Dale

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 19:13 - May 17 by TVOS1907

I wondered about those dates, but both Brighton games in those seasons were night matches (Aug 28 & Mar 22) so it would have been dark at the end of the match (assuming this is what the picture shows)

Maybe the fixture board HAD been changed and it was a game before we played Brighton?

How about v Brighton in April 1972? I'm leaning towards the 60s, but that game in 1972 was on a Saturday (Apr 29).

Sorry, I don't get all this fuss about whether a fixture board is changed or not.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 19:31 - May 17 with 5976 viewsPDIDDY

You had sh ite crowds back then aswell

Gissa job

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 19:33 - May 17 with 5978 viewsYadHoDale

The chap in the leather jacket (towards the right edge of the picture) appears to have longish hair - too long for the mid sixties but not for 1972??

With most people on the photo having raincoats on, are there any experts in contemporary rainwear (anorak anoraks!) who can help. Or are old weather reports available on line??
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 19:41 - May 17 with 5956 viewsnordenblue

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 19:31 - May 17 by PDIDDY

Did you lot have a few unpaid loans back then too?
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 19:42 - May 17 with 5960 viewsTVOS1907

Yeah.

We obviously needed more bury fans to keep appearing.

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 20:29 - May 17 with 5868 viewsD_Dale

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 19:13 - May 17 by TVOS1907

I'd say August 1963 can be ruled out. It's obviously too light to be a night match, and as Brighton was the first home game of the season there wasn't an earlier game during which the fixture board might have been changed. Also, even for a Rochdale summer, everyone looks well wrapped up.

Again, it is too light to be 22 March 1965. If the board had been changed during the previous home game (and how likely is that: it would never happen nowadays?!) that would have been 13 March and a 3-0 win against Halifax. I mention the score as the fans in the photo look a shade dejected.

On 29 April 1972 they had reason to be disappointed, having seen a 2-1 defeat by soon-to-be-promoted Brighton which kept Dale in the relegation zone. [Four days later, Dale drew 1-1 at Brighton and then managed another 1-1 draw, at Port Vale, to end with 37 points, just ahead of relegated Tranmere and Barnsley (on 36 pts) and Torquay and Bradford C. (32pts).] It was also a showery day.

Is there a historian of the crash helmet who might date the specimen in the photo?
Login to get fewer ads

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 20:33 - May 17 with 5854 viewsTVOS1907

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 20:29 - May 17 by D_Dale

I'd say August 1963 can be ruled out. It's obviously too light to be a night match, and as Brighton was the first home game of the season there wasn't an earlier game during which the fixture board might have been changed. Also, even for a Rochdale summer, everyone looks well wrapped up.

Again, it is too light to be 22 March 1965. If the board had been changed during the previous home game (and how likely is that: it would never happen nowadays?!) that would have been 13 March and a 3-0 win against Halifax. I mention the score as the fans in the photo look a shade dejected.

On 29 April 1972 they had reason to be disappointed, having seen a 2-1 defeat by soon-to-be-promoted Brighton which kept Dale in the relegation zone. [Four days later, Dale drew 1-1 at Brighton and then managed another 1-1 draw, at Port Vale, to end with 37 points, just ahead of relegated Tranmere and Barnsley (on 36 pts) and Torquay and Bradford C. (32pts).] It was also a showery day.

Is there a historian of the crash helmet who might date the specimen in the photo?

Thanks.

As said, I keep leaning towards 1972 for the reasons you've mentioned, but it needs someone up with the fashion of that era to have a more definitive answer.

Although we might think otherwise, there would have been big changes in fashion from 1963 to nine years later.

Also, was the ROCHDALE AFC sign still there in 1972?
[Post edited 17 May 2015 20:36]

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 20:44 - May 17 with 5809 viewsroccydaleian

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 20:33 - May 17 by TVOS1907

Thanks.

As said, I keep leaning towards 1972 for the reasons you've mentioned, but it needs someone up with the fashion of that era to have a more definitive answer.

Although we might think otherwise, there would have been big changes in fashion from 1963 to nine years later.

Also, was the ROCHDALE AFC sign still there in 1972?
[Post edited 17 May 2015 20:36]

By 1972, hadn't the Dale had the new floodlights erected? If so from the angle from which that picture was taken wouldn't one be visible?
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 20:45 - May 17 with 5805 viewsPDIDDY

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 19:42 - May 17 by TVOS1907

Yeah.

We obviously needed more bury fans to keep appearing.

And me and the owd fella duly obliged

Gissa job

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 20:59 - May 17 with 5768 viewsBartRowou

1. The fixture board definitely says "Brighton" and "Saturday".
2. The trees behind the Pearl Street aren't very leafy so early spring is more likely.
3. John Craven (white shirt, left of centre) was born in 1940 if that helps.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 20:59 - May 17 with 5768 viewsD_Dale

That's a bit uncalled for, Piddler. Hope you aren't having one of your bad days. In fact, the crowds weren't that word you used: 5662 (1963), 7005 (1965) and 4283 (1972).
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 21:15 - May 17 with 5729 viewsfermin

If you enlarge the picture, the rest of the wording not hidden behind the man's head says:

'And H(ove Albion)
Saturday
Kick Off'

That would definitely confirm the midweek fixtures mentioned are out, assuming the poster does refer to the current game.

Am I correct in saying this is looking towards the main stand from the Willbutts/Pearl Street corner? Or is it looking towards the Willbutts Terrace from the Sandy Lane/Main stand corner? The former seems most likely to me based on the location of the turnstiles.

What is that structure to the right of the Rochdale AFC sign? It looks like a stack of portacabins.

Also above the stand to the left is what looks like some old floodlights stuck up on a pole. Does any of this help date it?
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 21:16 - May 17 with 5729 viewsmingthemerciless

I was at the 64-65 game against Brighton. It was a night match but the weather was fine and quite warm that night. That was the game were Bert LIster and Norman Gall got sent off for fighting. I remember it really well. The previous home game against Halifax was a Saturday game and the weather was typically March like. I was playing at the time but was I was injured so I went up to the game with my girlfriend of the time. She only went to two games and those were the two games, that's how I remember it.

I also remember the game in the early seventies. I'd been playing at TBA that afternoon and we shot off after our game to get in the last twenty minutes at Spotland.It was a rainy afternoon but by the end of the game it had by stopped raining.
So my guesses are the early seventies Brighton game or the sixties Halifax game.
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 21:18 - May 17 with 5717 viewsTVOS1907

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 21:15 - May 17 by fermin

If you enlarge the picture, the rest of the wording not hidden behind the man's head says:

'And H(ove Albion)
Saturday
Kick Off'

That would definitely confirm the midweek fixtures mentioned are out, assuming the poster does refer to the current game.

Am I correct in saying this is looking towards the main stand from the Willbutts/Pearl Street corner? Or is it looking towards the Willbutts Terrace from the Sandy Lane/Main stand corner? The former seems most likely to me based on the location of the turnstiles.

What is that structure to the right of the Rochdale AFC sign? It looks like a stack of portacabins.

Also above the stand to the left is what looks like some old floodlights stuck up on a pole. Does any of this help date it?

I think the 'Portakabins' (can we use that word?) is just the back of an advert board.

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 21:20 - May 17 with 5707 viewsTVOS1907

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 21:16 - May 17 by mingthemerciless

I was at the 64-65 game against Brighton. It was a night match but the weather was fine and quite warm that night. That was the game were Bert LIster and Norman Gall got sent off for fighting. I remember it really well. The previous home game against Halifax was a Saturday game and the weather was typically March like. I was playing at the time but was I was injured so I went up to the game with my girlfriend of the time. She only went to two games and those were the two games, that's how I remember it.

I also remember the game in the early seventies. I'd been playing at TBA that afternoon and we shot off after our game to get in the last twenty minutes at Spotland.It was a rainy afternoon but by the end of the game it had by stopped raining.
So my guesses are the early seventies Brighton game or the sixties Halifax game.

Thanks ming, that's great information.

I can't remember who gave me the original image and I think I posted it back to him after scanning, but I'll have a good look through my TVOS files again.

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 21:21 - May 17 with 5701 viewsPDIDDY

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 20:59 - May 17 by D_Dale

That's a bit uncalled for, Piddler. Hope you aren't having one of your bad days. In fact, the crowds weren't that word you used: 5662 (1963), 7005 (1965) and 4283 (1972).

Bad days, me? We all had decent gates back then I suppose, early 80s when they started to drop, if I remember rightly .hopefully ours will be on the up this season, especially for our promotion push

Gissa job

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 21:53 - May 17 with 5644 viewsmingthemerciless

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 21:20 - May 17 by TVOS1907

Thanks ming, that's great information.

I can't remember who gave me the original image and I think I posted it back to him after scanning, but I'll have a good look through my TVOS files again.

Just checked my record book. The seventies game I'm referring to were we dashing up from TBA's ground is the 3-3 draw on Jan 16th 1971. Hughen Riley scored all three for ' Dale. It could be the game in the photograph, the weather and style of clothes fits the bill.
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 21:58 - May 17 with 5629 viewsHuddersdale1

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 20:44 - May 17 by roccydaleian

By 1972, hadn't the Dale had the new floodlights erected? If so from the angle from which that picture was taken wouldn't one be visible?

I think thats the bottom section of one of the the old pre 72 floodlights you see in the pic, which were essentially lights fitted to a wooden structure made up of old telegraph poles
[Post edited 17 May 2015 22:24]
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 22:12 - May 17 with 5592 viewsTVOS1907

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 21:53 - May 17 by mingthemerciless

Just checked my record book. The seventies game I'm referring to were we dashing up from TBA's ground is the 3-3 draw on Jan 16th 1971. Hughen Riley scored all three for ' Dale. It could be the game in the photograph, the weather and style of clothes fits the bill.

But it would have been dark at the end of the game in mid-January.

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 22:28 - May 17 with 5565 viewsmingthemerciless

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 22:12 - May 17 by TVOS1907

But it would have been dark at the end of the game in mid-January.

Yeah, you're right.
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 22:34 - May 17 with 5555 viewsmingthemerciless

Maybe they kicked off early that day. Don't forget this was the era of power cuts and clubs not being able to use their floodlights.
One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 22:43 - May 17 with 5536 viewsHopwoodblue

It's definitely the Pearl St exit as you can see the twin lights behind the goal (well headlights more like). My first season ticket was our dreadful 73/74 season with the one home win 13th Jan 74 3-2 against Shrewsbury think we beat Southend away the previous October (2-1) to end up with a massive 21 pts 17 draws (only 2pts for a win in those days).

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

One for the older fans... (BigKindo?) on 23:04 - May 17 with 5495 views49thseason

The sheepskin coat would indicate 70s I guess, rather than early 60s
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024