Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland 15:36 - Aug 17 with 8592 viewsEsgaroth

Wife (and mother inlaw) and i are spending a week in the west of Ireland next year and are unsure where to get a cottage. We know for sure that we want to see the Cliffs of Moher but is there anywhere thats a good location to see a bit more. We have seen some nice cottages in the Galway area or some further south towards Kenmare and Killarney.

Ireland appears to be like the west of Scotland, stunning views but long drives in between places.

Any advice will be helpful

Been here since 1984. Now THAT is what you call punishment

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 08:21 - Aug 18 with 2721 viewsElHoop

I really liked Connemarra in fact, would go back there. The town is a bit kind of touristy as I recall but the scenery is fantastic. Cliffs of Moher are definitely worth a visit, even if it is raining, which it was when I went. Tralee brings back memories - long time ago now - we were staying in a B & B in Rose of Tralee week and the landlady had tickets for the Saturday night I think it was, which she didn't want - we didn't know anything much about it all, so we went out on a pub crawl all night and then went along to this marquee place where everyone was wearing dicky bows and dancing properly and stuff and we had mud all over us from the somewhat riotous pubs. We were lurching around the dancefloor a bit i think, probably not totally out of place in that respect but it seems a bit embarrassing thinking back now.

Ennis i always try to get to as my grandfather was born round there, not that he ever knew me or me him - he was long gone before i came along. I reckon that i must have the oldest grandfather round here - born when Disraeli was PM! Ennis is nice anyway, a proper sort of town. Lahinch - we rented a place for a week a few years back, for a wedding. That was a good week. Lahinch definitely big into surf if you surf.
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 08:33 - Aug 18 with 2709 viewsaston_hoop

This is inspiring me for a little holiday now, never been to the west coast of Ireland but its sounds bloody great!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 08:52 - Aug 18 with 2693 viewshovehoop

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 17:20 - Aug 17 by A40Bosh

+1

The Wild Atlantic Way, down from Mayo (Westport) through Galway and Clare and into Kerry (The Ring of Kerry) and then West Cork, it's all lovely, it's just getting a decent bit of weather. Some truly stunning scenery and lovely town and coastal villages.
Spent 4 nights up last summer in Delphi Lodge just as you arrive into the south of Mayo. We were right next to Doo Lough, truly stunning place.

Funny you should mention Doo Lough. I have a picture on my wall of the kids and I skimming stones when the water was still, like a mill pond. We were fortunate with good weather though. You can also visit Leenane and follow Irelands only fjord.

I also vowed to return to a place called Roundstone. I was driving west out of Galway towards Clifden and saw the sign to Roundstone so changed course with no particular plan in mind. Ventured onto two beaches - one called Dogs Bay I think with white sand and crystal clear waters. I felt so good afterwards it left me wondering if it was simply a good day or, was there something special about the place! So I'm due a return to test the theory. Sting used to have a house there.

I'd also like to spend more time in Donegal where my family are from and drive the coastline.
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 08:57 - Aug 18 with 2688 viewsTripper

If travelling this time next year the Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann takes place in Ennis for the first time in years. Even if you are not a big fan of traditional Irish music it's quite a spectacle that brings in some real characters and very talented musicians to the town.
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 13:27 - Aug 18 with 2636 viewsMonahoop

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 07:27 - Aug 18 by parker64

If you have the weather it's fantastic. If you don't it can be quite depressing in a breathtaking sort of way. The gloom can be fascinating. Take an umbrella.

It rains a lot in Ireland. But they say you never get wet in it. Well I've stood outside in it many a time to put that theory to the test and got drenched each time!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 14:08 - Aug 18 with 2602 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 13:27 - Aug 18 by Monahoop

It rains a lot in Ireland. But they say you never get wet in it. Well I've stood outside in it many a time to put that theory to the test and got drenched each time!

*Dry*, Monahoop. You never get *dry*.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 16:10 - Aug 18 with 2557 viewsNoelmc

I know I'm biased as my parents came from there but South West Donegal, particularly around the Cliffs of Slieve League, is my favourite spot in Ireland

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 16:11 - Aug 18 with 2551 viewsTacticalR

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 14:08 - Aug 18 by BrianMcCarthy

*Dry*, Monahoop. You never get *dry*.

I knew it had to be one or the other.

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 16:25 - Aug 18 with 2535 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 16:10 - Aug 18 by Noelmc

I know I'm biased as my parents came from there but South West Donegal, particularly around the Cliffs of Slieve League, is my favourite spot in Ireland

Damn nice

This is Glenbeg Lake, Ardgroom, Beara, West Cork.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153814691470967&set=a.10151133073170967

[Post edited 18 Aug 2015 16:30]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 16:26 - Aug 18 with 2528 viewsPhildo

This is what you will be hoping for:

http://craic-it.com/watch-beautiful-time-lapse-sunrise-ireland/
Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 23:18 - Aug 18 with 2454 viewsPommyhoop

Our local beach in Glencolumbkille, Co. Donegal in the colder months.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 10:41 - Aug 19 with 2401 viewsA40Bosh

Non QPR Visiting Western Ireland on 23:18 - Aug 18 by Pommyhoop

Our local beach in Glencolumbkille, Co. Donegal in the colder months.

hmmm

I can smell the smoke from the peat fire already!!!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024