Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games 14:13 - Dec 10 with 9180 viewsNDGN82

We have been in need of signing a proper striker/goalscorer since Scott Hogan's departure in July 2014. Why does KH refuse to sign one?! Yes Matty Done worked but by chance

We are financially better off than we have been for a number of years - receiving over £300k in relation to Craig Dawson in July of this year, being one of the latest windfalls. What KH fails to realise is that if you don't put the ball in the net, you don't win games, people don't enjoy going to games and as a result the crowds dwindle - this costs the club money! Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate! Spend £100k-£150k on a young forward who can't quite get in at a Championship club, pay them a couple of grand a week if needs be. The extra excitement/buzz around the place when he scores a few goals will increase the revenue brought into the club, then knowing us, we'd be able to sell him 12 months down the line for at least double what we've paid. Nothing lost, everything gained!!

It becomes very frustrating when KH refuses to sign anyone on loan (barring the keeper) and then when he does he signs yet another attacking midfielder in o'sullivan! What's the point of having 11 attacking midfielders (including strikers coverted to attacking midfielders - i.e. Joe Bunney) at the club but no one to stick the ball in the onion bag?!

Calvin Andrew to be fair has done all that is being asked of him on the pitch - he's holding the ball up, he's winning the headers but there is no-one playing off him for the majority of the game. If big Calvin is to continue up front he separately needs someone (a pocher of the Alfie nature) alongside him.

Even if KH is desparate NOT to sign a striker, what's wrong with sticking Bell, or the big French lad on for 20 minutes to give them a chance. We're not scoring anyhow so what would be lost?! The fact he may not like how they train or that they are not as fit as Matty Done (who is a freak of nature running around at 100mph for 90 mins) - who cares! We could have a gem on our hands that is shit in training but puts the ball in the net everytime he gets on the pitch - yet we're missing out on seeing that kind of talent through sheer stubbornness by the looks of things.

Just feel like i'm throwing my £20+ down the grid everytime I go to a game. Would be nice to get that buzz that we all had when we signed Paul Connor back in the day, and who knows we might end up with a play off push (more money) or at least keep us out of a relegation scrap which could yet happen!

Rant over!
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:27 - Dec 10 with 5527 viewsaleanddale

In context we are mid table in a second season in league 1.

League 1 is probably at least one division above our natural level. ( history proves that).

Try and enjoy the battle and footy over 90 mins.

I agree partially with some of your post though.....

Did we really get another £300k for Craig Dawson just this summer gone?? Wow!! If true.
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:28 - Dec 10 with 5517 viewsflyerdale

Totally agree with everything you say. Plan A isn't working to a degree and with an immediate departure in January we need to bolster the club with some much needed talent. The brand of football we are witnessing at the moment is one step down from barrowball and needs a rebrand.
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:29 - Dec 10 with 5514 viewsinthenet

Echo every word great post ............ We need to strengthen up top .

Rastrickblue

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:37 - Dec 10 with 5480 viewsPDIDDY

I thought you lot said Henderson was the main man when he extended? Btw craig Dawson was offered £27 k per week , 5 yr deal by WBA. Not sure if he's singing it though

Gissa job

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:42 - Dec 10 with 5462 viewsNDGN82

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:27 - Dec 10 by aleanddale

In context we are mid table in a second season in league 1.

League 1 is probably at least one division above our natural level. ( history proves that).

Try and enjoy the battle and footy over 90 mins.

I agree partially with some of your post though.....

Did we really get another £300k for Craig Dawson just this summer gone?? Wow!! If true.

History is there to be re-written. Why not aim for the stars (1st spot) and land on the moon (10th spot) maybe!!

Look at Burton Albion! Even their attendances are as bad as ours - last two home games they've had attendances of around 2,800 but they're top. Not sure what they're spending on wages mind but I don't think they've spent much on players. We can push on a little I think without breaking the bank

Yes - £308k. Not sure whether it's based on him making a certain amount of appearances or maybe something to do with them (West Brom) staying up!
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:46 - Dec 10 with 5453 viewsflyerdale

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:42 - Dec 10 by NDGN82

History is there to be re-written. Why not aim for the stars (1st spot) and land on the moon (10th spot) maybe!!

Look at Burton Albion! Even their attendances are as bad as ours - last two home games they've had attendances of around 2,800 but they're top. Not sure what they're spending on wages mind but I don't think they've spent much on players. We can push on a little I think without breaking the bank

Yes - £308k. Not sure whether it's based on him making a certain amount of appearances or maybe something to do with them (West Brom) staying up!

More than likely be an appearances fee attached to the original deal
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:47 - Dec 10 with 5450 viewsNDGN82

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:37 - Dec 10 by PDIDDY

I thought you lot said Henderson was the main man when he extended? Btw craig Dawson was offered £27 k per week , 5 yr deal by WBA. Not sure if he's singing it though

Henderson is class but he's an attacking midfielder. Terrific effort to get 20 goals last season but can't see that being anything other than a one off.

We'll have Dawson back then if he doesn't sign!!!
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:49 - Dec 10 with 5435 viewsflyerdale

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:47 - Dec 10 by NDGN82

Henderson is class but he's an attacking midfielder. Terrific effort to get 20 goals last season but can't see that being anything other than a one off.

We'll have Dawson back then if he doesn't sign!!!

27k a week blimey good on him he deserves it
Login to get fewer ads

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:02 - Dec 10 with 5393 viewsChaffRAFC

Agreed with the OP. Been saying it for ages.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:10 - Dec 10 with 5360 viewswimborne_dale

Strange, because in his first spell as Dale Boss, Keith Hill used to have an array of loan players and at the time it worked.
E.g. Chris O'Grady.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:12 - Dec 10 with 5351 viewsBigDaveMyCock

With regards to the OP, why is Calvin excluded from goal scoring responsibilities?
I'm sorry but by suggesting that he is doing all that is expected of him you're relieving him of a massive responsibility, that is, to score his share goals. Why do people think that is acceptable ffs. Why does he get away with it?

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games (n/t) on 15:17 - Dec 10 with 5330 viewshowy10

[Post edited 10 Dec 2015 15:21]
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:21 - Dec 10 with 5319 viewsNDGN82

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:12 - Dec 10 by BigDaveMyCock

With regards to the OP, why is Calvin excluded from goal scoring responsibilities?
I'm sorry but by suggesting that he is doing all that is expected of him you're relieving him of a massive responsibility, that is, to score his share goals. Why do people think that is acceptable ffs. Why does he get away with it?

He's certainly not excluded from goalscoring responsibilities but realistically he's never going to score a hat full of goals and KH knows this, in which case, if we're going to play him then we need to play someone with him! It's very rare you get a target man that can score goals aswell as win in the air and hold the ball up. Grant Holt is a bit of an exception to the rule and that's why he's played at a higher lever for the last 10 years.

Give me another Grant Holt any day (or even the real Grant Holt back on loan - he doesn't seem to be getting 5 mins from the bench on loan at Wolves)!!
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:28 - Dec 10 with 5294 viewsShun

Thumbs'd you down by mistake.
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:49 - Dec 10 with 5251 viewssandylaner1

l e w i s a l e s s a n d r a
[Post edited 10 Dec 2015 15:49]
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:49 - Dec 10 with 5248 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:21 - Dec 10 by NDGN82

He's certainly not excluded from goalscoring responsibilities but realistically he's never going to score a hat full of goals and KH knows this, in which case, if we're going to play him then we need to play someone with him! It's very rare you get a target man that can score goals aswell as win in the air and hold the ball up. Grant Holt is a bit of an exception to the rule and that's why he's played at a higher lever for the last 10 years.

Give me another Grant Holt any day (or even the real Grant Holt back on loan - he doesn't seem to be getting 5 mins from the bench on loan at Wolves)!!

So why does his partner need replacing with a new striker and not him? The solution is not to get him a more appropriate partner the solution is to either get him to share some of the goal burden or replace him. He is very much part of the problem I'm afraid.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:01 - Dec 10 with 5211 viewsPDIDDY

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:28 - Dec 10 by Shun

Thumbs'd you down by mistake.

Revenge

Gissa job

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:06 - Dec 10 with 5208 viewsisitme

I think everyone would agree that we need a 'proper striker'. The problem is, so does pretty much most other clubs up and down the country. Proper strikers do not come cheap and would like to be paid accordingly.

Spending money on a player does not guarantee that they would be successful. After all Coleman made Donnelly his marquee signing and paid a fee for him.

So, although I agree with the sentiment, finding a proper striker is a hard thing to do for clubs like Rochdale.

With a number of players out of contract in the summer I suspect there will be a good few comings and goings.

The French lad looked shocking in the 20 minutes he played in the JPT. Not sure we will see much of him again.
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:06 - Dec 10 with 5207 viewsNDGN82

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 15:49 - Dec 10 by BigDaveMyCock

So why does his partner need replacing with a new striker and not him? The solution is not to get him a more appropriate partner the solution is to either get him to share some of the goal burden or replace him. He is very much part of the problem I'm afraid.

He needs one or the other - ie. a strike partner or dropping (agreed). Clive Platt was never a goalscorer but always had someone up alongside him that was.

I'm not saying Calvin should start at all (I personally don't think he should) but I think he's done the best he can given the service he's had (ie. long balls from all angles). It's not his fault he's on the pitch at the end of the day - that comes down to KH who does make some strange decisions to say the least!

All i'm saying is give someone else a go (Alessandra, Bell, a new signing in Jan) or play someone with him if he has (from KH's point of view) to play!

Until we sign an out and out forward, i'd be tempted to give McDermott or Mendez-Laing a go right up top. Again they can't run around for 90 minutes like Matty Done but KH has got to lower his expectations on that front because there's not many who can! Think either of those two would cause centre halves some big problems with their pace
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:12 - Dec 10 with 5191 viewsNDGN82

Does anybody know anything about this lad at Macc - Krystian Dennis? I know he's on loan from Stockport and is top scorer in the conference - surely worth a punt and wouldn't cost the earth?
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:13 - Dec 10 with 5186 viewsdingdangblue

Yeah he's scored in our last 2 league wins, won 2 of last 3 games.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:22 - Dec 10 with 5144 viewsaleanddale

He is the main man Colin Bell would walk into your starting X1.

He is not a 9 though he is most effective coming in from the left hand side.

False 9 do they call it now... load of bollox give me a Grant Holt type any day of the week.
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:27 - Dec 10 with 5125 viewsaleanddale

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 14:42 - Dec 10 by NDGN82

i was just managing your expectation NDGN82
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:30 - Dec 10 with 5117 viewsMancDale

Not sure throwing money at a striker would be much use while we struggle so much to creativity. It's not like we're having loads of chances every game that just need a decent forward to convert. It's hard to see why when we've got a squad full of wingers and attacking midfielders but even mediocre sides seem to find it so easy to completely stifle us. Bury, Bradford, Oldham, Chesterfield etc all poor sides that we've created pretty much nothing against. Any of the quality forwards we've had in recent years ears would struggle to score for us at the moment.
Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:51 - Dec 10 with 5056 viewsNDGN82

Striker needed! No goals in 7 of last 12 games on 16:30 - Dec 10 by MancDale

Not sure throwing money at a striker would be much use while we struggle so much to creativity. It's not like we're having loads of chances every game that just need a decent forward to convert. It's hard to see why when we've got a squad full of wingers and attacking midfielders but even mediocre sides seem to find it so easy to completely stifle us. Bury, Bradford, Oldham, Chesterfield etc all poor sides that we've created pretty much nothing against. Any of the quality forwards we've had in recent years ears would struggle to score for us at the moment.

Agree to a certain extent but we did have a shed load of chances first half against Bury but nobody to convert them!

Other games we have been very limited in terms of chances but short of re-jigging the formation (which Keith Hill won't do) then I can only see it remaining that way. In which case we a forward that can create their own chances - someone like that though would probably be out of our price range or already playing at a higher level though yes.

Let's go back to 4-4-2 and enjoy some balls into the box for two forwards to get on the end of! Yes we might concede more but we might score more than none!

I think KH is worried we'll get overrun in midfield playing 4-4-2 but when we played that way first time around (in league 2), both wingers worked there socks off to double up and help out the fullbacks and get forward aswell. Joe Thompson on one side and Will Buckley on the other - granted Thompson didn't excite us going forward as much as we'd have liked but he wasn't half effective at defending from the front (or wing as it was). Play Hendo as one of the front 2, doing the Dagnall bit of chasing down from the front, with someone half decent alongside him, whoever that might be
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024