Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sandfields Pubs 20:44 - Jan 5 with 13883 viewsbonymine

Bored as f*ck here tonight so let's start a thread on the good old Sandfields pubs and a story attached to each of them and the Swans /The Vetch/Away fans etc.

Many have closed over the years but as a Sandfields boy myself I have some wonderful memories of these warm, welcoming ale houses (if you were a Swans fan anyway!) and the colourful characters who frequented them.

A Sunday lunchtime pub crawl through the Sandfields was always a pleasure to behold with my mates in the early 1980's ; cockles cheese pickles nuts & crisps on the bar to dip into 'on the house' ; very hygienic all this after peeing in the Gents after 10 pints too !!

God there must be loads of stories over the years, the pubs may have come and gone but the memories will last a lifetime.....

The Garibaldi - Joe Cleary/John the Bank (Everton fan too) / Philly James ....
Outside there for the Swans v Hull game in 2003 to stay in the League was the most tense atmosphere I've known around the Vetch.

The Clarence - one game v Stoke home me & my mate were late leaving before kick off when about 50 riot police turned up & surrounded the pub and didn't let us out ...bizarre !!

Always Remember watching the 1985 snooker World Final at the Gari Dennis Taylor beat Steve Davis in the early hours when a 'lock-in' with the curtains closed really meant something !!

STID

Together Stronger

💪💪💪

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Sandfields Pubs on 23:35 - Jan 5 with 8632 viewssmoulder

Loved them pubs in Sandfields....reminded me of Rock Ferry....remember me and a few of me family banging out some tunes on the Kareoke in The Cricketers if I remember rightly.
Sandfields Pubs on 09:41 - Jan 6 with 8538 viewswildswan

Some cracking memories / laughs I had back then with some great stories to be told .
Queens. Gari ,The Panty .
Best pre & after match laughs back then
seeing a football Tog come through the singleton pub window from outside apparently borrowed from the away teams coach while they had chips from macaries. We lost again.
Sandfields Pubs on 17:01 - Apr 29 with 8045 viewsbonymine

Sandfields Pubs on 09:41 - Jan 6 by wildswan

Some cracking memories / laughs I had back then with some great stories to be told .
seeing a football Tog come through the singleton pub window from outside apparently borrowed from the away teams coach while they had chips from macaries. We lost again.

I wish we were back at the Vetch right now ....more passion, more atmosphere more everything a match could ask for really .........those were the days ..

STID ....Together Stronger 💪💪💪

Sandfields Pubs on 18:00 - Apr 29 with 7970 viewsbonymine

Sandfields Pubs on 17:01 - Apr 29 by bonymine

I wish we were back at the Vetch right now ....more passion, more atmosphere more everything a match could ask for really .........those were the days ..

STID ....Together Stronger 💪💪💪

We’ve got the Harvester & F&B these days ......

How boring ...... 😂😂
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 20:43]

Sandfields Pubs on 19:58 - Apr 29 with 7845 viewsjacktar

You're obviously bored again boney.
I used to meet with a few mates in the Criterion (Eli Jenkins for those too young to remember) in Oxford Street on a Thursday night to watch Top of the Pops, at the time. Peter Davies ex-swans player ran the pub before he moved on to the Bay View as I recall.
We would then head off down Oxford Street having a pint in all the pubs down to the Brooklands before heading up to the Westbourne, the last of the pubs on the crawl.
That was followed by a taxi to the Top Rank (too pissed to walk there by then) usually followed by a curry in the Anglo Asian.

God I wish I had the energy to do that now!
These days a couple of hours in the Brunswick and I'm knackered.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Sandfields Pubs on 20:14 - Apr 29 with 7825 viewsbonymine

Sandfields Pubs on 19:58 - Apr 29 by jacktar

You're obviously bored again boney.
I used to meet with a few mates in the Criterion (Eli Jenkins for those too young to remember) in Oxford Street on a Thursday night to watch Top of the Pops, at the time. Peter Davies ex-swans player ran the pub before he moved on to the Bay View as I recall.
We would then head off down Oxford Street having a pint in all the pubs down to the Brooklands before heading up to the Westbourne, the last of the pubs on the crawl.
That was followed by a taxi to the Top Rank (too pissed to walk there by then) usually followed by a curry in the Anglo Asian.

God I wish I had the energy to do that now!
These days a couple of hours in the Brunswick and I'm knackered.

The ‘Anglo Alsation’ .....my word !!!!

Cheers for the reply remember all of those places mate great memories indeed 👍👍

Sandfields Pubs on 20:40 - Apr 29 with 7789 viewsTheResurrection

Seeing as the Vetch is smack bang in the middle of the Sandfields, the good ol' pubs surrounded it and you almost had a Home End and an Away End.

Naturally the good ol' Gari was HQ for a certain type of supporter and was the first pub to head to on match days, or better still the shady lane outside. The Queens, Singleton, Panty, Clarence were the pubs to visit if some harmless team were in town.

But for the tastier teams, you'd head for the away end pubs. The Glamorgan, Sea Beach, Bad, Robin Hood. Night games there in those dark streets saw it all.

Have a look at this site to see some from the near end very far distant past

https://ididitthisway.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/public-houses/

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Sandfields Pubs on 20:54 - Apr 29 with 7761 viewsjacktar

Sandfields Pubs on 20:40 - Apr 29 by TheResurrection

Seeing as the Vetch is smack bang in the middle of the Sandfields, the good ol' pubs surrounded it and you almost had a Home End and an Away End.

Naturally the good ol' Gari was HQ for a certain type of supporter and was the first pub to head to on match days, or better still the shady lane outside. The Queens, Singleton, Panty, Clarence were the pubs to visit if some harmless team were in town.

But for the tastier teams, you'd head for the away end pubs. The Glamorgan, Sea Beach, Bad, Robin Hood. Night games there in those dark streets saw it all.

The Panty was good, especially in latter days when Viv Morris (Spiv) ran the place.
His Sunday lunchtime quizzes were something to behold. A few beers and a load of laughs before heading home for Sunday dinner. Couldn't fault it.
RIP Spiv.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Login to get fewer ads

Sandfields Pubs on 21:12 - Apr 29 with 7723 viewsbonymine

Sandfields Pubs on 20:54 - Apr 29 by jacktar

The Panty was good, especially in latter days when Viv Morris (Spiv) ran the place.
His Sunday lunchtime quizzes were something to behold. A few beers and a load of laughs before heading home for Sunday dinner. Couldn't fault it.
RIP Spiv.

We had some great days with John the Bank & Sian at the Gari many happy days outside in the sunshine .....

Not the same anymore at the Liberty but that’s life I guess....

Sandfields Pubs on 21:39 - Apr 29 with 7672 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Sandfields Pubs on 20:14 - Apr 29 by bonymine

The ‘Anglo Alsation’ .....my word !!!!

Cheers for the reply remember all of those places mate great memories indeed 👍👍

Yeah. After a few pints it became difficult to say “Anglo Alsatian” so it became known as the Anglo Dog for ease of pronunciation.

Crazy times.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Sandfields Pubs on 21:48 - Apr 29 with 7663 viewsbonymine

Sandfields Pubs on 21:39 - Apr 29 by Joe_bradshaw

Yeah. After a few pints it became difficult to say “Anglo Alsatian” so it became known as the Anglo Dog for ease of pronunciation.

Crazy times.

Yes indeed 👍😂

Sandfields Pubs on 07:47 - Apr 30 with 7528 viewsSTID2017

Sandfields Pubs on 09:41 - Jan 6 by wildswan

McCaries Chips were horrible, Argyle Fish Bar was the best in the area then.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Sandfields Pubs on 07:49 - Apr 30 with 7523 viewsSTID2017

The Badminton late 70's / early 80's was also a home pub.
Quite a few of the more useful North Bank crowd used to rock up there

Sandfields Pubs on 09:09 - Apr 30 with 7478 viewsunion_jack

Sandfields Pubs on 07:47 - Apr 30 by STID2017

McCaries Chips were horrible, Argyle Fish Bar was the best in the area then.

I liked Macaris especially their rissoles. The Argyll however was and still is one of the best in town.

My parents used to own the shop where the Argyll is now back in the 50s. My mother used to make hot dogs and sell to people going to the Vetch on match days.

The Trafalgar was where I used to go in the 70s. Caught there for under age drinking when I was 15!! Also The Bay View. Great days.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Sandfields Pubs on 09:24 - Apr 30 with 7459 viewsTheResurrection

Sandfields Pubs on 07:49 - Apr 30 by STID2017

The Badminton late 70's / early 80's was also a home pub.
Quite a few of the more useful North Bank crowd used to rock up there

They were all home pubs. It's just "when" you'd visit the away end pubs

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Sandfields Pubs on 09:39 - Apr 30 with 7441 viewsWarwickHunt

Sandfields Pubs on 09:09 - Apr 30 by union_jack

I liked Macaris especially their rissoles. The Argyll however was and still is one of the best in town.

My parents used to own the shop where the Argyll is now back in the 50s. My mother used to make hot dogs and sell to people going to the Vetch on match days.

The Trafalgar was where I used to go in the 70s. Caught there for under age drinking when I was 15!! Also The Bay View. Great days.

I was brought up at the Vetch end of Fleet Street - are you talking about the faggôt and peas shop?

😂 just had to edit the f word - “unacceptable language” ...😂
Sandfields Pubs on 10:03 - Apr 30 with 7418 viewsWarwickHunt

Sandfields Pubs on 20:40 - Apr 29 by TheResurrection

Great link, mate - nearly brought a tear to my eye...

Fûck the Mumbles Mile - the Sandfields pub crawl was the bollox.

One Xmas morning about 30 years ago I went with the old man to the Robin Hood. One of the “ladies” serving behind the bar had a t-shirt plastered with the word ‘fûck’ and various usages thereof. Very festive.😂

My old man pointed to a fella sitting in the corner - ‘ That’s Pete the Pen - finest forger in Wales. He’s supposed to be still inside...

More characters and what my old man cheerfully referred to as “villains” than you could shake a stick at. Afternoon sessions in particular were like being in a real life episode of Minder.

I remember being in the Singleton when a bloke with a sawn-off came in looking for someone. I mean FFS - it wasn’t even the Gari...
[Post edited 30 Apr 2018 10:18]
Sandfields Pubs on 10:14 - Apr 30 with 7401 viewstheloneranger

Sandfields Pubs on 10:03 - Apr 30 by WarwickHunt

Great link, mate - nearly brought a tear to my eye...

Fûck the Mumbles Mile - the Sandfields pub crawl was the bollox.

One Xmas morning about 30 years ago I went with the old man to the Robin Hood. One of the “ladies” serving behind the bar had a t-shirt plastered with the word ‘fûck’ and various usages thereof. Very festive.😂

My old man pointed to a fella sitting in the corner - ‘ That’s Pete the Pen - finest forger in Wales. He’s supposed to be still inside...

More characters and what my old man cheerfully referred to as “villains” than you could shake a stick at. Afternoon sessions in particular were like being in a real life episode of Minder.

I remember being in the Singleton when a bloke with a sawn-off came in looking for someone. I mean FFS - it wasn’t even the Gari...
[Post edited 30 Apr 2018 10:18]

Many years ago I was invited to a " Going away party" for Peter in the Mountain Dew.

All the villains were in the back room, and I asked Peter, "When are you going away Peter" ??

He replied, "Sometime this week"

I then stupidly asked, "Going anywhere nice Pete" ??

He just laughed and said, "Jail" !!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Sandfields Pubs on 10:33 - Apr 30 with 7382 viewsunion_jack

Sandfields Pubs on 09:39 - Apr 30 by WarwickHunt

I was brought up at the Vetch end of Fleet Street - are you talking about the faggôt and peas shop?

😂 just had to edit the f word - “unacceptable language” ...😂

It was the general stores where the Argyll Fish Bar is today. This was late 50s mind you, just before my time.

Grandparents lived in Richardson Street and the other in William Street (now demolished).

How different it is today.

Sandfields Pubs on 10:45 - Apr 30 with 7372 viewsWarwickHunt

Sandfields Pubs on 10:33 - Apr 30 by union_jack

It was the general stores where the Argyll Fish Bar is today. This was late 50s mind you, just before my time.

Grandparents lived in Richardson Street and the other in William Street (now demolished).

How different it is today.

It would have been opposite you then - my mistake...
Sandfields Pubs on 11:05 - Apr 30 with 7360 viewsunion_jack

Sandfields Pubs on 10:45 - Apr 30 by WarwickHunt

It would have been opposite you then - my mistake...

I'll ask my mother, she'll remember.

Sandfields Pubs on 23:38 - May 2 with 7161 viewsbonymine

Sandfields Pubs on 09:24 - Apr 30 by TheResurrection

Chrissy you should know by now that if you’re not a Sandfields lad born and bred like myself then you are not welcome here .... a bit like Jenkins kicking you out then calling you back in as you may have better info ....😂😂

Sandfields Pubs on 08:59 - May 3 with 7069 viewsSTID2017

Sandfields Pubs on 09:24 - Apr 30 by TheResurrection

??????

Sandfields Pubs on 18:42 - May 3 with 6955 viewsNogginthenog

Wyndham was another great haunt packed to the gunwhales, known as the shobox.
Sandfields Pubs on 18:43 - May 3 with 6954 viewsFieryJack

The Badminton was a bit of a ruffians pub, small and mean. Can remember reading about some Millwall fans who were drinking there after a midweek night game when a couple of Swans fans came in. I think they were given short shrift by the Londoners.

Watched both of Colin Jones's world title fights (live from the States) in there.

Went in the Glamorgan before that FA cup replay in the 90s against West Ham. It was their designated pub, and they'd drunk the place dry of bitter, and I had to settle for an effin lager!

Have to say that the Hammers mob in there were the meanest, ugliest, thug-iest looking bunch of blokes I've ever come across.

Another time I was in there before a game against Rushden & Diamonds. The fans they had in there were few and were harmless looking, middle-aged blokes and their families. Can remember being embarrassed and pee'd off with half a dozen Swans thugs who came in and threatened to batter them when they came out - and then hung around outside making threatening gestures through the window. Utter planks.

Didn't the windows of the Bond Street club get put through before a game against Man U in the Div 1 days? Or was it some pub I can't remember the name of?

Great area for a pub crawl on a saturday night.

Sadly all gone now.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024