Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Still no Jeff...? 21:02 - Jan 24 with 5711 viewsmidswan

not many minutes these days, seems Barrow is preferred as fresh legs when needed.
Still no Jeff...? on 14:17 - Jan 25 with 1104 viewsA_Fans_Dad

All this negativity about the player that scored a brilliant goal against Oxford, which proves he can do more than just run fast.
I am not sure what his training and instructions have been in the past but I get the distinct impression that he has gone backwards under our fabulous training/coaching trio just departed.
Still no Jeff...? on 14:20 - Jan 25 with 1090 viewsClinton

Still no Jeff...? on 13:28 - Jan 25 by NeiltheTaylor

Montero obviously is still a raw talent. I think he has been badly coached thus far with us and not developed as he might. Hopefully he is being worked on/with me and will become a better player as there is a brilliant player in there.

Clubs like us have to back our ability to improve a player rather than look to buy in the finished article all the time
[Post edited 25 Jan 2016 13:30]

I'd love to see Montero varying his game. Sometimes coming in off the wing and playing off the striker, with his pace he'd surely get goals. Love to see Gylfi playing balls inside the fullback for Jeff to run onto and for Jeff to run at the goal rather than the corner flag.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Still no Jeff...? on 14:21 - Jan 25 with 1087 viewsjasper_T

Well if he can score against fcking Oxford he should be starting every week!!!
Still no Jeff...? on 14:43 - Jan 25 with 1052 viewsjackrabbit

Still no Jeff...? on 14:20 - Jan 25 by Clinton

I'd love to see Montero varying his game. Sometimes coming in off the wing and playing off the striker, with his pace he'd surely get goals. Love to see Gylfi playing balls inside the fullback for Jeff to run onto and for Jeff to run at the goal rather than the corner flag.

Totally agree with all that. Montero seems to have only one way of playing. He stands still on the touchline until he receives the ball. Then he starts moving and attempts to take on his defender by knocking the ball past him and then accelerating past the defender. If he's successful he clips over a delicious cross for the likes of Ayew or Gomis to jump and head. That's when it goes to plan. He burned the Arsenal fullback and also Ivanovic of Chelsea and drew rave reviews. He's not been able to repeat that level of performance since. He tries his move and it peters out or he leaves the ball behind. He's easy to neutralise by double-teaming.

But surely he could be coached to be more effective? One obvious improvement would be not to always stand still but to take a pass on the run as he did against Oxford. As you mention he should be anticipating a ball slid thru inside the fullback to run onto. He also needs to identify Taylor's runs and help him by running off him, not hinder him by getting in the way. Use the space g'boy!

Hugely talented but hugely frustrating.
Still no Jeff...? on 14:49 - Jan 25 with 1041 viewsjack247

Still no Jeff...? on 14:17 - Jan 25 by A_Fans_Dad

All this negativity about the player that scored a brilliant goal against Oxford, which proves he can do more than just run fast.
I am not sure what his training and instructions have been in the past but I get the distinct impression that he has gone backwards under our fabulous training/coaching trio just departed.

He doesn't have the football intelligence/awareness to play triangle style football. That may or may not be something that can be coached into him.

I don't think he had necessarily gone backwards here, we are just transitioning from a style that plays to his strengths to one that doesn't. He has a fairly simple but very effective style, he basically receives the ball to feet and runs at his fullback. Triangles are much more intricate and require him to make the right off the ball runs and know where his team mates/opponents are/are going so he can pick the right pass.

At the moment is still say he is a great outlet and was surprised neither him nor Barrow came on yesterday. Who am I to question after a result like that though?
Still no Jeff...? on 15:23 - Jan 25 with 1016 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Still no Jeff...? on 14:21 - Jan 25 by jasper_T

Well if he can score against fcking Oxford he should be starting every week!!!

If that is supposed to be sarcasm it shows that you missed the point completely, it wasn't the goal, it was the manner of scoring it.
A great tie up the Tabanou, good pass to Emnes, good receipt of the ball back after the run and a fabulous backheel in to the net.
That is a bit more than just standing on the byline and trying to run past defenders.
It shows what he is capable of, he scored 9 from 57 appearances for
Atl. Morelia before coming here and 11 from 41 for Villarreal between 2009 & 2011, 22 from 42 for Independiente Valle before that.
He has also scored 10 from 53 for Ecuador.
So perhaps we have not been making the most of his abilities.
Still no Jeff...? on 15:37 - Jan 25 with 1001 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Jeff's feet aren't good enough to dribble past a couple of players using close control. Therefore if you put a player five yards behind the full back he has no answer because pushing it past the full back and beating him in a foot race isn't possible.

He loves to come deep to receive the ball so that he has plenty of space to work with but when the opposition fill that space with another player he struggles. Having said that he should be ideal when we're defending a lead like yesterday and the opposition have no option but to commit players forward. When Cork broke forward near the end and eventually ran out of steam when he got into their half I was thinking it should have been Jeff.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Still no Jeff...? on 15:44 - Jan 25 with 992 viewsjasper_T

Still no Jeff...? on 15:23 - Jan 25 by A_Fans_Dad

If that is supposed to be sarcasm it shows that you missed the point completely, it wasn't the goal, it was the manner of scoring it.
A great tie up the Tabanou, good pass to Emnes, good receipt of the ball back after the run and a fabulous backheel in to the net.
That is a bit more than just standing on the byline and trying to run past defenders.
It shows what he is capable of, he scored 9 from 57 appearances for
Atl. Morelia before coming here and 11 from 41 for Villarreal between 2009 & 2011, 22 from 42 for Independiente Valle before that.
He has also scored 10 from 53 for Ecuador.
So perhaps we have not been making the most of his abilities.

10 of those Villarreal goals were scored for Villarreal's B team. And Mexico's league is awful.
Login to get fewer ads

Still no Jeff...? on 15:55 - Jan 25 with 968 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Still no Jeff...? on 15:44 - Jan 25 by jasper_T

10 of those Villarreal goals were scored for Villarreal's B team. And Mexico's league is awful.

So you did miss the point then!
Still no Jeff...? on 17:32 - Jan 25 with 924 viewsmidswan

So all in all, pretty much what was said when he arrived and almost exactly as it has panned out in that he can be unplayable on his day or unable to play full stop.Was obviously the reason we could sign him and why hes not at a (percieved ) bigger club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024