Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Future Cup Changes? 07:53 - Feb 16 with 3864 viewsPorlicks

"The abolition of weekend FA Cup games, replays and two-legged Capital One Cup semifinals are all being considered as part of joint plans by Premier League clubs and the Football Association, high-ranking sources have told ESPN FC.

The potential changes have been designed with the goal of improving the performance of both English teams in Europe and the England national team."

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-fa-cup/story/2808367/premier-league-clubs-and-fa

Don't think any Football League chairman would agree with much of it (big FA cup games mid-week, no replays...) , but it could be used by Premier League teams to demonstrate a need to completely break away from the Football League by the end of the decade.

Also not sure why I'm supposed to care that much about the performance of English teams in Europe and the England national team.

Edit - added link
[Post edited 16 Feb 2016 7:54]

Who are YOU with?

Future Cup Changes? on 08:18 - Feb 16 with 3832 viewsNigeriamark

Interesting last point. Given a choice of Rochdale scraping into the championship via the play offs, and England winning the world cup, I would put the Dale promotion first

Of course I would prefer both!
Future Cup Changes? on 08:38 - Feb 16 with 3794 viewsboromat

I don't think the FA Cup should be changed at all. The league cup could change for me, Premiership teams don't tend to take it too seriously anyway so why not make it a football league based cup take premiership teams out of it completely.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Future Cup Changes? on 10:12 - Feb 16 with 3691 viewswimborne_dale

Future Cup Changes? on 08:18 - Feb 16 by Nigeriamark

Interesting last point. Given a choice of Rochdale scraping into the championship via the play offs, and England winning the world cup, I would put the Dale promotion first

Of course I would prefer both!

This shows that there isn't so much national pride in football as in Rugby. It's hard to imagine there can be too many Rugby fans who wouldn't regard an England World Cup win as the pinnacle of their rugby dreams.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Future Cup Changes? on 10:21 - Feb 16 with 3678 viewsKenBoon

Scrapping FA Cup replays won't improve the National team. So many games don't seem to harm the Spanish, German, Belgian, etc players in our league. Maybe - just maybe - the problem lies in youth development. Don't be silly, of course it doesn't. The Academies at Chelsea, Liverpool Manc City, Manc United etc have been churning out high quality English players for decades. Chelsea's is the best. Over Fifteen years since they've produced a good English player? They may as well shut it down. Ditto the rest of them.
Future Cup Changes? on 10:42 - Feb 16 with 3630 viewslurker

"The potential changes have been designed with the goal of improving the performance of both English teams in Europe and the England national team"

This old chestnut again!

When are the powers that be in English football going to realise that this crap, along with the constantly touted idea of a winter break will do precisely naff all to improve the national game.

They need to invest some of the obscene amounts of money the Premier League receives into coaching and facilities that will produce the odd English version of Messi/Ronaldo/Pirlo.

If anyone has taken flights over Germany, Spain and Italy you only need to take a look out the window to see the abundance of quality facilities that can collect such rewards.
Look out of the window of a UK bound flight on approach and you see nothing but concrete, wasteland and bog.

Keep feeding everyone this crap though and we will continue to get sweet FA in international competition! No matter though as long as the £££ keep rolling in!
Future Cup Changes? on 23:43 - Feb 16 with 3435 viewsDiddyDave

Yes,Premier League skulduggery in this,you can smell it a mile away. They`re the ones who are systematically dissembling the FA Cup that we all used to love so much and this no replay idea is just the latest snip in death by a thousand cuts. I remember when they brought in the League Cup in 1960,nobody really wanted it,the First Division teams especially,and I think the only reason it`still going is because whoever wins it goes automatically into that second tier European Comp. No matter,like the stupid idea of letting reserve Premier teams into the lower divisions,the bread and butter clubs of the game should go and tell the powers that be to get stuffed. As one man said maybe this is one further step to the elite clubs pulling away to form their own competition,well bugger off then,the quicker the better.
Future Cup Changes? on 00:08 - Feb 17 with 3409 viewsmikehunt

My thought on replays is that if one team decides they do not want a replay then so be it. Otherwise have as many replays as it takes. Like the good old days.
Why should the likes of, say, Crystal Palace v Reading have to be decided on penalties after one game. They are not in Europe and, I imagine, would be more than happy to spin a few more bob out of a cup replay.
I tell you, I will stop watching if these tvvats mess with the game any further.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Future Cup Changes? on 12:07 - Feb 17 with 3300 viewsDomDale

The FA Cup and League Cup have remained largely unnchanged since launch. In fact the only changes I can think of would alleviate fixture congestion. These are removing more than 1 replay from the Fa cup - if 2 games are tied then ET and penalties are used to settle the fixture. And in the LC we no longer have replays at all.
What has been tinkered with and does cause fixture congestion is removing the knock out element of the european compeitions - previously reserved for the cream of the crop - the 1st div champions and domestic cup winners - and creating a mini league with 2 legged knock out stages for the also-rans in each national league.
In the Europa league there is an addtional knock out stage to that of the champs league. Your 8th place side which has qualified for Europea with a more heavy English baias in their squad is going to be exhausted if they try to win the EL. Some clubs are joining European competition as early as July FFS, look at City about 7/8 years ago.
I think the elite powers that be should look at the monster they have created rather than mess with our historic cups. Of course, this has NOTHING to do with our national interests or that of other international squads, but all to do with TV revenue so the bloated, dull, "champions" (plus 2nd, 3rd, 4th place & Europa League winner) league will take precedent.

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Login to get fewer ads

Future Cup Changes? on 22:22 - Feb 17 with 3179 viewszxcvbnm

It's all money, money, money with certain champions league clubs wanting guarentees that they'll always be in the champions league.

As for the FA cup, it's typical big clubs mentality, we're alright doesn't matter about the smaller club. I've been lucky enough to attend A couple of FA cup finals and a charity shield but my eyes have been opened to the difference between top division clubs and lower in the last few years. Lots of money in the game yet 90% seems to stay within the top division and did the rest.

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Future Cup Changes? on 22:25 - Feb 17 with 3173 viewsTVOS1907

Future Cup Changes? on 22:22 - Feb 17 by zxcvbnm

It's all money, money, money with certain champions league clubs wanting guarentees that they'll always be in the champions league.

As for the FA cup, it's typical big clubs mentality, we're alright doesn't matter about the smaller club. I've been lucky enough to attend A couple of FA cup finals and a charity shield but my eyes have been opened to the difference between top division clubs and lower in the last few years. Lots of money in the game yet 90% seems to stay within the top division and did the rest.

Who was playing in the FA Cup Finals and Charity Shield?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024