Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. 07:27 - Oct 5 with 5932 viewsTummer_from_Texas

But if he's a spectacular failure, I'm also not going to apologize on his behalf.

What is up with these factions? This club isn't big enough to have factions. Even if we ever get huge, I hope we can still remain "small" enough at heart to remember we are all still on the same side.

Most of the rest of you I know from this website were there for everything I missed. I wasnt there for the magical rise in the late 70's and early 80's that culminated in the promotion on the road (was it at Reading?) that must have been the moment of a lifetime for the really old Jacks.

I wasnt there for the first magical months of rarefied 1st Division air, or the cruel fall back to Earth that followed.

I wasnt there for the 20 years of Purgatory that followed that experience.

Or the crazy Petty year. Although, I think my girlfriend might have taken a
a leadership role in the North Bank Alliance had we been present, but you'll have to take my word on that.

Or the Hull game. I did drive over to site of the old Vetch before we left Swansea last December. I just stood there for awhile like I was in a trance, imagining the smell of stale beer and the noise. That same girlfriend thought I'd found some weed to smoke and took my car keys away. Then she remembered that she'd have to drive on the left side over here and she gave them back, lol!

And so on with all these experiences I missed, but sincerely appreciate.

I've made it a point to get to know a few who were there and have told some great tales, but most of you reading this only know me as an Internet "friend." Whether you want to accept that I can "understand" you or not, hopefully you accept that I empathise with how so many of you are feeling in these times. And it breaks my heart to read that real Jacks I admire and respect like Lisa say that this no longer feels like "their club."

But you have to realize one thing. People now and in the near future aren't becoming supporters because this club is a sexy, big PL name. They aren't becoming Swansea fans because of Champions League success, or a Chevrolet sponsorship and commercials, or the household names this club will never get, except when we accidentally stumble upon them.

I got into all this a couple years before JTAK, and I know that film is a source of ridicule among all you "insiders," but freaking get over it! Who cares if they really went to a freaking ATM, or if some of the characters interviewed were the most deserving ones? It is still a piece of art that you have to embrace.

The Alamo (1960) starring and directed by John Wayne is one of the most hilariously inaccurate films ever made, but San Antonians love it anyway. Because for all it's laughable faults, it represents our true spirit.

Actually that's a terrible example. That movie really SUCKED. The remake with Billy Bob Thornton is much better.

But getting back to my point...I and those who follow because we learn your story through JTAK, or because now Swansea will get exposure due to Americans owning/managing the club, aren't like your regular bandwagoners. We don't get into this club for the reasons people jump on board with the big clubs. We don't even love this club because of Siggy, or Bony, or Michu, or Leon, or Trundle, or James Thomas.

We love it because of YOU. That will always be your legacy. This club is yours, to us if not you. And we will never pretend we were actually there, suffering with you; but we still would like to appreciate everything you have made it represent.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 7:45]

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 10:32 - Oct 5 with 1504 viewsJango

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 08:23 - Oct 5 by monmouth

Oh and by the way, the yanks can't really lose with me. Fail and it's because they have acted in a way that was entirely predictable when they were recklessly sold the club by the bunch of c***s that called themselves fans.

Succeed and it's down to them taking a massive blind odds-against risk and lucking out, and nothing to do with any foresight or care of the sellouts.

Blind odds? Have you ever thought out of the 4 interviewed he was the stand out guy? Or that the guy they appointed as an advisor in Landon Donovan has given him an outstanding reference? He played for Leverkusen, Bayern Munich and Everton so he's not someone with no experience of European football. The fact Bradley is American is probably not the sole factor he's been given the job despite what most want to believe
if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 11:13 - Oct 5 with 1479 viewsmonmouth

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 10:32 - Oct 5 by Jango

Blind odds? Have you ever thought out of the 4 interviewed he was the stand out guy? Or that the guy they appointed as an advisor in Landon Donovan has given him an outstanding reference? He played for Leverkusen, Bayern Munich and Everton so he's not someone with no experience of European football. The fact Bradley is American is probably not the sole factor he's been given the job despite what most want to believe

You don't think it's a massive odds-against risk appointing the manager of Le Havre to the premier league? Rightio.

It's nothing to do with his nationality so don't try that old pony with me.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 11:25 - Oct 5 with 1462 viewsJoe_bradshaw

If Bob Bradley is a huge success we'll all gloat.

We'll all gloat at Cardiff and Sunderland and Hull and anyone who finishes below us or underachieves.

We're fickle football fans. We do stuff like that.

Even if he lasts ten years and takes us to places we didn't think we're possible we'll turn around when he leaves and claim we always knew he was shite.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:01 - Oct 5 with 1417 viewsItchySphincter

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 08:11 - Oct 5 by waynekerr55

This shows the current incumbents don't understand the concept of 'promotion' and 'relegation'.

We have a manager who's cut from the same archetypal cloth as Moyes and his ilk. We don't have the players capable of playing mutant percentage hoofball

Back to the OP, Tummer I had a spell in the US coaching football (soccer) and back then there were two things they were really into, mirroring the Brazilian sweeper system and fitness. Is this still the case?

I really hope Bradley doesn't bring that stupid running approach otherwise we'll have no players left as they'll pop their hamstrings and groins left, right and centre.

I think we need to strike a balance between your 'anti-run' stance and the players' 'refuse to run' position.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:05 - Oct 5 with 1407 viewsnierika

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 09:42 - Oct 5 by jack247

Mate, nobody will care. If he is successful we will be happy. A lot of us just don't think he will be.

If we had Chinese owners who appointed a Chinese coach who played boring football and had spent most of his career in minor leagues, it would be just the same on here

Did you ever consider that perhaps he hasnt managed a bigger club because others have written him off because of where he's from (as half this board seems to have done)?
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 13:06]
if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:05 - Oct 5 with 1406 viewswaynekerr55

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:01 - Oct 5 by ItchySphincter

I think we need to strike a balance between your 'anti-run' stance and the players' 'refuse to run' position.

Not necessarily me ol' china.

What I'd seen of him and the fact that my (limited) experience of coaching in the States is that they love a bit of running. We need to go back to being different, not trying to pragmatically play our way out of trouble using someone who shouts and acts like a drill sergeant.

(PS - football specific running is fine )

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:17 - Oct 5 with 1386 viewsjack247

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:05 - Oct 5 by nierika

Did you ever consider that perhaps he hasnt managed a bigger club because others have written him off because of where he's from (as half this board seems to have done)?

Not really, no.

Taking his nationality out of it, what do you think he has done to earn a crack at the premier league?

Our owners are the ones judging him on where he is from
if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:22 - Oct 5 with 1369 viewsReturn_of_the_Jack

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:17 - Oct 5 by jack247

Not really, no.

Taking his nationality out of it, what do you think he has done to earn a crack at the premier league?

When I walked past the training ground earlier I seen the youth running around the pitch chanting...

"I DONT KNOW WHAT I'VE BEEN TOLD
ESKIMO PU..."
Login to get fewer ads

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:34 - Oct 5 with 1337 viewssnork44

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:17 - Oct 5 by jack247

Not really, no.

Totally agree, but it has been done. I hope Bradley has the same effect that Rodgers had when he was appointed. As underwhelmed by his appointment, I much prefer Bradley to that weak excuse of human being that was the assistant manager at Manchester United!

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:35 - Oct 5 with 1335 viewsUxbridge

I've got no idea what Bob Bradley being a success or not has anything to do with fan attachment/alienation with the football club. One is a symptom of the other, at most.

Get over it? A piece of art? Pfft.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:37 - Oct 5 with 1326 viewsReturn_of_the_Jack

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:35 - Oct 5 by Uxbridge

I've got no idea what Bob Bradley being a success or not has anything to do with fan attachment/alienation with the football club. One is a symptom of the other, at most.

I nearly spat out my tea when I read that bit.
if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:41 - Oct 5 with 1318 viewsDafyddHuw

Good post Ux
if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:43 - Oct 5 with 1309 viewsjacabertawe

http://bet.unibet.co.uk/football/premier-league/why-bond-between-stands-and-swan

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:46 - Oct 5 with 1299 viewswaynekerr55

You're too rational for this site Uxy

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:46 - Oct 5 with 1299 viewsUxbridge

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:41 - Oct 5 by DafyddHuw

Good post Ux

Why thank you.

Anyway, I've got no real view on Bradley the manager. The comments on reverse snobbery are probably not without merit however his CV isn't exactly the sort of appointment that I would have got excited by ... a view pretty much backed up by my knowledgeable soccer loving work colleagues in the U.S.

My issues are entirely to do with the actions of the new owners in regards to their interaction with the Trust and the way Guidolin was treated, both when here and at the end.

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:48 - Oct 5 with 1078 viewsUxbridge

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:43 - Oct 5 by jacabertawe

http://bet.unibet.co.uk/football/premier-league/why-bond-between-stands-and-swan

Nutshell.

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:57 - Oct 5 with 1049 viewsMattG

If Bradley is a success, I will be delighted.
If he is a failure, I will be disappointed.

Neither outcome will change my view of the current shareholders, nor those that sold out to them.
if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:59 - Oct 5 with 1044 viewsReturn_of_the_Jack

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:57 - Oct 5 by MattG

If Bradley is a success, I will be delighted.
If he is a failure, I will be disappointed.

Neither outcome will change my view of the current shareholders, nor those that sold out to them.

Exactly, what I am worried about though is whether they will pull the plug on him if he is failing... or as he is "their" man - the first American to "coach" in the PL will pride come before a fall?
if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 14:01 - Oct 5 with 1044 viewslondonlisa2001

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 13:05 - Oct 5 by nierika

No one has written him off because he's American.

The issue is his lack of experience for the role not his nationality.

The only people that have judged him on his nationality are the owners, as they wouldn't have interviewed or even dreamed of interviewing someone with his background who wasn't American.

It's becoming a thing to claim the fan base are all just a bunch of xenophobic morons. Easy insult to throw I suppose. But not one that can be backed up with any evidence.
if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 14:07 - Oct 5 with 1032 viewslondonlisa2001

Exactly.

I don't feel it is less 'mine' because we of the league we are in, or the manager we have for that matter.

It is less mine because we are no longer a club that is intertwined with our community in the same way. That's not the fault of Bob Bradley, it's the fault of the owners. The 'old' owners, who have done what they said they would never do, and the 'new owners' who have made no effort to engage and seem to have done everything possible to ride roughshod over the Trust.
if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 14:29 - Oct 5 with 993 viewssnork44

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 14:01 - Oct 5 by londonlisa2001

No one has written him off because he's American.

The issue is his lack of experience for the role not his nationality.

The only people that have judged him on his nationality are the owners, as they wouldn't have interviewed or even dreamed of interviewing someone with his background who wasn't American.

It's becoming a thing to claim the fan base are all just a bunch of xenophobic morons. Easy insult to throw I suppose. But not one that can be backed up with any evidence.

Lisa as usual you have hit the nail firmly on its head. The fact is as I have said in other posts the new owners are corporate American businessmen with zero imagination, I have seen enough of these people over here to see exactly what they are like and to be quite honest you can't blame them for going for what they know best and are most comfortable with. The blame I am sorry to say ends up at Huw Jenkins door, he sold the club out and dabbled in the transfer dealings to the extent that it weakened the squad and for that all the vitriol should be directed at him.

Huw Jenkins was part of the group that saved our club and lead us to our success through the divisions, but that success has gone to his head and his inflated ego could be to the undoing of this club.

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 15:10 - Oct 5 with 950 viewsperchrockjack

It's actually 5 as the crow flies.

Winston biggest culprit.

I moved away 40 yrs ago

I don't have right to comment

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 15:39 - Oct 5 with 927 viewsBarrySwan

The original poster seems to totally miss the point.

Many of us object when people are appointed to jobs within the club just because they are local and old buddies rather than having demonstrated any particular aptitude for the job they are appointed to.

Take for instance Gary Monk although not local he had been at the club for many years and I personally was apprehensive about his appointment not because he might or might not have been the best thing since sliced bread but because there was an air of inevitability of him being appointed just because he had been here for years and was a favourite of the board rather than having demonstrated any ability as a manager.

Take Kristian O'Leary a local boy who ended up helping direct operations at first team level not
because he had demonstrated any ability at coaching or management ( in fact exactly the opposite
) but because he had been at the Swans for years it was obvious that he was not up to the job but he got the gig through contacts and his local tag.

Take Ryan Giggs a Welsh legend not wanted here by many including myself because he's never demonstrated a scrap of managerial ability.

So here we are with a bunch of Americans in charge of our club and surprise surprise within a couple of weeks we are landed with an American nonentity with no decent pedigree of managerial success becoming the first manager from the USA to manage in the premier.

It's clearly not because he's any good that he's appeared out of the blue but because he's an American nonentity as are the new owners following Dineen and Jenkins sell out.

Surely that must be fairly obvious .

Many of us don't want a Welsh nonentity any more than we want a American one.
if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 15:52 - Oct 5 with 913 viewsReturn_of_the_Jack

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 15:39 - Oct 5 by BarrySwan

Many of us object when people are appointed to jobs within the club just because they are local and old buddies rather than having demonstrated any particular aptitude for the job they are appointed to.

Take for instance Gary Monk although not local he had been at the club for many years and I personally was apprehensive about his appointment not because he might or might not have been the best thing since sliced bread but because there was an air of inevitability of him being appointed just because he had been here for years and was a favourite of the board rather than having demonstrated any ability as a manager.

Take Kristian O'Leary a local boy who ended up helping direct operations at first team level not
because he had demonstrated any ability at coaching or management ( in fact exactly the opposite
) but because he had been at the Swans for years it was obvious that he was not up to the job but he got the gig through contacts and his local tag.

Take Ryan Giggs a Welsh legend not wanted here by many including myself because he's never demonstrated a scrap of managerial ability.

So here we are with a bunch of Americans in charge of our club and surprise surprise within a couple of weeks we are landed with an American nonentity with no decent pedigree of managerial success becoming the first manager from the USA to manage in the premier.

It's clearly not because he's any good that he's appeared out of the blue but because he's an American nonentity as are the new owners following Dineen and Jenkins sell out.

Great post!

They "get us" though.

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 16:37 - Oct 5 with 875 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

if Bob Bradley is a huge success, I won't gloat. on 15:39 - Oct 5 by BarrySwan

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024