Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? 21:07 - Oct 5 with 6003 viewsswansvalleyjack

Judging by “social media”, it suggests that much of the Swansea fanbase is unhappy with the sacking of Guidolin.

But I don’t believe this is the case.

In summary, here’s my take (and of others I know):

1. When he arrived, his only task was to keep us up. And I amongst many was willing him to succeed. He did that in fairness — though it can be argued that Alan Curtis might well have done the same. Guidolin is often credited with the crucial Arsenal result —but Curt changed that game. Ditto Guidolin with the great West Ham result — but arguably they were on the beach that weekend & waiting primarily for the last Boleyn game v Man Utd.
2. Tbh, if Guidolin at the end of the season had been offered the Italy job, many would have been pleased to see him leave us. While he is undoubtedly a really nice guy, his tactics, communication and leadership were not really convincing. But as he was not offered the national job, then the Club had no option but to offer a new contract — we would rightly have been pilloried if we didn’t renew !
3. So...trying to look positive for the upcoming season, we hoped that Guidolin could refresh the squad (hopefully using his contacts), work with them pre-season and develop a way forward that wasn’t primarily defensive. And improve his English for better communication.
4. But the reality turned out to be different :
- The Club itself identified transfer targets …and worse, Guidolin seemed not to be bothered at all, nor in pursuing any contacts he surely would have had on the continent.
- From what we are hearing, pre-season (and the end of last season) found various difficulties between Guidolin and some players.
- Then the style of play in the new season hardly excited - despite Guidolin previously saying that he had loved watching the “Swansea way”; in fact some of the games were quite appalling, and also no-one seemed clear on what our tactics were.
- The communication had also not really improved . How frustrating to continually hear things like “ I am appy with squad, we play good game, we maybe deserve better, but this is football” etc etc. (I for one would have liked him to speak in depth in Italian with a top notch interpreter, so as to get a real insight to his thinking… but I don’t think this has ever happened). I suspect communication on the training ground was not good either.
5. Plus we had the Taylor and Ki issues, not saying this is all Guidloin’s fault, but clearly there were issues behind the scenes. No-one outside knows the details, but those within the Club would have known- and yet another factor in reaching the decision to let him go.
6. The support for Guidolin through “social media” also seems inextricably influenced by the vitriol towards the Club hierarchy over the takeover issues, and the (crap) Jenkins transfer window. The latter I agree with btw ! But Guidolin should have been stronger in that window !
7. So on balance, there was good reason to remove Guidolin. Pre the Bradley link, you could hear the discontent over Guidolin in the “bars and terraces”. Fans were definitely not happy and there was a real feeling of — relegation with this guy in charge. Despite player limitations, surely he could have got more out of them, plus better tactics/formations ?
8. And let’s not get too sentimental either …yes it was his birthday, but with an “x million” pay-off ! Once a manager has been appointed to a Premier League Club, it’s a win-win for them whatever happens.
So we are where we are. Not everyone is unhappy with Guidolin going & he’s got a nice pay-off. Not everyone is opposed to Bob Bradley. Hopefully it will be a good move (despite the obvious US marketing link). He seems like a breath of fresh air. We should give him full support from day one and — like Guidolin - judge him on results/performances. STID
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:46 - Oct 5 with 1534 viewsDarran

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:45 - Oct 5 by Private_Partz

I won't if you don't. ML and Jack Army are your favourite subjects. ;-)
As usual I am only replying. I never start the threads. Perhaps my last paragraph may allay your fears.

Nobody from the past is my favourite subject Partzy,nobody.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:01 - Oct 5 with 1511 viewsmajorraglan

N/A. on 21:34 - Oct 5 by Huw57

N/A.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 1:36]

I have the same feeling that they never felt comfortable with FG in charge.
It appears to me that FG has been treated shabbily, had it not been for FG doing his job and keeping the club up it's a distinct possibility the take over wouldn't have happened and the old board wouldn't have got their pay day!

For what it's worth I am not convinced about the point being made re language difficulties, he was happy enough to do press conferences in English with an interpreter to assist when required, look at Pocchetino, he had a translator when he was in Southampton and did pretty well! Ambrosetti was on Chelseas books for a while so must have had some English.

With regards to the signings or lack of in the transfer window, a lot of managers wouldn't criticise their employers as they could easily be looking at potential disciplinary issues and sanctions including dismissal. How many of our bosses would be happy if we went public with criticism of company activity.

Anyway despite what's happened and whether we like it or not, we have to move on. I am very surprised by the appointment of coach Bob, but let's hope he is a success and that we start to get the results we need to keep the Swans on the top table.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 23:09]
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:06 - Oct 5 with 1493 viewsPrivate_Partz

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:46 - Oct 5 by Darran

Go on...... If I reply to an ML thread you are in like a shot. I did not even mention ML and you were in this time ;-)
I emphasise reply. I used to get some stick for backing up LT10 after he left us. If someone raises a point dissing people I have some respect for then I will offer a response. The OP here has written a book on it! Completely pointless. Unless of course they are trying to get some justification for the current regime's actions......

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:10 - Oct 5 with 1471 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:28 - Oct 5 by Eilian

Bull shit!

The team lacked tempo and energy. They were clueless in attack. We were shit! No doubt about it!
We made Hull city look like footballing gods.
The team we were promoted with would beat his team easily. Go and watch some youTube videos of our first year in the prem.

And in the last 3 games for at least half of each the games we made Man C and Liverpool look pretty ordinary with their multi million pound squads.
So stop referring to Hull and start talking about where the team were going.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:20 - Oct 5 with 1445 viewsEilian

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:10 - Oct 5 by A_Fans_Dad

And in the last 3 games for at least half of each the games we made Man C and Liverpool look pretty ordinary with their multi million pound squads.
So stop referring to Hull and start talking about where the team were going.

o.k....... they weren't going anywhere with their 45 minuet super performances.

If there was any glimmering hope that we were moving forward then it wasn't at any sort of speed that was anywhere near adequate.

We had turned into a slow clumsy and heartless team. We can do much better!

Good riddance.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:24 - Oct 5 with 1439 viewsPrivate_Partz

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:46 - Oct 5 by Darran

Bitch! with your down arrow. Still it is almost a compliment as I don't get any normally. Not many 'ups' either though ;-)

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:24 - Oct 5 with 1437 viewsphact0rri

Wish people knew how to seperate paragraphs... think I'm going to need some glasses after that.

For me, I am unhappy he is gone, specifically because we are not dealing with many of the issues one had with Guidolin.

As I've said before if Bob plays his normal style were looking at boring defensive football with only trying for goal on the break.

I am trying my best to will myself into support. But I think Guidolin was doing fine and we were starting to see some strong performances and our lads were going after the goal posts. and I hope that Bob keeps them doing that.

Honestly i hope I'm wrong and Bob comes through with a different way of playing than I remember from his USMNT time. I will happily eat my words.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:35 - Oct 5 with 1415 viewsKrisP

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:22 - Oct 5 by jasper_T

He played the best football possible with the squad he was given.

I disagree. Look at the football from our first season if the Premier League and the squad was remarkably (depressingly?) similar.
Login to get fewer ads

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:39 - Oct 5 with 1411 viewsDarran

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:24 - Oct 5 by Private_Partz

Bitch! with your down arrow. Still it is almost a compliment as I don't get any normally. Not many 'ups' either though ;-)

Love you Dude.

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:41 - Oct 5 with 1408 viewsDarran

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:24 - Oct 5 by phact0rri

Wish people knew how to seperate paragraphs... think I'm going to need some glasses after that.

For me, I am unhappy he is gone, specifically because we are not dealing with many of the issues one had with Guidolin.

As I've said before if Bob plays his normal style were looking at boring defensive football with only trying for goal on the break.

I am trying my best to will myself into support. But I think Guidolin was doing fine and we were starting to see some strong performances and our lads were going after the goal posts. and I hope that Bob keeps them doing that.

Honestly i hope I'm wrong and Bob comes through with a different way of playing than I remember from his USMNT time. I will happily eat my words.

One win in quarter (Arsenal included) of a season isn't doing fine whoevers to blame for it.

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:45 - Oct 5 with 1390 viewslondonlisa2001

Bull shit!

The team lacked tempo and energy. They were clueless in attack. We were shit! No doubt about it!
The team we were promoted with would beat his team easily. Go and watch some youTube videos of our first year in the prem.

After the Hull game you identified gaps in the squad including a midfielder, a top notch centre half and a leader. We didn't buy any of them.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:48 - Oct 5 with 1380 viewslondonlisa2001

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:35 - Oct 5 by KrisP

I disagree. Look at the football from our first season if the Premier League and the squad was remarkably (depressingly?) similar.

The fact the key players are 5 years older hasn't had an impact on their performance then?
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:48 - Oct 5 with 1377 viewsEilian

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:45 - Oct 5 by londonlisa2001

After the Hull game you identified gaps in the squad including a midfielder, a top notch centre half and a leader. We didn't buy any of them.

and he said that he was appy.....

were you happy?
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:50 - Oct 5 with 1371 viewsEilian

Thanks for stalking me btw :)

Don't worry! I'm back in work tomorrow.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:54 - Oct 5 with 1357 viewslondonlisa2001

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:48 - Oct 5 by Eilian

and he said that he was appy.....

were you happy?

After the Hull game? No - fuming. I was even worse after Soton.

But the past three games (including the Man City cup game) have been such an improvement.

And I think pre season was a disaster.

But I believe Guidolin was trying to get the best out of a weak squad and was getting there.

And saying he was happy was just because he didn't want to upset the players we have. He was also very keen to say he wasn't the one responsible for buying players (which could be taken in a number of ways).

At the end of the day, he's gone. I wouldn't have made that decision, but so be it. The lack of class bothers me, as do comments saying stuff like good riddance - he doesn't deserve that as he seemed a gentleman. Few around these days.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:58 - Oct 5 with 1255 viewslondonlisa2001

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:50 - Oct 5 by Eilian

Thanks for stalking me btw :)

Don't worry! I'm back in work tomorrow.

I wasn't. I was looking for something else and happened to see it two minutes before I read this thread. Complete coincidence
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 00:01 - Oct 6 with 1252 viewsShonky

I feel relieved for him that he is out of this shytty situation. There doesnt seem to be room in football for folks like him any more.
Its a shyt business.

Its just a ride...

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 00:07 - Oct 6 with 1245 viewsEilian

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:54 - Oct 5 by londonlisa2001

After the Hull game? No - fuming. I was even worse after Soton.

But the past three games (including the Man City cup game) have been such an improvement.

And I think pre season was a disaster.

But I believe Guidolin was trying to get the best out of a weak squad and was getting there.

And saying he was happy was just because he didn't want to upset the players we have. He was also very keen to say he wasn't the one responsible for buying players (which could be taken in a number of ways).

At the end of the day, he's gone. I wouldn't have made that decision, but so be it. The lack of class bothers me, as do comments saying stuff like good riddance - he doesn't deserve that as he seemed a gentleman. Few around these days.

That's all pretty understandable.

I've got to say that it was all very frustrating however. He just really wasn't my cup of tea.

I'm being honest when I say that I'm glad he's gone. Doesn't mean that I agree with how it happened.
This club can do a lot better. We can box smarter.

I'm very much looking forward to improving under Bob. I'm confident he will bring energy, fight and tempo to our play. This is something that I have been complaining to anyone in earshot for months now.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 00:13 - Oct 6 with 1242 viewslondonlisa2001

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 00:07 - Oct 6 by Eilian

That's all pretty understandable.

I've got to say that it was all very frustrating however. He just really wasn't my cup of tea.

I'm being honest when I say that I'm glad he's gone. Doesn't mean that I agree with how it happened.
This club can do a lot better. We can box smarter.

I'm very much looking forward to improving under Bob. I'm confident he will bring energy, fight and tempo to our play. This is something that I have been complaining to anyone in earshot for months now.

Well as I said earlier, I have no gripe with Bradley and hope he does really well.

I'm not happy with the way it's been done, and I can't believe that he was the best candidate for the job, or even the best of the four we supposedly interviewed. But that's an issue with the club, not with him.

Lets hope that he is fantastic and it all turns out for the best.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 00:21 - Oct 6 with 1232 viewsjasper_T

Bull shit!

Guidolin's management doesn't get into the top 5 reasons for this.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 01:01 - Oct 6 with 1207 viewsRuDeMan1970

In answer to the OP's question...no, not at all unhappy Guidolin's gone. But "good riddance"?...a bit harsh that! I respected him as a person as he appeared to be a true gent, particularly when all of the stories about his possible replacement were doing the rounds whilst he was still our manager. But as for him as our manager...thank you, goodbye and good luck.

..."who will guard the guards..?"

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 01:10 - Oct 6 with 1188 viewsLohengrin

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:19 - Oct 5 by WarwickHunt

Brevity is the soul of wit.

The Bard is always good to pull out of the hat for these occasions.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 07:25 - Oct 6 with 1112 viewsPrivate_Partz

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:39 - Oct 5 by Darran

Love you Dude.

Glad to hear it . :-)

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 07:27 - Oct 6 with 1109 viewsPrivate_Partz

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:41 - Oct 5 by Darran

One win in quarter (Arsenal included) of a season isn't doing fine whoevers to blame for it.

Indeed but it wasn't Frankie and it wasn't a quarter.

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 07:31 - Oct 6 with 1106 viewsScotia

Gutted Guido was ever appointed but he was treated appallingly.
I've got huge concerns about the future but for now I'm behind Bob.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024