Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? 21:07 - Oct 5 with 6367 viewsswansvalleyjack

Judging by “social media”, it suggests that much of the Swansea fanbase is unhappy with the sacking of Guidolin.

But I don’t believe this is the case.

In summary, here’s my take (and of others I know):

1. When he arrived, his only task was to keep us up. And I amongst many was willing him to succeed. He did that in fairness — though it can be argued that Alan Curtis might well have done the same. Guidolin is often credited with the crucial Arsenal result —but Curt changed that game. Ditto Guidolin with the great West Ham result — but arguably they were on the beach that weekend & waiting primarily for the last Boleyn game v Man Utd.
2. Tbh, if Guidolin at the end of the season had been offered the Italy job, many would have been pleased to see him leave us. While he is undoubtedly a really nice guy, his tactics, communication and leadership were not really convincing. But as he was not offered the national job, then the Club had no option but to offer a new contract — we would rightly have been pilloried if we didn’t renew !
3. So...trying to look positive for the upcoming season, we hoped that Guidolin could refresh the squad (hopefully using his contacts), work with them pre-season and develop a way forward that wasn’t primarily defensive. And improve his English for better communication.
4. But the reality turned out to be different :
- The Club itself identified transfer targets …and worse, Guidolin seemed not to be bothered at all, nor in pursuing any contacts he surely would have had on the continent.
- From what we are hearing, pre-season (and the end of last season) found various difficulties between Guidolin and some players.
- Then the style of play in the new season hardly excited - despite Guidolin previously saying that he had loved watching the “Swansea way”; in fact some of the games were quite appalling, and also no-one seemed clear on what our tactics were.
- The communication had also not really improved . How frustrating to continually hear things like “ I am appy with squad, we play good game, we maybe deserve better, but this is football” etc etc. (I for one would have liked him to speak in depth in Italian with a top notch interpreter, so as to get a real insight to his thinking… but I don’t think this has ever happened). I suspect communication on the training ground was not good either.
5. Plus we had the Taylor and Ki issues, not saying this is all Guidloin’s fault, but clearly there were issues behind the scenes. No-one outside knows the details, but those within the Club would have known- and yet another factor in reaching the decision to let him go.
6. The support for Guidolin through “social media” also seems inextricably influenced by the vitriol towards the Club hierarchy over the takeover issues, and the (crap) Jenkins transfer window. The latter I agree with btw ! But Guidolin should have been stronger in that window !
7. So on balance, there was good reason to remove Guidolin. Pre the Bradley link, you could hear the discontent over Guidolin in the “bars and terraces”. Fans were definitely not happy and there was a real feeling of — relegation with this guy in charge. Despite player limitations, surely he could have got more out of them, plus better tactics/formations ?
8. And let’s not get too sentimental either …yes it was his birthday, but with an “x million” pay-off ! Once a manager has been appointed to a Premier League Club, it’s a win-win for them whatever happens.
So we are where we are. Not everyone is unhappy with Guidolin going & he’s got a nice pay-off. Not everyone is opposed to Bob Bradley. Hopefully it will be a good move (despite the obvious US marketing link). He seems like a breath of fresh air. We should give him full support from day one and — like Guidolin - judge him on results/performances. STID
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 07:41 - Oct 6 with 1130 viewsPrivate_Partz

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 23:54 - Oct 5 by londonlisa2001

After the Hull game? No - fuming. I was even worse after Soton.

But the past three games (including the Man City cup game) have been such an improvement.

And I think pre season was a disaster.

But I believe Guidolin was trying to get the best out of a weak squad and was getting there.

And saying he was happy was just because he didn't want to upset the players we have. He was also very keen to say he wasn't the one responsible for buying players (which could be taken in a number of ways).

At the end of the day, he's gone. I wouldn't have made that decision, but so be it. The lack of class bothers me, as do comments saying stuff like good riddance - he doesn't deserve that as he seemed a gentleman. Few around these days.

I agree with all of this. Also when he said he was happy with the squad he also added that he was used to working this way and was confident he could bet the team playing. Not misplaced confidence either as performances were showing considerable improvement. One poster said he got lucky last season well to him I would say he must of got unlucky this season as we could easily have increased our points total during the last few matches.
Anyway having said all that I just don't get these last two FG dissing threads. Unless of course there is an agenda of trying to justify the disgraceful actions of the Board (sorry to repeat).
Maybe they are defending Boo in advance. No need to worry on that front. He will stand and fall by his results and he is big enough and ugly enough to look after himself.
He has a mountain to climb though. Frankie was turning the corner after a poor and late transfer window. That time has now been lost and Boo has to start getting results from the off. If he doesn't we will be in the brown and smelly very quickly. I doubt there is still the appetite from the fans to allow another 6/ 7 games to change the system yet again and get the players up to speed. Boo will have done brilliantly if he makes wholesale changes and gets us on target for twenty points come the New Year. Like I said we have taken a massive and reckless risk but the guy gets my full support regardless.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2016 7:43]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 07:57 - Oct 6 with 1118 viewsSwansNZ

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:26 - Oct 5 by Quincy999

I'm not unhappy Guidolin has gone. I was initially underwhelmed the appointment of Bradley but I'm starting to look at the positives and what he can do rather than what he can't. He will get the team fit, which i don't think they are at the moment. He will motivate them better and he will communicate with them properly.

I know it is controversial to post this on this board but i do not particularly blame the new owners for not consulting with the Trust with the appointment.
They knew who they wanted, they knew the Trust would disagree. They may have also feared a leak of some sort that would have made the appointment more difficult.
It's like a teenager asking his parents if he can go out drinking all night, the answer would be no so most do not ask.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 21:27]

They could and should have consulted or at least informed the Trust of their plans, as a major shareholder and place on the board. Of course with 68%, they could still carry on without any agreement.

Feared a leak? It's been all over the media the last week or two, and it damn sure didn't come from the Trust.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 08:21 - Oct 6 with 1091 viewsAnotherJohn

What I feel sorry about is that the Board has not made the signings that would enable us to build on the so-called Swansea way of possession-based attacking football. I think Guidolin could have taken us further on that path, but that that possibility disappeared once it became clear he would have no decisive influence on recruitment. It seems to me that we will look back at what happened to Guido and the appointment of Bradley as a turning point. I expect Bradley to bring a more 'pragmatic' style to the club, and to hear no more of Huw's well-worn narrative of recruiting managers to suit the team approach, as opposed to having a new manager bring a new approach. My fear is that continuity of style has been sacrificed because cashing out at the right time was seen as a greater priority.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2016 9:22]
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 09:06 - Oct 6 with 1060 viewsjasper_T

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 08:21 - Oct 6 by AnotherJohn

What I feel sorry about is that the Board has not made the signings that would enable us to build on the so-called Swansea way of possession-based attacking football. I think Guidolin could have taken us further on that path, but that that possibility disappeared once it became clear he would have no decisive influence on recruitment. It seems to me that we will look back at what happened to Guido and the appointment of Bradley as a turning point. I expect Bradley to bring a more 'pragmatic' style to the club, and to hear no more of Huw's well-worn narrative of recruiting managers to suit the team approach, as opposed to having a new manager bring a new approach. My fear is that continuity of style has been sacrificed because cashing out at the right time was seen as a greater priority.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2016 9:22]

You didn't consider the football under Guidolin and Monk to be of a "pragmatic style"?
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 09:19 - Oct 6 with 1046 viewsAnotherJohn

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 09:06 - Oct 6 by jasper_T

You didn't consider the football under Guidolin and Monk to be of a "pragmatic style"?

It was pragmatic, but had the air of something temporary. Both Monk and Guido were hired when relegation seemed possible, and could be seen as steadying the ship before being allowed to rebuild and get back on course. What the latest appointment seems to signal is a change of direction - there is no more lip-service to getting back to the old way.

My hunch is that the problems really go back to events in Laudrup's time when Huw resisted Tutumlu's influence and took on a more proactive stance towards managing transfers. That alienated ML and constrained what Monk and Guido could do (though Monk had other weaknesses too).
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 09:28 - Oct 6 with 1032 viewsjack247

Not overly unhappy he has gone, though I would have preferred we kept him. Unhappy we have replaced him with what appears to be an inferior manager.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 10:16 - Oct 6 with 992 viewsjasper_T

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 09:19 - Oct 6 by AnotherJohn

It was pragmatic, but had the air of something temporary. Both Monk and Guido were hired when relegation seemed possible, and could be seen as steadying the ship before being allowed to rebuild and get back on course. What the latest appointment seems to signal is a change of direction - there is no more lip-service to getting back to the old way.

My hunch is that the problems really go back to events in Laudrup's time when Huw resisted Tutumlu's influence and took on a more proactive stance towards managing transfers. That alienated ML and constrained what Monk and Guido could do (though Monk had other weaknesses too).

How does it look different? We're again in a position where "relegation seems possible", and the board have jumped at getting a new man in.

I personally don't expect to see much change in how the club operates. We've got another head coach who'll work under the same director of football. We'll maintain more or less the same course as was set by Jenkins and Monk in the summer of the Spanish exodus.

If the old lip-service ends that's just lip-service, isn't it?
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 13:56 - Oct 6 with 934 viewsAnotherJohn

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 10:16 - Oct 6 by jasper_T

How does it look different? We're again in a position where "relegation seems possible", and the board have jumped at getting a new man in.

I personally don't expect to see much change in how the club operates. We've got another head coach who'll work under the same director of football. We'll maintain more or less the same course as was set by Jenkins and Monk in the summer of the Spanish exodus.

If the old lip-service ends that's just lip-service, isn't it?

I'm saying that when you have a third temporary diversion from the more expansive passing style it begins to look like a permanent change of direction. Nobody can pretend that we are picking the new manager to suit the Swanelona style. I'm not sure that we are disagreeing violently, but I have a real sense of change this year when in previous years I've always felt we'd try to return to our old identity.
Login to get fewer ads

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 14:08 - Oct 6 with 918 viewslondonlisa2001

It's quite interesting that similar anti Guidolin posts went onto several Swans forums at the same time last night.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 14:11 - Oct 6 with 912 viewsSwaneeRiver

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:10 - Oct 5 by Darran

I'm not unhappy about anything.

'kin hell - that's a first !
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 14:16 - Oct 6 with 904 viewsSwaneeRiver

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:26 - Oct 5 by Quincy999

I'm not unhappy Guidolin has gone. I was initially underwhelmed the appointment of Bradley but I'm starting to look at the positives and what he can do rather than what he can't. He will get the team fit, which i don't think they are at the moment. He will motivate them better and he will communicate with them properly.

I know it is controversial to post this on this board but i do not particularly blame the new owners for not consulting with the Trust with the appointment.
They knew who they wanted, they knew the Trust would disagree. They may have also feared a leak of some sort that would have made the appointment more difficult.
It's like a teenager asking his parents if he can go out drinking all night, the answer would be no so most do not ask.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 21:27]

Not controversial at all.
At the end of the day, the team needs a general boost and bit of re-direction.
Yes, we were doing better lately, but only in comparison to crap performances like Hull.
If Bradley can get us taking the field with the guts to take on allcomers and the intention to win, then all the best to him.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 15:23 - Oct 6 with 877 viewsWarwickHunt

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 14:16 - Oct 6 by SwaneeRiver

Not controversial at all.
At the end of the day, the team needs a general boost and bit of re-direction.
Yes, we were doing better lately, but only in comparison to crap performances like Hull.
If Bradley can get us taking the field with the guts to take on allcomers and the intention to win, then all the best to him.

" guts ... and the intention to win"

Aye - that'll work...
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 15:25 - Oct 6 with 871 viewsjasper_T

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 13:56 - Oct 6 by AnotherJohn

I'm saying that when you have a third temporary diversion from the more expansive passing style it begins to look like a permanent change of direction. Nobody can pretend that we are picking the new manager to suit the Swanelona style. I'm not sure that we are disagreeing violently, but I have a real sense of change this year when in previous years I've always felt we'd try to return to our old identity.

For me a third "temporary diversion" in a row means that the meaningful change actually happened yonks ago, but most people weren't paying close enough attention.

I don't expect anything to be different on the field now that the pretense has been abandoned. Guidolin wasn't trying to play a drastically different style from what Bradley is known for. Monk's approach was bang-on identical to Bob. It's the same group of players with the same strengths to be twisted into something resembling a football team.

"He'll get the players to work harder" some have said. Well that's exactly what Monk and Guidolin did when they came in.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 15:59 - Oct 6 with 845 viewsDyfnant

The games under Guidolins charge were generally crap entertainment even when winning. I still think he would've got us over the line at seasons end but another slog of a season. Whether that's due to his negative tactics or transfer market failures is debatable but we're in uncertain territory now with Bob. With this squad he''ll be nigh on a miracle worker to improve on what Guido could've done

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 16:05 - Oct 6 with 837 viewsjasper_T

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 15:59 - Oct 6 by Dyfnant

The games under Guidolins charge were generally crap entertainment even when winning. I still think he would've got us over the line at seasons end but another slog of a season. Whether that's due to his negative tactics or transfer market failures is debatable but we're in uncertain territory now with Bob. With this squad he''ll be nigh on a miracle worker to improve on what Guido could've done

Negative tactics and crap entertainment, now we're speaking Bob's language.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024