Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Players in January 12:23 - Nov 21 with 9014 viewsBriscwmjack

We all realise the need for New Players in January, i would like to see at least 5 players arriving, Would like to take Luke Ayling from Leeds at Right Back, think Sakho would a preffered central defensive signing, but would also be very happy to raid Bighton for Lewis Dunk, All three players are very commited and are very communative players. Robbie Brady from Norwich is too good for the championship, Also qould very much like to see two Forwards arriving, i would like Scott Hogan who is scoring for fun in the Championship, would also sign Jordan Rhodes who is out of favour at Boro, and would welcome a New Challenge.My thoughts an one thing is certain we need a Big Boost in January.
New Players in January on 15:10 - Nov 24 with 1194 viewsJackSkellington

Meanwhile, footage has emerged of one of Huw's prime January targets to lead the line and save our season...

...or it could just be Fernandez.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2016 18:08]
New Players in January on 15:36 - Nov 24 with 1174 viewsjasper_T

New Players in January on 22:32 - Nov 23 by alibaba

Is it?

I thought it was feckless leadership who have, over the past 3 years, stripped away any modicum of the "Swansea Way" identify we had both on and off the pitch.

I stand corrected.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2016 22:34]

That leadership sought out players like Naughton , Gomis & Cork; players from bigger clubs that don't fit the Swansea style that brought the club up through the leagues.

While I'm not sure there wasn't a day when Huw sat down and said "fck the "Swansea way", let's buy cloggers I've seen on tv/with dreadlocks", it's favouring rejects from bigger clubs (over lesser known continental players who could play) that has caused much of the loss of playing identity.
New Players in January on 22:40 - Nov 24 with 1074 viewsalibaba

New Players in January on 15:36 - Nov 24 by jasper_T

That leadership sought out players like Naughton , Gomis & Cork; players from bigger clubs that don't fit the Swansea style that brought the club up through the leagues.

While I'm not sure there wasn't a day when Huw sat down and said "fck the "Swansea way", let's buy cloggers I've seen on tv/with dreadlocks", it's favouring rejects from bigger clubs (over lesser known continental players who could play) that has caused much of the loss of playing identity.

Not really sure that argument really stands. For every Cork Naughton and Gomis (who I wouldn't say didn't really fit our style - could be a whole thread of its own) there is a Fabianski, Siggurdson and Ayew - "big" signings that have really worked and fitted our system. And for every Cork Naughton and Gomis (from big clubs) there is a Tabanou Ngog and Paloschi. - lesser known continental players that really haven't worked.

Not saying you're wrong but think it's too simplistic to say that's the reason we're in this mess. Anyway just my thoughts.
New Players in January on 07:14 - Nov 25 with 1020 viewsdobjack2

New Players in January on 22:40 - Nov 24 by alibaba

Not really sure that argument really stands. For every Cork Naughton and Gomis (who I wouldn't say didn't really fit our style - could be a whole thread of its own) there is a Fabianski, Siggurdson and Ayew - "big" signings that have really worked and fitted our system. And for every Cork Naughton and Gomis (from big clubs) there is a Tabanou Ngog and Paloschi. - lesser known continental players that really haven't worked.

Not saying you're wrong but think it's too simplistic to say that's the reason we're in this mess. Anyway just my thoughts.

Must disagree the argument does stand in my view. Ayew is a prime example of a signing that didn't fit the system. On paper he appeared to be what we needed - a goal scoring and creating wide player. The reality was that he was more of an inside forward - not suited to attacking midfield and lost shape of team by wanting to come inside and play in the same area as Gylfi.

Poor recruitment is at the heart of our problems. Before our Chairman/director of football/head of recruitment appeared to take full control of recruitment Martinez Rodgers and laudrup clearly played a part in signing players to fit our style of play and there was consistency in our appointments of managers so that there was a continuity of our style of play.

Manager appointments have screwed up our style of play so much that we don't have one and player recruitment seems equally all over the place. It feels like it's being organised by someone who had been successful at computer simulation games or thinks that they have learned all they need to know from previous managers.

As for the last window when we needed to strengthen I assume that hands were tied to a degree because of the time consuming share sale fiasco and that he couldn't run up outgoings on players whilst selling the shares- book balancing. After the share sale it was shambolic. Areas had been identified for strengthening as had players to fill them but ultimately we did feck all. Why?

I have no idea why we bought Baston because I don't know what system that we would play it was thought that he would fit into.

To sum up I believe our on field problems are caused by a successful chairman believing that having worked with the managers I named that he now understands the football side of things. This belief in himself has appeared to develop over a number of windows despite all the evidence that he was screwing up.
New Players in January on 07:27 - Nov 25 with 1005 viewsDr_Winston

New Players in January on 07:14 - Nov 25 by dobjack2

Must disagree the argument does stand in my view. Ayew is a prime example of a signing that didn't fit the system. On paper he appeared to be what we needed - a goal scoring and creating wide player. The reality was that he was more of an inside forward - not suited to attacking midfield and lost shape of team by wanting to come inside and play in the same area as Gylfi.

Poor recruitment is at the heart of our problems. Before our Chairman/director of football/head of recruitment appeared to take full control of recruitment Martinez Rodgers and laudrup clearly played a part in signing players to fit our style of play and there was consistency in our appointments of managers so that there was a continuity of our style of play.

Manager appointments have screwed up our style of play so much that we don't have one and player recruitment seems equally all over the place. It feels like it's being organised by someone who had been successful at computer simulation games or thinks that they have learned all they need to know from previous managers.

As for the last window when we needed to strengthen I assume that hands were tied to a degree because of the time consuming share sale fiasco and that he couldn't run up outgoings on players whilst selling the shares- book balancing. After the share sale it was shambolic. Areas had been identified for strengthening as had players to fill them but ultimately we did feck all. Why?

I have no idea why we bought Baston because I don't know what system that we would play it was thought that he would fit into.

To sum up I believe our on field problems are caused by a successful chairman believing that having worked with the managers I named that he now understands the football side of things. This belief in himself has appeared to develop over a number of windows despite all the evidence that he was screwing up.

That about covers it.

The roots of our current predicament clearly go back as far as 2012 when the first player unwanted by team management arrived, but ultimately everything from 2014 onwards has been an omnishambles.

The takeover has undoubtedly been a massive issue, but had Huw kept doing what had worked for over a decade instead of seizing total control then it's impact would surely have been lessened considerably.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

New Players in January on 09:14 - Nov 25 with 953 viewsjasper_T

I'd argue Gylfi and Fabianski don't really fit the old style either.

Fabianski is a great goalkeeper (on his day) but not half the footballer Vorm was, and while Gylfi thrives when there's a lot of movement around him and we're playing crisp passes all over the place, he doesn't make that side happen; he's all about the killer ball and bit of class at the end of it.

What's the old saying? You need 3 players to play the piano and 8 to carry it? We're lacking in quality players, sure, but more alarming is that the 8 lads carrying it can't pass a football between them any more.
New Players in January on 09:54 - Nov 25 with 931 viewsLeonWasGod

New Players in January on 21:52 - Nov 21 by Rancid

A keeper.We have to sign another goalkeeper or we're down.

Agreed, 4 is nowhere near enough!
New Players in January on 10:15 - Nov 25 with 921 viewsmagicdaps10

New Players in January on 09:14 - Nov 25 by jasper_T

I'd argue Gylfi and Fabianski don't really fit the old style either.

Fabianski is a great goalkeeper (on his day) but not half the footballer Vorm was, and while Gylfi thrives when there's a lot of movement around him and we're playing crisp passes all over the place, he doesn't make that side happen; he's all about the killer ball and bit of class at the end of it.

What's the old saying? You need 3 players to play the piano and 8 to carry it? We're lacking in quality players, sure, but more alarming is that the 8 lads carrying it can't pass a football between them any more.

Well Siggy fitted the new style superbly during his loan spell with us. Infact he was the cherry on the top during that season!!

Maybe the stats on FM dont suggest that he would suit the system but watching him play in the "old style" with my very own eyes then i can tell you that you are wrong.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Login to get fewer ads

New Players in January on 10:18 - Nov 25 with 919 viewsShonky

New Players in January on 15:10 - Nov 24 by JackSkellington

Meanwhile, footage has emerged of one of Huw's prime January targets to lead the line and save our season...

...or it could just be Fernandez.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2016 18:08]

Alan Waddle would have been proud of that one.

Its just a ride...

New Players in January on 11:54 - Nov 25 with 882 viewsjasper_T

New Players in January on 10:15 - Nov 25 by magicdaps10

Well Siggy fitted the new style superbly during his loan spell with us. Infact he was the cherry on the top during that season!!

Maybe the stats on FM dont suggest that he would suit the system but watching him play in the "old style" with my very own eyes then i can tell you that you are wrong.

Exactly, he was the cherry on top. We're missing the cake. He needs that pass & move foundation to be effective, he doesn't create it himself, as his game is about killer passes in the final third (and pressing all day). When build up is sloppy and there's not enough movement around him he becomes a player with a poor first touch and a yard behind the ball.

Who do you think makes up his stats in FM? Hint: it's me, and I have eyes too.
New Players in January on 15:30 - Nov 25 with 818 viewsNeiltheTaylor

No African players. Not that I'm being a MASSIVE racist, but the cup of nations will be no good for us then.

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

New Players in January on 16:47 - Nov 25 with 783 viewsmagicdaps10

New Players in January on 11:54 - Nov 25 by jasper_T

Exactly, he was the cherry on top. We're missing the cake. He needs that pass & move foundation to be effective, he doesn't create it himself, as his game is about killer passes in the final third (and pressing all day). When build up is sloppy and there's not enough movement around him he becomes a player with a poor first touch and a yard behind the ball.

Who do you think makes up his stats in FM? Hint: it's me, and I have eyes too.

Make up your mind!!!!

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

New Players in January on 20:46 - Nov 25 with 738 viewsgiantstoneater

New Players in January on 07:14 - Nov 25 by dobjack2

Always thought Ayew was the wrong player at the wrong time he would have excellent under Laudrup but that doesnt mean we should have sold our top goalscorer.
New Players in January on 23:28 - Nov 25 with 704 viewsTNT

New Players in January on 10:18 - Nov 25 by Shonky

Alan Waddle would have been proud of that one.

Remember seeing Alan Waddle put a penalty over the bar at Shrewsbury's Gay Meadow in '79-80, which put us out of the Welsh Cup semi final.

Still idolised the guy. Scored over 30 goals in 90 games for us. Knew how to head a ball in the net.

6 foot 2, eyes are blue, Alan Waddle's after you!

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

New Players in January on 10:18 - Nov 26 with 668 viewsdobjack2

New Players in January on 20:46 - Nov 25 by giantstoneater

Always thought Ayew was the wrong player at the wrong time he would have excellent under Laudrup but that doesnt mean we should have sold our top goalscorer.

He wanted out though.

The issue for me revolves around our dysfunctional recruitment strategy. There appears to be little correlation between our recruitment and a style of playing football and this has been made worse by hiring managers who want to play with different styles.

Our strength was hiring managers that had the same basic playing philosophy so that a change of manager did not throw everything out of the window. In addition those managers clearly had an input into recruitment so that we signed players that fitted that style of playing.

Player recruitment changed in the laudrup era when our chairman stopped being just chairman and decided to have a far greater say in recruitment. Player recruitment has gone downhill since.

The appointment of Monk as manager was also a major turning point for the club. This appointment resulted in a real change in our footballing style which we have not recovered from. Guidolin was a desperation appointment and I will be honest I thought that we should and would have thanked him for his work, given him a hefty bonus and then appointed a manager who would return us to the pre Monk era.

We didn't. Presumably looking for and interviewing prospective managers would have been a distraction from the most important business of the summer trousering the money from the share sales. So we took the cheap easy and lazy option to give him a contract.

guidolin had no input into transfers - so we sell our top scorer who in fairness to the club clearly wanted out, do not replace his wide position, and buy a striker with a good goalscoring record who had missed pre season and who doesn't fit into any system that we can play with the players we have recruited.

Since the time the chairman decided that he was more than just a chairman we have been travelling towards this point. What really annoys me is that he has paid himself well on the route and then propelled us into this position by appearing to put personal gain ahead of the club. Something the Norwich joint majority shareholder has said he won't do.

Unless the current team haul us up the table before the January window opens, which seems unlikely at the moment, I see players being sold and championship quality replacements rather than a serious attempt to keep us up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024