Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Drinkwater elbow 17:12 - Nov 21 with 5220 viewssandy_dale

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10666094/fa-studies-footage-after-l

Will be interesting to see how much consistency, if any, is shown with this.
Drinkwater elbow on 19:03 - Nov 21 with 5017 viewsboromat

I can guarantee it won't be nine games. Already talking about 3 games in the media.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Drinkwater elbow on 19:11 - Nov 21 with 4984 viewsolympicdale

There have been many incidents like Andrew's before, and there will be plenty after, it makes you wonder why the FL thought his deserved such a lengthy ban. It feels like a pop at the little guy, nothing else.

Life is a game of fate.

Drinkwater elbow on 19:47 - Nov 21 with 4865 viewsBendy

It won't be 9 games as there are key differences. Firstly there is an added mitigation in that it occurs in the aftermath of a challenge and after a pull back on him as he is running away by the Watford player.

But if consistency was to be followed I would like to think it would be longer than the standard 3. Perhaps 5-6 would be about right.
Drinkwater elbow on 20:19 - Nov 21 with 4798 viewsrkershaw

Drinkwater elbow on 19:47 - Nov 21 by Bendy

It won't be 9 games as there are key differences. Firstly there is an added mitigation in that it occurs in the aftermath of a challenge and after a pull back on him as he is running away by the Watford player.

But if consistency was to be followed I would like to think it would be longer than the standard 3. Perhaps 5-6 would be about right.

Grant (Port Vale) given an additional 5 match ban for remonstrating too zealously after his sending off....... looks like the powers that be are laying down the law in our league!!!!
Drinkwater elbow on 12:18 - Nov 24 with 4530 viewsDaleaholic

3 match ban for Drinkwater

Poll: What should happen with the 'Bowlee fund' money?

Drinkwater elbow on 12:42 - Nov 24 with 4453 viewsboromat

Drinkwater elbow on 12:18 - Nov 24 by Daleaholic

3 match ban for Drinkwater

Knew it! I don't think it was as bad as Calvin's because the footage includes an obvious reason for his retaliatory actions but 6 games difference between the two offences? I think not!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Drinkwater elbow on 13:06 - Nov 24 with 4396 viewsmoth5368

As far as the FA are concerned is it any more acceptable if it's retaliation? I think that would be a dangerous precedent to set.
Drinkwater elbow on 14:27 - Nov 24 with 4287 viewsBendy

Drinkwater elbow on 13:06 - Nov 24 by moth5368

As far as the FA are concerned is it any more acceptable if it's retaliation? I think that would be a dangerous precedent to set.

It is not that it is less acceptable if it is retaliation as it is still unacceptable behaviour and therefore a ban.

But certain things make situation worse (aggrivating factors) and some things help show less premeditated intent (mitigating factors). It is only right to balance the two when coming to a suitable punishment. It isn't a precedent either as that is the way it has worked for years.

It works the same way in a court of law. If someone went out with a knife and deliberately stabbed and killed someone for no apparent reason then they will get a longer tariff on their life sentence for murder than someone who goes out with a similar knife who only stabs and kills someone in a moment of madness after they punched him first. Both are the same act and consequence but there is fair reason to punish one more severely.
Login to get fewer ads

Drinkwater elbow on 21:31 - Nov 24 with 4053 viewsrkershaw

Drinkwater elbow on 14:27 - Nov 24 by Bendy

It is not that it is less acceptable if it is retaliation as it is still unacceptable behaviour and therefore a ban.

But certain things make situation worse (aggrivating factors) and some things help show less premeditated intent (mitigating factors). It is only right to balance the two when coming to a suitable punishment. It isn't a precedent either as that is the way it has worked for years.

It works the same way in a court of law. If someone went out with a knife and deliberately stabbed and killed someone for no apparent reason then they will get a longer tariff on their life sentence for murder than someone who goes out with a similar knife who only stabs and kills someone in a moment of madness after they punched him first. Both are the same act and consequence but there is fair reason to punish one more severely.

3 games........yet again we see how the premiership big hitters are treated so very differently !!
Drinkwater elbow on 22:19 - Nov 24 with 3980 viewsBendy

Drinkwater elbow on 21:31 - Nov 24 by rkershaw

3 games........yet again we see how the premiership big hitters are treated so very differently !!

True. I agree. As I mentioned before I'd have thought 5-6 games would have been fitting punishment, after all the opponent wasn't expecting the hit when it was delivered.
Drinkwater elbow on 23:27 - Nov 24 with 3902 viewsdownunder

Drinkwater elbow on 13:06 - Nov 24 by moth5368

Calvin's was retaliation as well, just not immediate retaliation.
When I played Rugby, I had a coach that told us to get our retaliation in first.
Drinkwater elbow on 09:56 - Nov 25 with 3744 viewsNafelad

I don't think there's consistency - did CA deserve a ban 4x (changed to 3x) the length of Drinkwater's ban, for a reasonably similar offence, bearing in mind all mitigating factors?

Topcat

Drinkwater elbow on 10:05 - Nov 25 with 3735 viewsD_Alien

Drinkwater elbow on 09:56 - Nov 25 by Nafelad

I don't think there's consistency - did CA deserve a ban 4x (changed to 3x) the length of Drinkwater's ban, for a reasonably similar offence, bearing in mind all mitigating factors?

I'd say Calvin's offence was worse, but you're right - not x3/x4 worse

If Drinkwater's offence is deemed worthy of a 3 match ban, the absolute maximum Calvin should've received was probably 6 matches. But it's of little consequence to claim we've been unfairly treated when it's in our own hands to not have to face such consequences

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Drinkwater elbow on 15:37 - Dec 5 with 3474 viewshildale

Aguero gets just a 4 match ban for a tackle that was to say the least 'agricultural' and could have ended Luiz's career .....and its his second red card of the season. Compared to the ban for Calvin its a joke!! Oh I forgot, he plays for a 'Prem team'!!!!
Drinkwater elbow on 16:06 - Dec 5 with 3426 viewsaleanddale

Drinkwater elbow on 15:37 - Dec 5 by hildale

Aguero gets just a 4 match ban for a tackle that was to say the least 'agricultural' and could have ended Luiz's career .....and its his second red card of the season. Compared to the ban for Calvin its a joke!! Oh I forgot, he plays for a 'Prem team'!!!!

Devils advocate - Aguero was in the same postcode as the ball.

Regrettable calv was not.

Not long now and he will be available for selection.

Have we missed him?

Away I think we have ( his hold up play and defensive duties ) we have still done pretty well without him.
Drinkwater elbow on 17:48 - Dec 5 with 3289 viewsbrownale

Drinkwater elbow on 16:06 - Dec 5 by aleanddale

Devils advocate - Aguero was in the same postcode as the ball.

Regrettable calv was not.

Not long now and he will be available for selection.

Have we missed him?

Away I think we have ( his hold up play and defensive duties ) we have still done pretty well without him.

I think Agueros was as pre meditated if not more so than Calvins as it was a retaliation to something that happened in the first half of the match.
Drinkwater elbow on 18:07 - Dec 5 with 3251 views442Dale

As long as we're not arguing about the length of Calvin's ban, it's right to question the lengths of other suspensions. Calvin's was fair, whether it was 12 or 9, and can't really be compared to any other incident apart from saying they all took place on a football pitch.

He certainly wasn't hard done to. Whether others have got away lightly is another matter: that Aguero one should have got longer, but that's purely an opinion.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Drinkwater elbow on 18:26 - Dec 5 with 3214 viewsnordenblue

Drinkwater elbow on 18:07 - Dec 5 by 442Dale

As long as we're not arguing about the length of Calvin's ban, it's right to question the lengths of other suspensions. Calvin's was fair, whether it was 12 or 9, and can't really be compared to any other incident apart from saying they all took place on a football pitch.

He certainly wasn't hard done to. Whether others have got away lightly is another matter: that Aguero one should have got longer, but that's purely an opinion.

442 It's impossible NOT to compare when Calvins received 3/4 times the length of ban for a similar incident.

I appreciate doing such an action gives the authorities the option to punish you,but all people can ask for is consistency sadly none of which have been applied when dishing out Calvins ban,dress it up how you like but his ban is/was ridiculously harsh.
Drinkwater elbow on 18:35 - Dec 5 with 3195 viewsD_Alien

Drinkwater elbow on 17:48 - Dec 5 by brownale

I think Agueros was as pre meditated if not more so than Calvins as it was a retaliation to something that happened in the first half of the match.

It was evident from footage shown on MOTD that bad blood existed between Aguero & Luiz going back to the latter's first spell at Chelsea.

Does that mean a greater degree of pre-meditation (if such a thing existed) should result in a longer ban? No, since it's unmeasurable.

All that can be measured is whether an act of violence occurred with intention to cause harm. A broken leg can end a career; an elbow to the face is potentially life-threatening, as we've seen with single blows to the head resulting in the death of the recipient.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Drinkwater elbow on 18:41 - Dec 5 with 3186 views442Dale

Drinkwater elbow on 18:26 - Dec 5 by nordenblue

442 It's impossible NOT to compare when Calvins received 3/4 times the length of ban for a similar incident.

I appreciate doing such an action gives the authorities the option to punish you,but all people can ask for is consistency sadly none of which have been applied when dishing out Calvins ban,dress it up how you like but his ban is/was ridiculously harsh.

I'm not dressing it up, it's an opinion based on the fact that I've never seen anything like it before and it was a case of acknowledging that any ban would be deserved. How can consistency be applied when video reviews are of different incidents each time?

If we think other players deserve 9/12 games, it's right those incidents should be pointed out. I've yet to see any incident like Calvin's but am happy to re-assess if there's one out there. As I said, Aguero's ban should have been longer, it's quite correct that there's debate around that - it'd be interesting to see the report around how the decision was reached like we did with Calvin's.

Drinkwater elbow on 19:02 - Dec 5 with 3156 viewsNafelad

Compare:
Drinkwater - 3 matches - elbow/forearm to head, no premeditation and 'off the ball', (just).
Aguero - 4 matches (due to second violent offence), tackle that could have led to serious injury.
CA - 9 (12) matches - elbow/forearm to head, premeditation and 'off the ball', no previous violent offences.

Topcat

Drinkwater elbow on 19:21 - Dec 5 with 3133 views442Dale

Drinkwater elbow on 19:02 - Dec 5 by Nafelad

Compare:
Drinkwater - 3 matches - elbow/forearm to head, no premeditation and 'off the ball', (just).
Aguero - 4 matches (due to second violent offence), tackle that could have led to serious injury.
CA - 9 (12) matches - elbow/forearm to head, premeditation and 'off the ball', no previous violent offences.

The other two should have got longer bans.

Drinkwater elbow on 22:18 - Dec 5 with 3027 viewsnordenblue

Drinkwater elbow on 18:41 - Dec 5 by 442Dale

I'm not dressing it up, it's an opinion based on the fact that I've never seen anything like it before and it was a case of acknowledging that any ban would be deserved. How can consistency be applied when video reviews are of different incidents each time?

If we think other players deserve 9/12 games, it's right those incidents should be pointed out. I've yet to see any incident like Calvin's but am happy to re-assess if there's one out there. As I said, Aguero's ban should have been longer, it's quite correct that there's debate around that - it'd be interesting to see the report around how the decision was reached like we did with Calvin's.

Every incident is mildly different granted but it surely must come under a blanket ruling for all offences during a game,it was from my viewing a violent off the ball incident to which any punishment should compare to other previous incidents of the same/similar nature?

Drinkwaters incident is very similar without trawling through the previous offences down the years,yet Calvins initial ban was 4 times that for what must surely fall into the same bracket,wheres the consistency there?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024