Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
mo barrow up front 18:57 - Dec 5 with 6193 viewsspiderboy

could be an interesting one,like sh"t off a shovel!could cause a riot between the mackems centre backs,play siggy where hes best,routledge delivering the ball for mo and siggy to latch on to.3pts in the bag .could be up to 18th come sat night!
mo barrow up front on 11:16 - Dec 7 with 849 viewsKerouac

mo barrow up front on 11:00 - Dec 7 by jasper_T

Barrow's as one-dimensional as your posting.

He's not a good enough footballer for his pace to be a genuine weapon at this level. Stick him in League Two or whatever pub league you played in and it's a different story.

That's right, instead of Bob even TRYING to find a way to utilise Barrow's pace better he should instead do what you prescribe and send only 9 players out with an ageing Routledge wide left ('cos that has been working);

Fabianski
Naughton vdH Amat ???
Ki(Fer) Cork(Britton) Gylfi
??? Baston Routledge
[Post edited 7 Dec 2016 11:17]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

mo barrow up front on 11:34 - Dec 7 with 832 viewsjack247

mo barrow up front on 10:57 - Dec 7 by Kerouac

Ian Rush's only attribute was his pace over 10-30 yards. Likewise Andy Cole.
What else do these 2 have in common?
That's right, they scored shed loads of goals.

Thierry Henry was a winger with lots of pace going nowhere...Wenger found a way of exploiting that pace. Henry was 23/24 at the time of the switch.

Ian Rush and Andy Coles only attributes were pace over 10-30 yards? Come on mate be serious.

Their biggest assets were their ability to read play (right place right time), make clever runs and find space in the box. Oh and they were pretty good finishers too. I'd say all those were of equal if not greater importance than their pace.

Which of those boxes would you say Barrow ticks?
mo barrow up front on 12:22 - Dec 7 with 816 viewsjasper_T

mo barrow up front on 11:16 - Dec 7 by Kerouac

That's right, instead of Bob even TRYING to find a way to utilise Barrow's pace better he should instead do what you prescribe and send only 9 players out with an ageing Routledge wide left ('cos that has been working);

Fabianski
Naughton vdH Amat ???
Ki(Fer) Cork(Britton) Gylfi
??? Baston Routledge
[Post edited 7 Dec 2016 11:17]

Those aren't the only two options.

You're so obsessed with pace that you're ignoring the fact that he's Championship standard at best (Blackburn weren't keen on him when he went there, he's lucky he got recalled when he did).
mo barrow up front on 12:29 - Dec 7 with 807 viewsKerouac

mo barrow up front on 11:34 - Dec 7 by jack247

Ian Rush and Andy Coles only attributes were pace over 10-30 yards? Come on mate be serious.

Their biggest assets were their ability to read play (right place right time), make clever runs and find space in the box. Oh and they were pretty good finishers too. I'd say all those were of equal if not greater importance than their pace.

Which of those boxes would you say Barrow ticks?

OK, as far as Ian Rush was concerned I was exaggerating.
Ian Rush was my favourite player as a kid and his best attribute was his acceleration over a short distance...the thing that made him special.
Yes he could do other things....his first touch, reliably hit the target, work harder than most centre forwards in terms of defending from the front and making runs into channels.
All of those things are basics that can be coached and improved on by playing the position.

There were other things about Rush that were pure instinct...but he is the best example of a striker with great acceleration.

Andy Cole on the other hand...I see no reason why Barrow couldn't do anything Cole could.
It's just about coaching.

mo barrow up front on 12:57 - Dec 7 with 792 viewsKerouac

mo barrow up front on 12:22 - Dec 7 by jasper_T

Those aren't the only two options.

You're so obsessed with pace that you're ignoring the fact that he's Championship standard at best (Blackburn weren't keen on him when he went there, he's lucky he got recalled when he did).

Mate, you were asked what was the best way to go from here.

Your first suggestion was a time machine.
Your second was a formation/system that you as well as admitted (with your team selection) that we don't have the personnel for.

Coaching is about getting the most out of what you have. The principles behind my urging a switch to 3-5-2 and giving Barrow a go up front are thus;

1) Our defence isn't functioning properly. In fact, it is a disaster back there.
- with my formation we will have 5 at the back and an anchor man or two when we are under the cosh.
Van der Hoorn is in the middle and charged with winning the 1st ball. Amat and Mawson sweep up around him and mark up AMs and wingers trying to play off the oppo's CF.

2) Our wing play has been dreadful.
- With my system, when we have the ball, it is the wing-backs who provide some width....their only brief being to get forward into the space and then choose a pass or cross (predominantly towards Llorente). No responsibilities as regards scoring and making goals. Just provide the outlet out wide and try to keep the attack going.

3) We are are not making enough clear cut chances.
- In my system/s Llorente is the target man. He is partnered by Barrow and supported by Siggy....OR....he is alone up front and supported by 3 from Siggy, Fer, Routledge, Barrow or Montero.
Llorente is a good footballer. I've seen enough to know that. We need to find a way to get more players near him and running off him....this is how we will eventually begin to unlock defences and create clear cut chances again.

4) We have 2 players (Barrow and Montero) with electric pace stuck out on the wing; Both of whom don't cross the ball well yet both can breeze past a man. Both of whom don't take nearly enough shots and don't contribute goals (they are not involved enough).
- We need to get them involved. Either as a second striker playing off the target man or in a central position in behind the striker.
What is the point in insisting these players are out wide sticking shit balls in to Llorente and Siggy who we hope are going to click.
IT'S NOT WORKING!

5) We don't get enough bodies in the box.
- We need these players in and around the box. We need more shots on target. Let the full backs stick crosses and passes in there. Get the boys who can hurt the opposition receiving the ball either in the box or just outside it.

--------------------------------- Fabianski -------------------------------------
----------- Amat ---------- Van der Hoorn ---------- Mawson -----------
-------------------- Cork ----------------------- Leon --------------------------
Fer ---------------------------- Siggurdsson --------------------- Montero
-------------------- Barrow ----------------- Llorente/Baston --------------

OR

--------------------------------- Fabianski -------------------------------------
----------- Amat ---------- Van der Hoorn ---------- Mawson -----------
Naughton--------------------- Cork/Leon -------------------------- Kingsley/Taylor
--------------- Fer ---------- Siggurdsson -------- Barrow/Routledge ---
--------------------------------- Llorente----------------------------------------
[Post edited 7 Dec 2016 13:04]

mo barrow up front on 13:25 - Dec 7 with 795 viewsjasper_T

I stand by my proposed formation and tactics, and I don't think I said we don't have the personnel for it. I left ??? because I don't care which of our players get thrown in there, as it wouldn't matter either way.

Stick Barrow on the right, Kingsley at left-back like the West Ham game. Or Dyer on the right and Taylor at left back like the good old days. Give the kids a go, whatever, it won't break or change the system of play any.
mo barrow up front on 14:04 - Dec 7 with 783 viewsKerouac

mo barrow up front on 13:25 - Dec 7 by jasper_T

I stand by my proposed formation and tactics, and I don't think I said we don't have the personnel for it. I left ??? because I don't care which of our players get thrown in there, as it wouldn't matter either way.

Stick Barrow on the right, Kingsley at left-back like the West Ham game. Or Dyer on the right and Taylor at left back like the good old days. Give the kids a go, whatever, it won't break or change the system of play any.

You'd "stick Barrow on the right" of your formation...really?!?

I only ask as you had this to say about him earlier in this thread;

"He's not a good enough footballer for his pace to be a genuine weapon at this level. Stick him in League Two or whatever pub league you played in and it's a different story."

Re: your formation and tactics.

Am I right in thinking your changes amount too;
1) Wingers don't defend anymore
2) Wingers go narrow, almost inside forwards (So Routledge and Dyer are going to score the goals to get us out of this? It can't be Barrow after all as you wrote him off as L2 standard)
3) Siggy is allowed to "drift" in your flat 3 in midfield you say....so he goes forward? to exactly the same place as he does now (in the hole)? and he has Llorente ahead of him and 2 wingers either side....what, like he does at the moment except a tad narrower?
4) and we go with the same defence as we do now, except maybe Kingsley coming in.

Forgive me but what you seem to be proposing is a slight tweak here and there.
WE ARE BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE.
WE DON'T CREATE CHANCES
AND
WE SHIP GOALS LIKE THE SS. WEAK-AS-PISS.

Anyway, nice debating with you (we're obviously going to have to agree to disagree).
[Post edited 7 Dec 2016 14:05]

mo barrow up front on 14:17 - Dec 7 with 770 viewsjasper_T

If you want to see how the formation works look up the West Ham game 6 months ago.

You may be surprised to learn that we won that game handily with players we still have (Baston in for Ayew), and without our best player on the pitch.
Login to get fewer ads

mo barrow up front on 20:25 - Dec 7 with 725 viewsJBT95

mo barrow up front on 22:05 - Dec 5 by pencoedjack

If he played for Wales I would bet a lot of money you would not have the same view

He's craptastic.

He tried being clever Saturday at WHL, tricked himself off the ball, Spurs went up the other end and Harry Kane banged it in for 3-0 and game over.

Barrow is frustrating and I get annoyed when I see him on the team sheet.

When was the last time he scored or assisted for us? Bournemouth away I imagine.
mo barrow up front on 23:06 - Dec 10 with 652 viewsKerouac

It can't have escaped anyone's notice that when Barrow had the ball wide left today his delivery was awful...YET when playing inside and linking up with Llorente and Siggy he was incredibly dangerous and made shit happen.

- There was that run with the ball in the 1st half direct into the channel that terrified the Sunderland defence.
- There was that counter attack in the 2nd half that nearly came off when Barrow streaked up the middle of the park and someone (I don't recall who) tried to lift a ball over the top of the defence for him to run on too.
- and there was that 1-2 with Siggy through the middle which resulted in Barrow hitting a firm left footed shot on target that required a bloody good save (we scored from the resulting corner).

When you get down to it football is a simple game.

mo barrow up front on 20:31 - Dec 12 with 566 viewsspiderboy

mo barrow up front on 23:06 - Dec 10 by Kerouac

It can't have escaped anyone's notice that when Barrow had the ball wide left today his delivery was awful...YET when playing inside and linking up with Llorente and Siggy he was incredibly dangerous and made shit happen.

- There was that run with the ball in the 1st half direct into the channel that terrified the Sunderland defence.
- There was that counter attack in the 2nd half that nearly came off when Barrow streaked up the middle of the park and someone (I don't recall who) tried to lift a ball over the top of the defence for him to run on too.
- and there was that 1-2 with Siggy through the middle which resulted in Barrow hitting a firm left footed shot on target that required a bloody good save (we scored from the resulting corner).

When you get down to it football is a simple game.

yes,so we weren't that crazy after all! when he made that darting run,slicing through the defence I thought to myself that we may have been f*****g right after all!
llorente is our chief striker and it would be crazy for him not to play him up front,but by god ,barrow scared them to death through the middle on a few occasions/coys
mo barrow up front on 21:16 - Dec 12 with 526 viewsjasper_T

How many goals did he score?

How many times did he even hit the target?
mo barrow up front on 21:35 - Dec 12 with 512 viewsspiderboy

mo barrow up front on 21:16 - Dec 12 by jasper_T

How many goals did he score?

How many times did he even hit the target?

well,he didn't score any...he hit the target tho...you should have been at the liberty..you would have been able to witness those statistics..just letting you know that,as witnessed by many,barrow did ok cutting inside and running direct at the CB,s..his starting place was wide left,(just to let you know)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024