Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Morton 15:13 - Dec 8 with 4688 viewshammerdale

I was interested to read a forum post on Tony Collins 1964/65 side. I know there are many dale fans from that era who believe that side was a better one than the 1968/69 side.

Many years ago I had a long chat with Reg Jenkins, who also believed that his first season with dale was h is best and the best side he had played with. Specifically he spoke in glowing terms of his strike partner George Morton describing him as the most skillful he had ever played with and sited injuries to Morton and Storf as the reason they were not promoted.. I recall Morton being terribly underrated by the Spotland crowd and eventually being a victim of the !boo boys"

Inexplicably released at the end of the 65/66 season despite a scoring record of 1 goal every 3 gamesGeorge became a cult hero at Bangor City, scoring hundreds of goals. George sadly died in 2009. IN my opinion a Rochdale !great!
George Morton on 16:06 - Dec 8 with 4625 views49thseason

Didnt Dave Storf get transferred from Rochdale to Barrow ? Morton was a terrific player, the ideal inside forward, quick , great control and scored goals from inside and outside the penalty area.
George Morton on 16:24 - Dec 8 with 4594 viewsSuddenLad

George was one of my favourite ever Dale players who I had the privilege to meet properly in 2007 at the Dale Centenary Dinner at the Town Hall. He was a great partner for Reg Jenkins in that team, which was a great side to watch when on song. To see them both together again was a special moment.....

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

George Morton on 16:26 - Dec 8 with 4588 viewsSuddenLad

George Morton on 16:06 - Dec 8 by 49thseason

Didnt Dave Storf get transferred from Rochdale to Barrow ? Morton was a terrific player, the ideal inside forward, quick , great control and scored goals from inside and outside the penalty area.

Yes, Barrow sounds right. He arrived from Sheffield Wednesday I think.

George Morton on 16:45 - Dec 8 with 4573 viewssince58

George Morton on 16:24 - Dec 8 by SuddenLad

George was one of my favourite ever Dale players who I had the privilege to meet properly in 2007 at the Dale Centenary Dinner at the Town Hall. He was a great partner for Reg Jenkins in that team, which was a great side to watch when on song. To see them both together again was a special moment.....

Not to sure S L did Joey Richardson play in that team out wide.
George Morton on 17:12 - Dec 8 with 4542 viewsdavidab2202

George Morton on 16:45 - Dec 8 by since58

Not to sure S L did Joey Richardson play in that team out wide.

joe Richardson played at Inside left and George at Inside right.
George also one of my all time favourites at Spotland.
Joe unfortunately died at a very young age following an accident ,I think in Accrington if my memory served me well
George Morton on 17:39 - Dec 8 with 4528 viewssince58

George Morton on 17:12 - Dec 8 by davidab2202

Joe unfortunately died at a very young age following an accident ,I think in Accrington if my memory served me well

Cheers for that DD 2202 .
I remember watching him as a kid in one game juggling the ball running down the wing.
Maybe that's why I thought he played out wide.
George Morton on 18:23 - Dec 8 with 4496 viewsSuddenLad

George Morton on 17:12 - Dec 8 by davidab2202

Road accident on the old by-pass between Haslingden and Accy. He was only a young man. Terrible tragedy

George Morton on 18:29 - Dec 8 with 4491 views1949er

I remember Eddie Wainwright about the same time .Knocked me out whilst shooting in before the game

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Login to get fewer ads

George Morton on 18:59 - Dec 8 with 4464 viewsmingthemerciless

George Morton came to the 'Dale from Everton reserves. He was quick, really skilful and had a eye for a goal. I remember him playing in the Reg Jenkins, Graham Cunliffe, Laurie Calloway etc team. A really good team on the eye that played passing football. We just needed a couple of more players and we would have got promoted. i don't know what went wrong with George but one minute we were turning down a sizeable offer for him and the next minute releasing him on a free transfer.

Dave Storf was another quick and skilful forward Tony Collins picked up from Sheffield Wednesday reserves. He was later sold to Barrow for a decent fee at the time
George Morton on 19:14 - Dec 8 with 4437 viewsfirgrovedale51

George Morton on 18:59 - Dec 8 by mingthemerciless

George Morton came to the 'Dale from Everton reserves. He was quick, really skilful and had a eye for a goal. I remember him playing in the Reg Jenkins, Graham Cunliffe, Laurie Calloway etc team. A really good team on the eye that played passing football. We just needed a couple of more players and we would have got promoted. i don't know what went wrong with George but one minute we were turning down a sizeable offer for him and the next minute releasing him on a free transfer.

Dave Storf was another quick and skilful forward Tony Collins picked up from Sheffield Wednesday reserves. He was later sold to Barrow for a decent fee at the time

Yes George was a good footballer and one of my favourites
George Morton on 01:41 - Dec 9 with 4322 viewsDiddyDave

It`s in Tony Collins book that he thought Dale were a player or two off being a promotion side,but the usual Dale problem of being skint ended those hopes. Fifty years on and nothing much has changed in the financial side of the club. Billy Rudd was the player Bob Stokoe brought in from memory to build that `69 promotion team around,though Stokoe had left by the time Dale got that win over Southend. Is Billy still around,does anybody know?
George Morton on 04:15 - Dec 9 with 4311 viewsdavidab2202

George Morton on 01:41 - Dec 9 by DiddyDave

It`s in Tony Collins book that he thought Dale were a player or two off being a promotion side,but the usual Dale problem of being skint ended those hopes. Fifty years on and nothing much has changed in the financial side of the club. Billy Rudd was the player Bob Stokoe brought in from memory to build that `69 promotion team around,though Stokoe had left by the time Dale got that win over Southend. Is Billy still around,does anybody know?

If you mean is he still alive,the answer would appear to be yes.
Left us to join Bury and after his playing days were over I think he worked as a Painter and Decorator in the town according to an article I read somewhere some years ago.On his day Billy was another fine inside right.
George Morton on 06:30 - Dec 9 with 4297 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Thought I read somewhere he lives in Bury?
George Morton on 09:05 - Dec 9 with 4266 viewsmingthemerciless

George Morton on 04:15 - Dec 9 by davidab2202

If you mean is he still alive,the answer would appear to be yes.
Left us to join Bury and after his playing days were over I think he worked as a Painter and Decorator in the town according to an article I read somewhere some years ago.On his day Billy was another fine inside right.

Yeah Billy Rudd was a very clever player. I'd say he was the brains behind the promotion team.
He left for Bury in exchange for Alf Arrowsmith if my memory is correct.
George Morton on 11:37 - Dec 9 with 4214 viewsD_Alien

Rudd was the driving force in the '69 promotion team, alongside Vinnie Leech who played a deeper midfield role

'Sir Billy' also had a reputation for winning penalties, without ever having any doubts about whether they were justified or not - he just drove into the box and kept going until someone legged him!

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

George Morton on 13:52 - Dec 9 with 4166 viewsmingthemerciless

George Morton on 11:37 - Dec 9 by D_Alien

Rudd was the driving force in the '69 promotion team, alongside Vinnie Leech who played a deeper midfield role

'Sir Billy' also had a reputation for winning penalties, without ever having any doubts about whether they were justified or not - he just drove into the box and kept going until someone legged him!

Now you mention it I remember him winning a few that wouldn't have been out of place in today's football. He was a very skilful dribbler though and opponents were tempted to put a leg in.

He started out as a winger at Birmingham City in the old Division One. I was browsing the net the other day and I came across a photo of their players waiting for a flight abroad in the old " Inter Cities Fairs Cup ". A very young and smartly dressed Billy was stood watching the old pro's playing cards in the departure lounge.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024