Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes thread 17:11 - Jul 15 with 103853 viewsjohnhoop

Now that the World Cup’s done and dusted we can turn our attention to the next major event.
For me the most interesting questions about team selection are;
1) Do we open with Jason Roy? For me it’s a no brainer. I know all the arguments against- he doesn’t even open for Surrey, he struggles against the moving ball etc- but I feel that he’s in such good form and the alternatives are so mediocre that it would be silly not to. If he does come off he could give us control of the game in the first couple of hours. Him and Rory Burns for me.
2) Now that Jofra Archer has to have a place in the side, who are the other two quick bowlers going to be. If fit I guess Anderson has to play and I would give the third spot to Woakes but this means no place for Stuart Broad and the 90 mph+ Mark Wood.
3) Which spinner to go with - Ali or Rashid? Ali’s batting form seems to have dipped but it’s still not an easy decision to make.
Any thoughts?
Ashes thread on 23:48 - Aug 22 with 1658 viewsHooparoo

Congratulations Poms. I think you just won the Ashes after that little collapse in the last session.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Ashes thread on 00:52 - Aug 23 with 1631 viewstimcocking

The problem for England is always starting hampered by our own selectors. To have started a blatantly injured Jimmy Anderson instead of Jofra Archer in the first test...incompetence just doesn't do it justice, fcuking criminal. And yet, par for the course, our selectors have and will always get it wrong if they can.

Jofra you bloody beauty.

Ps No, i most certainly never said it's a shame he isn't playing for the West Indies, ahem. Definitely never said that.
Ashes thread on 01:58 - Aug 23 with 1621 viewsbob566

Irish fan here. That was some bowling. Broad and archa immense.
Ashes thread on 07:28 - Aug 23 with 1551 viewsdistortR

Ashes thread on 00:52 - Aug 23 by timcocking

The problem for England is always starting hampered by our own selectors. To have started a blatantly injured Jimmy Anderson instead of Jofra Archer in the first test...incompetence just doesn't do it justice, fcuking criminal. And yet, par for the course, our selectors have and will always get it wrong if they can.

Jofra you bloody beauty.

Ps No, i most certainly never said it's a shame he isn't playing for the West Indies, ahem. Definitely never said that.

or, if picked, it could have been the not quite fit Archer who broke down after 4 overs
Ashes thread on 09:01 - Aug 23 with 1524 viewsthame_hoops

Ashes thread on 23:48 - Aug 22 by Hooparoo

Congratulations Poms. I think you just won the Ashes after that little collapse in the last session.

I still think a drawn series will be the outcome.

Hate the term ‘Pom’ it’s always said in a nasty way
Ashes thread on 09:37 - Aug 23 with 1504 viewsHooparoo

Ashes thread on 09:01 - Aug 23 by thame_hoops

I still think a drawn series will be the outcome.

Hate the term ‘Pom’ it’s always said in a nasty way

You’ll be happy to know it’s not nasty. Convicts arriving in Oz from England had POHM (Prisoner of His Majesty) written on their backs hence - Poms.

Most Aussies have some Pom to thank for their existence so I assure you it’s not nasty.

As for Aussies dumb enough to follow the Rs well, there’s not many of us down under. 😬

Ashes thread on 09:52 - Aug 23 with 1491 viewsElHoop

Ashes thread on 00:52 - Aug 23 by timcocking

Jofra you bloody beauty.

Archer wasn't fit for the first test. A lot of our bowlers were carrying injuries after the World Cup. Archer had a side injury which needed rest, so they sent him home to Barbados for a week and then he proved his fitness in a second XI game. Had he played in the first test he'd more than likely have broken down.
Ashes thread on 10:07 - Aug 23 with 1476 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 23:48 - Aug 22 by Hooparoo

I wouldn’t be too sure about that. Never underestimate this England batting line-up’s potential for staging spectacular collapses of their own. I’m really hoping that the second innings at Lords was an indication that they’ve turned a corner in this regard but I certainly wouldn’t bet on it. If the prodigious amounts of movement off the pitch that Broad and Archer were getting yesterday morning are anything like replicated by the Aussie bowlers ( who are certainly good enough to do it), we’re going to be in for a pretty torrid time. Just hoping the improved weather today makes a difference.
Login to get fewer ads

Ashes thread on 11:19 - Aug 23 with 1728 viewsNov77

Least surprising news of the day, Roy gone for 9,

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 11:27 - Aug 23 with 1688 viewsCamberleyR

on 01:00 - Jan 1 by

It's not really surprising. He plays hardly at all any red ball first class cricket so he doesn't get exposure to a moving ball. His technique has become accustomed to the white ball which moves nowhere near as much and it seems he can't adjust. Put him front of a moving red ball and he's all at sea.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Ashes thread on 11:29 - Aug 23 with 1675 viewsrunningman75

England lacking a world class test batsman. Time to raid the Commonwealth to see if there is one out there.
Ashes thread on 11:31 - Aug 23 with 1674 viewsjohnhoop

For all that Archer and Broad bowled brilliantly yesterday the predictable disintegration yet again of our top order means we needed to get them out for less than 100 to stand any chance.
Ashes thread on 11:33 - Aug 23 with 1660 viewsted_hendrix

Useless fecking knobs.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 11:38 - Aug 23 with 1648 viewsPhildo

England and Australia really working hard to prove the 5 day game is a goner,
Ashes thread on 11:54 - Aug 23 with 1616 viewsjonno

Ashes thread on 11:31 - Aug 23 by johnhoop

For all that Archer and Broad bowled brilliantly yesterday the predictable disintegration yet again of our top order means we needed to get them out for less than 100 to stand any chance.

England bowled very poorly yesterday for a long period. They should have had the Aussies out for less than 100. Now we'll need to bat sensibly today for the whole day. I don't believe we can do that.
Ashes thread on 11:55 - Aug 23 with 1612 viewsHooparoo

You bloody beauty! 20-3. 😜

Ashes thread on 12:05 - Aug 23 with 1586 viewsNov77

Ashes thread on 16:56 - Aug 17 by Nov77

England’s top order is a shambles.

Bump, from the lords game, repeat ad nauseam !

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Ashes thread on 12:10 - Aug 23 with 1571 viewsjohnhoop

Ashes thread on 11:54 - Aug 23 by jonno

England bowled very poorly yesterday for a long period. They should have had the Aussies out for less than 100. Now we'll need to bat sensibly today for the whole day. I don't believe we can do that.

The contrast in terms of bowling accuracy is pretty stark. Archer and Broad were lethal but our change bowlers sprayed it around so much that we handed them about seventy runs on a plate. Their three quicks are constantly putting it in what Boycott refers to as the “ corridor of uncertainty “ and the movement off the seam is doing the rest. They’re just giving absolutely nothing away, which is the way it should be in test cricket.
Ashes thread on 12:16 - Aug 23 with 1557 viewsNov77

This is a masterclass in how to throw away the ashes

Ashes thread on 12:24 - Aug 23 with 1535 viewsjohnhoop

FFS. Stokes had to stretch to the absolute limit to play the waft that guided the ball to slip. After the last match I thought he was our last big hope. Did he think he was playing 20/20 or something?
Ashes thread on 12:24 - Aug 23 with 1531 viewsCamberleyR

Root can consider himself unfortunate, he got a good ball, the others have chucked their wickets away. Pathetic.

Ashes thread on 12:35 - Aug 23 with 1501 viewsWatford_Ranger

Ashes thread on 12:24 - Aug 23 by johnhoop

FFS. Stokes had to stretch to the absolute limit to play the waft that guided the ball to slip. After the last match I thought he was our last big hope. Did he think he was playing 20/20 or something?

Struggling to recall a worse wicket in Test cricket given the situation. Staggering. The penalty area Barbet kamikaze tackle of batting.
Ashes thread on 12:48 - Aug 23 with 1476 viewsCamberleyR

I'm struggling to recall a worse England top 6 in my lifetime.

Ashes thread on 12:48 - Aug 23 with 1474 viewsted_hendrix

Ashes thread on 11:54 - Aug 23 by jonno

"Now we'll need to bat sensibly today for the whole day"

LOL

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Ashes thread on 12:50 - Aug 23 with 1464 viewsCamberleyR

Ashes thread on 12:48 - Aug 23 by ted_hendrix

"Now we'll need to bat sensibly today for the whole day"

LOL

Batting sensibly for a session or even half of one would be a start.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024