Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Foreign languages for lockdown 09:53 - Apr 1 with 1637 viewsDorsetIan

I am trying (and mostly failing) to encourage my kids to try to use all this free time wisely and I am trying to get my youngest to learn a few French words every day so that he will have fair vocabulary by the end of the lockdown period.

Anyone else going to use this free time to learn another language? As a nation, I think we remain really poor at speaking other languages and I wonder how many on here speak another language or would like to?

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Foreign languages for lockdown on 15:12 - Apr 1 with 391 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Foreign languages for lockdown on 10:53 - Apr 1 by this_charming_man

I'd be interested in learning some tips too dirk! I've tried several times to learn Italian, am trying again, i'm okay in a lap top but as soon as i get in a conversation when there get completely lost.

The secret is immersion, determination and variety

If you are working / living abroad it is so much easier, but there are several things you can do to improve.

You can start with printing off key words, then key phrases and putting them on walls at home and work. If you then physically write down these words, and phrases and keep adding to them you will have a working list; especially if you keep discarding the ones that you feel you know. Then write down the phrases/ words you think you know in a diary, it's a great way to track your progress and knowledge.

You can work out phrases you want to say, then text them / email them to friends who also want to learn. The more friends you have who want to learn, the quicker you will learn.

There is nothing stopping you going to an Italian restaurant at home, and finding a friendly waiter who you can ask to talk to in Italian. Also, there are loads of Italians over here who are learning English, you just need to find and meet them regularly for a chat. As mentioned above, foreign children's books are great for learning as you can teach yourself and your kids.

Buy a lot of different phrase books, and always keep one in your pocket, so you keep looking at it when free. This means you will visually keep looking and learning all through the day, even at work. Keep changing the phrase books.

Watch films, especially ones with sub-titles, and try to translate your favourite songs into your chosen language. A great way to understand the accent issue is to watch a number of films, or listen to a foreign football match being commentated on. You quickly realise that some are so much easier than others. If you end up listening to someone from Sicily you will really struggle; avoid these for a while, it's almost like someone trying to learn English from a Glaswegian.

Opportunity is everything, you could even start a thread on here regularly stating some fact, nonsense or asking a question, and as long as people respond you are still learning.

Variety is key, you will only learn so much ordering food, or coffees, or speaking to the same type of people, or listening to the same tapes or doing the same thing.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2020 15:22]

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Foreign languages for lockdown on 19:14 - Apr 1 with 349 viewsHappy_Jack

Foreign languages for lockdown on 15:12 - Apr 1 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

If you are working / living abroad it is so much easier, but there are several things you can do to improve.

You can start with printing off key words, then key phrases and putting them on walls at home and work. If you then physically write down these words, and phrases and keep adding to them you will have a working list; especially if you keep discarding the ones that you feel you know. Then write down the phrases/ words you think you know in a diary, it's a great way to track your progress and knowledge.

You can work out phrases you want to say, then text them / email them to friends who also want to learn. The more friends you have who want to learn, the quicker you will learn.

There is nothing stopping you going to an Italian restaurant at home, and finding a friendly waiter who you can ask to talk to in Italian. Also, there are loads of Italians over here who are learning English, you just need to find and meet them regularly for a chat. As mentioned above, foreign children's books are great for learning as you can teach yourself and your kids.

Buy a lot of different phrase books, and always keep one in your pocket, so you keep looking at it when free. This means you will visually keep looking and learning all through the day, even at work. Keep changing the phrase books.

Watch films, especially ones with sub-titles, and try to translate your favourite songs into your chosen language. A great way to understand the accent issue is to watch a number of films, or listen to a foreign football match being commentated on. You quickly realise that some are so much easier than others. If you end up listening to someone from Sicily you will really struggle; avoid these for a while, it's almost like someone trying to learn English from a Glaswegian.

Opportunity is everything, you could even start a thread on here regularly stating some fact, nonsense or asking a question, and as long as people respond you are still learning.

Variety is key, you will only learn so much ordering food, or coffees, or speaking to the same type of people, or listening to the same tapes or doing the same thing.

You're right immersion is the key. I lived in Sweden for a year or so and like most Scandinavian countries most of them spoke very good English which made me a little lazy in learning to speak the language. The weird thing was though after about six months or so I could piece together enough when hearing them talk to understand what the conversation was about.

Millbrook Furnishing shop floor level banter
Poll: Who do you think the best Prime Minister of the last 40 years has been?

Foreign languages for lockdown on 19:40 - Apr 1 with 333 viewsthis_charming_man

Foreign languages for lockdown on 15:12 - Apr 1 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Good tips, duolingo says you only need 10 mins a day, it's obviously bollox as half of the ten minutes is correcting what i've learnt in the previous 10 minutes which i'd forgotten. I dont have a desire to be fluent, would just like to be able to hold a reasonable conversation. Watching films and learning songs is a good idea.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024