Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time to cancel this lockdown 15:46 - Apr 25 with 4086 viewsOccasional_Showers

It’s looking like a pointless exercise now as there won’t be a vaccine this year, so now the NHS is coping we might as well just get on with it. The cost to the economy is just too high to carry on as we are.

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 15:52 - Apr 25 with 2034 viewssaint22

Pal as long as there are morons in this world this virus will continue to run amok
I just went to the store, stood outside waiting my turn to enter as instructed and some tool just walks right by me and into the already full store
We can have as many measures in place as we want but idiots will ruin it for us all
Time to cancel this lockdown on 15:58 - Apr 25 with 2026 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 15:52 - Apr 25 by saint22

Pal as long as there are morons in this world this virus will continue to run amok
I just went to the store, stood outside waiting my turn to enter as instructed and some tool just walks right by me and into the already full store
We can have as many measures in place as we want but idiots will ruin it for us all

I’m getting fed up with it. Took the dog out recently to a local country park and coppers are parked up to make sure people don’t have a pic nic. It’s just bollocks. A family group sitting in the middle of a field having a few sandwiches and bit of fresh air - what is wrong with that? I think it’s got utterly ridiculous. Just lift this lockdown and let’s get on with it. More and more people are starting to ignore the restrictions anyway.
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 16:00]

Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:08 - Apr 25 with 2008 viewsVagina_Dentata

you can drink your weak lemon drink now.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:15 - Apr 25 with 1998 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:08 - Apr 25 by Vagina_Dentata

I don’t know what your point is but there won’t be a vaccine for at least 9 months. And I am actually sceptical there will be a vaccine. This virus is constantly mutating.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:31 - Apr 25 with 1985 viewshuelinsaint

Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:08 - Apr 25 by Vagina_Dentata

That's the right in a nutshell
Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:42 - Apr 25 with 1961 viewsSadoldgit

So you are more worried about the economy than a sky high mortality rate?
Time to cancel this lockdown on 17:30 - Apr 25 with 1909 viewsBicester_North

Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:42 - Apr 25 by Sadoldgit

Wouldn’t Sweden’s mortality rate be off the charts if lockdown was the only answer? It’s more down to the behaviour of people. The Swedes seem to be able to be trusted to act sensibly even when they have freedoms, in this country there are sadly just too many thick w@nkers who behave idiotically and selfishly.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Time to cancel this lockdown on 17:32 - Apr 25 with 1905 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 16:42 - Apr 25 by Sadoldgit

Yes I’m worried about the economy. For a retiree such as yourself it’s obviously of no concern to you. Also I don’t believe the mortality rate would be sky high. It would be higher of course, but the longer we stay shut down the more it will kill off because of poverty. Please don’t bore me with another of your dreary sermons in reply.

Login to get fewer ads

Time to cancel this lockdown on 17:33 - Apr 25 with 1894 viewsJaySaint

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 17:39 - Apr 25 with 1878 viewsSoton

Time to cancel this lockdown on 17:30 - Apr 25 by Bicester_North

Wouldn’t Sweden’s mortality rate be off the charts if lockdown was the only answer? It’s more down to the behaviour of people. The Swedes seem to be able to be trusted to act sensibly even when they have freedoms, in this country there are sadly just too many thick w@nkers who behave idiotically and selfishly.

The swedes already like having plenty of space when conversing, it’s always been a standing joke in Sweden that if you are standing closer then 2m you are a space invader
Time to cancel this lockdown on 17:43 - Apr 25 with 1862 viewshuelinsaint

Time to cancel this lockdown on 17:33 - Apr 25 by JaySaint

Sweden has 217 deaths per 1 million of the population, Neighbouring Norway only 35,If Britain had done what Sweden are doing there would have been carnage.
I thought you supported the government's policy on Covid 19,I thought they were doing a great job
Time to cancel this lockdown on 17:49 - Apr 25 with 1855 viewsOccasional_Showers

We don’t know if recovery from this virus gives us immunity, and if it does how long for. The virus is also constantly mutating so if you did become immune to this strain would you still be immune when it came around to you in a mutated form?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 17:50 - Apr 25 with 1854 viewsSadoldgit

Time to cancel this lockdown on 17:32 - Apr 25 by Occasional_Showers

Yes I’m worried about the economy. For a retiree such as yourself it’s obviously of no concern to you. Also I don’t believe the mortality rate would be sky high. It would be higher of course, but the longer we stay shut down the more it will kill off because of poverty. Please don’t bore me with another of your dreary sermons in reply.

Don’t worry, I won’t. Yes I am worried about the economy but the death rate shows no sign of falling off - over 20,000 now. I am more worried about it taking off again and the death rate heading for the 500,000 figure we were told before lockdown.
Time to cancel this lockdown on 22:26 - Apr 25 with 1684 viewsSaintsforeverj

Sweden has a much, much smaller population than the Uk. There is a much less population density than the UK too. The much smaller population means that they can cope and can get away with not locking down. The number of deaths per million is huge but because there are not many millions in the country, the death toll seems low, but it is not. It is like saying Torquay United have far less hooligans than Manchester United. They also have far less fans.

But the point about lockdown, well yes, we can't lock down until next January can we?
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 22:29]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 23:11 - Apr 25 with 1651 viewsBicester_North

Time to cancel this lockdown on 22:26 - Apr 25 by Saintsforeverj

Sweden has a much, much smaller population than the Uk. There is a much less population density than the UK too. The much smaller population means that they can cope and can get away with not locking down. The number of deaths per million is huge but because there are not many millions in the country, the death toll seems low, but it is not. It is like saying Torquay United have far less hooligans than Manchester United. They also have far less fans.

But the point about lockdown, well yes, we can't lock down until next January can we?
[Post edited 25 Apr 2020 22:29]

The whole deaths per million question is unfathomable.
In Most African countries and India its 1 in a million or less. The West European countries and USA are recording everything far more accurately than most of the rest of the world.
It almost seems like the higher the standard of living, the worse Coronavirus seems to be.
How is that possible? It doesn’t seem to add up.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 23:33 - Apr 25 with 1634 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 23:11 - Apr 25 by Bicester_North

The whole deaths per million question is unfathomable.
In Most African countries and India its 1 in a million or less. The West European countries and USA are recording everything far more accurately than most of the rest of the world.
It almost seems like the higher the standard of living, the worse Coronavirus seems to be.
How is that possible? It doesn’t seem to add up.

It might just be that Africa is behind by a month or two. It might be the hotter more humid weather. It might be that they have had TB jabs. It might be that they’ve had a.n.other jab we don’t get. It might be that they have a younger population. I think we can discount a genetic factor as those of black/Asian descent if anything seem to be doing worse than us in the UK.

Here’s another anomaly - Greece. Elderly population and high smoking rate, but a hot and humid country.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-23/how-greece-has-emerged-an-unlikely-success-s

Time to cancel this lockdown on 23:45 - Apr 25 with 1628 viewscocklebreath

Time to cancel this lockdown on 23:33 - Apr 25 by Occasional_Showers

It might just be that Africa is behind by a month or two. It might be the hotter more humid weather. It might be that they have had TB jabs. It might be that they’ve had a.n.other jab we don’t get. It might be that they have a younger population. I think we can discount a genetic factor as those of black/Asian descent if anything seem to be doing worse than us in the UK.

Here’s another anomaly - Greece. Elderly population and high smoking rate, but a hot and humid country.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-23/how-greece-has-emerged-an-unlikely-success-s

That is interesting, I think no one has any idea why certain people die and others don’t, proper Russian roulette virus

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 23:59 - Apr 25 with 1614 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 23:45 - Apr 25 by cocklebreath

That is interesting, I think no one has any idea why certain people die and others don’t, proper Russian roulette virus

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/smoking-rates-by-country/

The French have flagged up a link between nicotine and Corona being less severe. Just look at Greece’s smoking rate and it makes you wonder.

I might have to panic buy 200 JPS.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 0:05]

Time to cancel this lockdown on 00:07 - Apr 26 with 1601 viewsBicester_North

Time to cancel this lockdown on 23:59 - Apr 25 by Occasional_Showers

https://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/smoking-rates-by-country/

The French have flagged up a link between nicotine and Corona being less severe. Just look at Greece’s smoking rate and it makes you wonder.

I might have to panic buy 200 JPS.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 0:05]

But then Germany and Spain have about the same smoking rate and Spain had it miles worse.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:14 - Apr 26 with 1485 viewshuelinsaint

Greece is freezing in the winter,only vaguely mild on the coast
Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:35 - Apr 26 with 1459 viewsdirk_doone

No real anomaly: just strict lockdown and everybody wearing masks, the same as Taiwan, Hong Kong. Japan, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

The countries with the lowest percentage of mask wearers and the highest percentage of citizens demanding their right to do as they please are the ones with the highest death rates. Apart from that, the virus doesn't seem to fare so well in tropical countries.

Hong Kong is a perfect example. In spite of the fact it is part of China and it is one of the most densely populated urban areas in the world, out of a population of 7.5 million, it only ever had 4 coronavirus deaths and the last one of those was some time ago. It enforced a strict lockdown very early on and everybody wears masks. Its subtropical climate probably helps too. In contrast, Sweden, with a population of 10 million, which is far more sparsely populated but doesn't have a tropical climate, has suffered 2,192 deaths and the number is still rising.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 8:50]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:40 - Apr 26 with 1451 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:14 - Apr 26 by huelinsaint

Greece is freezing in the winter,only vaguely mild on the coast

All these theories probably carry some weight and cumulatively add up to an influence. However I believe the biggest factor in the disparity of cases/deaths is the timeline. I think this virus was circulating unchecked in Italy, Spain, the UK, the USA etc for 4, 8, 12 weeks before it was recognised. I know it’s anecdotal but I know of a man in his 50’s, overweight and smoked, who died at Christmas of pneumonia. I also have also heard an anecdotal account from a retired GP who had flu like nothing he’s seen before around the same time.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 8:41]

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:49 - Apr 26 with 1429 viewsOccasional_Showers

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:35 - Apr 26 by dirk_doone

No real anomaly: just strict lockdown and everybody wearing masks, the same as Taiwan, Hong Kong. Japan, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

The countries with the lowest percentage of mask wearers and the highest percentage of citizens demanding their right to do as they please are the ones with the highest death rates. Apart from that, the virus doesn't seem to fare so well in tropical countries.

Hong Kong is a perfect example. In spite of the fact it is part of China and it is one of the most densely populated urban areas in the world, out of a population of 7.5 million, it only ever had 4 coronavirus deaths and the last one of those was some time ago. It enforced a strict lockdown very early on and everybody wears masks. Its subtropical climate probably helps too. In contrast, Sweden, with a population of 10 million, which is far more sparsely populated but doesn't have a tropical climate, has suffered 2,192 deaths and the number is still rising.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 8:50]

I concede your point.

But what happens if and when the world re-opens and people from countries with a high level of herd immunity go on holiday to Greece where the population are virus virgins?

There is no guarantee we will find a vaccine.

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:55 - Apr 26 with 1416 viewsRednWight

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:49 - Apr 26 by Occasional_Showers

I concede your point.

But what happens if and when the world re-opens and people from countries with a high level of herd immunity go on holiday to Greece where the population are virus virgins?

I thought your hero had decided bleach or similar was the vaccine
I’m amazed you’ve not tried it

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:56 - Apr 26 with 1410 viewsdirk_doone

Time to cancel this lockdown on 08:49 - Apr 26 by Occasional_Showers

I concede your point.

Yes, we are all keeping our fingers crossed that there will be a vaccine. Until then, we can only look at what methods have proven most successful around the world, and wearing masks stands out by a mile.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024