Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m being asked to go fruit picking... 20:10 - Apr 26 with 798 viewsOccasional_Showers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52435332

It’d be a laugh but I’d probably eat more strawberries than I picked. One things for sure I won’t be rushing around like the Eastern European’s they exploit. The farmer will need about 3 of us to one EE to cover our tea breaks and lunch.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2020 20:11]

Poll: Did you break any lockdown rules?

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 20:17 - Apr 26 with 786 viewsOccasional_Showers

In all seriousness they should get students doing it, it’s ideal work for someone of that age. I’d need a little stool to sit on to as I poddled along the strawberry row because of my back.

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 22:00 - Apr 26 with 721 viewsdirk_doone

Farmers & market gardeners in this country were so short of workers that they paid for special flights from Eastern Europe just to bring them in. As I thank our Polish bin men for collecting our rubbish, which I always do when I see them, I just hope the new immigration rules won't force them all out of the country.

As for our care homes, they will really struggle to replace them. I guess the government thinks they can bring in even cheaper labour from Commonwealth countries in the Caribbean, West Asia and Africa, like they did in the 50s and 60s and maybe they can: we'll see.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 7:18]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 22:19 - Apr 26 with 693 viewsMr_Happy

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 22:00 - Apr 26 by dirk_doone

Farmers & market gardeners in this country were so short of workers that they paid for special flights from Eastern Europe just to bring them in. As I thank our Polish bin men for collecting our rubbish, which I always do when I see them, I just hope the new immigration rules won't force them all out of the country.

As for our care homes, they will really struggle to replace them. I guess the government thinks they can bring in even cheaper labour from Commonwealth countries in the Caribbean, West Asia and Africa, like they did in the 50s and 60s and maybe they can: we'll see.

Brexiteers are just going to love that, more black faces, it's the main reason we quit the commonwealth.

Mr Cheerful Pfft.

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 22:21 - Apr 26 with 691 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 22:00 - Apr 26 by dirk_doone

Sorry, that isn't true (1st line). They had a fruit farmer on the news last week saying they had about 700 applicants from UK citizens for labour, but they don't want only UK labour as "when lockdown ends they'll go back to their normal jobs, so we need the labour from abroad".

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 22:27 - Apr 26 with 685 viewsdirk_doone

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 22:21 - Apr 26 by Gennaro_Contaldo

Sorry, that isn't true (1st line). They had a fruit farmer on the news last week saying they had about 700 applicants from UK citizens for labour, but they don't want only UK labour as "when lockdown ends they'll go back to their normal jobs, so we need the labour from abroad".

Seriously, Gennaro, do you really believe what you've just written? Farmers paying for special flights when they have less money available now than they've ever had before are clearly desperate.

"Last year, 98% of fruit pickers, now classed as ‘key workers,’ came from outside the UK."

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/30/coronavirus-farm-work-uk-jobs-fruit-vegetables-fo
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 7:35]

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 22:52 - Apr 26 with 645 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 22:27 - Apr 26 by dirk_doone

Seriously, Gennaro, do you really believe what you've just written? Farmers paying for special flights when they have less money available now than they've ever had before are clearly desperate.

"Last year, 98% of fruit pickers, now classed as ‘key workers,’ came from outside the UK."

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/30/coronavirus-farm-work-uk-jobs-fruit-vegetables-fo
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 7:35]

I'm just reporting what a fruit farmer on the news said (on the BBC, last week) to justify the foreign labour. I didn't say it, she did.

She said the season goes on until October, so they need the foreign pickers who'll still be here. Daytime BBC news.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 23:04 - Apr 26 with 637 viewsSadoldgit

Also on that report it was said that they are very experienced. They come over every year and don’t need any training, they just crack on and do the job and then go home. Apparently it is not as straightforward as it sounds.
I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 23:11 - Apr 26 with 632 viewsdirk_doone

"Farmers say the pandemic has restricted the availability of foreign workers and have complained they cannot recruit enough domestic labour." BBC Business News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52435332
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 8:44]

Login to get fewer ads

I’m being asked to go fruit picking... on 00:08 - Apr 27 with 601 viewsOccasional_Showers

They want the foreign workers because they can house them into dilapidated caravans on their farms and make them work from dawn til dusk like robots. An English worker on the other hand isn’t going to be treated like a slave.

They are “experienced” in working flat out with few breaks, that’s what the farmer was thinking when he came out with that BS remark about them being skilled workers. I’ve been on these farms and seen where they put these foreign workers and you wouldn’t want to put an animal into the so called accommodation that farmers provide. Of course they want them picking the fruit, it means they can buy themselves a new Range Rover to swan around in.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2020 0:24]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024