Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Greatest Generation 10:08 - May 7 with 417 viewsJaySaint

I have been watching this the last few nights and what a remarkable bunch of people.

I feel embarrassed that as a nation, we have to be told about the wonderful sacrifice we are making - for just staying at home and watching telly/making tik toks et al, whilst almost the entire country is being paid to do so.

I will feel extremely sad when the last serviceman/woman from WW2 passes.
Heroes - the lot of them!
[Post edited 7 May 2020 10:08]

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

The Greatest Generation on 10:14 - May 7 with 402 viewsthis_charming_man

I wonder if there were people in air raid shelters carrying copies of the left wing media desperately pointing out articles showing what a mess the government were making of WW2?

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

The Greatest Generation on 10:26 - May 7 with 395 viewsSadoldgit

Both of my grandads passed away before I was born through illnesses contracted in WW1 so I never got to know them sadly. My grandmothers lived to ripe old ages though but they never spoke about the war. My mum was one of 11 and her and her brothers and sisters lived through the blitz, mostly in South London, and rarely spoke about their wartime experiences. You can’t imagine the relief they must have felt when it was finally all over. Our family were fortunate and came through mostly unscathed. An aunt lost her husband who was a Spitfire pilot. He crashed into another plane returning from a sortie apparently. My uncles and aunts were mostly too you to serve. An uncle on my Dads side of the family served in the 8th Army in Italy but again never spoke about his experiences. When I was born, 9 years after the war, there was still sugar rationing. When I grew up I used to play on old bomb sites. Life didn’t just go back to normal overnight, it took years. My mum lived to 84 and to her last days would not throw anything away if she could find a use for it - a result of the make do and mend mentality. We think we have it tough at the moment but hopefully we will never know what these amazing people had to endure. Captain Tom has encapsulated that whole period so brilliantly which is why the nation have made him a national hero. Friday will be an emotional day.
The Greatest Generation on 10:46 - May 7 with 364 viewsSadoldgit

The Greatest Generation on 10:14 - May 7 by this_charming_man

I wonder if there were people in air raid shelters carrying copies of the left wing media desperately pointing out articles showing what a mess the government were making of WW2?

If people were sent off to fight without guns or ammunition, do you think it would have been reported on? Well done in politicising another thread though.
The Greatest Generation on 11:36 - May 7 with 346 viewsRednWight

The Greatest Generation on 10:14 - May 7 by this_charming_man

Probably too busy trying to destroy fascism

The older I get the better I was
Poll: Cortese. Would we have him back

The Greatest Generation on 11:40 - May 7 with 341 viewssolent_toffee

The Greatest Generation on 10:26 - May 7 by Sadoldgit

Both of my grandads passed away before I was born through illnesses contracted in WW1 so I never got to know them sadly. My grandmothers lived to ripe old ages though but they never spoke about the war. My mum was one of 11 and her and her brothers and sisters lived through the blitz, mostly in South London, and rarely spoke about their wartime experiences. You can’t imagine the relief they must have felt when it was finally all over. Our family were fortunate and came through mostly unscathed. An aunt lost her husband who was a Spitfire pilot. He crashed into another plane returning from a sortie apparently. My uncles and aunts were mostly too you to serve. An uncle on my Dads side of the family served in the 8th Army in Italy but again never spoke about his experiences. When I was born, 9 years after the war, there was still sugar rationing. When I grew up I used to play on old bomb sites. Life didn’t just go back to normal overnight, it took years. My mum lived to 84 and to her last days would not throw anything away if she could find a use for it - a result of the make do and mend mentality. We think we have it tough at the moment but hopefully we will never know what these amazing people had to endure. Captain Tom has encapsulated that whole period so brilliantly which is why the nation have made him a national hero. Friday will be an emotional day.

Both my parents were regularly bombed during world War 2 but never really spoke about it, both were around nine when the war ended. It’s hard to think how people coped at the time and afterwards other than to be humbled by the incredible strength and resilience they must have had.

In this current situation there are no doubt there are going to be families who are struggling and who were struggling beforehand due to circumstances, but for the vast majority this lockdown is a complete doddle compared to what our families have gone through.
The Greatest Generation on 12:08 - May 7 with 328 viewsthis_charming_man

The Greatest Generation on 11:40 - May 7 by solent_toffee

Both my parents were regularly bombed during world War 2 but never really spoke about it, both were around nine when the war ended. It’s hard to think how people coped at the time and afterwards other than to be humbled by the incredible strength and resilience they must have had.

In this current situation there are no doubt there are going to be families who are struggling and who were struggling beforehand due to circumstances, but for the vast majority this lockdown is a complete doddle compared to what our families have gone through.

In the wars you had lads queuing up to fight for their country, these days you've got lads crying on social media because they cant go to the pub.

TUIs only reliable source of ITk news. #bewareoffalseprophets
Poll: Who hates the tories the most?

The Greatest Generation on 16:04 - May 7 with 275 viewsSadoldgit

Still at least they gave their lives so we can spout shite on mongboards all day long.

Everything is relative. In the First World War lots of shell shocked men we shot by their own comrades for cowardice. Now we know more about mental illness perhaps we should be more tolerant of other’s struggles?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024