Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One For Solent Toffee 22:14 - May 12 with 595 viewsSaintNick

The Liverpool Echo did a story today on the meaning of the place name in Liverpool this was the origin of Everton, dont shoot the messenger

Everton comes from a word meaning either “pig enclosure” or “Eofor’s enclosure”, from the Old English word “eofor” for a domestic pig or the first name “Eofor”.

It was once called “Euretone”, but had become “Evretona” by 1094.

The area was known for cattle-grazing and the farmland was handed between various elites before it was declared an independent area in the 17th century and the land was gradually sold off to local people.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

One For Solent Toffee on 06:51 - May 13 with 512 viewssolent_toffee

Interesting stuff, to be fair Everton kept the ‘pig enclosure’ in their first proper ground but then left Anfield in 1892. Liverpool, ever the traditionalists, maintained this, called it the Kop and have had pigs going there ever since.

One For Solent Toffee on 08:27 - May 13 with 478 viewsSaintNick

One For Solent Toffee on 06:51 - May 13 by solent_toffee

Interesting stuff, to be fair Everton kept the ‘pig enclosure’ in their first proper ground but then left Anfield in 1892. Liverpool, ever the traditionalists, maintained this, called it the Kop and have had pigs going there ever since.

Very good reply lol

I wasnt being funny with this post, i never knew the origins of the name before I saw this yesterday, so thought you might be interested and I would be telling Porkies if I said it didn't make me laugh.

One For Solent Toffee on 08:51 - May 13 with 461 viewssolent_toffee

One For Solent Toffee on 08:27 - May 13 by SaintNick

Very good reply lol

I wasnt being funny with this post, i never knew the origins of the name before I saw this yesterday, so thought you might be interested and I would be telling Porkies if I said it didn't make me laugh.

I was going to say something about the regulars at Great Homer Street market, but thought best to leave that one alone!
One For Solent Toffee on 12:27 - May 13 with 415 viewsSaintNick

One For Solent Toffee on 08:51 - May 13 by solent_toffee

I was going to say something about the regulars at Great Homer Street market, but thought best to leave that one alone!

Probably best lol

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024