Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chair 21:19 - Jun 22 with 8604 viewsGloucs_R

What's everyone's thoughts on him?

Is he the natural replacement for Eze?

Plenty of talent, just not sure what his ideal position is but I don't think it's on the wing.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Chair on 10:31 - Aug 31 with 2293 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Chair on 10:25 - Aug 31 by bosh67

Interesting that you say number 8 Brian because every so often his movement on the ball reminds me of Francis. No saying he is in the same league, literally at the moment, but he does seem to have that touch and ability to run at defences. He's particularly effective for me down the middle in the final third of the pitch. He seems to make a lot of space outside the area and be able to set things in motion or take them on himself.

Talent wise he's got bags of it. He rarely loses the ball or possession and his lack of height is compensated with plenty of strength and that low centre of gravity. It could be that he could be a 10 in behind the likes of Dykes or an 8 bringing the ball in the last third forward.

I agree with all of that, Bosh.

If he were to play 10 I think a roaming brief would suit him rather than a Tony Cottee poacher-type 10. As you say, Chair does great work outside the box.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Chair on 12:06 - Aug 31 with 2176 viewsNorthantsHoop

He needs a more central role, number 10 that can busy himself behind the centre forward. I also want to see him pick up the ball from much deeper positions and drive forward. From Saturday's Oxford game he will not flourish out wide, wasted on him. Anybody old enough remember Alan Ball a midfield dynamo for Everton, Arsenal and Southampton, similar size to Chair and he was a great link up player and very skillful. This is the sort of player Chair needs to develop into.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2020 12:07]
Chair on 12:54 - Aug 31 with 2108 viewsAntti_Heinola

Chair on 12:06 - Aug 31 by NorthantsHoop

He needs a more central role, number 10 that can busy himself behind the centre forward. I also want to see him pick up the ball from much deeper positions and drive forward. From Saturday's Oxford game he will not flourish out wide, wasted on him. Anybody old enough remember Alan Ball a midfield dynamo for Everton, Arsenal and Southampton, similar size to Chair and he was a great link up player and very skillful. This is the sort of player Chair needs to develop into.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2020 12:07]

Bally was incredible. You read any book by someone who's played with him and they say he was the best they played with. Particularly one touch, in fact, he was so good at one-touch that he nicknamed himself 'Arfur'.*

Not sure Chair is like Ball though, but agree he's a number 10. To be fair, Warbs generally played him centrally most of last season, and it was Eze who moved wider to accommodate him.

*As in, he only needed half-a-touch.

Bare bones.

Chair on 14:02 - Aug 31 with 2014 views18StoneOfHoop

Chair on 12:54 - Aug 31 by Antti_Heinola

Bally was incredible. You read any book by someone who's played with him and they say he was the best they played with. Particularly one touch, in fact, he was so good at one-touch that he nicknamed himself 'Arfur'.*

Not sure Chair is like Ball though, but agree he's a number 10. To be fair, Warbs generally played him centrally most of last season, and it was Eze who moved wider to accommodate him.

Battle of the 8's HIghbury October 1974
Gerry makes Bally look ordinary.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Chair (n/t) on 14:19 - Aug 31 with 1981 views18StoneOfHoop

Chair on 12:54 - Aug 31 by Antti_Heinola

[Post edited 31 Aug 2020 14:21]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Chair on 14:52 - Aug 31 with 1939 viewsfrancisbowles

Chair on 14:02 - Aug 31 by 18StoneOfHoop

Battle of the 8's HIghbury October 1974
Gerry makes Bally look ordinary.

Enjoyed that, haven't seen it in a while.
Chair on 14:52 - Aug 31 with 1932 viewstimcocking

He's clearly got some ability, but how much remains to be seen. Verdict on his ceiling still open i'd suggest.

Fingers crossed.
Chair on 16:56 - Sep 2 with 1749 viewsnumptydumpty

Its a big big season for Ilias

If he is going to be going onto bigger and better things a la Eze this is his time

To start with, he could well be an automatic starter but a poor run of form could see him benched

He looks a tidy player but needs more end product now
I am yet to be completely convinced as yet but obviously would be delighted if he could blossom. Fingers crossed this season he kicks on and with more responsiility lets hope he can step up and produce

Definitely make or break season for Chair....Best luck to the man

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Login to get fewer ads

Chair on 18:25 - Sep 2 with 1630 viewsBrazilNutR

was expecting more long range wonder goals, which seemed to be his speciality when he was on loan, needs to be central and get into shooting positions.
I think he has already been very good, like watching him, doesn't lose the ball and is a hard worker... Expecting a big season for him this year..
Chair on 18:40 - Sep 2 with 1600 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Chair on 18:25 - Sep 2 by BrazilNutR

was expecting more long range wonder goals, which seemed to be his speciality when he was on loan, needs to be central and get into shooting positions.
I think he has already been very good, like watching him, doesn't lose the ball and is a hard worker... Expecting a big season for him this year..

He came close a few times.

He has a 1 to 5 goal/appearance ratio which is pretty good considering he came on as a sub most of the time.

If he’s going start more, I expect he’ll score more.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 18:41]
Chair on 19:28 - Sep 2 with 1520 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Chair on 18:40 - Sep 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

He came close a few times.

He has a 1 to 5 goal/appearance ratio which is pretty good considering he came on as a sub most of the time.

If he’s going start more, I expect he’ll score more.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 18:41]

I think he's taken a little while to adapt to the pace of the championship and also asked to play out of position a lot last season. I think he's a terrific player and looking forward to seeing how he develops. It's a real shame that much of it is likely to be via stream.

I actually think Chair's one player that might benefit from Eze leaving. Although if BOS and Manning go too and adequate players are not brought through/in - then he is our main attacking threat/creative force. I think he/we may struggle as I'm not convinced he has it in him to carry a team at this level. Not yet at least.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Chair on 19:57 - Sep 2 with 1474 viewsCiderwithRsie

Chair on 19:28 - Sep 2 by CliveWilsonSaid

I think he's taken a little while to adapt to the pace of the championship and also asked to play out of position a lot last season. I think he's a terrific player and looking forward to seeing how he develops. It's a real shame that much of it is likely to be via stream.

I actually think Chair's one player that might benefit from Eze leaving. Although if BOS and Manning go too and adequate players are not brought through/in - then he is our main attacking threat/creative force. I think he/we may struggle as I'm not convinced he has it in him to carry a team at this level. Not yet at least.

I'm hoping for good things from him but ti may be counter-productive to build him up as Eze's replacement. Big burden on a young lad and sets him up for whinging if he's "only" quite good.

Really we need three or four players to fill the goals gap from Eze/Hugill/Wells. Dykes needs to do well for us, BOS is almost a senior player if he stays, if not Smyth presumably gets his chance, maybe Shodipo. Thomas looks really promising. Amos has had a lot of trust put in him.

We need that whole group of attacking players to gel and for most of them to have good games most of the time - if they do I'm sure Chair'll be fine. I don't think any of them are ready yet to have a whole team built around them in the way that arguably Eze was.
Chair on 20:16 - Sep 2 with 1439 viewsHastings_Hoops

Chair on 18:25 - Sep 2 by BrazilNutR

He got one against Wimbledon albeit a friendly - a sign of what’s to come
Chair on 20:39 - Sep 2 with 1397 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Don't forget Warburton and Ramsay's comments about protecting young players as they go through a full season.

Making sure that if they do drop out of form, management will take them out of the team to ensure they get the rest they need
Chair on 20:45 - Sep 2 with 1388 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Chair on 19:57 - Sep 2 by CiderwithRsie

I'm hoping for good things from him but ti may be counter-productive to build him up as Eze's replacement. Big burden on a young lad and sets him up for whinging if he's "only" quite good.

Really we need three or four players to fill the goals gap from Eze/Hugill/Wells. Dykes needs to do well for us, BOS is almost a senior player if he stays, if not Smyth presumably gets his chance, maybe Shodipo. Thomas looks really promising. Amos has had a lot of trust put in him.

We need that whole group of attacking players to gel and for most of them to have good games most of the time - if they do I'm sure Chair'll be fine. I don't think any of them are ready yet to have a whole team built around them in the way that arguably Eze was.

No definitely don't bill him as an Eze replacement agreed but he should have more freedom now he's gone. In the same way Eze had more freedom when Freeman went. Depends on who's around him of course. I'm not convinced Smyth, Shodipo and Thomas are the answer. All decent squad players if fit but not first choice players for me.

Amos, well the jury's out with him. Potentially good but needs to prove himself and I think he knows it. He might actually benefit from behind closed doors as less pressure.

If BOS and Manning go then we really need to bring in players but I'm sure the club are aware and don't need me to tell them that

Chair on 21:18 - Sep 2 with 1340 viewsAntti_Heinola

Chair on 20:45 - Sep 2 by CliveWilsonSaid

No definitely don't bill him as an Eze replacement agreed but he should have more freedom now he's gone. In the same way Eze had more freedom when Freeman went. Depends on who's around him of course. I'm not convinced Smyth, Shodipo and Thomas are the answer. All decent squad players if fit but not first choice players for me.

Amos, well the jury's out with him. Potentially good but needs to prove himself and I think he knows it. He might actually benefit from behind closed doors as less pressure.

If BOS and Manning go then we really need to bring in players but I'm sure the club are aware and don't need me to tell them that

Blimey - how much have you seen of Thomas mate?!

Bare bones.

Chair on 21:25 - Sep 2 with 1324 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Chair on 21:18 - Sep 2 by Antti_Heinola

Blimey - how much have you seen of Thomas mate?!

Nothing mate. I hope he does well of course and not writing him off at all but he's totally unproven surely?

Chair on 21:54 - Sep 2 with 1276 viewsMyke

Chair on 20:45 - Sep 2 by CliveWilsonSaid

The only thing holding Shodipo back is injury not ability. The only thing holding Amos back is the psychological barrier that comes with a serious injury - you only have to listen to people who saw him pre -ACL injury to know that. Smyth and Thomas are unproven at this level, but both are hard workers, which is a very significant ingredient when trying to catch the managers eye. . I think if (when) BOS leaves Shodipo/Thomas/Smyth will be retained, but if he signs a new contract two out three will be loaned out.
Chair on 23:03 - Sep 2 with 1204 viewsCiderwithRsie

Chair on 21:54 - Sep 2 by Myke

The only thing holding Shodipo back is injury not ability. The only thing holding Amos back is the psychological barrier that comes with a serious injury - you only have to listen to people who saw him pre -ACL injury to know that. Smyth and Thomas are unproven at this level, but both are hard workers, which is a very significant ingredient when trying to catch the managers eye. . I think if (when) BOS leaves Shodipo/Thomas/Smyth will be retained, but if he signs a new contract two out three will be loaned out.

Agreed.

I think we have an exciting group of players with loads of potential, and the possibility is there for the group as a whole to be better than the Eze/BOS-based combo of last season, as more of them are getting to that break-through stage than we had last (this) year.

But it's all just potential right now. Fingers crossed.
Chair on 23:54 - Sep 2 with 1165 viewsQPROslo

He was mainly ineffective last season for me. Hope he comes on this season. Probably best played central midfield, where I imagine he will be competing for a place with Amos, and possibly Carroll.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2020 0:02]
Chair on 07:28 - Sep 3 with 1080 viewsjoolsyp

Chair on 14:52 - Aug 31 by francisbowles

Enjoyed that, haven't seen it in a while.

That was a really enjoyable game, thanks for posting. Don Rogers though - what a disappointment!
Chair on 11:16 - Sep 3 with 971 viewsAntti_Heinola

Chair on 21:25 - Sep 2 by CliveWilsonSaid

Nothing mate. I hope he does well of course and not writing him off at all but he's totally unproven surely?

Oh he's unproven, but you said
'All decent squad players if fit but not first choice players for me.'

There's a difference between 'unproven' and not a first choice player!

I think Warbs is very, very good at turning 'squad' players into important first team players.

Bare bones.

Chair on 11:43 - Sep 3 with 929 viewsQPR_John

Chair on 23:54 - Sep 2 by QPROslo

He was mainly ineffective last season for me. Hope he comes on this season. Probably best played central midfield, where I imagine he will be competing for a place with Amos, and possibly Carroll.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2020 0:02]

"He was mainly ineffective last season for me". Well we all have opinions but I cannot see how you arrived at that.
Chair on 12:06 - Sep 3 with 884 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Chair on 11:16 - Sep 3 by Antti_Heinola

Oh he's unproven, but you said
'All decent squad players if fit but not first choice players for me.'

There's a difference between 'unproven' and not a first choice player!

I think Warbs is very, very good at turning 'squad' players into important first team players.

To be honest ‘mate’.

I was just a bit bored yesterday so came on here and had a bit of a babble about football. I don’t pretend to be an authority on the subject or anything else for that matter. I don’t think I posted anything remotely ‘offensive’ or ‘controversial’ so wasn’t expecting my ‘words’ to be picked apart. However, here we are...

I only commented on George Thomas and the others because somebody else mentioned them earlier. I wouldn’t expect in most ‘normal’ years for us to be going into a 46 game season pinning our hopes on players like those mentioned. If that turns out to be the case then they’ll get my support and I can’t wait until we’re allowed back in to watch them and hopefully ‘tear it up’. However I expect there to be more signings especially if there are more sales. That’s all I was really saying.

Chair on 13:29 - Sep 3 with 821 viewsQPROslo

Chair on 11:43 - Sep 3 by QPR_John

"He was mainly ineffective last season for me". Well we all have opinions but I cannot see how you arrived at that.

He didn't score the goals or provide the assists that I had hoped for following his performances at Stevenage. Seemed to struggle making the step up to the Championship to me. But he's young and still developing so no big surprise. I hope he improves this coming season for his career progression, and because with Eze gone we need a playmaker. Not sure he is up to it, and we won't need to bring in someone else in that role, but hope he can take the step up. Perhaps as others have said, with Eze gone it will help him, as it probably helped Eze last season that Freeman had left.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024