Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
O'Connell club captain 13:09 - Aug 21 with 3969 viewsisitme

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/eoghanoconnell_clubcaptain/

Really good choice.
O'Connell club captain on 13:23 - Aug 21 with 3901 viewsD_Alien

Agree, and takes after BBM with his quiet authority, no wailing or balling people out

First name on the teamsheet, too

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

O'Connell club captain on 14:19 - Aug 21 with 3722 viewsDaleiLama

Our best acquisition in a long time. Bar none.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

O'Connell club captain on 16:03 - Aug 21 with 3488 viewsboromat

Apart from an injury he's the player most likely to play every game.

Good choice I think. The other options are already leaders in their own right without being named captain like Jim and McShane.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

O'Connell club captain on 20:35 - Aug 21 with 3158 viewsChockers1

O'Connell club captain on 16:03 - Aug 21 by boromat

Apart from an injury he's the player most likely to play every game.

Good choice I think. The other options are already leaders in their own right without being named captain like Jim and McShane.

top choice of skipper, cool, calm an pretty much the best player on the park
O'Connell club captain on 22:30 - Aug 21 with 3025 viewsoddjob007

Love this article. Altho makes you wonder where these “captains” were when we were struggling last season.

Perversely they could be stronger voices with the loss of the likes of Hendo, Calvin, Wilbraham !?

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/bbm_onoconnellcaptaincy/
O'Connell club captain on 22:49 - Aug 21 with 2993 viewsnordenblue

O'Connell club captain on 22:30 - Aug 21 by oddjob007

Love this article. Altho makes you wonder where these “captains” were when we were struggling last season.

Perversely they could be stronger voices with the loss of the likes of Hendo, Calvin, Wilbraham !?

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2020/august/bbm_onoconnellcaptaincy/

Not just saying this now he's gone, but I never really saw or rated Hendo as a captain,far too quiet on the pitch and very rarely saw him pulling anyone to one side for a chat or organisation wise,he seemed to love the spotlight of it all,leading the team out etc but during the match I saw very little of a captains performance.
O'Connell club captain on 09:31 - Aug 22 with 2842 viewsDaleiLama

O'Connell club captain on 22:49 - Aug 21 by nordenblue

Not just saying this now he's gone, but I never really saw or rated Hendo as a captain,far too quiet on the pitch and very rarely saw him pulling anyone to one side for a chat or organisation wise,he seemed to love the spotlight of it all,leading the team out etc but during the match I saw very little of a captains performance.

I would add he lead by example with his work rate but not always with his discipline. Otherwise bang on for me.

O'Connell club captain on 09:53 - Aug 22 with 2822 views1907

O'Connell club captain on 22:49 - Aug 21 by nordenblue

Hendo was a fantastic player and goal scorer, but never a captain.

I like my captains to be like Jonah, forget how many times he single handedly dragged us back into games. A real leader.
Login to get fewer ads

O'Connell club captain on 11:05 - Aug 22 with 2709 viewsnordenblue

O'Connell club captain on 09:31 - Aug 22 by DaleiLama

I would add he lead by example with his work rate but not always with his discipline. Otherwise bang on for me.

Id expect a captain to do more than just run around a lot DL,to me thats a minimum requirement to being a professional footballer,George Donnelly did plenty of that... just don't think Hendo is/was anywhere near vocal enough considering his experience etc for a captain.
O'Connell club captain on 11:56 - Aug 22 with 2632 viewsD_Alien

O'Connell club captain on 11:05 - Aug 22 by nordenblue

Id expect a captain to do more than just run around a lot DL,to me thats a minimum requirement to being a professional footballer,George Donnelly did plenty of that... just don't think Hendo is/was anywhere near vocal enough considering his experience etc for a captain.

I agree about the captaincy, but not because he wasn't vocal enough

I just didn't think he was a captain - full stop > .

Great player for us, of course

O'Connell club captain on 12:08 - Aug 22 with 2608 viewsJames1980

O'Connell club captain on 11:56 - Aug 22 by D_Alien

I agree about the captaincy, but not because he wasn't vocal enough

I just didn't think he was a captain - full stop > .

Great player for us, of course

Why do you think Hill selected him as Captain?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

O'Connell club captain on 12:31 - Aug 22 with 2590 viewsDaleiLama

O'Connell club captain on 11:05 - Aug 22 by nordenblue

No arguments here. Everything you posted is spot on. Great pro but not a leader of men. Hope EOC makes the role his own and becomes a great captain.

O'Connell club captain on 12:35 - Aug 22 with 2575 viewsfunkkk

O'Connell club captain on 12:08 - Aug 22 by James1980

To keep him happy as he knew he was by far and away our best player?
O'Connell club captain on 13:05 - Aug 22 with 2529 viewsD_Alien

O'Connell club captain on 12:08 - Aug 22 by James1980

It's a perfectly fair question

funkk has already supplied part of the answer. I think they probably also saw "eye to eye". Both had a propensity for going off on one (yeah, pot/kettle etc.) and Hendo may have acted as an intermediary behind the scenes between manager and less-experienced players

It's just that when it came to pushing the team forward during games when we were up against it (which happened increasingly in the last couple of seasons under Hill), unless he was able to pull something out of the bag himself he appeared to become increasingly isolated up front from where the action was happening. He sometimes wandered into midfield areas, perhaps to try and influence things, but just ended up getting in the way

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024