Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain 10:26 - Sep 1 with 19364 viewsdirk_doone

This topic seems to be discussed on here a lot by our obsessed visitor from Little Pompey so here are all the main lists that take a range of criteria into account.

Talksport give a very balanced, objective view, taking a range of criteria into account:

https://talksport.com/football/320299/top-30-biggest-football-clubs-britain-30-n

An alternative list from 1Sports1, also taking a range of criteria into account:

https://www.1sports1.com/biggest-football-clubs-in-the-uk/

Football database ranking:

https://footballdatabase.com/ranking/england/1

World Soccer's Big Club Survey results, again using a range of criteria:

https://www.worldsoccer.com/news/makes-big-club-408679

The Big Club Survey: How we did it:

https://blog.betway.com/football/the-big-club-survey-how-we-did-it/

[Post edited 1 Sep 2020 11:21]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:23 - Sep 9 with 1436 viewsBison

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:08 - Sep 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

"now with millions around the globe eagerly hoovering the news coming out of St Mary's"

You should get a job script-writing for our finest comedians. That is the funniest thing I have read this week.

Why ? Can't you count ?

Over 1,200,000 Twitter followers alone not to mention all the other platforms the Saints issue information on.

Catch up pops. It's the 21st century not the 1950's.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:26 - Sep 9 with 1424 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:23 - Sep 9 by Bison

Why ? Can't you count ?

Over 1,200,000 Twitter followers alone not to mention all the other platforms the Saints issue information on.

Catch up pops. It's the 21st century not the 1950's.

So, does a million make 'millions', or would you need more than one million?

Poll: Is Southampton FC a big club. Where do they rank?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:41 - Sep 9 with 1419 viewsBison

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:26 - Sep 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

So, does a million make 'millions', or would you need more than one million?

Of course , the worlds a big place and with premiership games broadcast around almost every country on the globe the numbers watching Saints will be huge.

Come Saturday at 15.00 BST ( not sure your time zone ) just google Palace V Saints and find one of the many streams and join the army of Saints fans who will be tuning in. After the dross you are used to you might find it very entertaining .

Did you know the current manager of the month is no other than Ralph , the Saints Manager.

Perhaps you could give us your opinion on the game next week ?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:55 - Sep 9 with 1403 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:41 - Sep 9 by Bison

Of course , the worlds a big place and with premiership games broadcast around almost every country on the globe the numbers watching Saints will be huge.

Come Saturday at 15.00 BST ( not sure your time zone ) just google Palace V Saints and find one of the many streams and join the army of Saints fans who will be tuning in. After the dross you are used to you might find it very entertaining .

Did you know the current manager of the month is no other than Ralph , the Saints Manager.

Perhaps you could give us your opinion on the game next week ?

But despite all those years in the PL, Pompey had a higher number in the Pointless TV quiz recently where teams with the initials 'P.L.A.Y.E.R.S' were the subject of the question.

This is a national quiz, with serious research.

Why did Soton have a lower number?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:35 - Sep 9 with 1387 viewsBison

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:55 - Sep 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

But despite all those years in the PL, Pompey had a higher number in the Pointless TV quiz recently where teams with the initials 'P.L.A.Y.E.R.S' were the subject of the question.

I've never heard of this program so had to look it up.

I see it's aired around 5-6pm when most hard working people are still at or travelling home from work like myself. I presume it's watched by lazy dole claiming wastes of space or pensioners who remember the 1950's..... oh look I've just described the inhabitants of port sea island , so there you have it , the results were probabally over biased by your lot.

Pointless , bit like your club , oh the irony.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:37 - Sep 9 with 1385 viewsButty101

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:55 - Sep 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

God this is serious stuff. Can you back this up with Hard evidence. In the past this is usually the moment you unravel. Think shearer for example

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:15 - Sep 9 with 1361 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:37 - Sep 9 by Butty101

God this is serious stuff. Can you back this up with Hard evidence. In the past this is usually the moment you unravel. Think shearer for example

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1112009/Pointless-Richard-Osman-plea-

You'll have to find the rest. Pompey's score was in the fifites

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:28 - Sep 9 with 1364 viewsButty101

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:15 - Sep 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1112009/Pointless-Richard-Osman-plea-

You'll have to find the rest. Pompey's score was in the fifites

So once again no proof........

Login to get fewer ads

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:48 - Sep 9 with 1346 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:28 - Sep 9 by Butty101

So once again no proof........

So, apart from the fact that there was a pointless quiz question about football teams, also with the letter P LA Y E R S in it, and that your club were in the twenties, that is not enough info for you.

They are not going to have all the questions on youtube are they? The only reason this humiliating question is shown here is the Bournemouth comment.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 14:41 - Sep 9 with 1342 viewsButty101

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:48 - Sep 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

So, apart from the fact that there was a pointless quiz question about football teams, also with the letter P LA Y E R S in it, and that your club were in the twenties, that is not enough info for you.

They are not going to have all the questions on youtube are they? The only reason this humiliating question is shown here is the Bournemouth comment.

You said "But despite all those years in the PL, Pompey had a higher number in the Pointless TV quiz recently where teams with the initials 'P.L.A.Y.E.R.S' were the subject of the question."

I asked you prove it as we dont want another sheargate on our hands.

As ever you couldnt.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:26 - Sep 9 with 1315 viewsBison

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 13:48 - Sep 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Ok so remind what was the point of the question and what were the results you claim prove Pompey are giants of the modern game ? You had name teams for each letter or something ?

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:28 - Sep 9 with 1306 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 14:41 - Sep 9 by Butty101

You said "But despite all those years in the PL, Pompey had a higher number in the Pointless TV quiz recently where teams with the initials 'P.L.A.Y.E.R.S' were the subject of the question."

I asked you prove it as we dont want another sheargate on our hands.

As ever you couldnt.

https://atestanswers.com/file/pointless-game-show-questions-and-answers#

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:29 - Sep 9 with 1303 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:26 - Sep 9 by Bison

Ok so remind what was the point of the question and what were the results you claim prove Pompey are giants of the modern game ? You had name teams for each letter or something ?

The lowest numbers are the hardest numbers. Soton had a lower number than Portsmouth. I can't imagine why!!

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:32 - Sep 9 with 1306 viewsBison

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:29 - Sep 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

The lowest numbers are the hardest numbers. Soton had a lower number than Portsmouth. I can't imagine why!!

Oh I see , that's easy to explain.

There are only 4 teams in the league starting P whilst 12 starting S. So you need to multiply the S for Southampton results by 3 to get the correct ratio , so In fact we probabally double your score once you factorise the available answers.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 17:04 - Sep 9 with 1279 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:32 - Sep 9 by Bison

Oh I see , that's easy to explain.

There are only 4 teams in the league starting P whilst 12 starting S. So you need to multiply the S for Southampton results by 3 to get the correct ratio , so In fact we probabally double your score once you factorise the available answers.

Are you sure it's 4?

So, if 2 of the 'S' teams are in the top league, and the 'P' teams are all nowhere, wouldn't everyone know the 'S' teams. Add in the fact, that there are another 3 'S' teams in the CS but only 1 'P' team in the CS, then surely everyone mainly would know the teams in the top 2 leagues. Pompey being in the fifties just doesn't make sense if millions and millions are talking about the top teams on twitter.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 17:10 - Sep 9 with 1279 viewsButty101

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 16:28 - Sep 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

https://atestanswers.com/file/pointless-game-show-questions-and-answers#

Like I suspected, no proof ....

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 17:27 - Sep 9 with 1267 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 17:10 - Sep 9 by Butty101

Like I suspected, no proof ....

You've got to sign in to see the questions. No point me just cutting and pasting.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 20:47 - Sep 9 with 1240 viewsBison

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 17:04 - Sep 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Are you sure it's 4?

So, if 2 of the 'S' teams are in the top league, and the 'P' teams are all nowhere, wouldn't everyone know the 'S' teams. Add in the fact, that there are another 3 'S' teams in the CS but only 1 'P' team in the CS, then surely everyone mainly would know the teams in the top 2 leagues. Pompey being in the fifties just doesn't make sense if millions and millions are talking about the top teams on twitter.

This again can be explained through mathematics and human behaviour. The questions , I believe was name football teams starting with P to S so we have P L A Y E R S ?

Notice the predominate and first character being P.

So I tried it

P Portsmouth ( very close ) , Plymouth , Preston , Port Vale..... then L
L Liverpool Luton Leeds Leiceśter
A Arsenal Aston Villa Accrington Stanley

I am only 3 letters in and already the effect of brain fatigue is occurring . Now if we follow this through to eventually get to S then the effect is magnified. So with letter S being the last in the sequence the brain will of used up its reserves and given the sample size of clubs beginning with S is 4 times the amount of the first letter P I am not surprised that that the clubs beginning with S have lower values I would expect Portsmouth were higher then any team starting with the letter S like Sheffield Wednesday , Sheffield United , Sunderland etc....

You may get outliners like Stockport County receiving high marks but again that would be determined on where the survey was done. For instance if you asked anyone in Southampton name a football club beginning with the letter P you would probabally get a 95% result of Portsmouth . If you asked the same question in Stoke you would get 95% saying Port Vale.

I must admit that I do not watch this Pointless program due to being busy between the hours it's broadcast but I hope you grasp what I'm trying to explain to you.....

If not then Play up Pompey the bestest , biggest team in the world.

Look after yourself auld fella.

Xxxx

Edit: A good example of the phenomenon would be from back in the 70's so hopefully you will understand. Before heading off down to the working men's club did you watch Bruce Forsythes Generation game ?

Notice at the end when they had to remember what was on the travelator (sic) ?

Well they use to get the early ones on the memory recall but struggled later on. It's the same thing you saw on Point Less.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2020 21:17]

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 21:14 - Sep 9 with 1224 viewsButty101

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 17:27 - Sep 9 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

You've got to sign in to see the questions. No point me just cutting and pasting.

It sounds like sheargate, greater portsmythgate etc etc all over again.

Attention to detail lets you down every time and you end up getting ragged

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:16 - Sep 10 with 1125 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 20:47 - Sep 9 by Bison

This again can be explained through mathematics and human behaviour. The questions , I believe was name football teams starting with P to S so we have P L A Y E R S ?

Notice the predominate and first character being P.

So I tried it

P Portsmouth ( very close ) , Plymouth , Preston , Port Vale..... then L
L Liverpool Luton Leeds Leiceśter
A Arsenal Aston Villa Accrington Stanley

I am only 3 letters in and already the effect of brain fatigue is occurring . Now if we follow this through to eventually get to S then the effect is magnified. So with letter S being the last in the sequence the brain will of used up its reserves and given the sample size of clubs beginning with S is 4 times the amount of the first letter P I am not surprised that that the clubs beginning with S have lower values I would expect Portsmouth were higher then any team starting with the letter S like Sheffield Wednesday , Sheffield United , Sunderland etc....

You may get outliners like Stockport County receiving high marks but again that would be determined on where the survey was done. For instance if you asked anyone in Southampton name a football club beginning with the letter P you would probabally get a 95% result of Portsmouth . If you asked the same question in Stoke you would get 95% saying Port Vale.

I must admit that I do not watch this Pointless program due to being busy between the hours it's broadcast but I hope you grasp what I'm trying to explain to you.....

If not then Play up Pompey the bestest , biggest team in the world.

Look after yourself auld fella.

Xxxx

Edit: A good example of the phenomenon would be from back in the 70's so hopefully you will understand. Before heading off down to the working men's club did you watch Bruce Forsythes Generation game ?

Notice at the end when they had to remember what was on the travelator (sic) ?

Well they use to get the early ones on the memory recall but struggled later on. It's the same thing you saw on Point Less.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2020 21:17]

An awful lot of waffle there, and completely undermined by the fact that you could only name 4 P clubs, when there are in fact 5, but you somehow named all 12 S clubs.

There are 4 well known S clubs, maybe 5 if you include Stoke. If you get 1 Sheffield club, then you get the other. ie you only need 4 names for 5 clubs. There are 2 well known P clubs, and if you get Portsmouth, you generally get Port Vale, and sometimes Ply-Mouth

If I were to say to you name me the C clubs, you would have no problem naming Chelsea, Palace, Charlton and Coventry, that is a fact, and yet there are 11 C clubs.

It's all to do with the clubs being well known, that is a fact, and when you watched the Generation game, you only had one chance to see the conveyer belt, whereas people have had decades seeing, and hearing about certain football clubs.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:17 - Sep 10 with 1123 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 21:14 - Sep 9 by Butty101

It sounds like sheargate, greater portsmythgate etc etc all over again.

Attention to detail lets you down every time and you end up getting ragged

Attention to detail letting you down? Yes, it appears you haven't signed into that link.

it looks like I have won another argument 72-1
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 11:18]

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:53 - Sep 10 with 1117 viewsBison

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:16 - Sep 10 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

An awful lot of waffle there, and completely undermined by the fact that you could only name 4 P clubs, when there are in fact 5, but you somehow named all 12 S clubs.

There are 4 well known S clubs, maybe 5 if you include Stoke. If you get 1 Sheffield club, then you get the other. ie you only need 4 names for 5 clubs. There are 2 well known P clubs, and if you get Portsmouth, you generally get Port Vale, and sometimes Ply-Mouth

If I were to say to you name me the C clubs, you would have no problem naming Chelsea, Palace, Charlton and Coventry, that is a fact, and yet there are 11 C clubs.

It's all to do with the clubs being well known, that is a fact, and when you watched the Generation game, you only had one chance to see the conveyer belt, whereas people have had decades seeing, and hearing about certain football clubs.

I'm sure the contestants on Bruce Forsythes Generation Game had seen a Toaster or Deep Fat Fryer when they waltzed by on the travelator so again your argument falls on rocky ground. It's a scientific fact that if the word had been S T A R T U P rather than P L A Y E R S then Southampton would of outscored Portsmoth by a country mile , anyway having debunked the Pointless myth several times over I'm bored of it , what else you got ?

Ah by the way before you managed to escape to Canader what was you local working mans club on portsea island ?

I've just read the link you posted to the Express with the question in. It does not mention Portsmouth at all and it's all about southampton , in fact it proves how big a club southampton is.

"Before Angela answered the question for the couple, she admitted her knowledge of football wasn’t great as she was originally from South Wales, with her heart dedicated to rugby."

SO SHE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL BUT WHAT DID SHE DO ?

"Giving her best shot at the question, Angela put forward the suggestion of Southampton, in line with the letter ’S’ from which the players could choose from.

Angela was amazed to get a score of 27 for her answer, with Alexander commending the rugby fan on her answer."

SO THE LADY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL YET SHE CHOSE SOUTHAMPTON AS THE ANSWER WHICH JUST GOES TO SHOW WHAT A FAMOUS CLUB WE ARE AND EVEN RUGBY LOVING NON FOOTBALL FANS KNOW ABOUT US.

Thanks for highlighting this 130 , I would never of known how far our name reaches nowadays without your help.

[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 12:22]

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:10 - Sep 10 with 1100 viewsButty101

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:17 - Sep 10 by 130yrs_and_one_Cup

Attention to detail letting you down? Yes, it appears you haven't signed into that link.

it looks like I have won another argument 72-1
[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 11:18]

Im not creating an account to try and find your evidence for you. Im sure a clever chap like you can easily cut and paste the proof.
This is super crucial to proving Pompey are a big club, despite not having an average gate over 23k since the advent of the premiership.

#Dontmakeitanothershearergate

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:22 - Sep 10 with 1090 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 11:53 - Sep 10 by Bison

I'm sure the contestants on Bruce Forsythes Generation Game had seen a Toaster or Deep Fat Fryer when they waltzed by on the travelator so again your argument falls on rocky ground. It's a scientific fact that if the word had been S T A R T U P rather than P L A Y E R S then Southampton would of outscored Portsmoth by a country mile , anyway having debunked the Pointless myth several times over I'm bored of it , what else you got ?

Ah by the way before you managed to escape to Canader what was you local working mans club on portsea island ?

I've just read the link you posted to the Express with the question in. It does not mention Portsmouth at all and it's all about southampton , in fact it proves how big a club southampton is.

"Before Angela answered the question for the couple, she admitted her knowledge of football wasn’t great as she was originally from South Wales, with her heart dedicated to rugby."

SO SHE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL BUT WHAT DID SHE DO ?

"Giving her best shot at the question, Angela put forward the suggestion of Southampton, in line with the letter ’S’ from which the players could choose from.

Angela was amazed to get a score of 27 for her answer, with Alexander commending the rugby fan on her answer."

SO THE LADY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL YET SHE CHOSE SOUTHAMPTON AS THE ANSWER WHICH JUST GOES TO SHOW WHAT A FAMOUS CLUB WE ARE AND EVEN RUGBY LOVING NON FOOTBALL FANS KNOW ABOUT US.

Thanks for highlighting this 130 , I would never of known how far our name reaches nowadays without your help.

[Post edited 10 Sep 2020 12:22]

More waffle, I am giving you facts, and you are going on about Bruce Forsyth (good, good game!!)

Here is a little test for you, name as many B clubs in a minute as you can, there are 14 of them. You will certainly be able to name the big clubs, and not the little ones.

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:27 - Sep 10 with 1084 views130yrs_and_one_Cup

Talksport ranked the 30 biggest football clubs in Britain on 12:10 - Sep 10 by Butty101

Im not creating an account to try and find your evidence for you. Im sure a clever chap like you can easily cut and paste the proof.
This is super crucial to proving Pompey are a big club, despite not having an average gate over 23k since the advent of the premiership.

#Dontmakeitanothershearergate

Your attention to detail has let you down again. You could be quite impressive if you only pushed the boat at that little further. 72-1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024