Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC T20 and diversity 14:23 - Sep 6 with 3409 viewsKennington

So, they have two women, a former black player and another Asian guy doing a piece on what T20 is. The only white male presenter is Jimmy Anderson. I’m all for ethnic diversity and fully respect that 10% of the U.K. aren’t white. Nothing wrong with women presenting either. But shouldn’t the BBC be held to account for a completely unrepresentative view of the population and cricket in England? It seems now to have swung so far that unless you live in Enfield or Tottenham it’s not representative at all.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:54 - Sep 7 with 601 viewssolent_toffee

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:47 - Sep 7 by Saintsforeverj

Probably a distinction needs to be made from a commentator and a pundit. A good commentator can be male or female of course. My issue is that pundits on sky for example, they should be people who have played the game, they are discussing. For me, I also wouldn't want to listen a male pundit informing us about a PL game, if he only ever played in the conference.

Hand on heart when talking about Everton's history or "that special cup win" or whatever, would you not rather listen to a player who was actually on the pitch in front of thousands of fans? A women definitely hasn't played PL football in front of thousands of fans, in a game that so many care about. So yes, I would prefer to listen to a Le Tissier, Keane, Merson, Souness talking about /arguing about PL football rather than Sue or Katie or in fact a man with no experience of the PL.

When Neville argues with Carragher, its engaging. They have both won trophies and know how to win trophies. A women can't tell us how a team wins a PL title, because she has never done it. It's just a fact.

Last season Sue Smith commentated on the Everton v Burnley game and was sound, I would take her as a commentator over the likes of Carragher and Merson every day. Carragher is so biased it’s untrue, everything has to come back to Liverpool. Watford v Norwich, awful not as good as Mane and Salah, Saints v Leicester, never replaced Van Dijk and so on.

As for Merson, he is thick and tries to be sensational regardless of the situation.

Just because you have played the game at a top level doesn’t meant that you can articulate it, see Savage, Merson, Morrison, O’Hara, Sutton, all of them thick as mince and unable to talk about the game in a sensible coherent manner.
BBC T20 and diversity on 17:14 - Sep 7 with 583 viewsSaintsforeverj

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:54 - Sep 7 by solent_toffee

Last season Sue Smith commentated on the Everton v Burnley game and was sound, I would take her as a commentator over the likes of Carragher and Merson every day. Carragher is so biased it’s untrue, everything has to come back to Liverpool. Watford v Norwich, awful not as good as Mane and Salah, Saints v Leicester, never replaced Van Dijk and so on.

As for Merson, he is thick and tries to be sensational regardless of the situation.

Just because you have played the game at a top level doesn’t meant that you can articulate it, see Savage, Merson, Morrison, O’Hara, Sutton, all of them thick as mince and unable to talk about the game in a sensible coherent manner.

All true. But the stories from the past that pundits talk about, are interesting to me. That game, that crowd, that tackle. Carragher and Co yes are biased and can be complete idiots, but they can talk from real experience. I like Le Tissier's fist pumps on sky when Saints score and the stories of the tunnel unrest in that game or whatever. The female commentators may be very articulate, astute, well spoken, beautifully well behaved and the rest but they just simply commentate or give opinions. There are no stories to tell or reminiscing about past games. I like the stories and the chat of the past - Matt's last minute goal at the Dell or the Viera / Keane spat. For me, listening to their thoughts on that is part of it. But not anymore as they will be a thing of the past.
[Post edited 7 Sep 2020 17:23]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

BBC T20 and diversity on 17:57 - Sep 7 with 553 viewsSadoldgit

Commentators are not normally ex players. They are technically sports journalists although they often have an ex player sitting in with them to add bits here and there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024