Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BBC T20 and diversity 14:23 - Sep 6 with 3352 viewsKennington

So, they have two women, a former black player and another Asian guy doing a piece on what T20 is. The only white male presenter is Jimmy Anderson. I’m all for ethnic diversity and fully respect that 10% of the U.K. aren’t white. Nothing wrong with women presenting either. But shouldn’t the BBC be held to account for a completely unrepresentative view of the population and cricket in England? It seems now to have swung so far that unless you live in Enfield or Tottenham it’s not representative at all.

Poll: What age is too old for a striker?

BBC T20 and diversity on 14:38 - Sep 6 with 2731 viewsHeisenberg

Jimmy Anderson and Phil Tufnell commentating. Last time I looked they were white blokes. Think you are on your own pal.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

BBC T20 and diversity on 14:47 - Sep 6 with 2709 viewsKennington

BBC T20 and diversity on 14:38 - Sep 6 by Heisenberg

Jimmy Anderson and Phil Tufnell commentating. Last time I looked they were white blokes. Think you are on your own pal.

You’re correct they are but they are now the minority. Not going all extremist by any means. In fact being completely clear that diversity should be welcomed and everyone should feel included. Simply pointing out the ratio doesn’t reflect either the team makeup 3/11 = 27% non white nor the nation - 10% non white.

BBC T20 and diversity on 14:51 - Sep 6 with 2702 viewscocklebreath

BBC T20 and diversity on 14:47 - Sep 6 by Kennington

You’re correct they are but they are now the minority. Not going all extremist by any means. In fact being completely clear that diversity should be welcomed and everyone should feel included. Simply pointing out the ratio doesn’t reflect either the team makeup 3/11 = 27% non white nor the nation - 10% non white.

I’ve only heard white voices so far, I think you may have got it wrong

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

BBC T20 and diversity on 15:06 - Sep 6 with 2683 viewsKennington

BBC T20 and diversity on 14:51 - Sep 6 by cocklebreath

I’ve only heard white voices so far, I think you may have got it wrong

Referring to the presenters and pundits not commentators. It’s seems the commentators are more balanced.

BBC T20 and diversity on 15:08 - Sep 6 with 2677 viewsBicester_North

Sky’s team far superior anyway.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

BBC T20 and diversity on 15:32 - Sep 6 with 2643 viewscocklebreath

BBC T20 and diversity on 15:06 - Sep 6 by Kennington

Referring to the presenters and pundits not commentators. It’s seems the commentators are more balanced.

I’m wrong as I’m watching sky which is always better, you’re probably right

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:23 - Sep 6 with 2609 viewsButty101

BBC T20 and diversity on 15:32 - Sep 6 by cocklebreath

I’m wrong as I’m watching sky which is always better, you’re probably right

I think Bairstows time is coming to end. Seems on a poor run.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:32 - Sep 6 with 2595 viewsKennington

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:23 - Sep 6 by Butty101

I think Bairstows time is coming to end. Seems on a poor run.

Excellent 44 against Pakistan a week or two ago. We’re playing so many games at the moment, innings like that are forgotten after a few dodgy scores.

Login to get fewer ads

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:40 - Sep 6 with 2580 viewsBison

I did put BBC on briefly at halftime or whatever it's called in cricket and there were a couple of women I didn't recognise explaining cricket. How that can compare to KP , Shane Warne , Atherton and Nasser Hussien I don't know.

It's like taking your girlfriend on a lads holiday , just not quite right.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:59 - Sep 6 with 2535 viewsBoris_

Soppy is going to be furious when he reads this thread.

Poll: Claude Puel

BBC T20 and diversity on 17:09 - Sep 6 with 2527 viewsBison

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:59 - Sep 6 by Boris_

I just flipped from sky to BBC as adverts came on and the ladies are discussing clothing styles !

I am honestly gobsmacked poor Jimmy looks like a deer in the headlights .

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

BBC T20 and diversity on 18:22 - Sep 6 with 2476 viewsDellHero_Would

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:59 - Sep 6 by Boris_

The poor old sod needs a sponsorship deal with an adult nappy supplier.It must cost a fortune the rate at which he fills them up... No wonder he’s spent his entire life permanently skint

Poll: Wearing a mask

BBC T20 and diversity on 18:50 - Sep 6 with 2449 viewsButty101

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:32 - Sep 6 by Kennington

Excellent 44 against Pakistan a week or two ago. We’re playing so many games at the moment, innings like that are forgotten after a few dodgy scores.

His poor form goes back to last winter. This summer he has got 150 odd runs in 9 innings. That’s basically propped up but an 80 against Ireland. He looks on the wane to me. Surely Malan 190 in 5 innings.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

BBC T20 and diversity on 18:57 - Sep 6 with 2433 viewsWints76

To be fair, SOG hasn't posted on this thread and yet people are still having a go at him. Might it be that it is not him that is the issue and catalyst for the never ending, same old argument?

I watched the cricket on the BBC when I got home from work. There was some inane chat, but then, there always is with cricket. I think they may have tried too hard to match the nonsense that the likes of Bumble spout on Sky, but at least it was on terrestrial tv. Most of the time, I zone out anyway
BBC T20 and diversity on 19:38 - Sep 6 with 2391 viewsSaintsforeverj

Talking of diversity, soccer aid on now, with a mixed team of women and men for the first time. Are we heading towards mixed professional teams? I think watching a PL game with a 6ft 4 bloke lunging into a women for a tackle would make me uncomfortable (through fear of the women being hurt).

Hopefully most men would also think twice about a tough tackle on a women too. Does that make me sexist to say that this diversity would therefore spoil the game? Or does that just prove a point, that men are different to women? (oops not allowed to say that am I?). I think this is another pc push, that is slowly driving the average person crazy. An apple isn't an apple anymore, it's a red bookcase.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2020 19:43]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

BBC T20 and diversity on 19:44 - Sep 6 with 2372 viewsNumber_58

I couldnt give a toss about where the commentators come from or what sex they are, as long as they're informative and entertaining, which I happen to think the current TMS crop are. TMS is a national institution. If they ever get rid of Long Wave I'll have to buy a more modern car.
BBC T20 and diversity on 19:49 - Sep 6 with 2357 viewsBicester_North

BBC T20 and diversity on 19:44 - Sep 6 by Number_58

I couldnt give a toss about where the commentators come from or what sex they are, as long as they're informative and entertaining, which I happen to think the current TMS crop are. TMS is a national institution. If they ever get rid of Long Wave I'll have to buy a more modern car.

Agree with this, hence why I prefer Sky as Atherton is by far the best cricket commentator/analyst out there, Holding also excellent and Warne and Hussain decent. Vaughan good on BBC.

Overall cricket coverage absolutely shits on football. Bar Gary Neville and Jeff Stelling I can hardly watch any of them.

Edit forgot Agnew on TMS. Richie Benaud, John Arlott and Blowers are greatest of all time
[Post edited 6 Sep 2020 19:55]

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

BBC T20 and diversity on 20:04 - Sep 6 with 2335 viewsSaintsforeverj

BBC T20 and diversity on 19:44 - Sep 6 by Number_58

I think a male PL player who has won titles in front of 60 000 people, with the media and fan pressure or likewise a player that has played in great escapes in pressurised media driven football, are more informative than a women that played for a team at AFC Totton ground that nobody cares about. A women can of course understand football, like it, know the rules etc.

But they can't tell us how a PL team can win their last 3 games to stay up in front of 60 000 fans: not really because they have never done it. They can't "inform" us how a team can win the PL title, because they have never done it. So I personally find ex PL players who happen to be men, more informative and find it stupid to say that we must have female pundits anymore than we must have male midwives. It's the world going mad.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2020 20:17]

BBC T20 and diversity on 20:13 - Sep 6 with 2318 viewsSadoldgit

BBC T20 and diversity on 18:57 - Sep 6 by Wints76

To be fair, SOG hasn't posted on this thread and yet people are still having a go at him. Might it be that it is not him that is the issue and catalyst for the never ending, same old argument?

I watched the cricket on the BBC when I got home from work. There was some inane chat, but then, there always is with cricket. I think they may have tried too hard to match the nonsense that the likes of Bumble spout on Sky, but at least it was on terrestrial tv. Most of the time, I zone out anyway

Thank you Wints! You have hit the nail on the head mate.
BBC T20 and diversity on 22:19 - Sep 6 with 2209 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

Agreed. It's what has killed this forum recently.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

BBC T20 and diversity on 12:44 - Sep 7 with 2017 viewssolent_toffee

I tried to watch the game on BBC last week but lasted five minutes before turning it back to Sky.

Sky’s coverage is far superior to the BBC’s, weirdly its nothing to do with the colour of anyone’s skin, they are just very slick and have been for sometime. Their coverage of cricket is so much much better than their coverage of football as are the pundits/commentators who really know their stuff.

As a contrast I listened to yesterday’s game on five live as I was driving from Liverpool and thought their coverage was excellence. Michael Carberry was a pundit and was superb. He has great knowledge of his sport and offered great insight as did the other ex player (Mills - no idea what colour of his skin, sadly) and Ebony someone or other, who was also excellent despite clearly being a female!

I switched over at one point and listened to Talksport, lasted about two minutes as ex player Darren Ambrose (no, me neither) talked absolute nonsense about the England game from the previous day.

The difference in quality of pundits was night and day.
BBC T20 and diversity on 15:06 - Sep 7 with 1955 viewsBuggalugs

BBC T20 and diversity on 12:44 - Sep 7 by solent_toffee

I tried to watch the game on BBC last week but lasted five minutes before turning it back to Sky.

Sky’s coverage is far superior to the BBC’s, weirdly its nothing to do with the colour of anyone’s skin, they are just very slick and have been for sometime. Their coverage of cricket is so much much better than their coverage of football as are the pundits/commentators who really know their stuff.

As a contrast I listened to yesterday’s game on five live as I was driving from Liverpool and thought their coverage was excellence. Michael Carberry was a pundit and was superb. He has great knowledge of his sport and offered great insight as did the other ex player (Mills - no idea what colour of his skin, sadly) and Ebony someone or other, who was also excellent despite clearly being a female!

I switched over at one point and listened to Talksport, lasted about two minutes as ex player Darren Ambrose (no, me neither) talked absolute nonsense about the England game from the previous day.

The difference in quality of pundits was night and day.

Most cricket and rugby pro's are well educated, whereas most footballers are not. That's why the insight and analysis provided in these 2 sports is far superior in quality and intelligence to football.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:15 - Sep 7 with 1928 viewsBoris_

BBC, Sky, ITV and pretty much any media outlet have diversity targets and aren't backwards at specifically and openly asking for someone of BAME origin for presenting jobs etc.

Personally have no issue with that and think it's a positive thing that helps.

Don't understand the justification for having female presenters for mens cricket though.

Poll: Claude Puel

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:26 - Sep 7 with 1923 viewssolent_toffee

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:15 - Sep 7 by Boris_

BBC, Sky, ITV and pretty much any media outlet have diversity targets and aren't backwards at specifically and openly asking for someone of BAME origin for presenting jobs etc.

Personally have no issue with that and think it's a positive thing that helps.

Don't understand the justification for having female presenters for mens cricket though.

Alison Mitchell has been commentating on TMS for years and years with the justification being that she is excellent at her job, regardless of whether she is female or not.

Don’t get me wrong there are some shocking examples of awful female commentators, the Liverpool Ladies manager who was the pundit for the Saints v Palace game last season was sensationally bad but then again you don’t have to go far for just as bad male versions e.g Jamie O’Hara.
BBC T20 and diversity on 16:47 - Sep 7 with 1915 viewsSaintsforeverj

BBC T20 and diversity on 16:26 - Sep 7 by solent_toffee

Alison Mitchell has been commentating on TMS for years and years with the justification being that she is excellent at her job, regardless of whether she is female or not.

Don’t get me wrong there are some shocking examples of awful female commentators, the Liverpool Ladies manager who was the pundit for the Saints v Palace game last season was sensationally bad but then again you don’t have to go far for just as bad male versions e.g Jamie O’Hara.

Probably a distinction needs to be made from a commentator and a pundit. A good commentator can be male or female of course. My issue is that pundits on sky for example, they should be people who have played the game, they are discussing. For me, I also wouldn't want to listen a male pundit informing us about a PL game, if he only ever played in the conference.

Hand on heart when talking about Everton's history or "that special cup win" or whatever, would you not rather listen to a player who was actually on the pitch in front of thousands of fans? A women definitely hasn't played PL football in front of thousands of fans, in a game that so many care about. So yes, I would prefer to listen to a Le Tissier, Keane, Merson, Souness talking about /arguing about PL football rather than Sue or Katie or in fact a man with no experience of the PL.

When Neville argues with Carragher, its engaging. They have both won trophies and know how to win trophies. A women can't tell us how a team wins a PL title, because she has never done it. It's just a fact.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024