Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre backs 08:56 - Oct 2 with 1442 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I keep reading that "Saints centre backs are crap". Yes, they are not Virgil Van Dijk, but, the majority of teams seem to be leaking goals left, right and centre.

I just wonder if the expectations on modern goalkeeping and defending methods are too much, unless you are at the VERY top of your game. If Saints had Van Dijk to sell right now, how much would he be going for, £200m?? Ridiculous, but there isn't anyone better than I'm aware of.

Man Utd paid £80m for Maguire for god's sake. To find a defender with pace, power, positional awareness, perception who can tackle, head and pass ... it can't be easy, especially as every Premier League team wants those defenders too.

Any thoughts?

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Centre backs on 09:02 - Oct 2 with 1430 viewscocklebreath

You’re right, I think ours are about mid table which is what we are. I still believe when looking for a centre back Italy or Sweden is the place to go

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Centre backs on 09:13 - Oct 2 with 1423 viewsSonicBoom

Fair points.
I'd say it depends on how those goals are conceded.
Yes if you want a player that can run, mark, head and play the ball out of defence then you need to buy Van Dijk. Even when we sold him I was amazed that United and City didn't try to get him.
Yes other teams let in goals but we do seem to shoot ourselves in the foot more than most.
We often dominate possession, fail to score - or just get one, then we lack concentration at the back and gift a goal to the opposition.
Fair enough if we concede a great goal, that's always going to happen, but we tend to concede through a lack of marking or a sloppy ball in a key area. Unfortunately that is usually in the centre of defence. For me it stems back as far as the cup final. I can still see Ibrahimovich rising like a hippy in a mosh pit at a Grateful Dead concert, and heading home from the 6 yard line totally unmarked. I'm still not really over it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024