Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christmas Carnage? 13:11 - Dec 18 with 31029 viewsSadoldgit

Infection rates are generally rising fast despite the tier systems so you can imagine the spike after the free for all Christmas period. Johnson obviously doesn’t want to be seen as a Grinch but by not closing down Christmas there will be a lot fewer people enjoying it with their loved ones next year.
We are battening down the hatches this Christmas. I just hope that people are sensible and do the same. Sadly though I think people will just go for it and be damned.
Christmas Carnage? on 13:58 - Dec 22 with 1495 viewsgrumpy

Christmas Carnage? on 11:47 - Dec 22 by 1885_SFC

A shame that the frogs didn't show as much grit & defiance during WWII when it came to protecting their own borders...

The BEF didn't hang around long when the Germans invaded France.
Christmas Carnage? on 14:05 - Dec 22 with 1488 viewsBison

Christmas Carnage? on 13:58 - Dec 22 by grumpy

The BEF didn't hang around long when the Germans invaded France.

Why are you belittling the British armed forces , you do realise the Germans invaded France and we were trying to help ?

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Christmas Carnage? on 14:09 - Dec 22 with 1481 viewsdwayne_dibley

Christmas Carnage? on 14:05 - Dec 22 by Bison

Why are you belittling the British armed forces , you do realise the Germans invaded France and we were trying to help ?

no good deed goes unpunished

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Christmas Carnage? on 14:19 - Dec 22 with 1474 viewsSadoldgit

Christmas Carnage? on 11:36 - Dec 22 by 1885_SFC

Cheese-eating surrender monkeys then. Will that do?

We don’t eat cheese here? Our armies have never surrendered? Go and read up on WW1 and the crap these people went through on their own soil. Read about the French Resistance in WW2. They are human beings just like the rest of us, but well done for smearing a whole nation just because you think that you are superior.
Christmas Carnage? on 14:51 - Dec 22 with 1455 viewsgrumpy

I am not belittling the British armed forces, I'm being realistic in response to I quote

'A shame that the frogs didn't show as much grit & defiance during WWII when it came to protecting their own borders'

We had a Island to return to and the Americans to assist us in our defence.

The RAF were magnificent,our Navy was always a huge threat to any German landing and the stoicism of the British people admirable.

But lets not deride the French or any other nation that borders Germany for their defence. The German Army at its peak would have crushed any other, thankfully due to our resistance with the help of the yanks and Hitlers decision to attack Russia the way they did they lost the war.

oh!and the reason 'we were trying to help' as you put it was that the next stop after France was here.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 14:54]
Christmas Carnage? on 14:56 - Dec 22 with 1451 viewsSadoldgit

And but for a 20 mile strip of water we would be a very different country now.
Christmas Carnage? on 16:45 - Dec 22 with 1411 views1885_SFC

Christmas Carnage? on 14:19 - Dec 22 by Sadoldgit

We don’t eat cheese here? Our armies have never surrendered? Go and read up on WW1 and the crap these people went through on their own soil. Read about the French Resistance in WW2. They are human beings just like the rest of us, but well done for smearing a whole nation just because you think that you are superior.

Read up on your history you bore...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Mers-el-K%C3%A9bir

Old School is Cool

Christmas Carnage? on 16:46 - Dec 22 with 1409 viewsDorsetIan

Christmas Carnage? on 14:51 - Dec 22 by grumpy

I am not belittling the British armed forces, I'm being realistic in response to I quote

'A shame that the frogs didn't show as much grit & defiance during WWII when it came to protecting their own borders'

We had a Island to return to and the Americans to assist us in our defence.

The RAF were magnificent,our Navy was always a huge threat to any German landing and the stoicism of the British people admirable.

But lets not deride the French or any other nation that borders Germany for their defence. The German Army at its peak would have crushed any other, thankfully due to our resistance with the help of the yanks and Hitlers decision to attack Russia the way they did they lost the war.

oh!and the reason 'we were trying to help' as you put it was that the next stop after France was here.
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 14:54]

For me, the experience of defeat in the second world war helped most European countries grow up. They learnt the hard way where belligerence and tub thumping gets you; that cooperation was a far better bet for their countries than nationalism; and that none of them were as exceptional as they thought they were.

We never learnt that lesson in this country.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Login to get fewer ads

Christmas Carnage? on 16:47 - Dec 22 with 1408 viewsJaySaint

Christmas Carnage? on 16:46 - Dec 22 by DorsetIan

For me, the experience of defeat in the second world war helped most European countries grow up. They learnt the hard way where belligerence and tub thumping gets you; that cooperation was a far better bet for their countries than nationalism; and that none of them were as exceptional as they thought they were.

Unsure how we have not learnt this kind of stuff?
We are easily one of the greatest, most tolerant and desirable nations on earth.

why should we not be proud of that, whilst doff our hats to our history, and acknowledging the bad parts?
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 16:50]

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Christmas Carnage? on 16:48 - Dec 22 with 1408 views1885_SFC

Christmas Carnage? on 14:56 - Dec 22 by Sadoldgit

And but for a 20 mile strip of water we would be a very different country now.

More boring trolling. I expect nothing else from the forum's walking dead.

Old School is Cool

Christmas Carnage? on 17:00 - Dec 22 with 1391 viewsBicester_North

Christmas Carnage? on 16:46 - Dec 22 by DorsetIan

The self important pontificating and generalising here is world class

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Christmas Carnage? on 17:06 - Dec 22 with 1383 viewsDorsetIan

Christmas Carnage? on 17:00 - Dec 22 by Bicester_North

The self important pontificating and generalising here is world class

Oh dear. Some cages rattled.

Christmas Carnage? on 17:41 - Dec 22 with 1351 viewsBicester_North

Christmas Carnage? on 17:06 - Dec 22 by DorsetIan

Oh dear. Some cages rattled.

Don’t get so angry Ian

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Christmas Carnage? on 18:09 - Dec 22 with 1326 views1885_SFC

Because grumps, like Ian and SOG, are ashamed of our past history. You shouldn't ever be allowed to mention it for fear of upsetting our European friends & neighbours. Perish the thought.

Fancy having a dig at the BEF. Dear oh dear...

Old School is Cool

Christmas Carnage? on 18:15 - Dec 22 with 1319 viewsDorsetIan

Christmas Carnage? on 18:09 - Dec 22 by 1885_SFC

Because grumps, like Ian and SOG, are ashamed of our past history. You shouldn't ever be allowed to mention it for fear of upsetting our European friends & neighbours. Perish the thought.

Fancy having a dig at the BEF. Dear oh dear...

You misunderstand 1885. Nobody is ashamed of our history. Just of the people who twist it to belittle other countries and peoples. There's absolutely no need for it.

And nobody is 'having a dig' at the BEF either. It's you who seems intent on judging those fighters who were on the wrong end of the German advance in 1940.

Christmas Carnage? on 18:20 - Dec 22 with 1315 viewsBazza

Actually France help was limited in world war2. We had to sabotage their fleet because they refused to despite fears the Nazis might take it over. They also refused Churchill’s proposal for some sort of coalition. The brave resistance folks were initiated by Churchill and of course enhanced by brits.
I’m shocked by some left learning people on virtually showing anti- British sentiment. Despite being a brexiteer I have no particular dislike of any EU country though I’ve found the french the more tricky to get along with, Germans and Scandis the easiest
Christmas Carnage? on 18:20 - Dec 22 with 1314 viewsSadoldgit

Christmas Carnage? on 16:48 - Dec 22 by 1885_SFC

More boring trolling. I expect nothing else from the forum's walking dead.

Give it a rest mate. Do you really think we stood a chance against the Germans if it hadn’t been for the channel? That is not slagging off our own country, it is realism. You on the other hand are just a boorish racist.
Christmas Carnage? on 18:34 - Dec 22 with 1301 views1885_SFC

Christmas Carnage? on 18:20 - Dec 22 by Sadoldgit

Give it a rest mate. Do you really think we stood a chance against the Germans if it hadn’t been for the channel? That is not slagging off our own country, it is realism. You on the other hand are just a boorish racist.

lol. Rascist because I'm not over keen on the French? You're a rather strange old man.

Old School is Cool

Christmas Carnage? on 18:38 - Dec 22 with 1297 viewsgrumpy

Christmas Carnage? on 18:20 - Dec 22 by Bazza

Actually France help was limited in world war2. We had to sabotage their fleet because they refused to despite fears the Nazis might take it over. They also refused Churchill’s proposal for some sort of coalition. The brave resistance folks were initiated by Churchill and of course enhanced by brits.
I’m shocked by some left learning people on virtually showing anti- British sentiment. Despite being a brexiteer I have no particular dislike of any EU country though I’ve found the french the more tricky to get along with, Germans and Scandis the easiest

The French Resistance played a vital part on D Day with vital intelligence work and the disruption to German supply and communication lines within France which saved many Allied lives.

Why do some think that wanting to be part of an European Union is in some way anti British, its not and couldn't be further from the truth.
Are the other 20 odd European countries not being patriotic by wanting to be part of a union?
Christmas Carnage? on 19:06 - Dec 22 with 1278 viewsBazza

Christmas Carnage? on 18:38 - Dec 22 by grumpy

The French Resistance played a vital part on D Day with vital intelligence work and the disruption to German supply and communication lines within France which saved many Allied lives.

Why do some think that wanting to be part of an European Union is in some way anti British, its not and couldn't be further from the truth.
Are the other 20 odd European countries not being patriotic by wanting to be part of a union?

The anti British comment I referred to was principally Ian’s comment that the Uk failed to grow up
Christmas Carnage? on 19:22 - Dec 22 with 1261 viewskernow

The next 5 to 10 years will reveal a great deal about Britain's status in the World.
Christmas Carnage? on 19:53 - Dec 22 with 1242 viewsJaySaint

Christmas Carnage? on 18:38 - Dec 22 by grumpy

why do some think not being part of a political union is anti-european?

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Christmas Carnage? on 20:10 - Dec 22 with 1221 viewsDorsetIan

Christmas Carnage? on 19:06 - Dec 22 by Bazza

The anti British comment I referred to was principally Ian’s comment that the Uk failed to grow up

It's a fact that we didn't suffer the same sort of catastrophic defeats that the other nations suffered. It taught them humility.

Give me humility over nationalistic hubris, any day.

Christmas Carnage? on 20:13 - Dec 22 with 1218 viewsBazza

Christmas Carnage? on 20:10 - Dec 22 by DorsetIan

It's a fact that we didn't suffer the same sort of catastrophic defeats that the other nations suffered. It taught them humility.

Give me humility over nationalistic hubris, any day.

Fair enough but I’ve never found the French leaders guilty of humility!
Christmas Carnage? on 20:23 - Dec 22 with 1204 views1885_SFC

Christmas Carnage? on 20:13 - Dec 22 by Bazza

Fair enough but I’ve never found the French leaders guilty of humility!

Ironically, it was de Gaulle who vetoed Britain’s application to join the EEC in the 1960's. He thought we were an insular, island race who were never 'true' Europeans.

Old School is Cool

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024