Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Made my day 13:49 - Feb 5 with 3392 viewsPeaky

I don’t post on here as much as I used too but I always read the comments and had to post because something just made my day. Wow sometimes life just surprises you.

I made a comment on a social media post nearly a year ago about one of my greatest footballing idols. This guy inspired me as a footballer. He didn’t play for your fancy Manchester United’s or Liverpool’s but for my home town and team I support (Rochdale)

Growing up, like many others I followed Rochdale all across the country. I saw players come and go and we have had some club legends and players that went on to great things. This guy stood out to me for a few reasons. He scored some of the best goals I have seen by a player in a dale shirt and also had a striking resemblance to me (well the other way round as he is older than me). We both had blond curtains and apparently I played with a similar style and had a decent left foot. It was because of this that my football friends gave me the nickname peaky. That nickname has stuck with me to this day.

Today Jason Peake commented on my post. It may seem insignificant in a world where your a celebrity if you take a selfie and post it on Instagram, but to me it absolutely made my day.

Rochdale football club is so special. There is something about this club. We are a family club and players who have been her past and present seem to understand it. If any player happens to read this, don’t underestimate what impact you can have on someone.
Made my day on 15:01 - Feb 5 with 3256 viewsboromat

Great post and a great little story.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Made my day on 15:21 - Feb 5 with 3205 viewsDaleiLama

Did you knock any like this in with your left peg Peaky?

.......... if so, can you play left back too?
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 15:22]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Made my day on 16:18 - Feb 5 with 3071 viewsFred_Talbot

Nice one Peaky!
Even though the football on show wasn’t brilliant, at least we had a laugh travelling up and down the country didn’t we?
😂

Where's Fred?

Made my day on 17:03 - Feb 5 with 2984 viewsTVOS1907

Made my day on 16:18 - Feb 5 by Fred_Talbot

Nice one Peaky!
Even though the football on show wasn’t brilliant, at least we had a laugh travelling up and down the country didn’t we?
😂

Especially when Frank was at the wheel of the minibus!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Made my day on 18:06 - Feb 5 with 2872 views442Dale

I think that if we all got to choose a point in time to travel to in minibus shaped Tardis, many of us who travelled everywhere in that era would choose that as our best times as Dale fans.

The team weren’t anything special, results were mixed at best but the people, some of who have posted already, made a trip to Leyton Orient in the pouring rain the Friday before Christmas a much anticipated event. I struggle to garner much enthusiasm about Fleetwood away these days, whereas losing at Cardiff on a Tuesday remains a highlight. Thanks to Peaky for this thread, it shows that giving him a random nickname that led to very few people realising he had another name, was actually well worth it!

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Made my day on 21:00 - Feb 5 with 2680 viewsTVOS1907

Talking of tales like Peaky's, there's a cracking Facebook group called English Football in the 1980s.

Lots of players from that era are on the group and are more than happy to engage in conversations with fans.

Bizarrely, there was a profile of Glenn Poole on there (maybe he was born in the 80s?), who vividly remembered the game at Peterborough on the final day of 06/07 when he was attacked by pitch-invading Posh fans.

The group is worth joining for anyone who watched football in that era as you see lots of players you'll remember from the lower leagues instead of the usual top flight names.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Made my day on 00:57 - Feb 6 with 2512 viewsPeaky

Made my day on 21:00 - Feb 5 by TVOS1907

Talking of tales like Peaky's, there's a cracking Facebook group called English Football in the 1980s.

Lots of players from that era are on the group and are more than happy to engage in conversations with fans.

Bizarrely, there was a profile of Glenn Poole on there (maybe he was born in the 80s?), who vividly remembered the game at Peterborough on the final day of 06/07 when he was attacked by pitch-invading Posh fans.

The group is worth joining for anyone who watched football in that era as you see lots of players you'll remember from the lower leagues instead of the usual top flight names.

Your absolutely right guys. I could write a book about our across country adventures. Growing up they are some of my best and favourite memories. The group we had mixed so well.

Hope your all keeping well and hopefully one day in the not too distant future we can travel again so I can home and have a pint with you all again whilst watching the dale
Made my day on 01:02 - Feb 6 with 2508 viewsPeaky

Made my day on 15:21 - Feb 5 by DaleiLama

Did you knock any like this in with your left peg Peaky?

.......... if so, can you play left back too?
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 15:22]

I still do every now and again lama. Still playing at the ripe old age of 43. My scissor kicks are limited to one attempt a season now but I don’t mind the odd 25 yarder 😂
Login to get fewer ads

Made my day on 01:55 - Feb 6 with 2498 viewsSandyman

Had some fantastic away days in Steve Parkin's first term as manager. If memory serves we won 10 league games away in his first season.
Made my day on 09:19 - Feb 6 with 2396 viewswidgibob

What I want to know is do you still have the Curtains?

Miguel, Miguel de Souza, his name's peculiar,Miguel de Souza...........HIYA MATE HIYA MATE HIYA MATE.

Made my day on 11:43 - Feb 6 with 2274 viewscupardale

He replied to me too! and I admit I got the same buzz from seeing his reply. He is truly one of my favourite players in my near 30 years supporting Dale, and someone who would thrive in our team just now.
Made my day on 12:12 - Feb 6 with 2244 viewsPeaky

Made my day on 09:19 - Feb 6 by widgibob

What I want to know is do you still have the Curtains?

As much as I wish that I still did, I’m a bit old now to pull it off.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024