Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Your views on the British military 18:30 - Mar 16 with 9192 viewsKeithHaynes

All three services plus the off shoots, Whats your opinion on having an armed force ?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Your views on the British military on 22:10 - Mar 22 with 479 viewscontroversial_jack

Your views on the British military on 19:56 - Mar 22 by londonlisa2001

Don’t be so absolutely ridiculous.

I’ve worked with many ex forces. Nothing could be further from the truth. In my experience they fit brilliantly into a team.

Edited to add,

The way we treat our ex military in this country is, in some cases, absolutely disgraceful. There’s a great local guy I have spent time talking to over the years. Homeless. Huge mental health issues. In constant pain caused by an explosion in Afghanistan. It’s shocking that he’s out on the streets. Embarrassing to all of us.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 20:00]

That's been my experience of many of them from my time in Industry. You may have had a different experience, and of course, that's not limited to only ex military, but it seems to be a trait many of them have,
Your views on the British military on 07:49 - Mar 23 with 431 viewsBoundy

Your views on the British military on 21:04 - Mar 22 by Catullus

I don't find it amusing, to be honest I'm embarrassed for him.

Therein we must differ , I don't know the poster other than I disagree with most of what he posts , his "embarrassment" is his to bear

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Your views on the British military on 08:24 - Mar 23 with 421 viewsKeithHaynes

Your views on the British military on 09:20 - Mar 22 by Boundy

yep down by 10.000.When you consider that a peacetime infantry battalion varies from 500 to 900 then does this mean yet another regiment will go to the wall ? Affinity with a Regiment is based on many things , loyalty , pride , its part in historical events , all swept away by an accountants pen .
[Post edited 22 Mar 2021 9:21]

Only 33,000 left in the RAF
30,000 in the navy.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Your views on the British military on 09:43 - Mar 23 with 413 viewsonehunglow

Your views on the British military on 15:11 - Mar 22 by Boundy

In my experience , potential employers will err to taking on an ex forces individual because:
a , they know they tend to be self motivated, self disciplined, accepting on what procedures have to be followed and have a decent skill set . Where I work now, out of a team of 6, 5 of us are ex military. two of whom have 40 years service / experience between them .
I suppose for some its an anathema to even think of taking orders from someone .

And there you have it.
Discipline.
This is what is so lacking
It is a dirty word,feared by many and seen a a form of subjugation and control.
If only we could control people,we wouldn't see what we have and are seeing.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Your views on the British military on 09:45 - Mar 23 with 412 viewsCatullus

Your views on the British military on 09:43 - Mar 23 by onehunglow

And there you have it.
Discipline.
This is what is so lacking
It is a dirty word,feared by many and seen a a form of subjugation and control.
If only we could control people,we wouldn't see what we have and are seeing.

It's not about controlling people, not to me. To me it's about teaching people to control themselves. Self discipline is important.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Your views on the British military on 10:01 - Mar 23 with 409 viewsonehunglow

Your views on the British military on 09:45 - Mar 23 by Catullus

It's not about controlling people, not to me. To me it's about teaching people to control themselves. Self discipline is important.

Morning Cat.
It IS -for some,those who whinge and whine about loss of freedom of expression .This was typified by Corbyn and those grotesque demos that people seem to have forgotten.
Gathering have killed the innocent.

If we have total freedom,we have anarchy as everyone will do what they want-.

If and when that happens,you see what happens. Death.

Your views on the British military on 11:00 - Mar 23 with 406 viewsBoundy

Your views on the British military on 09:45 - Mar 23 by Catullus

I agree it is self discipline , yes there's discipline enforced upon one at the outset , to think and act as a unit but then but this also allows the individual to develop his/her own self discipline. self control and initiative .
When i think back and I'm sure this is true of many ex servicemen, the responsibility of which many had to carry at very young ages (in situations which very few civvies could relate to) then imo in the main service life can provide a good grounding for future civilian life

Your views on the British military on 11:09 - Mar 23 with 402 viewsonehunglow

Your views on the British military on 11:00 - Mar 23 by Boundy

I agree it is self discipline , yes there's discipline enforced upon one at the outset , to think and act as a unit but then but this also allows the individual to develop his/her own self discipline. self control and initiative .
When i think back and I'm sure this is true of many ex servicemen, the responsibility of which many had to carry at very young ages (in situations which very few civvies could relate to) then imo in the main service life can provide a good grounding for future civilian life

So true Boundy.
In another capacity well away from my Police career,I interviewed young people and their perception of what we would term normal baffles them and many are so utterly naive it is painful to behold.

It is not uncommon for many to be fooked without their phone and would struggle to get anywhere in this country so ignorant are they .Getting out of bed for some and getting prepared for an interview travelling by public transport is a very big deal for some.

"Now.tell me something about yourself" .

Login to get fewer ads

Your views on the British military on 11:15 - Mar 23 with 397 viewsCatullus

Your views on the British military on 11:00 - Mar 23 by Boundy

I never served but that's how I see it. I used to have a colleague, ex Paras, big bloke, hard as nails. He only did favours for or helped those who would help others. Sh1t on him once and you never got a second chance. Team player he was, as long as the team pulled it's weight. There was also neverending banter

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Your views on the British military on 11:18 - Mar 23 with 396 viewsBoundy

Your views on the British military on 08:24 - Mar 23 by KeithHaynes

Only 33,000 left in the RAF
30,000 in the navy.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A steady and worrying decline , I'm sure the US will be worried , and so should we , why should they carry the burden of maintaining peace or stand up to potential aggressors should the need arise.
Biden doesn't particularly like the UK and any reason to sever ties either militarily or economically will be easier if we are seen as weak and have to be carried (as much as it pains me to say ) as we were in Afghanistan .

Your views on the British military on 11:20 - Mar 23 with 394 viewscontroversial_jack

Your views on the British military on 20:54 - Mar 22 by Boundy

The military in this country has always had the same effect as shall we say marmite , indifferent , supported or just disliked to the extreme , it goes with the territory . If I'm personally attacked then I'll defend myself but why get should I get angry when an organisation of which I once belonged to is ridiculed or defamed because of someone else's opinion doesn't align with mine. Not worth it imo , I'm quite proud of my past and achievements, whether those who abuse can say the same is a matter for them , but to me they are of no consequence.

I'm not ridiculing or attacking the armed forces, just giving my opinion of many of the ex military that i have worked with.Those who have seen real action, not just those who have served time , do not talk about their service, nor glorify it in any way.We didn't know my late father in law had been in the SBS until at his funeral.My grandfather was at the Falaise gap. I think he mentioned the horrendous carnage and the smell of death

Check out the title of the thread. If ppl don't want to hear opinions then they shouldn't ask for them
Your views on the British military on 11:25 - Mar 23 with 394 viewsBoundy

Your views on the British military on 11:09 - Mar 23 by onehunglow

So true Boundy.
In another capacity well away from my Police career,I interviewed young people and their perception of what we would term normal baffles them and many are so utterly naive it is painful to behold.

It is not uncommon for many to be fooked without their phone and would struggle to get anywhere in this country so ignorant are they .Getting out of bed for some and getting prepared for an interview travelling by public transport is a very big deal for some.

"Now.tell me something about yourself" .

Is it their fault though or society in general , parenting imo has been dumbed down . My kids bring up their kids with far less discipline than we as their parents did , not that we always got it right but basic manners were instilled such as can i leave the table on finishing a meal, now there's no table.

Your views on the British military on 11:27 - Mar 23 with 393 viewsonehunglow

Your views on the British military on 11:15 - Mar 23 by Catullus

I never served but that's how I see it. I used to have a colleague, ex Paras, big bloke, hard as nails. He only did favours for or helped those who would help others. Sh1t on him once and you never got a second chance. Team player he was, as long as the team pulled it's weight. There was also neverending banter

As you know,I have been asked to write a book but thus far haven't found the appliication needed.
I would have written account of an ex marine I worked with who had a reputation amongst the local shyte we worked. It was an affluent area primarily with one problem pub where the local d1ckheads liked to give it large.
This was one hardened vet who had seen much action and death. He didn't like criminals at all nor those who spoiled the evenings of those enjoying a quiet drink.
One afternoon , a large scale disturbance occurred and an old couple were abused and threatened. Our chum was deployed. We backed him up and came from distance. When we got there,the couple met us and thanked the officer for help and asked if they could leave without them making a statement .I asked why they would speak in those terms and they said I think a few will need hospital treatment a they looked poorly.

After that, as soon as the local bucks saw him they disappeared.

He controlled his patch somewhat.

Your views on the British military on 11:31 - Mar 23 with 391 viewscontroversial_jack

Your views on the British military on 11:25 - Mar 23 by Boundy

Is it their fault though or society in general , parenting imo has been dumbed down . My kids bring up their kids with far less discipline than we as their parents did , not that we always got it right but basic manners were instilled such as can i leave the table on finishing a meal, now there's no table.

We never really sat down together at the table. I worked shifts, my wife often worked part time. We still don't, but it's just me and the Mrs now. we eat different meals as we like different foods so tend to cook our own, except on a Sunday when she's not working and we will do a Sunday roast

I dislike bad table manners though. Talking and eating at the same time is a no no, however that;'s regularly shown on TV when actors have meals etc.
Your views on the British military on 11:45 - Mar 23 with 388 viewsCatullus

Your views on the British military on 11:27 - Mar 23 by onehunglow

As you know,I have been asked to write a book but thus far haven't found the appliication needed.
I would have written account of an ex marine I worked with who had a reputation amongst the local shyte we worked. It was an affluent area primarily with one problem pub where the local d1ckheads liked to give it large.
This was one hardened vet who had seen much action and death. He didn't like criminals at all nor those who spoiled the evenings of those enjoying a quiet drink.
One afternoon , a large scale disturbance occurred and an old couple were abused and threatened. Our chum was deployed. We backed him up and came from distance. When we got there,the couple met us and thanked the officer for help and asked if they could leave without them making a statement .I asked why they would speak in those terms and they said I think a few will need hospital treatment a they looked poorly.

After that, as soon as the local bucks saw him they disappeared.

He controlled his patch somewhat.

My mate did show me a few things in case I needed to defend myself

I think some people take military service for granted, specially those whose only experience is on an Xbox or PS where if you die you just start again, or buy a life!

I read my grandfathers letters home and it's very moving. Much of it redacted but emotion comes through, the worry about never coming home and about what's happening back home. Some of it redacted purely because it was too sad, the instruction being to try and send a positive message back home to help keep spitrits up. He couldn't tell where he was besides saying it was a field hospital after being injured in a big battle, that battle turned out to be El Alamein.
One of the letters was very moving, he asks his wife (my gran that I don't remember, died when I was a babe in arms) to stop going dancing. Turns out that was a very much understated way of telling her to stop shagging around. His mate from over the road was in his unit, his mates wife had written telling of my grans behaviour, the mesaage passed on. I can't imagine, you're away fighting the Nazi's and find out your wife is "enjoying" herself with other men. I expect that's always happened though.
The family don't speak very much of it because Grandpa didn't say much. Every now and then I learn a little bit more from my aunty, the only family member I still speak to. She has to correct some things along the way, memory isn't perfect.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024