Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everton 09:38 - Apr 20 with 3047 viewssolent_toffee

Not exactly sitting on the fence here....

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/breaking-everton-eu
Everton on 08:04 - Apr 22 with 662 viewsButty101

Everton on 07:53 - Apr 22 by SaintNick

I think it should be noted here that in the last few days Everton fans have been very prominent in the fight against the European Super League, I have seen plenty of other clubs supporters stand up and show solidarity, but I have yet to see a picture of even one single home made banner hung at St Mary's in protest.

So perhaps next time we slag off the fans of the Big Six and indeed other clubs, we should consider what we as fans have done in this battle.

The answer is sit back and moan about it on social media but do absolutely nothing.

Everton as a football club do a lot of work in the community as do Liverpool whose fan groups work tirelessly for the community and both groups work alongside each other.

25 years ago Saints had a proud tradition of fan group involvement, yet now we have nothing

Apathy comes from the top. Did you see the interview with GAO where he called the super league out. Me neither.

Thank god Liverpool fans alone saved us

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Everton on 08:39 - Apr 22 with 647 viewsSaintNick

Everton on 08:04 - Apr 22 by Butty101

Apathy comes from the top. Did you see the interview with GAO where he called the super league out. Me neither.

Thank god Liverpool fans alone saved us

Did you see the interview where Gao announced he was leveraging the club to get his £200 million back and demanded all funds from transfers be paid to him as owner ! No me neither.

People like yourself criticise Gao but we have seen this week just what sort of owners some clubs have and so far Gao has turned out to have Saints interests at heart a lot more than at least 6 owners in the Premier League.

Liverpool fans alone did not save us, but when this crisis arose they along with Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs and other clubs outside the big six rose up.

Before you criticise Gao you need to get the facts right, you need to gen up on the background in China and the situation where up to 3 years ago the government there was encouraging Chinese investment in sport including Premier League football clubs and then how that policy changed when China fell out with Trump and the West.

Do you think Gao just wanted to invest £200 million and then leave it doing nothing, ask yourself if his intentions were only financial, why has he not slowly got his money back by taking the money from transfer fees ?

Sorry Butty but you are just quoting the populist views ie all Liverpool fans are plastics, live hundreds of miles from Anfield and only watch it on TV and that Gao is an asset stripper.

Gao cannot comment at the moment, he is stuck in China in a country that is goading the west, threatening to invade Taiwan and in doing so possibly start a global conflict, all of this is easily googled.

So Gao would be silly to stat making press statements to the west.

If you want to debate things I.m happy with that, but glib statements about Gao not making statements or the usual not putting money in just show a lack of understanding of the situation that brought him to invest in Saints and how that situation has drastically changed

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Everton on 08:50 - Apr 22 with 636 viewssolent_toffee

I think it should be noted here that in the last few days Everton fans have been very prominent in the fight against the European Super League, I have seen plenty of other clubs supporters stand up and show solidarity, but I have yet to see a picture of even one single home made banner hung at St Mary's in protest.

So perhaps next time we slag off the fans of the Big Six and indeed other clubs, we should consider what we as fans have done in this battle.

The answer is sit back and moan about it on social media but do absolutely nothing.

Everton as a football club do a lot of work in the community as do Liverpool whose fan groups work tirelessly for the community and both groups work alongside each other.

25 years ago Saints had a proud tradition of fan group involvement, yet now we have nothing

I must admit on Tuesday morning when Jim White announced “coming up next, an exclusive interview with Farhad Moshiri” my heart sank a little. But he came across really well. I think Bill Kenwright did really well to choose him as the next Everton owner when he could have sold the club earlier as he had plenty of offers.

Moshiri’s appointment of Baxendale from CEO of Everton In The Community to CEO of the club has been brilliant. It’s cliche but it’s one club, no divisions and everyone in it together. Now Cynicalsaint will scoff at that, that’s fine, he doesn’t need to get it.

To be fair though Saints Foundation is excellent, but I’m not sure what the synergies are with the fans. Back in the day when I first moved down here and was working quite close with Saints, I got support from yourself Nick and UmPahars (where’s he these days?) I remember meeting Rupert Lowe and he was so suspicious of the supporter group involvement in my project that it was almost paranoia.

I remember having to deny all knowledge of knowing you a couple of times and then meeting you for a beer after!
Everton on 08:51 - Apr 22 with 636 viewscynicalsaint

eh?

this is nothing to do with fans - it's to do with the hypocrisy of club owners calling foul (in the name of the greater good of the game and the fans) when their place on the gravy train gets threatened.

seeing the architects of the premier league and then UEFA (!) claiming the moral high ground doesn't resonate with me i'm afraid.

i get toffee's point about 'all the good work' that clubs do in the local community - but that is ultimately window dressing which helps perpetuate the status quo. In some ways the actions of the big 6 are more authentic than the hand wringing we've seen from the clubs who were excluded and the players who have every reason to keep things as they are.
Everton on 10:08 - Apr 22 with 609 viewsSaintNick

Everton on 08:51 - Apr 22 by cynicalsaint

eh?

this is nothing to do with fans - it's to do with the hypocrisy of club owners calling foul (in the name of the greater good of the game and the fans) when their place on the gravy train gets threatened.

seeing the architects of the premier league and then UEFA (!) claiming the moral high ground doesn't resonate with me i'm afraid.

i get toffee's point about 'all the good work' that clubs do in the local community - but that is ultimately window dressing which helps perpetuate the status quo. In some ways the actions of the big 6 are more authentic than the hand wringing we've seen from the clubs who were excluded and the players who have every reason to keep things as they are.

Nothing to do with fans !!!!!!!

Have you watched the news read the statements, seen that the Government is committed to a "fan led" review of football.

The club owners have tried to get away with something and have been thwarted from all sides including the fans .

If you read the FSA statement I have put up on the home page then you will see that nothing is being dressed up, fans groups understand that merely preserving the status quo changes nothing things have to be done now

People can either sit back and be cynical or they can stand up and be counted

Everton on 10:24 - Apr 22 with 601 viewscynicalsaint

Everton on 10:08 - Apr 22 by SaintNick

Nothing to do with fans !!!!!!!

Have you watched the news read the statements, seen that the Government is committed to a "fan led" review of football.

The club owners have tried to get away with something and have been thwarted from all sides including the fans .

If you read the FSA statement I have put up on the home page then you will see that nothing is being dressed up, fans groups understand that merely preserving the status quo changes nothing things have to be done now

People can either sit back and be cynical or they can stand up and be counted

You either misunderstood or didn't read my previous posts on this thread which, as i said, are nothing to do with the fans. They were about the hypocrisy of owners.

I agree that the real issue is all about the fans.

My sense is that until the whole ownership model changes then any protests are just shuffling deckchairs. 50+1 is the minimum requirement to see a shift in the power dynamic / a return to the real sporting competition that i am sure all of us would like to see.

To your point though a favourite quote springs to mind - "withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy".

It's a money game - starve the owners of that and then see what happens.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 10:41]
Everton on 12:15 - Apr 22 with 560 viewsSaintNick

Everton on 10:24 - Apr 22 by cynicalsaint

You either misunderstood or didn't read my previous posts on this thread which, as i said, are nothing to do with the fans. They were about the hypocrisy of owners.

I agree that the real issue is all about the fans.

My sense is that until the whole ownership model changes then any protests are just shuffling deckchairs. 50+1 is the minimum requirement to see a shift in the power dynamic / a return to the real sporting competition that i am sure all of us would like to see.

To your point though a favourite quote springs to mind - "withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy".

It's a money game - starve the owners of that and then see what happens.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2021 10:41]

Apologies if i misunderstood anything, no one is doubting the hypocrisy of the owners, read the FSA statement, all we have done so far is appeasement, we have kept the status quo and that was not acceptable going forward before the ESL so shouldnt be now.

We should not underestimate what happened in the last few days, but it is only a battle won and not the war.

The Football Supporters Association are at the forefront and are speaking to the government and there will be a fan led review of football.

FSA link below, it is free to join everyone should be a member

https://thefsa.org.uk/

The real problem is changing ownership models, those who glibly say "Gao Out" don't understand the position it is not 1995 when Guy Askham could almost be bought out with a whip round. Gao is looking for his money back £200 million and that is fair enough.

If we wanted to buy 51 % then that would be around £1,800 a head based on our supporter base of around 50,000, that would be do able given the right organisation, but look at how Pompey struggled to get a fraction of that figure despite being the best supported club in the World and a few years later they all voted to sell it to an american millionaire

To end on a quote " All that it takes for evil to triumph if for good men to do nothing "

Yes withdrawal in disgust is not apathy, but if you stand by and do nothing it is just passing the buck and hoping that others will do something

Everton on 12:44 - Apr 22 with 553 viewscynicalsaint

Everton on 12:15 - Apr 22 by SaintNick

Apologies if i misunderstood anything, no one is doubting the hypocrisy of the owners, read the FSA statement, all we have done so far is appeasement, we have kept the status quo and that was not acceptable going forward before the ESL so shouldnt be now.

We should not underestimate what happened in the last few days, but it is only a battle won and not the war.

The Football Supporters Association are at the forefront and are speaking to the government and there will be a fan led review of football.

FSA link below, it is free to join everyone should be a member

https://thefsa.org.uk/

The real problem is changing ownership models, those who glibly say "Gao Out" don't understand the position it is not 1995 when Guy Askham could almost be bought out with a whip round. Gao is looking for his money back £200 million and that is fair enough.

If we wanted to buy 51 % then that would be around £1,800 a head based on our supporter base of around 50,000, that would be do able given the right organisation, but look at how Pompey struggled to get a fraction of that figure despite being the best supported club in the World and a few years later they all voted to sell it to an american millionaire

To end on a quote " All that it takes for evil to triumph if for good men to do nothing "

Yes withdrawal in disgust is not apathy, but if you stand by and do nothing it is just passing the buck and hoping that others will do something

100% agree with all of that.

The system is broken - football will never be what we want it to be if it perpetuates so joining the FSA to participate in a more meaningful dialogue is to be applauded.

I'd go further and suggest people cancel their Sky and BT Sport subscription, forego the season ticket and the 'magastore' for a while.

No point raging against the monster when it's your hard earned that is feeding it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024