Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Euro Thread 07:00 - Jun 12 with 1782 viewsinthebox

Well I absolutely loved that game, Italy showing everyone how to play the press, a team with a good mix of experience and energy.
Euro Thread on 08:53 - Jun 12 with 1722 viewsA1079

My top for winning it. They have been very quiet leading upto the tournament with some good results and a defence that leaks very few goals - I think they have gone something like 8 games without conceding - we could only ever dream of that without Saints.

I didn't watch the game though half expecting it to be a typical dull opening game which is often the case (though it sounds like this wasn't) and the weather was too nice to be stuck indoors.
Euro Thread on 09:59 - Jun 12 with 1671 viewsdirk_doone

Italy were impressive. They don't mess around with passing sideways amd backwards in their own half or getting bogged down in the centre of the pitch. They play those diagonal passes out to their wings and are in their opponent's half immediately, constantly threatening and stretching their defence. Of course, they have some classic iconic Italian players, like Insigne and Immobile, which helps.

Also, whenever I see a European tournament I notice how much better the referees are than the ones we have here in the Premier League. I'm sure Mike Dean would have managed to ruin that game.

On a Saints-related note, what a transformation there was at Man City when the current Italy manager, Roberto Mancini, replaced Mark Hughes. But, Mancini still described this as the worst defeat ever by one of his teams:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21311313

[Post edited 12 Jun 2021 10:25]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Euro Thread on 10:31 - Jun 12 with 1646 viewscocklebreath

They were very good but I’ve just stuck 20 notes on Belgium at 7/1, team full of class

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Euro Thread on 10:57 - Jun 12 with 1631 viewsSonicBoom

They were impressive in a way, their passing was very accurate. I'm not sure they can play anything like that against the better teams. Younger quicker strikers are going to be a handful for their ancient centre backs. Also Turkey were terrible. They seemed to have no idea from start to finish.
The first half was just Italy camped outside their box but they barely made a chance. In the second half Turkey ran out of gas and couldn't keep chasing the ball and closing the spaces.

It will be really interesting to see if Italy are really contenders when they play a team tat pushes back on them.
Euro Thread on 10:57 - Jun 12 with 1629 viewsSonicBoom

...plus Italy in all white was really weird.
Euro Thread on 17:09 - Jun 12 with 1514 viewsdirk_doone

Tim Sparv, another Southampton academy product, playing in the Euros today, last seen at St Mary's, scoring for Midtjylland when they knocked us out of the Europa League..
[Post edited 12 Jun 2021 17:12]

Euro Thread on 17:20 - Jun 12 with 1496 viewsBerber

Euro Thread on 10:57 - Jun 12 by SonicBoom

They were impressive in a way, their passing was very accurate. I'm not sure they can play anything like that against the better teams. Younger quicker strikers are going to be a handful for their ancient centre backs. Also Turkey were terrible. They seemed to have no idea from start to finish.
The first half was just Italy camped outside their box but they barely made a chance. In the second half Turkey ran out of gas and couldn't keep chasing the ball and closing the spaces.

It will be really interesting to see if Italy are really contenders when they play a team tat pushes back on them.

It is true that Turkey didn't look very good, but that was largely down to the Italians being fitter faster and more aggressive in the press. Turkey have some very good players, and showed it in flashes, but were unable to get the space to do anything.

I doubt that Italy can play this way for the whole tournament, the same as Southampton not being able to do it for more than a third of the season. Their quick passing interplay was lovely to watch though.
Euro Thread on 17:48 - Jun 12 with 1483 viewsdirk_doone

It looks like Christian Eriksen has collapsed and died. The Danish players are all crying. Looks like the game is over.

Poor chap. He's only 29.

[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 18:44]

Login to get fewer ads

Euro Thread on 17:58 - Jun 12 with 1464 viewsbattler

It certainly does not good, they've been giving him CPR for over 10 minutes now.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2021 17:58]
Euro Thread on 17:59 - Jun 12 with 1458 viewscocklebreath

That’s horrible, so sad.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Euro Thread on 18:00 - Jun 12 with 1457 viewsSaintsforeverj

Euro Thread on 17:48 - Jun 12 by dirk_doone

It looks like Christian Eriksen has collapsed and died. The Danish players are all crying. Looks like the game is over.

Poor chap. He's only 29.

Poor guy. It doesn't look good.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Euro Thread on 18:33 - Jun 12 with 1379 viewsSaintsforeverj

Apparently he is stable and has been transferred to hospital. So good news hopefully.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Euro Thread on 19:27 - Jun 12 with 1337 viewssaint22

Euro Thread on 17:48 - Jun 12 by dirk_doone

Poor chap. He's only 29.

You can’t just post that people have died unless you know
Euro Thread on 20:08 - Jun 12 with 1315 viewsinthebox

He's OK, awake in hospital, game resumes.
Euro Thread on 20:16 - Jun 12 with 1293 viewsdirk_doone

Euro Thread on 19:27 - Jun 12 by saint22

You can’t just post that people have died unless you know

I didn't. I said "it looks like".

Anyway, hopefully, you'll get over it with counselling. There should be a number you can call at the end of the match.

I see the Premier League ref is attempting to ruin the game by rewarding a dive with a penalty.

Euro Thread on 21:11 - Jun 12 with 1227 viewssaint22

Euro Thread on 20:16 - Jun 12 by dirk_doone

I didn't. I said "it looks like".

Anyway, hopefully, you'll get over it with counselling. There should be a number you can call at the end of the match.

I see the Premier League ref is attempting to ruin the game by rewarding a dive with a penalty.

But sensational though
Badly injured would have done
Euro Thread on 12:51 - Jun 13 with 1068 viewsBison

Euro Thread on 21:11 - Jun 12 by saint22

But sensational though
Badly injured would have done

Badly injured ????

They only give CPR if there is no heartbeat.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Euro Thread on 18:43 - Jun 13 with 1003 viewsdirk_doone

Euro Thread on 12:51 - Jun 13 by Bison

Badly injured ????

They only give CPR if there is no heartbeat.

"He was gone. We did cardiac resuscitation, it was a cardiac arrest," said Morten Boesen, the team doctor.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 19:00]

Euro Thread on 18:59 - Jun 13 with 990 views1885_SFC

Euro Thread on 18:43 - Jun 13 by dirk_doone

"He was gone. We did cardiac resuscitation, it was a cardiac arrest," said Morten Boesen, the team doctor.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 19:00]

What's the Austrian team doctor doing in Copenhagen?

That's dedication for you.

Old School is Cool

Euro Thread on 19:01 - Jun 13 with 985 viewsdirk_doone

Euro Thread on 18:59 - Jun 13 by 1885_SFC

What's the Austrian team doctor doing in Copenhagen?

That's dedication for you.

I was watching the Austria game when I posted that and ended up with crossed threads. I should have stuck with the original from the BBC Sport site, which was, "He was gone. We did cardiac resuscitation, it was a cardiac arrest," said Boesen.

I guess that will be the end of his football career but it's a miracle he's still alive so he and his family will be counting their blessings.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 19:09]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024