Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v jocks game thread 19:30 - Jun 18 with 3292 viewsWinchesterExile

Mistake not having JWP playing. Scotland will defend deep at times and are bound concede a free kick or two around the box. Going to be pissed off if they’re wasted.

Much as I can’t stand most of our team, come on England.
England v jocks game thread on 22:26 - Jun 18 with 1129 viewsSadoldgit

England v jocks game thread on 21:53 - Jun 18 by dirk_doone

Classic Southgate: fearful and dull.

When he should have gone for it and taken off one of his defensive midfielders, he took off Foden. Then, instead of bringing on the in-form striker, Calvert-Lewin to score a goal he made a politically correct substitution and brought on Rashford.

But, more by luck than judgement, that was the perfect result to get us the coveted runners-up spot. All we need to do is draw with the Czechs as their better goal difference will make them winners of the group and give them the terrible draw that nobody wants, while we'll get Sweden.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 21:56]

According to your logic, bringing Calvert'-Lewis would have been a “politically correct” substitution too.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 22:27]
England v jocks game thread on 22:33 - Jun 18 with 1113 viewsdirk_doone

England v jocks game thread on 22:26 - Jun 18 by Sadoldgit

According to your logic, bringing Calvert'-Lewis would have been a “politically correct” substitution too.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 22:27]

My logic is that all the hype about Rashford being a role model, rather than pure football considerations, have put him ahead of Calvert-Lewin in the queue. That's the way Southgate is.

So, no, Calvert-Lewin would have been the best sub from a purely football point of view, as, based on form, he was the most likely to score a goal against a team like Scotland.

Even the pundits tonight when they talked about the possibility of replacing Kane in the next game only mentioned Calvert-Lewin. Nobody even considered Rashford.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2021 10:27]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

England v jocks game thread on 23:13 - Jun 18 with 1025 viewsHeisenberg

England v jocks game thread on 22:33 - Jun 18 by dirk_doone

My logic is that all the hype about Rashford being a role model, rather than pure football considerations, have put him ahead of Calvert-Lewin in the queue. That's the way Southgate is.

So, no, Calvert-Lewin would have been the best sub from a purely football point of view, as, based on form, he was the most likely to score a goal against a team like Scotland.

Even the pundits tonight when they talked about the possibility of replacing Kane in the next game only mentioned Calvert-Lewin. Nobody even considered Rashford.

So you think Southgate chose Rashford because he highlighted the issue of children not having enough food to eat ? I think you should call into 606 with that one. I could do with a laugh.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

England v jocks game thread on 23:40 - Jun 18 with 1006 viewsDorsetIan

There was neither quality NOR passion from the team tonight.

With so many talented players available and against our oldest foe, that really is some achievement.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

England v jocks game thread on 00:15 - Jun 19 with 972 viewsdirk_doone

England v jocks game thread on 23:13 - Jun 18 by Heisenberg

So you think Southgate chose Rashford because he highlighted the issue of children not having enough food to eat ? I think you should call into 606 with that one. I could do with a laugh.

What a great idea. Keep your ear pinned to your radio.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

England v jocks game thread on 02:03 - Jun 19 with 949 viewsBicester_North

England v jocks game thread on 23:13 - Jun 18 by Heisenberg

Are you going to get a refund on that pretend Romeu shirt for your pretend kid?

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

England v jocks game thread on 02:21 - Jun 19 with 943 viewscocklebreath

England played like a bad saints team with much better player’s, therefore Southgate is as we all knew a clueless coont

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

England v jocks game thread on 06:14 - Jun 19 with 912 viewsBuenosSaint

England v jocks game thread on 02:21 - Jun 19 by cocklebreath

England played like a bad saints team with much better player’s, therefore Southgate is as we all knew a clueless coont

Mate if mine said that was like watching Puel manage England.

Poll: The Long Future

Login to get fewer ads

England v jocks game thread on 08:09 - Jun 19 with 851 viewsinthebox

Southgate knows that the Scots are a good team with the potential of winning so he went defensive just get a tricky game out the way. That's my optimistic take anyway.
England v jocks game thread on 09:47 - Jun 19 with 796 viewsSadoldgit

England v jocks game thread on 22:33 - Jun 18 by dirk_doone

Sorry, but I think that is utter nonsense. I’m no fan of Southgate but that is really a dumb thing to say. Perhaps you could conjure up a silly conspiracy theory as to why he hasn’t started Grealish yet? Is it perhaps because he has Irish connections?
England v jocks game thread on 10:01 - Jun 19 with 790 viewsSadoldgit

England v jocks game thread on 08:09 - Jun 19 by inthebox

Southgate knows that the Scots are a good team with the potential of winning so he went defensive just get a tricky game out the way. That's my optimistic take anyway.

The Scots are always well up for this game and play with a lot more passion than we do. To be fair to them they upped their game last night and put in a proper team performance, something they didn’t do against Croatia. You are probably right, we were set up not to lose, same as the Croatia game. Why take off Foden for Grealish and Kane for Rashford? Foden and Grealish together would have been a handful, and one of Rice or Phillips could have made way. We weren’t finding Kane in dangerous positions and didn’t find Rashford. The Scots played well defensively but where was the attacking flair that we see from these players every week in the EPL? We played safe and we played to keep the ball. If Southgate doesn’t loosen up and let people play to their ability rather to same safe plan we are not going much further.
Some of us of a certain age will remember the great Joe Mercer as a short term caretaker manager for England. He put in so called “flare” players like Tony Currie and Alan Hudson at a time when running and work rate were the thing. Not only were we a joy to watch, the players played with freedom and creativity and we also won football matches.
We have the players to play on par with France, Italy and Portugal, but they are coached within an inch of their lives to play dull, defensive football by a dull, defensive manager.
England v jocks game thread on 12:17 - Jun 19 with 739 viewsSaintsforeverj

Southgate is very pragmatic and was probably happy with the point that will almost see us over the line, so didn't go for it. England might be more adventurous when they need to be, in the later rounds. Is it possible that whilst a team like Scotland will be knackered, England will have saved some energy for the later rounds by being pragmatic? But like has been said, it's so defensive and boring for a team that is full of attacking talent. Similarities between this England team and Saints under Puel - afraid of losing, sitting back, not going for it, but getting a result though.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2021 12:21]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

England v jocks game thread on 12:25 - Jun 19 with 736 viewscynicalsaint

surprised no-one has mentioned the one real bright spot from last nights game.

graeme souness' teeth.

wtf?
England v jocks game thread on 12:39 - Jun 19 with 728 viewsSadoldgit

England v jocks game thread on 12:25 - Jun 19 by cynicalsaint

graeme souness' teeth.

wtf?

I was thinking that too. Very strange. He seems to have had more work done!
England v jocks game thread on 12:42 - Jun 19 with 716 viewsSadoldgit

England v jocks game thread on 12:17 - Jun 19 by Saintsforeverj

Southgate is very pragmatic and was probably happy with the point that will almost see us over the line, so didn't go for it. England might be more adventurous when they need to be, in the later rounds. Is it possible that whilst a team like Scotland will be knackered, England will have saved some energy for the later rounds by being pragmatic? But like has been said, it's so defensive and boring for a team that is full of attacking talent. Similarities between this England team and Saints under Puel - afraid of losing, sitting back, not going for it, but getting a result though.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2021 12:21]

It’s a shame. You can understand league managers operating that way but when you have a wealth of talent to call on it just doesn’t make sense to me. Someone said last night if you don’t win, make sure you don’t lose. From that perspective it was a positive, but we really should be aiming higher with our resources.
England v jocks game thread on 12:47 - Jun 19 with 711 viewsBerber

England v jocks game thread on 21:34 - Jun 18 by grumpy

Foden and Kane off,2 of our best players,does Southgate know what he is doing?😡

I agree that they are two of our best players, but based on performances on the night, Foden was harshly treated, being much more proactive and dangerous than Mount, and prominent than the invisible Rice. Kane on the other hand never got a look in, was never a threat, and hardly ever visible and available to receive the ball, despite the number of times he dropped back. After the last game, I'm not sure if he should have even started, and certainly should have been hooked at half time.
England v jocks game thread on 12:51 - Jun 19 with 706 viewsSaintsforeverj

England v jocks game thread on 12:42 - Jun 19 by Sadoldgit

It’s a shame. You can understand league managers operating that way but when you have a wealth of talent to call on it just doesn’t make sense to me. Someone said last night if you don’t win, make sure you don’t lose. From that perspective it was a positive, but we really should be aiming higher with our resources.

Yep it's a shame but I do wonder though if there might be a clever method to the madness. Saving energy for the moment, saving our top players in the early stages, just getting the points we need, and then really going for it when we need to, in the later rounds, when other more passionate teams are getting tired. It is boring and it is a shame, but I am holding judgment from being too critical yet, until we see what happens. England will likely go out to Italy, France, Belgium later on, let's be honest but that is no different under any manager. Maybe Southgate is trying a more pragmatic approach to change our fortunes, but his subs yesterday were dreadful. Nonetheless, we shall see.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2021 12:53]

England v jocks game thread on 12:54 - Jun 19 with 703 viewscocklebreath

England v jocks game thread on 12:25 - Jun 19 by cynicalsaint

graeme souness' teeth.

wtf?

Same dentist as Brendan. Beautiful

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

England v jocks game thread on 12:57 - Jun 19 with 702 viewsgrumpy

England v jocks game thread on 12:47 - Jun 19 by Berber

I agree that they are two of our best players, but based on performances on the night, Foden was harshly treated, being much more proactive and dangerous than Mount, and prominent than the invisible Rice. Kane on the other hand never got a look in, was never a threat, and hardly ever visible and available to receive the ball, despite the number of times he dropped back. After the last game, I'm not sure if he should have even started, and certainly should have been hooked at half time.

Kane was poor on the night so I'm inclined to agree with you on that.Foden on the other hand was ridiculous, he was at the heart of every attacking move.
I would have liked to have seen Grealish and Foden start but hey ho you cant have too many skilful players on the pitch at the same time.
Southgate wouldn't inspire me to get out of bed on a sunny day.
England v jocks game thread on 13:02 - Jun 19 with 699 viewsSaintsforeverj

England v jocks game thread on 12:57 - Jun 19 by grumpy

Kane was poor on the night so I'm inclined to agree with you on that.Foden on the other hand was ridiculous, he was at the heart of every attacking move.
I would have liked to have seen Grealish and Foden start but hey ho you cant have too many skilful players on the pitch at the same time.

Might be good to see how far we get though before slating Southgate too much yet! It's a marathon, not a race so let's see. Although he is a wally for not picking Ward-Prowse!
[Post edited 19 Jun 2021 13:04]

England v jocks game thread on 18:34 - Jun 19 with 634 viewsBerber

England v jocks game thread on 12:57 - Jun 19 by grumpy

The big question is now is who he starts on Tuesday, and how they respond. My bet is he will go with pretty much the same starting 11 and will not change before half time. My prediction is that Sterling will continue to take one too many touches, but Southgate will stick with him to the end (and it may be the end for Southgate).
England v jocks game thread on 18:56 - Jun 19 with 631 viewsgrumpy

England v jocks game thread on 18:34 - Jun 19 by Berber

The big question is now is who he starts on Tuesday, and how they respond. My bet is he will go with pretty much the same starting 11 and will not change before half time. My prediction is that Sterling will continue to take one too many touches, but Southgate will stick with him to the end (and it may be the end for Southgate).

Sterling reminds me of a slightly better version of Redmond.
We have the players in this country to compete at the highest level but when it comes to the management we do not.
England v jocks game thread on 20:10 - Jun 19 with 608 viewsBicester_North

England v jocks game thread on 18:56 - Jun 19 by grumpy

Sterling reminds me of a slightly better version of Redmond.
We have the players in this country to compete at the highest level but when it comes to the management we do not.

I think not only do we have a weak manager, we also are cursed with the thickest, least motivated squad. The jocks were motivated and played for their country. Ours were probably practicing their fortnite celebrations or spending their time talking to their agents about advertising deals to keep raking the money in, or maybe on the phone to their club handyman as they heard a lightbulb had blown at home
[Post edited 19 Jun 2021 20:11]

England v jocks game thread on 20:13 - Jun 19 with 604 viewsBicester_North

England v jocks game thread on 02:21 - Jun 19 by cocklebreath

But Southgate did the best ghost written statement out of all the managers saying how proud he was of all the guys

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024