Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread 13:35 - Aug 7 with 28013 viewsboromat

To all you lucky fans with tickets have a great away day today we've waited long enough and with everything going on off the pitch win, lose or draw have a belting day!

For those of us not lucky enough here's a Match Thread.

Up the Dale Not for Sale

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 05:56 - Aug 9 with 2304 viewsJessie

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 15:10 - Aug 8 by kel

Can I also add by the way that your command of the English language for a Chinese person is incredible? My Brother lives in Shanghai and teaches English and I reckon he’ll do very well if he can get one of his students to speak as well as you do.

Thank you
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 5:58]
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 09:29 - Aug 9 with 2037 viewskel

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 05:56 - Aug 9 by Jessie

Thank you
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 5:58]

You’re welcome.

What was it that interested a Chinese Charlton fan enough to watch a television drama about child abuse in a Northern English town? Elbow are from bury by the way but I expect you know that already.
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 09:47 - Aug 9 with 1975 viewsDaleiLama

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 09:29 - Aug 9 by kel

You’re welcome.

What was it that interested a Chinese Charlton fan enough to watch a television drama about child abuse in a Northern English town? Elbow are from bury by the way but I expect you know that already.

HMS piss the league

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 10:11 - Aug 9 with 1908 viewsDaleiLama

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 14:35 - Aug 8 by Jessie

Such a great post! No need to say sorry at all. I loved reading it.

Actually I'm Chinese and never been to other countries. My knowledge about Rochdale is limited - I watched the TV series Three Girls a few years ago (which unfortunately depicted the dark side of the town) and was a big fan of Elbow, the Manchester band who once recorded a song named 'Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl'. That's all. Following Stockdale's career now gives me the opportunity to look closely at League Two which I'm not familiar with. I support Charlton and always tend to have a soft spot for small clubs/underdogs. I've also noticed over the years that smaller clubs usually have a more friendlier fanbase.

By the way - sorry to go off topic but I can't resist to ask about your nickname and avatar - looks like you're a fan of Dalai Lama?

Well, I hope we'll be playing you next year and you can make a trip up to Spotland and combine seeing your team playing a Robbie X1 (assuming you don't get promoted)!

Apart from agreeing with the general philosophies of HHDL, I can't proclaim to be a fan of him. Here's how I chose the "handle" which will give you a little insight into some other posters too if you plan on posting on here regularly.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/274118/thread-names/#22

The avatar (co-incidentally) was me imagining HHDL sat in the main stand watching Joe Thompson's season saving goal. Don't know how long you've been following the Addicks but maybe you remember it? We'll never forget it.

The goal

The farewell

The story

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/21/rochdale-joe-thompson-cancer

Fair to say JT is a cult hero amongst Daleys for what he did in every sense.

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 10:30 - Aug 9 with 1852 viewsNigeriamark

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 16:24 - Aug 8 by Brierls

I think a lot of the frustration is coming from the game being there for the taking. It was a terrible start but once we settled I thought we looked to have more quality and threat. I was still confident of getting a result even when 2-1 down because we looked better than Harrogate.

The only reason Jim started was to have an experienced head alongside an inexperienced one, yet Jim was the one who’s head (and feet) weren’t at the races. Throw Morley into the mix with a terribly slow reaction and touch, a great finish it has to be said, and we’re 2-0 down before breaking a sweat.

Once we steadied ourselves I thought we played some good stuff. I think we’ll create chances and we’ll learn to defend better as a unit.

Players..

Lynch - Thought he did OK but the third goal comes from a ball not being dealt with in the box. Would a better/taller keeper come and collect that? *Edit* I’ve been harsh on Lynch about coming for the ball for the goal, but I am left wondering how many legs it went through for him not to react to the shot.

O’Keefe - Had a shaky start but grew into the game. I thought he looked better at left back than right back but that’s probably more to do with settling down.

White - Looks steady and dependable. Didn’t offer much going forward but I think he showed his positional sense is good.

McNulty - Let’s not dress this up, that was a calamitous first half. You can have all the experience in the world, but if you can’t use it to your advantage what’s the point. I don’t want any of our younger players learning from what he does on the pitch.

Taylor - Thought he started very tentatively, which is understandable when your senior partner is all over the place. He improved as the game went on but he’s not afraid of a physical battle.

Morley - Too slow and still desperately low on confidence. If a new season, a new manager, and the captains armband (what???) isn’t going to raise his game then I don’t know what will. He does have ability with he ball, no doubt, but I have serious concerns about how useful he is when we don’t.

Grant - He oozes quality and took his goal very well. He’s going to be a big player for us this season. He’ll improve his decision making the more he plays. All our best play came through him.

Dooley - He’s nowhere near as bad as some make out. He had a decent game and he creates in and around the opposition box. We’d have been home and hosed if he scored his chance but I’ve yet to see the replay on how much time he had.

Newby - A really positive start. He had more end product than we saw last season and it was a clever finish for his goal. One of the first names on the team sheet on that performance.

Odoh - He impressed me. Quick feet, good pace and runs well with he ball. Could maybe have more end product but that will come. It’s a shame he was forced off with a knock.

Beesley - Covered every blade of grass as we’d expect, but won pretty much everything in the air too. Didn’t really have any clear opportunities but his holdup play was good.

Subs…

Graham - Looked dominant. Don’t think he lost a header and his passing was decent. He’d replace Jim for me.
Cashman - Comfortable on the ball and a good touch. Expect him to rotate with Odoh.
Broadbent - Didn’t see much of the ball but got forward a few times and not afraid to shoot.

Stockdale’s post match interview is great. As has been pointed out by many since his appointment, he doesn’t dress anything up and says it how it is. We’ll need that and it’s welcome.

Special mention for those taking and throwing flares…you are as thick as pig shit. They look shit, you get more effect from a vape. Today it resulted in a delay that completely killed the momentum after scoring. Well done, you made us look tinpot AND had a negative effect on the game. Hopefully the club will take a harsh stance on these idiots and issue banning orders when identified.

#upthedalenotforsale
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 18:47]

Good post. As you allude to, the biggest disappointment was that Harrogate didn't even look to be a good side, just had a few players who were a real nuisance without much quality. EOC would probably have made the difference although he couldn't have prevented Morley's miss kick that led to their second. I will assume that the defending can only improve & I was encouraged by us going forward. 3 or 4 signings will certainly help but there is a decent core of players there at this level
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 15:04 - Aug 9 with 1525 viewsJessie

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 09:29 - Aug 9 by kel

You’re welcome.

I watched Little Boy Blue first and loved it. Then I saw on a website which was similar to IMDB that Three Girls was listed on Little Boy Blue's page as 'TV series you'll also like if you enjoyed this one' so I went on to watch Three Girls. I have to say what was shown in the series was quite shocking....

As for Elbow.... I read a few articles in which Guy Garvey talked a lot about Manchester so I always thought they were from Manchester.
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 15:27 - Aug 9 with 1480 viewsJessie

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 10:11 - Aug 9 by DaleiLama

Well, I hope we'll be playing you next year and you can make a trip up to Spotland and combine seeing your team playing a Robbie X1 (assuming you don't get promoted)!

Apart from agreeing with the general philosophies of HHDL, I can't proclaim to be a fan of him. Here's how I chose the "handle" which will give you a little insight into some other posters too if you plan on posting on here regularly.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/274118/thread-names/#22

The avatar (co-incidentally) was me imagining HHDL sat in the main stand watching Joe Thompson's season saving goal. Don't know how long you've been following the Addicks but maybe you remember it? We'll never forget it.

The goal

The farewell

The story

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/21/rochdale-joe-thompson-cancer

Fair to say JT is a cult hero amongst Daleys for what he did in every sense.

I certainly hope you will get promoted this season!! I'm not sure where we will be though. No doubt I hope for promotion to the Championship but it is really really difficult. If Covid-19 had never happened, I'd be seriously considering travelling from my country to England for a Charlton game or two. It was in my list of things to do a couple of years ago but because of the outbreak of the pandemic, I think it'll at least be another three years before I'm willing to take the risk to travel abroad....

I started to support Charlton since 2004. I remember we lost to you on the final day of season 2017/18. I knew it would be a difficult game considering you were in a relegation battle. I didn't know about Joe Thompson. Great article on the Guardian (and great videos). Thanks for sharing.
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 15:47 - Aug 9 with 1418 viewsDaleiLama

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 15:27 - Aug 9 by Jessie

I certainly hope you will get promoted this season!! I'm not sure where we will be though. No doubt I hope for promotion to the Championship but it is really really difficult. If Covid-19 had never happened, I'd be seriously considering travelling from my country to England for a Charlton game or two. It was in my list of things to do a couple of years ago but because of the outbreak of the pandemic, I think it'll at least be another three years before I'm willing to take the risk to travel abroad....

I started to support Charlton since 2004. I remember we lost to you on the final day of season 2017/18. I knew it would be a difficult game considering you were in a relegation battle. I didn't know about Joe Thompson. Great article on the Guardian (and great videos). Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome.

My mistake - I thought you were based here now and an ex-pat. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious about - restrictions I have an Italian colleague in Shanghai who lives a large part of the year there and he can't access Twitter and other social media and has no Google access. Do you have similar restrictions and is there regionality to them, or is it State controlled at a national level? I also follow American Football and remember when I first started in the mid 80s how difficult it was to follow a team on another continent back then. The internet has opened everything up, but I was curious how it was for you following Charlton from China based on Massimo's experience? Also, if you don't mind me asking, why Charlton and not Man Utd like seemingly most other Chinese ?

Login to get fewer ads

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 14:57 - Aug 10 with 1073 viewsJessie

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 15:47 - Aug 9 by DaleiLama

You're welcome.

My mistake - I thought you were based here now and an ex-pat. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I'm just curious about - restrictions I have an Italian colleague in Shanghai who lives a large part of the year there and he can't access Twitter and other social media and has no Google access. Do you have similar restrictions and is there regionality to them, or is it State controlled at a national level? I also follow American Football and remember when I first started in the mid 80s how difficult it was to follow a team on another continent back then. The internet has opened everything up, but I was curious how it was for you following Charlton from China based on Massimo's experience? Also, if you don't mind me asking, why Charlton and not Man Utd like seemingly most other Chinese ?

Ha, please forgive me I can't say much regarding restrictions but yes it's the same all around the country. I live in a city near Shanghai (an hour by train).

Yes it's difficult to follow a club on another continent and one of the major issues for me apart from not being able to attend games is the time difference. The UK is 7/8 hours behind Beijing. When I was a teenager I stayed up late on every match day/night to listen to audio commentary on the BBC website. We were in the Prem back then and I got to watch live Charlton games on TV a few times each season. Then we were relegated to the Championship and later League One and I'd be lucky if I could watch more than one game live every year. Nowadays, live Twitter feed, the Match Thread on our forum and match reports are the main sources of game information for me. But the time difference has become a headache as I find it hard to cope with the negative effects of staying up late.

As for why not the big clubs... I've probably been asked this question a hundred times over the years. The short answer is, like I said I always have a soft spot for smaller clubs and in my eyes Charlton's achievements under difficult financial circumstances from the 80's to the early 2000's are as great as winning trophies in the top flight. We almost lost our home ground in the 80's but managed to get back eventually under the great Alan Curbishley. A few years later we got to the Premier League and became a role model for middle/small sized clubs. When I learned all that in the early 2000's I got really interested and started to follow this club.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024