Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread 13:35 - Aug 7 with 28146 viewsboromat

To all you lucky fans with tickets have a great away day today we've waited long enough and with everything going on off the pitch win, lose or draw have a belting day!

For those of us not lucky enough here's a Match Thread.

Up the Dale Not for Sale

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 23:07 - Aug 7 with 4235 viewsmikehunt

So losing in the 90th minute to a goal from a poorly defended corner after battling back into the match. Some things never change.
However, my glass is half full tonight. We had some really good spells of pressure and they defended really well. But for the bad start we would have got something from the game.
Our defence looked a bit ragged though, as every time they broke forward they looked like they might score. I'm giving the lads the benefit of the doubt here, as they might have only met each other for the first time on the pitch today for all I know.
Yes, Jim was at fault for the first and the ball was passed straight to one of theirs for the second. We really looked shell shocked in defence during those 10 minutes. EOC and Keohane would have made a massive difference. I think.
Dooley is an enigma. There are flashes of brilliance displayed but for the majority of a game he is a liability. I am getting fed up witnessing this now. He can't have many chances left to impress.
Odoh will be a great player once he manages to find a player with the ball after one of his runs.
Graham is a unit and I am looking forward to seeing him play, although I thought he was a bit shaky for the few minutes he was on today.
In general, we were the architects of our own downfall: sloppy play gifting them the ball which they were only too happy to seize upon and cause us trouble.
One thing for sure though this league ain't going to be a doddle.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 23:19 - Aug 7 with 4178 viewsJames1980

Jim definitely gives the ball away for the move that resulted in their first but looking at the 'highlights' three other players could have done better to prevent them scoring.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 23:23 - Aug 7 with 4160 viewsNewbury_Dale

Armstrong was pretty limited but a big strong lump who put himself about. Absolutely terrorised McNulty early on, he couldn't cope. Odoh and Beasley the only real bright spots for me, although Taylor improved. I thought we really missed the workrate and closing down of Rathbone today.
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 23:39 - Aug 7 with 4120 viewsSandyman

It's nice to hear, at last, that a poor defensive performance is not seen as "wonderful" or "excellent" or "brilliant" by a Dale manager and is recognised, several times, as not being good enough.

Seeing Jim in the starting line up is always scary. Hero or villian? Sorry, but woeful once more.

Robbie needs time - and a few defenders need a kick up the backside.

Apart from the flare fool, great support from our fans in the sardine tin stand - from socially distanced to crammed. Worst cheese burger I've ever eaten - binned most of it. At the suggestion of a fellow supporter, will take me own corned beef sandwiches next time I visit that ground!

UP THE DALE AND WE'RE NOT FOR SALE
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 00:28 - Aug 8 with 3986 views_Windydale

Exploitation of our weaknesses.

A bit of male bonding is required in defence to improve communication.

In the next match, I'm sure Harrogate are just gonna run at us to test our shaky defence.

Defence. Have a night on the p1ss, maybe go long legs in manchester or something.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 0:51]
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 09:23 - Aug 8 with 3578 viewsmikehunt

I couldnt see properly but there was a shout for a penalty right at the death. Was it?
Ref seemed to give them an awful lot too.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 09:36 - Aug 8 with 3528 viewsNorthernDale

Jim Mcnulty as been past it for some years and dale fans have been saying so and should concentrate on his coaching role, I would say O'Connell and Keohane missing due to injuries was a blow to the team. We are still short of bodies, we may need an experience CD to cover injuries, an experienced midfielder (like Lund or Rathbne) and striker. I was surprised that Broadbent came on as one of the subs, instead of Brierley when we needed to keep it tight at the back for he closing minutes and that may due to the inexperience of Stockdale.

Taylor seemed OK, but showed his lack of experience, Graham looked good when he came on and O'keefe looks a decent player. I agree about Dooley, for all of his experience he buggered up two good opportunities, but that's Dooley for you. Cashman looked likes he could be a good player and again with more game time under his belt, may get us the goals we need, but Beesley for me is a target man and to be fair Odoh did okay, but again is lacking in experience. The disjointed play from the Dale may be due to fact that many of the team yesterday had little experience and had not played many games together.

But I also thought Harrogate a poor side when pressed and we could have won, but poor mistakes cost us once again.
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 10:30 - Aug 8 with 3343 viewsdawlishdale

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 22:39 - Aug 7 by D_Alien

White, out of his depth? What the hell are you talking about? He's got more pedigree in his career than anyone in the squad

He's not match fit and it was a risk playing him but give the guy a chance ffs before making ill-informed comments

Oops. Just read what I put. Of course, its wrong. I meant to put our right back looked weak...not left back. He was up against their left winger, who had pace, and it troubled him.

In mitigation, the ale was good.
Login to get fewer ads

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 10:55 - Aug 8 with 3249 viewsJessie

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 18:36 - Aug 7 by DaleiLama

After our last manager Jessie, Robbie is a breath of fresh air. It will undoubtedly extend his 'honeymoon period' with most fans

That is really good to know. I have a feeling this is the right club for him to start his managerial career, partly because of the fans (well, I'm judging from all the comments on here and Twitter). Some of the Sunderland supporters didn't like him especially in his last year there, laying the blame on him for their back-to-back relegations. But that was all baseless. He had different roles under their four(!) managers during 3 years, despite holding the same title of first-team coach. He did a great job under Sam Allardyce and had he not been good enough, Big Sam wouldn't have asked him to join West Brom last season.

A welcoming environment can help settle things down. Let's hope the performance will improve on Tuesday.
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 10:55 - Aug 8 with 3249 views1949er

There is always one prick in a bunch of roses

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 11:27 - Aug 8 with 3133 views49thseason

I think I would much rather have a manager who doesnt like being beaten to one that seemed to think it was sort of OK. From a players perspective you might take the view that if the boss doesnt care about results and league table position, why should anyone else?
The idea that your manager is closely watching your performance and will be less than amused if you dont perform to expectations can only be a good thing in our current position, that doesnt mean he has to be a complete tvvat, but it does mean he has standards that must be met and that he wont allow those standards to fall.
Fingers crossed, he has now seen the problems we have been aware of for 3 or 4 seasons now and he will be working hard to prevent the late goals against us and the early game sloppiness.
Game management is about knowing when to boot it into row Z and when not to try a worldy pass, its about not getting too deep in your own half and concentrating on stopping the crosses coming in. Its not rocket science.
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 12:24 - Aug 8 with 2937 viewsDaleiLama

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 10:55 - Aug 8 by Jessie

That is really good to know. I have a feeling this is the right club for him to start his managerial career, partly because of the fans (well, I'm judging from all the comments on here and Twitter). Some of the Sunderland supporters didn't like him especially in his last year there, laying the blame on him for their back-to-back relegations. But that was all baseless. He had different roles under their four(!) managers during 3 years, despite holding the same title of first-team coach. He did a great job under Sam Allardyce and had he not been good enough, Big Sam wouldn't have asked him to join West Brom last season.

A welcoming environment can help settle things down. Let's hope the performance will improve on Tuesday.

Two adjectives which would never look out of place preceding 'Daley' would be patient and long-suffering.

That's not to say we are without ambition and have had a few promotions to celebrate along the way .... make no mistake, well be hoping for another

Speaking for myself, I wont be judging Robbie overall until next May when he's had a whole season to shape the squad (January window included) and to have the players doing what he wants them to. I'm not so fussed on league position this year but do want to see us improve over the year with a view to further progress in the future. I'm (pleasantly) surprised by the speed at which he's brought players he wanted in and that he's been backed to the extent he has, which we are assured is budgeted for and sustainable. So far, he seems to have done everything he possibly could to give us a chance, so it seems there is some optimism back in the fanbase. One big hurdle he has to get over, which will further endear him to the fanbase is to sort our bloody home form out. ST holders have sat through some really dull, pointless (in more ways than one ) stuff for too many recent seasons and we would like to be entertained a bit now please. Ironically, its not that long ago that we were given the 'most entertaing team' moniker. Losing 4-5 to another last minute goal from another set piece is not entertaining for home fans though. We want to see goals but not at the expense of abandoning defence.

Sorry, this turned into a bit of a rant (not at you) but for further context there was also a thread not that long ago about the 5 things folk wanted from this season. We are certainly not an unreasonable fan base.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/274098/hopes-for-the-2021-2

I left Rochdale when I was 18 and have lived in various locations in England and travelled the world on holiday and with work. Rochdalians are some of the most fair-minded people I have met ...... its in our DNA. And yes, I'm biased. Guilty as charged.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 12:49]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 12:50 - Aug 8 with 2835 viewsD_Alien

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 12:24 - Aug 8 by DaleiLama

Two adjectives which would never look out of place preceding 'Daley' would be patient and long-suffering.

That's not to say we are without ambition and have had a few promotions to celebrate along the way .... make no mistake, well be hoping for another

Speaking for myself, I wont be judging Robbie overall until next May when he's had a whole season to shape the squad (January window included) and to have the players doing what he wants them to. I'm not so fussed on league position this year but do want to see us improve over the year with a view to further progress in the future. I'm (pleasantly) surprised by the speed at which he's brought players he wanted in and that he's been backed to the extent he has, which we are assured is budgeted for and sustainable. So far, he seems to have done everything he possibly could to give us a chance, so it seems there is some optimism back in the fanbase. One big hurdle he has to get over, which will further endear him to the fanbase is to sort our bloody home form out. ST holders have sat through some really dull, pointless (in more ways than one ) stuff for too many recent seasons and we would like to be entertained a bit now please. Ironically, its not that long ago that we were given the 'most entertaing team' moniker. Losing 4-5 to another last minute goal from another set piece is not entertaining for home fans though. We want to see goals but not at the expense of abandoning defence.

Sorry, this turned into a bit of a rant (not at you) but for further context there was also a thread not that long ago about the 5 things folk wanted from this season. We are certainly not an unreasonable fan base.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/274098/hopes-for-the-2021-2

I left Rochdale when I was 18 and have lived in various locations in England and travelled the world on holiday and with work. Rochdalians are some of the most fair-minded people I have met ...... its in our DNA. And yes, I'm biased. Guilty as charged.

On Quest highlights it was AGAIN repeated about us being "one of the most entertaining teams to watch last year"

I'll probably wait in vain for one of their 'guests' to have the bottle to put Murray straight about it, they're usually talking dummies

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 13:01 - Aug 8 with 2796 viewsD_Alien

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 10:30 - Aug 8 by dawlishdale

Oops. Just read what I put. Of course, its wrong. I meant to put our right back looked weak...not left back. He was up against their left winger, who had pace, and it troubled him.

In mitigation, the ale was good.

But maybe, just maybe, the same leeway could be applied to all our newbies

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 13:10 - Aug 8 with 2760 viewsChaffRAFC

I came away from yesterday feeling positive (I know, doesn't happen often).

Thought we looked good going forward and the back four just need games together and I think we'll see them gel more. Max Taylor's first football league game, White's not played much in recent years because of injury. O'Keeffe not played a great deal either and McNulty wouldn't have played had O'Connell been fit. I think Stockdale wanted an experienced head among the inexperienced lads around him which unfortunately backfired a touch.

Odoh immediately looks a bit prospect and a good signing from BBM. He caused problems until he went off and it was really good to watch. Same with Newby. Beesley won every header he went for and again, more games together will hopefully make us a bit more fluid.

Plenty of positives after a summer of huge transition.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 14:07 - Aug 8 with 2596 viewsNIGELdale

Apart from the result really enjoyed yesterday’s game good to see live football instead of the laptop. Defence was a mess McNulty had a nightmare against there forward he made too many mistakes and looked edgy. O’Connell was a big miss as we would have probably been better with him in the side . Going forward we looked pretty good Beesley never stopped chasing down worked hard . A lot of positives to take forward as the new signings will get better with each training session and game time. We stopped attacking when Odoh went off I thought he had a pretty good game and looked dangerous every time he attacked their fullback. Overall a couple more signings particularly another midfielder with experience to help the young midfielders and another forward . Overall we will be fine not expecting much this season atop half finish is more than possible.
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 14:35 - Aug 8 with 2489 viewsJessie

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 12:24 - Aug 8 by DaleiLama

Such a great post! No need to say sorry at all. I loved reading it.

Actually I'm Chinese and never been to other countries. My knowledge about Rochdale is limited - I watched the TV series Three Girls a few years ago (which unfortunately depicted the dark side of the town) and was a big fan of Elbow, the Manchester band who once recorded a song named 'Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl'. That's all. Following Stockdale's career now gives me the opportunity to look closely at League Two which I'm not familiar with. I support Charlton and always tend to have a soft spot for small clubs/underdogs. I've also noticed over the years that smaller clubs usually have a more friendlier fanbase.

By the way - sorry to go off topic but I can't resist to ask about your nickname and avatar - looks like you're a fan of Dalai Lama?
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 14:47 - Aug 8 with 2443 viewskel

We’ll have no mention of The Elbow on here, thank you very much.
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 14:58 - Aug 8 with 2396 viewsD_Alien

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 14:35 - Aug 8 by Jessie

Actually I'm Chinese and never been to other countries. My knowledge about Rochdale is limited - I watched the TV series Three Girls a few years ago (which unfortunately depicted the dark side of the town) and was a big fan of Elbow, the Manchester band who once recorded a song named 'Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl'. That's all. Following Stockdale's career now gives me the opportunity to look closely at League Two which I'm not familiar with. I support Charlton and always tend to have a soft spot for small clubs/underdogs. I've also noticed over the years that smaller clubs usually have a more friendlier fanbase.

By the way - sorry to go off topic but I can't resist to ask about your nickname and avatar - looks like you're a fan of Dalai Lama?

He is, to such an extent that he wears robes to the pub and the game, in Dale colours

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 15:10 - Aug 8 with 2356 viewskel

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 14:35 - Aug 8 by Jessie

Can I also add by the way that your command of the English language for a Chinese person is incredible? My Brother lives in Shanghai and teaches English and I reckon he’ll do very well if he can get one of his students to speak as well as you do.
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 15:34 - Aug 8 with 2278 viewsjudd

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 14:58 - Aug 8 by D_Alien

He is, to such an extent that he wears robes to the pub and the game, in Dale colours

I thought he got a court order banning him from that attire?

Poll: What is it to be then?

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 15:56 - Aug 8 with 2182 viewsD_Alien

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 15:34 - Aug 8 by judd

I thought he got a court order banning him from that attire?

He managed to get it overturned by claiming the robes protected him from Covid through karma

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 16:24 - Aug 8 with 2089 viewsBrierls

I think a lot of the frustration is coming from the game being there for the taking. It was a terrible start but once we settled I thought we looked to have more quality and threat. I was still confident of getting a result even when 2-1 down because we looked better than Harrogate.

The only reason Jim started was to have an experienced head alongside an inexperienced one, yet Jim was the one who’s head (and feet) weren’t at the races. Throw Morley into the mix with a terribly slow reaction and touch, a great finish it has to be said, and we’re 2-0 down before breaking a sweat.

Once we steadied ourselves I thought we played some good stuff. I think we’ll create chances and we’ll learn to defend better as a unit.

Players..

Lynch - Thought he did OK but the third goal comes from a ball not being dealt with in the box. Would a better/taller keeper come and collect that? *Edit* I’ve been harsh on Lynch about coming for the ball for the goal, but I am left wondering how many legs it went through for him not to react to the shot.

O’Keefe - Had a shaky start but grew into the game. I thought he looked better at left back than right back but that’s probably more to do with settling down.

White - Looks steady and dependable. Didn’t offer much going forward but I think he showed his positional sense is good.

McNulty - Let’s not dress this up, that was a calamitous first half. You can have all the experience in the world, but if you can’t use it to your advantage what’s the point. I don’t want any of our younger players learning from what he does on the pitch.

Taylor - Thought he started very tentatively, which is understandable when your senior partner is all over the place. He improved as the game went on but he’s not afraid of a physical battle.

Morley - Too slow and still desperately low on confidence. If a new season, a new manager, and the captains armband (what???) isn’t going to raise his game then I don’t know what will. He does have ability with he ball, no doubt, but I have serious concerns about how useful he is when we don’t.

Grant - He oozes quality and took his goal very well. He’s going to be a big player for us this season. He’ll improve his decision making the more he plays. All our best play came through him.

Dooley - He’s nowhere near as bad as some make out. He had a decent game and he creates in and around the opposition box. We’d have been home and hosed if he scored his chance but I’ve yet to see the replay on how much time he had.

Newby - A really positive start. He had more end product than we saw last season and it was a clever finish for his goal. One of the first names on the team sheet on that performance.

Odoh - He impressed me. Quick feet, good pace and runs well with he ball. Could maybe have more end product but that will come. It’s a shame he was forced off with a knock.

Beesley - Covered every blade of grass as we’d expect, but won pretty much everything in the air too. Didn’t really have any clear opportunities but his holdup play was good.

Subs…

Graham - Looked dominant. Don’t think he lost a header and his passing was decent. He’d replace Jim for me.
Cashman - Comfortable on the ball and a good touch. Expect him to rotate with Odoh.
Broadbent - Didn’t see much of the ball but got forward a few times and not afraid to shoot.

Stockdale’s post match interview is great. As has been pointed out by many since his appointment, he doesn’t dress anything up and says it how it is. We’ll need that and it’s welcome.

Special mention for those taking and throwing flares…you are as thick as pig shit. They look shit, you get more effect from a vape. Today it resulted in a delay that completely killed the momentum after scoring. Well done, you made us look tinpot AND had a negative effect on the game. Hopefully the club will take a harsh stance on these idiots and issue banning orders when identified.

#upthedalenotforsale
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 18:47]
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 16:35 - Aug 8 with 2041 viewsNIGELdale

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 16:24 - Aug 8 by Brierls

I think a lot of the frustration is coming from the game being there for the taking. It was a terrible start but once we settled I thought we looked to have more quality and threat. I was still confident of getting a result even when 2-1 down because we looked better than Harrogate.

The only reason Jim started was to have an experienced head alongside an inexperienced one, yet Jim was the one who’s head (and feet) weren’t at the races. Throw Morley into the mix with a terribly slow reaction and touch, a great finish it has to be said, and we’re 2-0 down before breaking a sweat.

Once we steadied ourselves I thought we played some good stuff. I think we’ll create chances and we’ll learn to defend better as a unit.

Players..

Lynch - Thought he did OK but the third goal comes from a ball not being dealt with in the box. Would a better/taller keeper come and collect that? *Edit* I’ve been harsh on Lynch about coming for the ball for the goal, but I am left wondering how many legs it went through for him not to react to the shot.

O’Keefe - Had a shaky start but grew into the game. I thought he looked better at left back than right back but that’s probably more to do with settling down.

White - Looks steady and dependable. Didn’t offer much going forward but I think he showed his positional sense is good.

McNulty - Let’s not dress this up, that was a calamitous first half. You can have all the experience in the world, but if you can’t use it to your advantage what’s the point. I don’t want any of our younger players learning from what he does on the pitch.

Taylor - Thought he started very tentatively, which is understandable when your senior partner is all over the place. He improved as the game went on but he’s not afraid of a physical battle.

Morley - Too slow and still desperately low on confidence. If a new season, a new manager, and the captains armband (what???) isn’t going to raise his game then I don’t know what will. He does have ability with he ball, no doubt, but I have serious concerns about how useful he is when we don’t.

Grant - He oozes quality and took his goal very well. He’s going to be a big player for us this season. He’ll improve his decision making the more he plays. All our best play came through him.

Dooley - He’s nowhere near as bad as some make out. He had a decent game and he creates in and around the opposition box. We’d have been home and hosed if he scored his chance but I’ve yet to see the replay on how much time he had.

Newby - A really positive start. He had more end product than we saw last season and it was a clever finish for his goal. One of the first names on the team sheet on that performance.

Odoh - He impressed me. Quick feet, good pace and runs well with he ball. Could maybe have more end product but that will come. It’s a shame he was forced off with a knock.

Beesley - Covered every blade of grass as we’d expect, but won pretty much everything in the air too. Didn’t really have any clear opportunities but his holdup play was good.

Subs…

Graham - Looked dominant. Don’t think he lost a header and his passing was decent. He’d replace Jim for me.
Cashman - Comfortable on the ball and a good touch. Expect him to rotate with Odoh.
Broadbent - Didn’t see much of the ball but got forward a few times and not afraid to shoot.

Stockdale’s post match interview is great. As has been pointed out by many since his appointment, he doesn’t dress anything up and says it how it is. We’ll need that and it’s welcome.

Special mention for those taking and throwing flares…you are as thick as pig shit. They look shit, you get more effect from a vape. Today it resulted in a delay that completely killed the momentum after scoring. Well done, you made us look tinpot AND had a negative effect on the game. Hopefully the club will take a harsh stance on these idiots and issue banning orders when identified.

#upthedalenotforsale
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 18:47]

Great post and in complete agreement with the flares in
Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 22:20 - Aug 8 with 1668 viewsDaley_Lama

Harrogate Away (League) Match Thread on 16:35 - Aug 8 by NIGELdale

Great post and in complete agreement with the flares in

Special mention to whoever shouted ‘go on Whoopie’ to one of our players - the players anti-racism stance obviously getting through.

As for the abuse their keeper got in the second half, it would make your grandmother blush 😀 Flares, young uns kicking advertising boards, the stale smell of beer-breath in the stand.

Ifollow will never replace the away day experience!

Poll: DF in or out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024