Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Come back Freddy 14:15 - Aug 9 with 2297 viewsBarrySwan

He might have been the master of laying down on the ground very very slowly and gently with an outstretched arm well after the ball had gone past him into the net.

But after reviewing the performance of our latest keeper Woody seems almost Gordon Banks like in comparison.
Come back Freddy on 14:18 - Aug 9 with 2283 viewsCatullus

How do you think Woody would have managed with the new style and the defence being very leaky? Look at what Bend did, I reckon Woody would have conceded more than Benda.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Come back Freddy on 14:28 - Aug 9 with 2247 viewsBarrySwan

Come back Freddy on 14:18 - Aug 9 by Catullus

How do you think Woody would have managed with the new style and the defence being very leaky? Look at what Bend did, I reckon Woody would have conceded more than Benda.

Well to be honest I thought that Woody was Welsh league level at best.

However I would like to think that having the ball under control in his own six yard box that he wouldn't have nudged it nearer to an opposing player than himself before hacking the bloke down even though the opposition player was no certainty to score even after being gifted the ball. ( I'm at a bit of a loss as to what a leaky defence had to do with that to be honest)

Perhaps thankfully despite Freddie's penchant for extremely slow movement we'll never find out.

I've made allowance for the earlier ball over foot scramble to the post to stop an own goal as we all know that all footballers occasionally have this happen to them. One would have thought that our new footballing goalkeeper might have tightened up a touch after that early scare but apparently not.
Come back Freddy on 14:28 - Aug 9 with 2232 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Woodman gave an idiotic penalty away in his final game.

Benda looked far better than Woodman ever did. Watch how Benda positioned himself for each of the (many) one on one's he faced on Saturday. His positioning was absolutely perfect. Contrast that with what we saw from Woodman, who would back pedal on to his goal line, not minimise the attacker's shooting angle and sometimes not even attempt to save the incoming shot...

Assuming Benda did the above deliberately using his skill, he'll soon become one of, if not our most valuable assets once Grimes and Roberts are gone.

Benda was the highlight of the weekend for me.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Come back Freddy on 14:33 - Aug 9 with 2218 viewsDr_Parnassus

Benda will make a few mistakes until he is confident as a first team starter.

His attitude is spot on though. Aggressive to the ball, commanding of the area and his positional sense suggests he is a keeper than looks to stop a chance rather than react to one.

Woodman would allow the striker his chance and then do his best to save it, it’s a reactive way of playing. Quite negative really.

Benda makes the chance as difficult to finish as possible by cutting the angle aggressively, then reacting to the chance. It’s a pro active way of playing.

I much prefer the second way.

His decision making will improve as he gets used to repeating the same match situations under pressure.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Come back Freddy on 14:41 - Aug 9 with 2201 viewsCatullus

Come back Freddy on 14:28 - Aug 9 by BarrySwan

However I would like to think that having the ball under control in his own six yard box that he wouldn't have nudged it nearer to an opposing player than himself before hacking the bloke down even though the opposition player was no certainty to score even after being gifted the ball. ( I'm at a bit of a loss as to what a leaky defence had to do with that to be honest)

Perhaps thankfully despite Freddie's penchant for extremely slow movement we'll never find out.

I've made allowance for the earlier ball over foot scramble to the post to stop an own goal as we all know that all footballers occasionally have this happen to them. One would have thought that our new footballing goalkeeper might have tightened up a touch after that early scare but apparently not.

The leaky defence is very relevant, Woody's success was built on having little to do. For around half the season he was vry protected, Benda got very little protection and had a lot more ball at his feet. His distribution was much better too.

Mistakes will happen. You can't write a player off after one game.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Come back Freddy on 14:50 - Aug 9 with 2179 viewsCatullus

Here you go, read the story and the comparison between Woody and Benda's stats,

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stark-difference-swan

97% passing success with the obvious howler causing a goal. It took Woody over 3 games to get as many passes in as Benda with a much lower complaetion rate.

Come back Freddy on 15:08 - Aug 9 with 2133 viewsGeoffThom

Mate you are miles off with this woodman last year cost us a lot
Come back Freddy on 15:52 - Aug 9 with 2065 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Come back Freddy on 14:28 - Aug 9 by BarrySwan

So you weren't impressed with has command of his box, his anticipation and positioning during the one on ones?
Or his great long balls?
OK
Login to get fewer ads

Come back Freddy on 16:15 - Aug 9 with 2037 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Come back Freddy on 15:52 - Aug 9 by A_Fans_Dad

So you weren't impressed with has command of his box, his anticipation and positioning during the one on ones?
Or his great long balls?
OK

He thinks Woodman is Welsh league and Benda is worse. Obvious fishing trip

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Come back Freddy on 16:37 - Aug 9 with 1988 viewsGeoffThom

Come back Freddy on 15:52 - Aug 9 by A_Fans_Dad

Or his great long balls?
OK

Woodman would not move off his line half the time and crosses he was like dracula
Come back Freddy on 16:43 - Aug 9 with 1978 viewsBenJ94

What a sh*t OP, some people are 🟨 clueless, and even more so when it comes to goalkeeping.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Come back Freddy on 17:01 - Aug 9 with 1951 viewsraynor94

Benda was named in the EFL Championship team of the day

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Come back Freddy on 17:09 - Aug 9 with 1926 viewsmonmouth

Come back Freddy on 16:43 - Aug 9 by BenJ94

What a sh*t OP, some people are 🟨 clueless, and even more so when it comes to goalkeeping.

Yep. That sums it up perfectly.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Come back Freddy on 17:49 - Aug 9 with 1862 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Come back Freddy on 16:43 - Aug 9 by BenJ94

“Barry” Swan?

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Come back Freddy on 18:59 - Aug 9 with 1765 viewsguthrieintherain

Imagine Woody trying to play a possession game.

He kicks to touch more than Dan Biggar

Poll: What will happen with Morgan Whittaker

Come back Freddy on 19:04 - Aug 9 with 1748 viewsBarrySwan

Come back Freddy on 17:01 - Aug 9 by raynor94

Benda was named in the EFL Championship team of the day

Seriously?

I think we're all in with a chance of making pro then where do we apply?
Come back Freddy on 19:06 - Aug 9 with 1743 viewsBadlands

EFL team of the week

In goal Stephen Benda.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Come back Freddy on 19:08 - Aug 9 with 1740 viewsjackrmee

Come back Freddy on 19:06 - Aug 9 by Badlands

EFL team of the week

In goal Stephen Benda.

Brilliant for his confidence!!

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Come back Freddy on 19:26 - Aug 9 with 1696 viewsjack247

I thought Woodman was a lot better than he got credit for on here. Fully accepting that we had a very defensive system last season.

Benda though, had a very good game IMO. The penalty was horrific. We’ve just got to write that off as a moment of madness. That aside, he looked composed and comfortable behind a wobbly defence who all looked like they were adapting to Martins tactics and offered nowhere near the protection Woodman was used to.

Criticise the penalty by all means, it was mental. It’s very hard to make an argument for him having a bad game though.
Come back Freddy on 21:02 - Aug 9 with 1608 viewsBarrySwan

Come back Freddy on 19:26 - Aug 9 by jack247

I thought Woodman was a lot better than he got credit for on here. Fully accepting that we had a very defensive system last season.

Benda though, had a very good game IMO. The penalty was horrific. We’ve just got to write that off as a moment of madness. That aside, he looked composed and comfortable behind a wobbly defence who all looked like they were adapting to Martins tactics and offered nowhere near the protection Woodman was used to.

Criticise the penalty by all means, it was mental. It’s very hard to make an argument for him having a bad game though.

I think my main concern is this.

After almost giving a goal away in the first half with an incredibly poor miss control of a back pass..alright these things happen...when an outfield player does it the ball goes for a throw in and nobody gets too het up about it as a groan runs round the crowd..... when a keeper does it its a goal or a frantic scramble to save a goal...it happens now and again, thats life.

Then an appalling bit of non ball control a second time in the six yard box..alright these things happen again so be it.

What does concern me a touch is a thought process that appears to be presumably..."Oh hell what have I done? How am I going to get out of this?...I know I'll hack the bloke down that I just gave the ball to in the middle of the penalty box with a wild lunge....The ref probably won't even notice'.

That line of thinking does kind of concern me even for an inexperienced newcomer who presumably has played hundreds and hundreds of games at whatever level in the lead up to first team appearances.

I do have to chuckle at all those... what about the catching? what about all that dominating the box? What about all that passing? comments.

Well fair play if it wasn't for all that dominating the box, catching and passing we'd still have lost except maybe by a bigger scoreline.

I suppose it should just be accepted that giving the ball away under not the greatest of pressure and attempted rectification by a wild hack down in the box was just an aberration caused by the panic of early first team nerves and hope that a more measured reaction will be the response to similar scenarios after a few more games and a little more first team experience.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 21:06]
Come back Freddy on 21:16 - Aug 9 with 1571 viewsjack247

Come back Freddy on 21:02 - Aug 9 by BarrySwan

I think my main concern is this.

After almost giving a goal away in the first half with an incredibly poor miss control of a back pass..alright these things happen...when an outfield player does it the ball goes for a throw in and nobody gets too het up about it as a groan runs round the crowd..... when a keeper does it its a goal or a frantic scramble to save a goal...it happens now and again, thats life.

Then an appalling bit of non ball control a second time in the six yard box..alright these things happen again so be it.

What does concern me a touch is a thought process that appears to be presumably..."Oh hell what have I done? How am I going to get out of this?...I know I'll hack the bloke down that I just gave the ball to in the middle of the penalty box with a wild lunge....The ref probably won't even notice'.

That line of thinking does kind of concern me even for an inexperienced newcomer who presumably has played hundreds and hundreds of games at whatever level in the lead up to first team appearances.

I do have to chuckle at all those... what about the catching? what about all that dominating the box? What about all that passing? comments.

Well fair play if it wasn't for all that dominating the box, catching and passing we'd still have lost except maybe by a bigger scoreline.

I suppose it should just be accepted that giving the ball away under not the greatest of pressure and attempted rectification by a wild hack down in the box was just an aberration caused by the panic of early first team nerves and hope that a more measured reaction will be the response to similar scenarios after a few more games and a little more first team experience.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 21:06]

Yes, that was a howler. He screwed up and then he panicked. If that kind of thing becomes a regular occurrence, it’s a problem. In his second league game for us, first as first choice, I think it’s probably fair to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Come back Freddy on 21:34 - Aug 9 with 1539 viewsBarrySwan

Come back Freddy on 21:16 - Aug 9 by jack247

Yes, that was a howler. He screwed up and then he panicked. If that kind of thing becomes a regular occurrence, it’s a problem. In his second league game for us, first as first choice, I think it’s probably fair to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed.
Come back Freddy on 22:07 - Aug 9 with 1505 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

In minimal appearances last season Benda looked promising. 1 game this year and he appears to be a huge upgrade on Woody (despite how woodman did and the glaring mistake)

Boys got massive potential

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024