Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stressful Day! 21:01 - Aug 16 with 2225 viewsbarry_sanchez

Getting an extension done and today was the day that the steel went in in the back, all is well, brace on the back and 3 pairs acrow internal, crane brought the steel over and rested on the scaffold to get the steel in, it was at this point the brace failed and bricks began to fall one at a time until it was a fu**ing avalanche and two huge triangle formed up to the soldiers underneath one the of the windows, I was about to cry as a crack appeared above the window so was expecting the whole rear of the house to go but it stayed, I don't know whether I was lucky today or unlucky but by f**k I am a lot greyer.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone
Poll: What is your favourite poll?

Stressful Day! on 21:05 - Aug 16 with 1893 viewssaintwizzler

The plasterer will get over it

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Stressful Day! on 21:20 - Aug 16 with 1870 viewskingslandstand1

No doubt there had been a full designed scaffold to take in to account the tw@t who decided to rest the steel on the scaffold!
Stressful Day! on 21:21 - Aug 16 with 1866 views1885_SFC

Well I fitted a laminate floor today to my step son's office/study and it went like a dream. Plywood sub-floor... polythene underlay... excellent quality light grey laminate planking. Did a superb job if I do say so myself!

Tomorrow though, I have to trim & fit a whole new 6-panel door to the room and all the door furniture (hinges, handle). I fooking hate hanging new doors. Chippies always make it look so easy - especially on those YouTube vidoes.

Old School is Cool

Stressful Day! on 21:22 - Aug 16 with 1866 viewsSadoldgit

You have my sympathy Barry. We had one built a couple of years ago and went through several months of upheaval but fortunately no major dramas. We had a wooden framed extension with green oak beams which looked fab at first but we now have lots of gaps now where the oak has shrunk and all of the joints which were super tight now arent. Anyway, good luck and I hope you don’t have any more mishaps.
Stressful Day! on 21:27 - Aug 16 with 1857 viewskingslandstand1

Stressful Day! on 21:22 - Aug 16 by Sadoldgit

You have my sympathy Barry. We had one built a couple of years ago and went through several months of upheaval but fortunately no major dramas. We had a wooden framed extension with green oak beams which looked fab at first but we now have lots of gaps now where the oak has shrunk and all of the joints which were super tight now arent. Anyway, good luck and I hope you don’t have any more mishaps.

Unfortunately SOG that is what Green Oak does and one of the reasons people go for it for the "real wood" experience
Stressful Day! on 21:27 - Aug 16 with 1858 viewsbarry_sanchez

Stressful Day! on 21:20 - Aug 16 by kingslandstand1

No doubt there had been a full designed scaffold to take in to account the tw@t who decided to rest the steel on the scaffold!

I said this to the scaffolder and builder and they both said it'll take it, it did but I'm not too sure it was supposed to be like that! The steel was 680kgs, to make matters worse the fabricators put the length at 6.5m when it should have been 6m so he had to come out and cut it on said scaffold.

He who is silent and bows his head dies every time he does so. He who speaks aloud and walks with his head held high dies only once. —Giovanni Falcone

Stressful Day! on 21:30 - Aug 16 with 1850 viewsbarry_sanchez

Stressful Day! on 21:21 - Aug 16 by 1885_SFC

Well I fitted a laminate floor today to my step son's office/study and it went like a dream. Plywood sub-floor... polythene underlay... excellent quality light grey laminate planking. Did a superb job if I do say so myself!

Tomorrow though, I have to trim & fit a whole new 6-panel door to the room and all the door furniture (hinges, handle). I fooking hate hanging new doors. Chippies always make it look so easy - especially on those YouTube vidoes.

Hope you have the right jigs for that, I tried doing that once ie planing and hinge cutting, never ever again, good luck.

Stressful Day! on 21:31 - Aug 16 with 1843 viewsbarry_sanchez

Stressful Day! on 21:05 - Aug 16 by saintwizzler

The plasterer will get over it

Can't get them for love nor money, they're the hardest trade to get hold of at the moment.

Login to get fewer ads

Stressful Day! on 21:41 - Aug 16 with 1831 views1885_SFC

Stressful Day! on 21:30 - Aug 16 by barry_sanchez

Hope you have the right jigs for that, I tried doing that once ie planing and hinge cutting, never ever again, good luck.

The Mrs bought me a brand new Bosch electric plane for Xmas 3-years ago... don't laugh, I really wanted one! It's been out of its case three times and fook me, I'm never using it ever again. I just cannot use an electric plane no matter how hard I try. I am CRAP at planing wood.

I've got a lovely little hand-held Makita router for the hinge recesses. Nice piece of kit. But no way am I planing any wood. I'd rather hammer a rusty 6-inch nail through my left testicle than get that freaky plane out of its box.

Old School is Cool

Stressful Day! on 21:49 - Aug 16 with 1819 viewsbarry_sanchez

Stressful Day! on 21:41 - Aug 16 by 1885_SFC

The Mrs bought me a brand new Bosch electric plane for Xmas 3-years ago... don't laugh, I really wanted one! It's been out of its case three times and fook me, I'm never using it ever again. I just cannot use an electric plane no matter how hard I try. I am CRAP at planing wood.

I've got a lovely little hand-held Makita router for the hinge recesses. Nice piece of kit. But no way am I planing any wood. I'd rather hammer a rusty 6-inch nail through my left testicle than get that freaky plane out of its box.

Its getting the angle right but if its too deep thats it! I hate it, shallow and build but I ran out of patience and ballsed it all up, horrible job, talking of routers I used mine the other day and realised quite quickly that I meant to get some new bits a while back as it destroyed a piece of timber by burning it and ripping (chopping) fibres off at any angle, I'll leave it to the chippies.

Stressful Day! on 21:54 - Aug 16 with 1812 views1885_SFC

Stressful Day! on 21:49 - Aug 16 by barry_sanchez

Its getting the angle right but if its too deep thats it! I hate it, shallow and build but I ran out of patience and ballsed it all up, horrible job, talking of routers I used mine the other day and realised quite quickly that I meant to get some new bits a while back as it destroyed a piece of timber by burning it and ripping (chopping) fibres off at any angle, I'll leave it to the chippies.

I bought these recently and thoroughly recommend them. Good quality for someone like me who does a few jobs/projects around the house (and the kids' houses)...

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-12-Piece-Router-Bit-Set-1-4in/p/168117

Old School is Cool

Stressful Day! on 21:59 - Aug 16 with 1796 viewsbarry_sanchez

Stressful Day! on 21:54 - Aug 16 by 1885_SFC

I bought these recently and thoroughly recommend them. Good quality for someone like me who does a few jobs/projects around the house (and the kids' houses)...

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-12-Piece-Router-Bit-Set-1-4in/p/168117

I've bought a trend set now, I'll still balls it up though ha ha!

Stressful Day! on 22:04 - Aug 16 with 1784 views1885_SFC

Stressful Day! on 21:59 - Aug 16 by barry_sanchez

I've bought a trend set now, I'll still balls it up though ha ha!

You...err... any good at planing wood Barry?

Old School is Cool

Stressful Day! on 22:06 - Aug 16 with 1777 viewsButty101

Stressful Day! on 21:31 - Aug 16 by barry_sanchez

Can't get them for love nor money, they're the hardest trade to get hold of at the moment.

I’ve got a top notch plasterer in mine at the moment. Built a single storey extension with vaulted ceilings. That needed a big arse steel about 9.5meters in length. The internal wall was built with breeZe blocks big side flat to support the steel.
If you want the plasters details pm me

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Stressful Day! on 22:06 - Aug 16 with 1780 viewssaintwizzler

Stressful Day! on 21:31 - Aug 16 by barry_sanchez

Better get my trowel back out. 🧐

If only my knee, elbow and shoulder wasn’t fûcked.
Young man’s game.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Stressful Day! on 22:20 - Aug 16 with 1757 viewsSaintsforeverj

Have a stiff drink Baz. And don't do anything stressful. So no MOTD.

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Stressful Day! on 22:21 - Aug 16 with 1751 viewsbarry_sanchez

Stressful Day! on 22:06 - Aug 16 by Butty101

I’ve got a top notch plasterer in mine at the moment. Built a single storey extension with vaulted ceilings. That needed a big arse steel about 9.5meters in length. The internal wall was built with breeZe blocks big side flat to support the steel.
If you want the plasters details pm me

I'm in Liverpool mate, have one for mine now, hopefully and I say hopefully as I had to book for 3 weeks time when needed hopefully from just outside Chester!

Stressful Day! on 22:25 - Aug 16 with 1740 viewsSaintsforeverj

Stressful Day! on 22:21 - Aug 16 by barry_sanchez

I'm in Liverpool mate, have one for mine now, hopefully and I say hopefully as I had to book for 3 weeks time when needed hopefully from just outside Chester!

If you are in Liverpool, any chance you can parade yourself around the city wearing Saints stuff, like they do in their shirts in Southampton? Just to even it out a bit.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2021 22:26]

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

Stressful Day! on 22:33 - Aug 16 with 1732 viewsSadoldgit

Stressful Day! on 21:27 - Aug 16 by kingslandstand1

Unfortunately SOG that is what Green Oak does and one of the reasons people go for it for the "real wood" experience

Indeed. We were warned about the shrinkage but were amazed by how much. Lovely looking wood though. We have had to replace some of the plaster from the new kitchen ceiling though.
Stressful Day! on 11:04 - Aug 18 with 1498 viewsBerber

Stressful Day! on 21:41 - Aug 16 by 1885_SFC

A long time ago, I borrowed an electric plane off a builder friend to take the bottoms off all the upstairs doors. We had bought a new house, and waited a year before we got some bargain carpets that we fitted ourselves. I hate door fitting, and it was a nightmare, every single one needed more off after I marked them. On the last one, I was hot, tired and sick of it so I put a bit of extra pressure and blade length to get a deeper cut. Without realising, I bent my knee beyond the door and sliced the muscle on the inside of my knee/thigh. To make it worse, I was wearing corduroy trousers so ended up with a whole load of fluff churned in. The builders' wife was a nurse, and said I should get 4 or 5 stitches, but being a fainter, I didn't want to go to hospital, so she cleaned it and stitched it there and then without anaesthetic. I've steered clear of electric planes since then.
Stressful Day! on 11:40 - Aug 18 with 1474 viewsbarry_sanchez

Stressful Day! on 11:04 - Aug 18 by Berber

A long time ago, I borrowed an electric plane off a builder friend to take the bottoms off all the upstairs doors. We had bought a new house, and waited a year before we got some bargain carpets that we fitted ourselves. I hate door fitting, and it was a nightmare, every single one needed more off after I marked them. On the last one, I was hot, tired and sick of it so I put a bit of extra pressure and blade length to get a deeper cut. Without realising, I bent my knee beyond the door and sliced the muscle on the inside of my knee/thigh. To make it worse, I was wearing corduroy trousers so ended up with a whole load of fluff churned in. The builders' wife was a nurse, and said I should get 4 or 5 stitches, but being a fainter, I didn't want to go to hospital, so she cleaned it and stitched it there and then without anaesthetic. I've steered clear of electric planes since then.

Ow, Jesus that must have stung!

Stressful Day! on 11:51 - Aug 18 with 1468 viewsSadoldgit

Sounds horrific! I am a complete wimp when it comes to dangerous electric tools, I was even dragged across a door I was stripping by a belt sander, not realising how much pull they had. I know a furniture restorer who let me borrow his old and very un health and safety bandsaw once. I still have nightmares about that. Sod DIY. I am now fully signed up to PSPTDIFY (pay someone professional to do it for you).
Stressful Day! on 12:07 - Aug 18 with 1455 viewsBerber

Stressful Day! on 11:40 - Aug 18 by barry_sanchez

Ow, Jesus that must have stung!

I've still got the jagged white scar, see it every time I put my pants or trousers on, haha. I'll save the story about how I broke my front tooth for another time (nothing as macho as a fist fight).
Stressful Day! on 12:08 - Aug 18 with 1452 views1885_SFC

Stressful Day! on 11:04 - Aug 18 by Berber

Ouch.

I remember reading somewhere a couple of years ago just how many people/DIY-ers end up in hospital each year through accidents with power tools. The numbers are astronomical. Same goes for ladders... tall outdoor ladders. You'd never get me up one of those either.

Old School is Cool

Stressful Day! on 12:14 - Aug 18 with 1444 viewsBerber

Stressful Day! on 11:51 - Aug 18 by Sadoldgit

Sounds horrific! I am a complete wimp when it comes to dangerous electric tools, I was even dragged across a door I was stripping by a belt sander, not realising how much pull they had. I know a furniture restorer who let me borrow his old and very un health and safety bandsaw once. I still have nightmares about that. Sod DIY. I am now fully signed up to PSPTDIFY (pay someone professional to do it for you).

Sadly, it hasn't put me off DIY. This summer, whilst my (younger) neighbour and I were replacing our joined flat garage roofs, another old chap in the street got a delivery of railway sleepers which were dropped onto his front lawn. We volunteered to carry them round to his back garden. On the 7th one, my neighbour dropped his end whilst I was still stepping over the low boundary wall and I managed to pull my hamstring by hanging on for too long.

After being resoundingly berated by my wife for being a daft old sod, I said, "Well, old Tom's elderly and needed help." She replied, you twit, he's 2 years younger than you, try and grow up a bit in your retirement."
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024