Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My take on todays game 23:56 - Sep 11 with 3735 viewsA1079

Woke up this morning and wondered whether I could face the long trip from East Yorkshire and really be that bothered. Decided to go for it and left it a bit tight but apart from the traffic down the Avenue did it in fairly good time.

At 2:45 I noticed there was still long queues at entrance D and some of the others but I got in pretty easy and straight-forward.

Quite alot of empty seats. Unusual for a West Ham game at home at 3pm on a Saturday.

My take on the game itself.

The first half barely warrants a mention. A supine dull uneventful half with a couple of half chances but not alot to talk about. I doubt either set of fans were that impressed. We held West Ham well but what was frustrating was on a couple of breaks that looked like on we reverted to sideways and back - it was as if we were playing safe rather than adventurous. I don't recall a West Ham shot in the first half but there may have been one that I missed.

The second half was better without being a spectacle. West Ham started looking stronger without hurting us. Nick will have a nightmare writing a verdict because our defence and McCarthy (who I have often criticised) did everything that you could have asked of them. They kept Antonio in their pockets and on the couple of occasions that a West Ham goal looked likely McCarthy produced 2 excellent saves/stops.

So what of our team. Some slightly odd selections again and there were long periods in the game where it felt we were happy to settle for a point. Armstrong and Elyounoussi as a pairing offered little as an attacking force but I actually thought the latter would be the one substituted but I have to say the introduction of Broja who I personally think should have started the second half changed the game and gave West Ham more to think about. Elyounoussi and Broja actually linked up well. Broja was unlucky not to score say for a crossbar and off the line save by Rice. Which brings me onto our attack overall - not specifically any one player - if we gained points for hitting a crossbar, post or keeper we would be near the top of the league but when it comes to the space between the keeper and the goal infrastructure we seem unable to hit it with any confidence. You could argue that against Man U, Newcastle and today our attack has cost us valuable points. But, Broja looks really good and needs to be introduced more.

Livramento played well as usual but often seemed a one man force without other players being tuned in. He is at a different level to so many other players. Salisu, Stephens and Perraud all played well as mentioned. JWP (who I have rarely criticised) was pretty poor today. He was pretty ineffective. His overall play was lacking anything of note and his corners were poor apart from one. At times it seemed like we did not have a midfield and that could have been costly.

Djenepo - what to make of him - for effort, hard work and endeavour you could not complain. He gives his all and you would give an 8 out of 10. But for composure in the final third - I would struggle to give a single point. Redmond was back to his usual self. He made some good runs but again in the final third he made little impact.

I am struggling to understand why Tella and KWP are not figuring at the moment. I can see them becoming restless.

There were times today when I looked at our play and thought amongst it all there are some good players and we have the making of a good squad. There were patches of good football and real hope (similar to the Man U and Newcastle games). But equally our passing to feet is poor at times and it seems like we want to walk it into the box by which time the opposition are all back in position. I cannot actually recall our last PL league win home or away and that has to be a real worry because I am struggling to see where a win will come at the moment. We need to be quicker and less pedestrian when we have the ball and our passing has to improve in the final third. I think it is Wolves next at home and we really need to win that assuming we are going to lose at City.

West Ham were very average today or we made them average. That is the frustrating thing. Yes they have been flying high and started the season well but I felt we should and could have beaten them.

Final word about the support. Despite the lack of a full stadium I am detecting a different and altogether better atmosphere with the fans that are going. I felt the fans got behind the team even when the players were not exactly setting the play alight.

I am not sure the cost of the ticket, travel and the amount of time in the car was really worth all the effort but I have seen worse games and it is 3 games unbeaten in the league!
My take on todays game on 13:24 - Sep 13 with 518 viewsBicester_North

My take on todays game on 13:16 - Sep 13 by saintwizzler

So you would of took a point against them before the start?

Yep. Against Wolves I wouldn’t though.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

My take on todays game on 13:28 - Sep 13 with 514 viewssaintwizzler

My take on todays game on 13:24 - Sep 13 by Bicester_North

Yep. Against Wolves I wouldn’t though.

But our home record v Wolves isn’t great either is it?

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

My take on todays game on 13:56 - Sep 13 with 469 viewsBicester_North

My take on todays game on 13:28 - Sep 13 by saintwizzler

But our home record v Wolves isn’t great either is it?

No but it doesn’t stretch back as far as the West Ham sequence, plus Wolves are in a bit of transition and haven’t had a good start.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

My take on todays game on 17:39 - Sep 14 with 358 viewsBerber

My take on todays game on 18:53 - Sep 12 by Chesham_Saint

I’m beginning to have some doubts about Ralph (particularly his treatment of KWP) but you’re right, it would be wrong to ditch him now.

Much as I like KWP, I like what Livramento has done, and like RH, would put him in above KWP based on the games so far. It is actually a nice problem to have and we'll need to see how it pans out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024