Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smart Meters 09:06 - Nov 22 with 1269 viewsHeisenberg

Whose got one and are they worth it ? I don’t mind saving a few quid but don’t want anymore hassle with ringing companies or trying to sort things that don’t work. My gas electricity supplier has been in touch about installing one.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Smart Meters on 09:22 - Nov 22 with 1259 viewsdirk_doone

I have a smart meter and it's currently giving me months of problems ringing companies trying to sort out things that don't work. There are several different types of smart meter used by different companies. When one company gets taken over by another or you switch providers, they have to 'migrate' the smart meter. From my experience, after more than a year of waiting for the migration and hours of phone calls, this doesn't work. So, now, the only way I can move forward, is to have the smart meter ripped out and replaced by another one. Meanwhile, the current energy provider, SSE, which took over my old one, Spark Energy, has £1,500 of my money, which it won't pay back until after the new smart meter is in place and even then, it will probably take many months more of making two-hour-long phone calls, being passed around various people at an Indian call centre, for me to get even part of my money back.

I have threatened them with legal action but what does that mean to a poorly-paid worker at a call centre in Delhi? Anyway, the cost of a solicitor wouldn't be worth it and the energy companies know that.

It seems that smart meters are a very clever way for the energy companies to make switching providers such a nightmare that you won't do it unless they close down or get taken over. Oh for the days of old-fashioned meters which someone would come round to read on a regular basis, you only paid for the energy you actually used and you could switch providers without any hassle.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 9:35]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Smart Meters on 09:42 - Nov 22 with 1220 viewsSadoldgit

They have tried to install one four times in our place over the last year and every time there is a new problem and it doesn’t work. I think they have given up on us now as no new date for another attempted installation!
Smart Meters on 09:54 - Nov 22 with 1209 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I've turned down smart meters many times. It's another one of those things where the tech has been rushed out and we, as a country are not yet ready.

When there is a stable product that is hassle free, THEN I will do it. Right now, not worth the drama.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Smart Meters on 10:32 - Nov 22 with 1192 viewsBazza

They are being pushed by the government to reduce energy usage and energy companies are on incentives to install.
My experience was bad, didn't find that gizmo provided was much use to me at all (usage costs not accurate) and we also had problems with readings by the energy provider (which no longer exists!).
I'm resisting installation now we've moved house.
Smart Meters on 11:56 - Nov 22 with 1154 viewsBLEEDRED

Had one installed about 9 months ago no problems so far, just make sure it's a SMEG2 meter and not the old SMEG1 meter then there should be no problem transferring to different suppliers. It will not save you money!! For the first couple of weeks you will be looking at it to see how much you're spending, after that it just fades into the background, and you forget about it. It does lead to more accurate bills
Smart Meters on 12:55 - Nov 26 with 993 viewsBerber

We have had one for several years, when renewing contracts, we just use the Sky/BT/Virgin comparison arguments.
Smart Meters on 11:20 - Nov 28 with 897 viewsNumber_58

I've got one. When it goes over three quid we turn everything out and all huddle under a blanket wearing wooly hats.
Smart Meters on 11:02 - Nov 29 with 823 viewsdwayne_dibley

Smart Meters on 11:20 - Nov 28 by Number_58

I've got one. When it goes over three quid we turn everything out and all huddle under a blanket wearing wooly hats.

not fair to sheep

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Login to get fewer ads

Smart Meters on 16:49 - Nov 29 with 787 viewsChesham_Saint

Smart Meters on 09:22 - Nov 22 by dirk_doone

I have a smart meter and it's currently giving me months of problems ringing companies trying to sort out things that don't work. There are several different types of smart meter used by different companies. When one company gets taken over by another or you switch providers, they have to 'migrate' the smart meter. From my experience, after more than a year of waiting for the migration and hours of phone calls, this doesn't work. So, now, the only way I can move forward, is to have the smart meter ripped out and replaced by another one. Meanwhile, the current energy provider, SSE, which took over my old one, Spark Energy, has £1,500 of my money, which it won't pay back until after the new smart meter is in place and even then, it will probably take many months more of making two-hour-long phone calls, being passed around various people at an Indian call centre, for me to get even part of my money back.

I have threatened them with legal action but what does that mean to a poorly-paid worker at a call centre in Delhi? Anyway, the cost of a solicitor wouldn't be worth it and the energy companies know that.

It seems that smart meters are a very clever way for the energy companies to make switching providers such a nightmare that you won't do it unless they close down or get taken over. Oh for the days of old-fashioned meters which someone would come round to read on a regular basis, you only paid for the energy you actually used and you could switch providers without any hassle.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 9:35]

This mirrors my experience. They’re utter shyte.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Smart Meters on 19:51 - Nov 29 with 744 viewsHeisenberg

Decided it’s another load of hassle I can do without so won’t bother with a smart meter. I submit a meter reading every month via an app to my supplier and pay for exactly what I use when they bill me. Took a bit of sorting but paying estimated bills is a con.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously'
Poll: Who should get a statue outside the old girl ?

Smart Meters on 07:55 - Nov 30 with 708 viewsdwayne_dibley

Have asked to get smart meters as a free way to get my gas meter replaced. I noticed that when I opened the door on the external gas meter box there was a slight whiff of gas. Called Scottish Power Customer Services who told me that was normal. If I wanted the meter checked / replaced it would cost a lot of money.

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024