Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo 16:40 - Dec 8 with 3300 viewsSwansIndependent

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/55143/when-steve-cooper-

The shortest of memories ? Click above.
Twitter below.

This post has been edited by an administrator
When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 18:32 - Dec 8 with 2366 viewsonehunglow

Steve did nothing to help us expand our brand a he was so ugly.No offence Steve but he could stand in a farmer field with a straw hat and earn a good living .Horrendous to look at for female fans and a shockingly bad dresser too.
At least Russ is prettier although he parts his hair to the right so obviously a wrong un.

No offence

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 18:59 - Dec 8 with 2368 viewsWhiterockin

Await DrP to say that cant be right 68% wanting Cooper out. But I think the stats there back it up.
When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 19:49 - Dec 8 with 2323 viewsKeithHaynes

The time was around when we first reported Coopers head to head meeting with Wunter, for me it was a,ready apparent he wanted out although as yiu can see from the article we still had positivity.

People around that time, and as they still do in some cases now seem to think when something is reported on here it’s condoning it supporting it. Cooper leaving has brought about a huge amount of change and for me now more positivity.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 23:44 - Dec 8 with 2238 viewsDr_Parnassus

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 18:59 - Dec 8 by Whiterockin

Await DrP to say that cant be right 68% wanting Cooper out. But I think the stats there back it up.

You can’t be right or wrong to want someone out as manager, it’s an opinion.

Why that opinion comes about can be questioned though.

You said your reason was that er “fell into” the playoffs… when examined that we saw we finished 10 points clear and extended that gap from January onwards.

You also said because we blew automatic promotion. Yet when we examined it we realised that even if we kept the form up from the first half of the season (quite an ask given the squad), we still would have finished well short of automatics.

You also said because we “bottled” the final. But when we looked at it we saw that Brentford were odds on favourites, finished above us two years running, beat us by 2+ goals in 50% of our meetings and generally got the better of us more often than not. We also had 10 men after an hour to compound an already difficult task.

So while you aren’t incorrect to say you wanted Cooper to leave, you can be incorrect with the reasons you concoct.

All you have to say was you didn’t like him or didn’t enjoy his style of play. That simple. Making all the other fantasies is why people defend the clubs achievements over that period, because while you think you are diluting his achievements, you are also diluting the clubs.

Oh, and as for the stats.

The stats show he is our most successful manager in that league since Brendan Rodgers, how’s that for stats backing something up?

As you were.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2021 23:46]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 08:27 - Dec 9 with 2166 viewsWhiterockin

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 23:44 - Dec 8 by Dr_Parnassus

You can’t be right or wrong to want someone out as manager, it’s an opinion.

Why that opinion comes about can be questioned though.

You said your reason was that er “fell into” the playoffs… when examined that we saw we finished 10 points clear and extended that gap from January onwards.

You also said because we blew automatic promotion. Yet when we examined it we realised that even if we kept the form up from the first half of the season (quite an ask given the squad), we still would have finished well short of automatics.

You also said because we “bottled” the final. But when we looked at it we saw that Brentford were odds on favourites, finished above us two years running, beat us by 2+ goals in 50% of our meetings and generally got the better of us more often than not. We also had 10 men after an hour to compound an already difficult task.

So while you aren’t incorrect to say you wanted Cooper to leave, you can be incorrect with the reasons you concoct.

All you have to say was you didn’t like him or didn’t enjoy his style of play. That simple. Making all the other fantasies is why people defend the clubs achievements over that period, because while you think you are diluting his achievements, you are also diluting the clubs.

Oh, and as for the stats.

The stats show he is our most successful manager in that league since Brendan Rodgers, how’s that for stats backing something up?

As you were.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2021 23:46]

IMO at no point in my post regarding falling into the play offs did I say, that is the sole reason, I like many others wanted him out. The feeling had been there for a while and as stated the performance in the final was the last straw, for me and many others. He may have the most successful manager since Rodgers, but we still wanted him out. The poll on here had been running for a month including before the play offs and there was still a 68% out vote. I have stated before that was the feeling of supporters and you would not believe it. It is there in black and white it was the feeling of supporters at the time.

I accept that it is very difficult for you to judge the feeling of Swansea supporters from the other side of the world, as this can not be picked up by stats and on monitors. But you need to start listening to people if they disagree with you because they may be right. In general most Swansea supporters are happy with the direction we are going this season, enjoying it and realise it will take time. Saying that, if we lose on Saturday to make it 3 defeats in a row questions will be asked, as they should be. But in general the supporters are happy up until now. In the past you have tried to belittle me when I say this. You really have to accept when somebody mixes day in day out with fellow supporters face to face, they are in a better place to judge their feelings.
When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 08:41 - Dec 9 with 2131 viewsDr_Parnassus

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 08:27 - Dec 9 by Whiterockin

IMO at no point in my post regarding falling into the play offs did I say, that is the sole reason, I like many others wanted him out. The feeling had been there for a while and as stated the performance in the final was the last straw, for me and many others. He may have the most successful manager since Rodgers, but we still wanted him out. The poll on here had been running for a month including before the play offs and there was still a 68% out vote. I have stated before that was the feeling of supporters and you would not believe it. It is there in black and white it was the feeling of supporters at the time.

I accept that it is very difficult for you to judge the feeling of Swansea supporters from the other side of the world, as this can not be picked up by stats and on monitors. But you need to start listening to people if they disagree with you because they may be right. In general most Swansea supporters are happy with the direction we are going this season, enjoying it and realise it will take time. Saying that, if we lose on Saturday to make it 3 defeats in a row questions will be asked, as they should be. But in general the supporters are happy up until now. In the past you have tried to belittle me when I say this. You really have to accept when somebody mixes day in day out with fellow supporters face to face, they are in a better place to judge their feelings.

No idea what you are going on about regarding “feelings”. Why would I care what peoples feelings are? They have no effect on anything I am remotely discussing or are interested in.

At no point during the post you just replied to did I claim it was your sole reason either, I listed several that you put forward.

Each one was inaccurate.

Whether you “feel” we attack more is irrelevant, we don’t. Whether many fans “feel” we attack more is irrelevant, we don’t. Whether you and others “feel” we are currently more successful than last season is irrelevant, we aren’t.

Feelings have no place in a factual conversation. Save them for one that isn’t based on accuracy.

If you wanted him out then great, entitled to your own opinion. I haven’t said you are wrong to feel that. I can however, say you are wrong when your reasoning is fundamentally incorrect.

That’s the difference.

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 08:45 - Dec 9 with 2133 viewsWhiterockin

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 08:41 - Dec 9 by Dr_Parnassus

No idea what you are going on about regarding “feelings”. Why would I care what peoples feelings are? They have no effect on anything I am remotely discussing or are interested in.

At no point during the post you just replied to did I claim it was your sole reason either, I listed several that you put forward.

Each one was inaccurate.

Whether you “feel” we attack more is irrelevant, we don’t. Whether many fans “feel” we attack more is irrelevant, we don’t. Whether you and others “feel” we are currently more successful than last season is irrelevant, we aren’t.

Feelings have no place in a factual conversation. Save them for one that isn’t based on accuracy.

If you wanted him out then great, entitled to your own opinion. I haven’t said you are wrong to feel that. I can however, say you are wrong when your reasoning is fundamentally incorrect.

That’s the difference.

68% of Swansea supporters were wrong then? You really don't get it do you. Your unfaltering love for Cooper is admirable, but you must learn to let it go sometimes.
When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 08:58 - Dec 9 with 2088 viewsDr_Parnassus

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 08:45 - Dec 9 by Whiterockin

68% of Swansea supporters were wrong then? You really don't get it do you. Your unfaltering love for Cooper is admirable, but you must learn to let it go sometimes.

Were wrong about what?

Again, whether you want a manager out or to stay isn’t something which is wrong or right. It’s an opinion.

Depends what their reasoning was as to whether they were wrong or not. If they wanted him out because they thought we would be more successful the next season then they would be wrong. If they thought we would be more attacking next season they would be wrong.

Also important to note you are taking about 68% of 100 fans. Not 68% of Swansea fans.

What on earth do I have to let go exactly? I am standing up for factual accuracy and can’t stand the myths that get peddled when they are so easy to disprove.

As I said, if you didn’t like him then great, say so. But if you think you will be able to concoct a fantasy reasoning that holds zero weight under scrutiny, then you will be disappointed.

Login to get fewer ads

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 09:01 - Dec 9 with 2086 viewsWhiterockin

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 08:58 - Dec 9 by Dr_Parnassus

Were wrong about what?

Again, whether you want a manager out or to stay isn’t something which is wrong or right. It’s an opinion.

Depends what their reasoning was as to whether they were wrong or not. If they wanted him out because they thought we would be more successful the next season then they would be wrong. If they thought we would be more attacking next season they would be wrong.

Also important to note you are taking about 68% of 100 fans. Not 68% of Swansea fans.

What on earth do I have to let go exactly? I am standing up for factual accuracy and can’t stand the myths that get peddled when they are so easy to disprove.

As I said, if you didn’t like him then great, say so. But if you think you will be able to concoct a fantasy reasoning that holds zero weight under scrutiny, then you will be disappointed.

I will let you enjoy the rest of you evening instead of this pointless discussion. I am off out for a long walk along the promenade and have a coffee with friends to discus Saturdays game. Enjoy looking at your screens.
When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 09:06 - Dec 9 with 2061 viewsDr_Parnassus

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 09:01 - Dec 9 by Whiterockin

I will let you enjoy the rest of you evening instead of this pointless discussion. I am off out for a long walk along the promenade and have a coffee with friends to discus Saturdays game. Enjoy looking at your screens.

You did start it, yet again.

Complain to yourself about its pointless nature, not me.

I have spent the day in 30 degree sunshine with my fiancée on the beach. Enjoy spending your time thinking of how to frame things fraudulently yet again to keep up a vendetta over our former manager, maybe discuss it over your coffee.

Enjoy.

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 12:56 - Dec 9 with 1986 views34dfgdf54

Cooper deserves a good reception tomorrow. I wasn't a fan at all with his methods and having him here long term wouldn't have been wise for me, but got us play offs twice, brought players here like Brewster, Guehi, Gallagher and others who will all be fondly remembered.
When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 17:09 - Dec 9 with 1920 viewsDJack

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 12:56 - Dec 9 by 34dfgdf54

Cooper deserves a good reception tomorrow. I wasn't a fan at all with his methods and having him here long term wouldn't have been wise for me, but got us play offs twice, brought players here like Brewster, Guehi, Gallagher and others who will all be fondly remembered.

Yep but I will add that the thre players you mentioned even though I liked them many others didn't. Gallagher, particularly, was not liked as others could not see his worth.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 19:25 - Dec 9 with 1882 viewsRichardO

Think Cooper deserves a good reception tomorrow given his achievements, he tightened the defence after Potter but couldn't match Potter's goals going forward perhaps we had to trade one off for the other to get results with the number of goals scored and goals conceded dropping in each of Coopers seasons.
But at the end of the day tomorrow we will be supporting Martin's Swans
[Post edited 9 Dec 2021 19:36]
When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 22:04 - Dec 9 with 1824 viewsAndyCole

The OP is right, Coops wasn't flavour of the month on here, often vilified and subjected to personal insults off the scale.

I prefer to take the bigger picture and not dwell on the narrow minded views of many of the keyboard warriors who continue to reveal their lack of footballing insight, lack of empathy with our managers and players, and most importantly their twisted, irrational ongoing agendas.

The bigger picture is the wider poll which showed 75% wanted Coops and his team to stay. Which aligns with the overall sentiment and chatter in and around the ground.

All of which translates to a resounding welcome for Coops and Tatey, and if any of the boo-boy keyboard sheeple spout their bile let's hope the vast majority of proper fans put them in their rightful place. I know I will.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 08:06 - Dec 10 with 1747 viewsmagicdaps10

Would we have been promoted in the 2 seasons of Coopers reign if we had a more adventurous manager?

Coopers reign on paper looked solid but I still think his Conservative style prevented a genuine push for the top 2 in both seasons.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 08:36 - Dec 10 with 1737 viewsDr_Parnassus

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 08:06 - Dec 10 by magicdaps10

Would we have been promoted in the 2 seasons of Coopers reign if we had a more adventurous manager?

Coopers reign on paper looked solid but I still think his Conservative style prevented a genuine push for the top 2 in both seasons.

Not sure it can be described as a conservative style. It was a defensive style, they aren’t the same thing.

Same as what Brendan did when he had his success here. One of the lowest scoring in the top half and the lowest scorers in the play offs (with the best defence).

Our squad was extremely limited under Cooper with such little funding for his own players, and especially last year where we didn’t have a proper striker after Gyokeres didn’t work out.

We shouldn’t have been anywhere near the playoffs yet he adapted the plan to play to our strengths and that most certainly was defence (yet still more attacking than we are this season). It’s exactly what managers should do when they don’t have the tools at hand to be able to compete in the ideal way.

Let’s be fair, we have spent £5m this year and still people want to give Martin another 2 transfer windows to spend in before they believe we can be successful this way, so what Cooper was supposed to do with £1m a season God only knows.

What he achieved was remarkable.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2021 11:29]

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 10:59 - Dec 10 with 1712 views34dfgdf54

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 13:01 - Dec 10 with 1672 viewsSkipTheJack

I'm not usually happy to see managers leave, but I think Cooper had to go.

Don't get me wrong, I think he did a great job as a coach even if it wasn't great to watch. We picked up so many points in games we should have lost, and I've never seen that happen in the last 30 years.

But he's not a manager, and he wasn't building towards anything. We just looked like we were getting weaker season by season, with some good loan signings but no plan to build a squad capable of going up and staying up.

I have far more faith in RM, and I'm looking forward to a transfer window for the first time in a long time.
When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 13:23 - Dec 10 with 1658 viewsDr_Parnassus

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 13:01 - Dec 10 by SkipTheJack

I'm not usually happy to see managers leave, but I think Cooper had to go.

Don't get me wrong, I think he did a great job as a coach even if it wasn't great to watch. We picked up so many points in games we should have lost, and I've never seen that happen in the last 30 years.

But he's not a manager, and he wasn't building towards anything. We just looked like we were getting weaker season by season, with some good loan signings but no plan to build a squad capable of going up and staying up.

I have far more faith in RM, and I'm looking forward to a transfer window for the first time in a long time.

Weaker season on season?

Season 1: 6th place. 70 points. Play off semi final
Season 2: 4th place. 80 points. Play off Final.

He is one of the few managers that is the exact opposite of getting weaker. Every year in management has bettered the last with him.

Season 1: Swansea City: 1.52 points per game
Season 2: Swansea City: 1.73 points per game
Season 3: Nottingham Forest: 1.85 points per game

His ability to improve on the season previous while spending almost nothing is remarkable.

The squad was getting weaker as we were not investing in players, but the results were getting stronger. That’s the mark of a fantastic manager and he’s continuing to show that.

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 13:31 - Dec 10 with 1652 viewsmagicdaps10

Got to a point when Cooper was in charge that local doctors were prescribing people with insomnia a ticket to watch us.

God forbid we had another season of that, fans back in the ground.... He wouldn't have lasted the season with that football and a weaker squad AND he knew it.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 13:36 - Dec 10 with 1644 viewsDr_Parnassus

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 13:31 - Dec 10 by magicdaps10

Got to a point when Cooper was in charge that local doctors were prescribing people with insomnia a ticket to watch us.

God forbid we had another season of that, fans back in the ground.... He wouldn't have lasted the season with that football and a weaker squad AND he knew it.

Don’t be so daft, real fans care about the success of the club.

Fans that just want entertainment would quickly get shouted down to go and buy a cinema ticket.

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 13:58 - Dec 10 with 1634 viewsandypitt56

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 10:59 - Dec 10 by 34dfgdf54

Interesting if true, but Ive seen no evidence in the tweet to back up that claim. Anyone know who the guy is?
When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 14:07 - Dec 10 with 1630 viewsDJack

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 13:58 - Dec 10 by andypitt56

Interesting if true, but Ive seen no evidence in the tweet to back up that claim. Anyone know who the guy is?

Google is your friend - CEO of TLC Marketing as it says in his twitty bio.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 14:32 - Dec 10 with 1619 viewsandypitt56

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 14:07 - Dec 10 by DJack

Google is your friend - CEO of TLC Marketing as it says in his twitty bio.

Yeh I read that but have no idea what the company is.
When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 14:43 - Dec 10 with 1610 viewsAndyCole

When Steve Cooper wasn’t flavour of the month at Swansea City, short memory jo on 13:23 - Dec 10 by Dr_Parnassus

Weaker season on season?

Season 1: 6th place. 70 points. Play off semi final
Season 2: 4th place. 80 points. Play off Final.

He is one of the few managers that is the exact opposite of getting weaker. Every year in management has bettered the last with him.

Season 1: Swansea City: 1.52 points per game
Season 2: Swansea City: 1.73 points per game
Season 3: Nottingham Forest: 1.85 points per game

His ability to improve on the season previous while spending almost nothing is remarkable.

The squad was getting weaker as we were not investing in players, but the results were getting stronger. That’s the mark of a fantastic manager and he’s continuing to show that.

Comparing and contrasting our investment profile over the past 3 terms is sobering. Chalk n cheese.

How on earth did Cooper achieve what he did, consistently on such a relative shoestring.

My concern is the potentially blind faith shown by (hapless) Winter in brand Martin. Especially if the rumours are true that we are currently forking out many more millions (net).

Just take a look at Liam Manning, MKDons boss (ex league 2, belgium, no senior managerial experience here) who has revolutionised Martin's ineffective mid table mediocrity, with pragmatism and common sense in mixing it up to deliver winning football.

Winter seems gullible, naive. Let's hope Martin hasn't charmed him into submission, and an open cheque book.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024