Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 16:37 - Feb 12 with 4847 viewssaint68

What the actual fuk was that bullshit on Broja by Maguire!!!

Literally robbed!!

Poll: Who would you want to save this season Pellegrino or Adkins

VAR on 13:35 - Feb 15 with 675 viewsPaleRider

VAR on 12:56 - Feb 15 by ElijahK

Yeah I’ve heard this World Cup thing enough times before, but the World Cup had VAR in it for the first time ever, and none of the PL officials had much, if any at all, experience with it, so weren’t selected due to the fact they wouldn’t necessarily know what to do and need more experience with it (hence why there were English officials at the Euros and will be some at the World Cup in Qatar).
And the reason they didn’t get any of the semi’s or final at the euros last year is pretty clear, as Oliver and Taylor both got a quarter final if I recall correctly, but they’re not allowed to officiate any games that have a direct impact for their nation, so couldn’t do the final as England were in it, and the semi’s as whoever won that was guaranteed to play England or Denmark, so can’t officiate it (and it’s the exact same for the champions league and such as they can never officiate any English teams in those contests ether).

And with regards to VAR, well yes we have certainly had many blatant cock ups in the prem, but a majority of these decisions are just debatable ones, with the back and white ones (like offsides, mistaken identity, whether it was inside or outside the box etc… being given correctly every since VAR was introduced) as there will always be debates for your typical foul and whether it was a pen/not or a red/yellow etc, whilst the black and white scenarios are when only saw losers/people that don’t know that LOTG complain, as to my memory the only two times I’ve seen VAR actually mess up with black and white scenarios are for the offside against Ings when we played Villa at home last season (as he was measured from his arm and not where he could score/play the ball from) and West Brom last season when they disallowed their goal because a player was blocking the camera which meant that you couldn’t see if he was onside or not (even though we all knew he was blatantly not).
As 9 times out of 10 the VAR issues are due to people being sore losers, or just don’t know the LOTG, not that VAR messed up. As yeah VAR certainly is far from perfect currently, but it’s still done better for what it was like beforehand (although that’s just for what’s offside/a foul and not the fans experience at games), but won’t ever be perfect as they’ll always be debate, unless it’s only used for black and white scenarios.

But like I said before, the officiating in England is no different than that of the other major European leagues and is certainly better than most other countries, it’s just refs don’t ever get credit and will be criticised quite often for things they get right (Oliver and the Wolves VS Arsenal incident is a perfect example!).
As basically everything I’ve said above is a fact, as anyone would realise if they’ve ever been in a refs position themselves, or watched foreign leagues/knew the LOTG would agree with me on.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2022 13:02]

So ... are you happy with the quality of refereeing in the Premier League? Or is your view tainted by the fact that you are/have been a referee?

It's absolutely NOT about being a sore loser but about the quality of refereeing being consistently rubbish. It's not helped that referees chicken out of having to explain their decisions or having the audio being discussed. In addition PGMOL and the FA just seem to protect referees rather actually help to explain any "debatable" areas so as to help us mere mortals, who obviously know nothing of the rules of the game or refereeing.

Why is football so different to other sports - eg cricket, tennis, rugby or even a minority sport such as fencing (where there is also an element of debate).
VAR on 16:45 - Feb 15 with 610 viewsElijahK

VAR on 13:35 - Feb 15 by PaleRider

So ... are you happy with the quality of refereeing in the Premier League? Or is your view tainted by the fact that you are/have been a referee?

It's absolutely NOT about being a sore loser but about the quality of refereeing being consistently rubbish. It's not helped that referees chicken out of having to explain their decisions or having the audio being discussed. In addition PGMOL and the FA just seem to protect referees rather actually help to explain any "debatable" areas so as to help us mere mortals, who obviously know nothing of the rules of the game or refereeing.

Why is football so different to other sports - eg cricket, tennis, rugby or even a minority sport such as fencing (where there is also an element of debate).

I wouldn’t say I’m 100% happy, but it’s certainly not going to get too much better, and seeing how no where else in the world is ahead of us by much/if anything at all, on the officiating basis, I’m satisfied with what we’ve got at this current time. As if you look at most VAR mess ups, it’s almost always the same 3 officials who have had them (Dean, Moss and Friend!) whilst basically every other prem ref may have had one major screw up throughout their career, but just one or so, whilst those three have had many more than just 1.

As you don’t ever hear refs get praise when they do have a good game, as the ref for us against Coventry I thought was really decent, but you don’t see anyone on social media, tv or live at St Mary’s ever give him any credit. But when they do have a debatable decision that they’ve gotta decide upon (like the maguire incident on Saturday), they’re guaranteed to get stick no matter what they choose to do. As some saints fan have already said on here that if it was vice versa and given against us they’d be peed off, whilst others have just said it’s a blatant foul for a fact. So with or without VAR/the best ref/the worst ref, your gonna always get unhappy fans and players.

But with the refs doing interviews and such, I myself am personally split, as yeah there a few incidents where I’d love to know what’s going through a refs head, but then again, like I’ve said above, for the debatable ones, no matter what they say it’ll never appease one side, so what would be the point? As you can make refs just do interviews when there’s just been one controversial decision, and not for all the other games, hence why they’d be irrelevant quite often as it would be very rare for a ref (excluding those that I named before) to have many of those.

And the reason why footballs soo different to other sports is because the players, fans and coaches in those sports give the officials a hell of a lot more respect, than those do in football, and also don’t just use any old excuse blaming an official for a loss any time they get the chance, unlike footballers.

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

VAR on 17:00 - Feb 15 with 596 viewsPaleRider

I have a lot of sympathy for your argument but there are a couple of interesting points:

1) You mention respect and you also mention the terrible threesome of Dean, Friend and Moss. The problem for me is that these three have eroded respect for referees and are seemingly immune from censure by the likes of PGMOL. This only serves to deepen the issue rather than to resolve it;
2) I also thought the ref for Coventry was good as well - as was the ref against Brentford. I take your point about complimenting refs for good performances but my view, rightly or wrongly, is that the best officials (in any sport) are almost invisible. Again, the terrible threesome seem not to understand that people pay money to watch footballers not referees;
3) I don't think interviews are necessarily the answer but mic'ing up for some of the VAR decisions would be beneficial; not only for players and fans but also for the refs;
4) I don't think the issue is just referees but the knee jerk reaction of the FA and PGMOL to any criticism, no matter how justified. I think this would regain respect to some extent if refs were able to say "I made a mistake, sorry" but this never happens. We all make mistakes but I respect those who admit to it. It reminds me of when my son was run over by a teacher and the union advised him not to apologise. I genuinely believe that FA & PGMOL need to change their stance before a referee gets attacked, as has happened in Latin America;
5) It's not unreasonable to have expected VAR to sort some of the glaring errors out but this just doesn't seem to work properly in England.
VAR on 17:54 - Feb 15 with 577 viewsElijahK

VAR on 17:00 - Feb 15 by PaleRider

I have a lot of sympathy for your argument but there are a couple of interesting points:

1) You mention respect and you also mention the terrible threesome of Dean, Friend and Moss. The problem for me is that these three have eroded respect for referees and are seemingly immune from censure by the likes of PGMOL. This only serves to deepen the issue rather than to resolve it;
2) I also thought the ref for Coventry was good as well - as was the ref against Brentford. I take your point about complimenting refs for good performances but my view, rightly or wrongly, is that the best officials (in any sport) are almost invisible. Again, the terrible threesome seem not to understand that people pay money to watch footballers not referees;
3) I don't think interviews are necessarily the answer but mic'ing up for some of the VAR decisions would be beneficial; not only for players and fans but also for the refs;
4) I don't think the issue is just referees but the knee jerk reaction of the FA and PGMOL to any criticism, no matter how justified. I think this would regain respect to some extent if refs were able to say "I made a mistake, sorry" but this never happens. We all make mistakes but I respect those who admit to it. It reminds me of when my son was run over by a teacher and the union advised him not to apologise. I genuinely believe that FA & PGMOL need to change their stance before a referee gets attacked, as has happened in Latin America;
5) It's not unreasonable to have expected VAR to sort some of the glaring errors out but this just doesn't seem to work properly in England.

In response to your points…
1: I actually never said that those 3 were terrible, I just said that they’re usually the ones that officiated the game with the VAR decisions that we’re clearly wrong, and even then there’s a major difference between just saying that a decisions wrong, rather than calling them this that and the other. But anyway, going back to the point, I think the reason they get protection is due to the fact that they’ve been in the prem for soo long now, and therefore maybe the PGMOL are just showing them a bit of loyalty, but at the same time I don’t like it when some fans call for refs to be sacked/sent down a level just for one mess up. But at the same time I’ve met EFL officials that have only had a few prem games that weren’t actually that bad, but never got another so it’s a tough one, in which I can’t really answer as yeah they certainly do make mistakes more often than others, but then again they can be criticised for things they didn’t mess up on.

2: I both agree and disagree with the statement “the best officials go unnoticed”, as the best officials usually get appointed to the best games, meaning that the decisions they make will have more people watching them than that of the smaller games, and like I’ve already said, when they get the debatable decisions, are certain to gain some attention no matter what they do. And sometimes certain officials do get noticed due to them getting selected for big games, as Taylor and Oliver are know for actually being pretty decent refs, whilst other PL ones aren’t known for negative reasons like the 3 I mentioned before, but at the same time don’t get as much attention as the decent officials like Taylor and Oliver. As I myself am a ref and have had games where I got a lot of attention due to them thinking I was great and wanting my details for any Friendlies or such they ever got/when refs were unavailable, but have also had games with attention for me being poor, both when I have been rubbish but also when I’ve made fair decisions but because it’s against one team and are just being sore losers being peed off with me.

3:The mic scenario I definitely wouldn’t recommend as sometimes refs aren’t certain when giving things and that’s not good to let the fans know when, as well as it telling fans of how reds do their research into players and players will start going on about them being treated unfairly before KO’s even happened etc. As like the interviews it still will annoy those that it goes against.

4: But the thing is that 9 times outta 10 they’re right in the LOTG, as like it says in law 12 it’s down to the interpretation of the ref, and is always gonna have places to defend themselves with. But even if they were to apologise it doesn’t mean that the decisions gonna change and then apologising would arguably just aggravate fans even more due to the fact that they didn’t realise it on the pitch but can manage to afterwards even with VAR. As when you watch MOTD you can tell when a refs messed up, just like how I know from time to time when I’ve had a shite game and know that it wasn’t my best hour, so it’s just a case of common sense as we all know that Friend made a mistake for the Palace VS Liverpool game, and we all know that even he’d accept that so him apologising won’t change much.

5: Well that’s because we’ll always get into debates over law 12 scenarios (fouls and misconduct) and that was always the same in the past and will always be the same in the future. Hence why I just think it’s best to keep VAR to the black and white scenarios, as then no one can complain and it should work as well as goal line tech has, which has messed up just once over like 5 years or so.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2022 17:56]

VAR on 18:25 - Feb 16 with 487 viewsdarthvader

Well that escalated .
Shudda been a pen

keep the faith coyr

VAR on 20:23 - Feb 16 with 466 viewsElijahK

VAR on 18:25 - Feb 16 by darthvader

Well that escalated .
Shudda been a pen

Wouldn’t say it escalated, just became an interesting debate with both sides having a point

VAR on 05:51 - Feb 17 with 400 viewsPaleRider

VAR on 20:23 - Feb 16 by ElijahK

Wouldn’t say it escalated, just became an interesting debate with both sides having a point

Agreed - at least we agree on something
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024