Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
kevin friend 07:54 - Mar 19 with 1433 viewssaint22

woeful beyond belief in the wolves leeds game
he really is another who needs striking off along with Dean
kevin friend on 08:07 - Mar 19 with 1407 viewscocklebreath

He’s a dick

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

kevin friend on 09:18 - Mar 19 with 1337 viewssolent_toffee

The standard of refereeing in the premier league is disgusting and needs holding to account. That sending off last night was a joke and completely changed the game.
kevin friend on 10:29 - Mar 19 with 1275 viewsA1079

kevin friend on 09:18 - Mar 19 by solent_toffee

The standard of refereeing in the premier league is disgusting and needs holding to account. That sending off last night was a joke and completely changed the game.

I do feel that there is a strong desire in the PL and media to assist Leeds Utd to stay in the Premier League. I am in danger of becoming a conspiracy theorist?

Agree on Kevin Friend - has he ever been a good referee? We don't seem to have a good standard of refereeing or use of VAR compared to our European neighbours.
kevin friend on 10:53 - Mar 19 with 1260 viewsfelly1

kevin friend on 10:29 - Mar 19 by A1079

I do feel that there is a strong desire in the PL and media to assist Leeds Utd to stay in the Premier League. I am in danger of becoming a conspiracy theorist?

Agree on Kevin Friend - has he ever been a good referee? We don't seem to have a good standard of refereeing or use of VAR compared to our European neighbours.

I feel the there's too much emphasis on the performance of referees. It's absolute certainty that every referess in every game at every level will make mistakes. This applies to refs in all other sports.
The only difference is many football fans seem mildly obsessed with their performance, rather than Rugby where refs are respected more.
Why can't footballs fans just accept that mistakes are bound to happen and focus more on players and performances.
Lower level football is suffering because there is a lack of people to ref games due to the abuse and threats they suffer.
This culture stems from fans and players abusing refs at the highest level and it filters down.
It's madness.. Its just a game!!
kevin friend on 10:58 - Mar 19 with 1256 viewscocklebreath

kevin friend on 10:53 - Mar 19 by felly1

I feel the there's too much emphasis on the performance of referees. It's absolute certainty that every referess in every game at every level will make mistakes. This applies to refs in all other sports.
The only difference is many football fans seem mildly obsessed with their performance, rather than Rugby where refs are respected more.
Why can't footballs fans just accept that mistakes are bound to happen and focus more on players and performances.
Lower level football is suffering because there is a lack of people to ref games due to the abuse and threats they suffer.
This culture stems from fans and players abusing refs at the highest level and it filters down.

But if an obvious mistake is made we have VAR to correct it…….

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

kevin friend on 11:56 - Mar 19 with 1225 viewsIanSouthstander

Completely agree.

We get the best players from around the world playing in our league , why can't we get the best referees from around the world ?
kevin friend on 12:13 - Mar 19 with 1201 viewsfelly1

kevin friend on 10:58 - Mar 19 by cocklebreath

An awful lot of VAR decisions are subjective and pundits and fans will debate the decision even with all the camera angles and slow motion replays. I appreciate there are times most people roundly agree the VAR lot have got it wrong. It's just not going to change and I just personally prefer to let it, its in the lap of the gods.. You win some you lose some and many fans conveniently forget when a debateable decision goes our way.
kevin friend on 12:21 - Mar 19 with 1193 viewsdirk_doone

kevin friend on 11:56 - Mar 19 by IanSouthstander

Completely agree.

We get the best players from around the world playing in our league , why can't we get the best referees from around the world ?

I agree. Top foreign officials would also be less biased.

The retirement age for referees should be reintroduced. The referees who've been there too long, like Mike Dean, who'd have been forced to retire under the old rules, have developed their prejudices over many years to the extent that everybody knows which teams they will favour. No Southampton or Arsenal fan wants Dean refereeing their games.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Login to get fewer ads

kevin friend on 15:02 - Mar 19 with 1104 viewssaint22

what a silly argument
they are paid top officials and should be held accountable
week in week out there are glaring errors often by both referee and the var official
what was jimenez meant to do last night, make himself vanish at point of contact??
kevin friend on 17:23 - Mar 19 with 1042 viewsElijahK

In all fairness what did he do wrong in the Leeds vs Wolves game? As yeah he can certainly be poor sometimes, and isn’t the greatest PL official, but what major mistakes did he make yesterday?

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

kevin friend on 17:31 - Mar 19 with 1031 viewsElijahK

But they were both clear yellow card offences…

As the first one I can’t seem to find, but seeing how no ones complaining about it, I presume that one was ok.
But for the second one, a simple question for anyone really questioning it, who won the ball?

And there’s your answer to why it’s a yellow card offence (which no one whatsoever would be complaining about if it wasn’t a second yellow) as it’s pretty clear that the collision was late and injured the keeper (aka reckless and a yellow), as it was always gonna be a yellow to whoever got their last.

kevin friend on 17:39 - Mar 19 with 1024 viewsElijahK

Well it’s nice to see that some fans realise that it ain’t easy to do.
As both sides have points and I think you’ve named all the points for the officials side (although you can also throw in that if the players actually performed better anyway, then they wouldn’t need to rely on the officials decisions to get results), as well as some people criticising officials for things they get correct (like offsides and such), as not enough realise that a majority are up for debate, and as law 12 states, it’s just down to the ref’s opinion.

But the fans/players do have a point on the fact that some of the blatant mistakes (that we have VAR for) should’ve be made whatsoever and have no excuse for. As well as some of the inconsistencies with certain things like offsides, handballs (although that has been a lot better this season).

But at the end of the day, both sides need to realise that they could do more, and like you’ve said above, it’s probably not gonna get much better with how few want to be refs (as I myself am a young adult and only know of 6 other local officials (so the whole SO area) that are around my age, with 90% of refs being like 50<), and that people need to respect them more, as well as not being soo arrogant to them for things to get better (as nothing winds me up more when refs get criticised for things that they certainly got right (like the Oliver incident with Wolves or this one today)).

kevin friend on 17:40 - Mar 19 with 1023 viewsElijahK

kevin friend on 10:58 - Mar 19 by cocklebreath

Not all the time as this one was a yellow so it can’t intervene

kevin friend on 17:42 - Mar 19 with 1023 viewsElijahK

kevin friend on 11:56 - Mar 19 by IanSouthstander

Completely agree.

Well that’s just a load of BS, as very few in England watch the foreign leagues, meaning that it’s only the UEFA tournaments that anyone watches (and to officiate in them is basically like how you qualified for them (by being the best of the best)), as I watch many foreign leagues all the time, and their VAR decisions can be just as baffling as the ones over here are, so no it’s got nothing to do with the refs over here, but all refs in general if you wanna criticise them.

kevin friend on 17:44 - Mar 19 with 1019 viewsElijahK

kevin friend on 12:13 - Mar 19 by felly1

An awful lot of VAR decisions are subjective and pundits and fans will debate the decision even with all the camera angles and slow motion replays. I appreciate there are times most people roundly agree the VAR lot have got it wrong. It's just not going to change and I just personally prefer to let it, its in the lap of the gods.. You win some you lose some and many fans conveniently forget when a debateable decision goes our way.

You’ve got it spot on again felly1, but the only thing I’d personally say different is regarding VAR for the future as I think it should be just for the back and white decisions that only idiots or so or losers argue with, as that ends all controversy all together then.

kevin friend on 17:49 - Mar 19 with 1013 viewsElijahK

kevin friend on 15:02 - Mar 19 by saint22

what a silly argument
they are paid top officials and should be held accountable
week in week out there are glaring errors often by both referee and the var official
what was jimenez meant to do last night, make himself vanish at point of contact??

Well it ain’t silly whatsoever, it’s spot on, and only those that haven’t ever tried officiating/putting themselves in their shoes would think that.
As Jiminez last night could’ve not gone diving in/realising that he wasn’t gonna get there first, so as he’s on a cautioning, play it safe and not go in for it, but no he took the risk and suffered the consequences. As the LOTG are their for players safety and to keep the sportsmanship of the game intact, so a players intent isn’t that relevant whatsoever to most laws.
As you say they should be held accountable, but are they not anyway? As everyone loves to criticise them when they do mess up (and even many times when they don’t mess up), yet no one praises them when they do well.

kevin friend on 20:08 - Mar 19 with 957 viewsfelly1

kevin friend on 17:44 - Mar 19 by ElijahK

You’ve got it spot on again felly1, but the only thing I’d personally say different is regarding VAR for the future as I think it should be just for the back and white decisions that only idiots or so or losers argue with, as that ends all controversy all together then.

Hi Elijahk, I ref my kids football team home games. No other parent volunteered.
It's only when you actually do it and realise how everything happens in a split second and your view can be impeded etc etc. Ultimately you end up upsetting someone.
I've learned to respect referees alot more!!
kevin friend on 20:31 - Mar 19 with 941 viewsElijahK

kevin friend on 20:08 - Mar 19 by felly1

Hi Elijahk, I ref my kids football team home games. No other parent volunteered.
It's only when you actually do it and realise how everything happens in a split second and your view can be impeded etc etc. Ultimately you end up upsetting someone.
I've learned to respect referees alot more!!

Yeah well refereeing altogether does help you see soo much from a different angle and is what has helped me to understand what it can be like.
I mean I myself am a Wessex league official and have been officiating since I was 14, and am currently part of the FA Core group (aka academy referees), so it makes me one of the few people that defend them on here and other social media platforms, as yeah they do mess up sometimes, but nit enough people realise how hard it is, and why it won’t get any better with how they’re treated (as I can have may decent games, but when I have the odd poor one (which even then sometimes aren’t poor/might not have been, but can be hard to tell as a teams just being a load of soo losers) the amount of abuse I can get is unreal and unacceptable!).
But it’s nice to see that some other do realise/see the other end of the argument and will actually get of why it’s not as black and white as people seem to think it is. And as you’ve just proven, you don’t even need to be a high level ref to realise all this, as just doing your kids games can teach you it all

kevin friend on 21:21 - Mar 19 with 908 viewsfelly1

kevin friend on 20:31 - Mar 19 by ElijahK

Yeah well refereeing altogether does help you see soo much from a different angle and is what has helped me to understand what it can be like.
I mean I myself am a Wessex league official and have been officiating since I was 14, and am currently part of the FA Core group (aka academy referees), so it makes me one of the few people that defend them on here and other social media platforms, as yeah they do mess up sometimes, but nit enough people realise how hard it is, and why it won’t get any better with how they’re treated (as I can have may decent games, but when I have the odd poor one (which even then sometimes aren’t poor/might not have been, but can be hard to tell as a teams just being a load of soo losers) the amount of abuse I can get is unreal and unacceptable!).
But it’s nice to see that some other do realise/see the other end of the argument and will actually get of why it’s not as black and white as people seem to think it is. And as you’ve just proven, you don’t even need to be a high level ref to realise all this, as just doing your kids games can teach you it all

👍👍👍
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024