Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Falklands 40 07:36 - Apr 2 with 1257 viewsJaySaint

40 years since the start of the remarkable effort by the UK Armed Forces to liberate the islands.

Poll: Who is responsible for Liverpool's defeat?

Falklands 40 on 08:02 - Apr 2 with 1230 viewsNumber_58

I remember first hearing about the Argentine invasion and no-one knew where the Falklands were. Most people thought they were somewhere off the coast of Scotland! Later I recall going down to Hythe waterfront to watch the Canberra go out, and then as the conflict developed, the government's rather morose spokesman (Ian MacDonald, I think) giving out updates on the war on telly each evening. I also remember Saints drawing 5-5 with Cov and then finding out about the sinking of HMS Sheffield on the way home. Doesn't seem like 40 years ago.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2022 8:03]
Falklands 40 on 11:59 - Apr 2 with 1143 viewsChesham_Saint

Falklands 40 on 08:02 - Apr 2 by Number_58

I remember first hearing about the Argentine invasion and no-one knew where the Falklands were. Most people thought they were somewhere off the coast of Scotland! Later I recall going down to Hythe waterfront to watch the Canberra go out, and then as the conflict developed, the government's rather morose spokesman (Ian MacDonald, I think) giving out updates on the war on telly each evening. I also remember Saints drawing 5-5 with Cov and then finding out about the sinking of HMS Sheffield on the way home. Doesn't seem like 40 years ago.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2022 8:03]

I think you mean John Nott?

The recent channel 4 documentary is worth a watch as the deaths sustained by opening a second front seem to be down the ego of one Rupert’s ego - now being criticised at last by his fellow officers.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Falklands 40 on 14:05 - Apr 2 with 1088 viewsDorsetIan

Falklands 40 on 11:59 - Apr 2 by Chesham_Saint

I think you mean John Nott?

The recent channel 4 documentary is worth a watch as the deaths sustained by opening a second front seem to be down the ego of one Rupert’s ego - now being criticised at last by his fellow officers.

No, John Nott was the Defence Secretary.

He's talking about the guy that used to appear on the telly with announcements about the war. A real 'ministry' character who was on the telly every night talking very slowly, and then he disappeared again as soon as the war was over.

John Nott stormed off an interview with Robin Day after being called a 'here today gone tomorrow' politician. Think he resigned as Defence Sec eventually too.

Those were the days!

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024